PDA

View Full Version : Could stretching washes be making my scalp flip out?

Charlotte:)
January 31st, 2011, 08:09 PM
Here's some background information:
A few years ago, I used to wash my hair every other day, and I had no scalp problems whatsoever. Then I found LHC and started stretching washes to every third day, and I still had no scalp problems whatsoever. Over the summer I tried washing my hair once a week, but that would make my scalp itch like crazy and I would shed a lot.

Since then I have been washing every third day again for several months, but now my scalp is flipping out again. Not only is it itchy, but when I scratch it there is white stuff under my fingernails (sebum, I think). Does this mean I should wash every other day again? Or is the sebum just not being distributed well enough for some reason? Or perhaps it's a fungal thing? What do you think?
P.S. My scalp gets greasy pretty quickly (by the second day), if that makes a difference.

HintOfMint
January 31st, 2011, 08:38 PM
It could be a bacterial thing. Some people have sensitive skin on their scalps, so excessive washing can irritate it. For the rest of us, regular washing is a necessary part of good hygiene.

The white stuff is probably sebum mixed with skin cells and is normal if you haven't washed it. If you're starting to get that icky scalp smell, I'd say it's time for a wash because the bacteria that lives there is probably starting to thrive on the excess sebum and skin cells. It's probably causing the itching too, although that could be from the dry winter air.

Think about it, our hair traps most of the debris on our scalps so it can't really clean itself. Brushing helps but it's not the best way to get a clean scalp.

Try washing every other day and try CWC, or scalp-only washes (if your hair is long enough) to protect your ends if that is a concern.

spidermom
January 31st, 2011, 08:56 PM
Do a clarifying wash.

Wash your hair whenever you think it needs to be washed. That's my policy.

Cybelle
January 31st, 2011, 09:05 PM
If you are also noticing flakes it could be dandruff. I get itchy when My scalp gets dandruff. The white stuff you are mentioning sounds like dead skin cells. Dandruff can be easily remedied with over the counter shampoos or home made treatments. If the itching persists you can always go see a doctor just to be sure. Hope your scalp gets well soon :flowers: ciao.

Peter
January 31st, 2011, 09:08 PM
At one point I had stretched my washes to once a week, but during the last 2-3 days of each week, my scalp was really greasy and itchy. I've since gone back to shampooing every 4 days and my scalp is happier.

Wash as often as you need to.

julya
January 31st, 2011, 09:10 PM
I think it is important to keep your scalp happy. If you think that washing more often could help, I would give that a try. Are you still using the same products as before?

Annalise
January 31st, 2011, 10:02 PM
I've just changed my routine (going from CO six days a week and shampoo once a week to shampooing twice a week).

Anyway, I'm finding that on day four after shampooing my scalp is really itchy. And there's some flakes when I scratch it. My hair is dry, so it doesn't look greasy by day four, but I can definitely feel that my scalp is by then.

I've never had this problem before in my life. I think it's the oil that's accumulated on the scalp. I'd like to only wash once a week, but I don't think my scalp will be able to handle it.

owlathena
February 1st, 2011, 05:14 AM
My scalp has been really itchy for the past two weeks. I had my boyfriend check me for lice! It wasnt lice, and I dont have any dandruff. Today I added some baking soda to my shampoo to really get out whatever it was making my head so itchy, and now I'm perfectly itch free. It might be worth a try.

lapushka
February 1st, 2011, 01:14 PM
I normally have to wash my hair twice a week so it doesn't appear greasy (and that is already stretched). For a very long time now, my hair can only be washed every two weeks, or once a week, making it uber greasy a lot of the time; and yes, all of a sudden my scalp protested with being very itchy, and by producing odd, big, flakes (not like regular dandruff). It only went away by using Nizoral (2%). Now my scalp is fine again, so I don't think it's the frequency of washing, necessarily, though it might contribute.

Athena's Owl
February 1st, 2011, 01:37 PM
I wash my hair when it itches. the time between washes varies.

teela1978
February 1st, 2011, 01:43 PM
If I don't wash every couple of days with a sulfate shampoo my scalp starts to break out in little pimples. So yes, washing more might clear up your scalp. Some people have the exact opposite reaction though.

irishlady
February 1st, 2011, 01:44 PM
Hmm my scalp bothers me often too, I'm glad you asked this.

I personally find that coconut oil massaged into my scalp before washing helps.

MsBubbles
February 1st, 2011, 03:14 PM
Charlotte: I usually pop in to such threads to offer my own experience, and the 'you're not alone' vibe :). And I called your hairtype silently to myself before looking at your hairtype in your details :p.

After a year of being here at LHC and reading about how people went a week without washing their hair I used to think there was something wrong with me for having such a greasy scalp. I bought into the theory that 'the only reason you get greasy hair after 1 day is because you're washing it too often'. So I tried stretching it. What did I find?

That when I was my (scalp) hair every day, it gets greasy again at about 24-36 hours afterwards.

That when I stretch my washes several days - and attempting it over a long period of time - my hair gets greasy again at about 24-36 hours afterwards. :rolleyes:

There is no change. This apparently is how I am chemically. I also get little white balls migrating through my hair that I have to be careful of. Greasy hair + little white balls = major grossout to my co-workers! There might be some food allergy reason for it but these days I'm eating clean and there's no change. My Dad has this problem, and I have his hairtype exactly, so I think it's just biological.

This set me off wondering "how can I grow my hair to great lengths and not wash the daylights out of the ends, while looking groomed and clean for work?". The answer to that one is in the "Scalp wash". There are plenty of threads and at least one article about scalp washes here. I basically bag my ponytail and wash my scalp every other day.

I hope this helps.

wavymane
February 1st, 2011, 03:35 PM
I notice that my scalp requires more then just the pads of my fingers to clean it if I don't wash daily. I like to stretch my washes to every 3rd day too. I use my denman brush in the shower and it scrubs better & leaves me cleaner.

Charlotte:)
February 2nd, 2011, 09:56 PM
Thank you everybody! I shall look into these scalp washes some of you speak of. They sound like just the thing I need :)

Hmm my scalp bothers me often too, I'm glad you asked this.

I personally find that coconut oil massaged into my scalp before washing helps.

It's funny that you mention this, because I massaged coconut oil into my scalp and left it in over night before washing it out the other day, and it really did help with the itching! So I wonder if it's bacteria or fungus that causes scalp problems, because coconut oil is both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 10:01 PM
Do a clarifying wash.

Wash your hair whenever you think it needs to be washed. That's my policy.

I agree with this. You can oil and massage right before too