PDA

View Full Version : Super Shedding

KellyGormley
January 31st, 2011, 08:09 PM
So I've noticed lately I lose a lot of hair in the shower anywhere between 50 to 100 strands of hair, and I do lose hair through out the day when I touch my hair of if I put it up and take it down. So I was wondering if the fact that I wear my hair up a lot, and its curly contributes to lose in the shower, my boyfriend says its because during the day it doesn't fall out it just gets all tangled so when I shower it looks like a lot but its all my shedding for the day, even still what can I do to reduce shedding?

LisaEvans
February 1st, 2011, 06:14 PM
I'm with you on this one. I know that 50-100 some hairs is normal shedding in a day, but I get so nervous when I see that clump in the shower ><

I have wavy hair that has thinned out a little since I got into my 30's. I know for a fact that the shedding i have is considered 'normal' but I still worry.

I keep my hair up or braided most of the time and I have the same shower scenario that you have. I got so nervous the other day that I kept the clump and counted each individual strand. *sigh* neurotic behavior at its worst! It was a little over 100 but I shower every other day and had my hair braided the whole time. Your boyfriend is correct in that if you have your hair up all day, all of your shedding is going to happen in the shower so it looks terrifying.

*sigh again* now that I've got that out of the way, there are some things you can do that may help reduce shedding. It's hard to guarantee everything because it depends on whether or not your current shedding is normal and healthy, and it is certainly in the normal and healthy range.

1 - regular scalp massage - this increases blood flow to your scalp keeping the follicle nourished.

2 - eating healthy - again, keeps the follicle nourished.

3 - exercise - exercise helps increase blood flow all over, including your head :)

4 - a cleansed scalp - no matter what washing method you use, shampoo/conditioner/water/baking soda etc. make sure you're thoroughly scrubbing your scalp. Thorough, but gentle, no fingernails. This will keep your follicles clean and and help blood flow and oxygen access for your follicles.

5 - if you wear your hair up in any way, make sure that you're not putting too much tension on the hair. If you regularly wear your hair up in ways that cause a lot of tension, you could damage the follicle, especially around your hairline.

6 - not sure if this applies to you personally, but it's a big deal for hair: no smoking. Smoking does all sorts of things to your circulatory system. I've noticed that almost all smokers I've met (including myself, yes, I smoke even though I know I should stop) have thinner hair. Goes back to that blood flow/nourishment you need for a healthy scalp.

Mainly, it's about keeping yourself healthy in general. If you do all of the above for at least 3 months consistently, and don't notice a difference in the amount you shed, then what you're shedding is healthy and normal and not going to change.

Hope I've been helpful or at least sympathetic :D

virgo75
February 1st, 2011, 06:29 PM
I agree with your boyfriend and LisaEvans gave great advice.

Just wanted to add that if you're very concerned about the amount of shedding, a trip to the doctor to get a check up and blood levels checked should set your mind at ease.

I hope you shedding decreases soon. :flower:

Anywhere
February 2nd, 2011, 07:24 AM
Thirding LisaEvans

I found that I lose a ton of hair when I keep my hair up all day.
But I'm also anemic so my hair kind of just falls out more than usual, I found that iron pills and [eating] coconut oil has calmed my shedding down a bit. I believe I read somewhere on this thread that hair needs EFAs to be healthy so thats why I eat the oil.

It could be that you've changed your routine and the shedding has gradually increased because of it? For instance I shed like a cat when I shampoo, but other people shed a lot when they CO their scalp.