PDA

View Full Version : Cut layers

annis
June 9th, 2008, 12:53 PM
How do I cut my own hair when I have layers in it? Anybody who's done this with good result?

jojo
June 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I have heard or read on here? that if you put your hair in a high pony, twist and cut the ends off you get a layered effect.

Not sure on how to cut existing layers though, hopefully somebody will know for you. x

Madam Librarian
June 9th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Unless you are trimming just the bottom most layer of hair (i.e., people who are growing out their layers often trim like this), I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. It's way too easy to fall into the trap of, "Oops, I cut a little too much on this part, lemme just even that up...Oops, I cut too much here now, lemme go back and even that up..." until you are left with more hair gone than you intended.

Ask me how I know. ;)

If I just want to trim up the very bottom layer, I separate that part out and use the Feye method (in a nutshell: scrunchie or barrette in a ponytail, slide the scrunchie/barrette as close to the ends as you can, trim...please do a search on this and don't attempt to follow my shoddy instructions!) on that part only. I did this just yesterday.

I've tried the compact layering technique, the one jojo described where you make a ponytail out in front of your nose and cut it. I didn't care for the way it turned out. The layers seemed very blunt and jagged and didn't blend very well at all.

I used to have a layered cut where if I bent at the waist and brushed my hair forward, it would fall in a straight line. I used to just trim a little bit by following that line. If your hair happens to fall this way, this might work. The hair from around ear level and below never seemed to fall low enough to trim this way, so it really isn't a very complete trim. It's really only good for getting nasty ends out of the front and top.

If you are looking to keep your layered style, I would find a salon/stylist that you trust. It's just too difficult to get right on your own head.

snowbird
June 9th, 2008, 09:14 PM
That depends, what is your hair type/texture?
My hair is very layered and curly, and I'm able to cut it myself because any mistakes are 'absorbed' into the texture. However, I imagine this wouldn't be possible with very straight or fine hair that would show an uneven cut.

annis
June 10th, 2008, 01:54 AM
My hair is fine and wavy/light curly depending on if I style it or not. Last time I cut my hair she just held it up above myhead and cut it there and I'm NOT pleased with it so I don't want to go to a hairstylist again.

spidermom
June 10th, 2008, 10:34 AM
You could make a ponytail on top of your head, then bend forward and slide the pony-holder toward the floor, which makes the ends splay out, and trim those. That's how I kept my layers in relatively good condition while I was growing them. I'd only trim the tiniest bit of tip-ends.