PDA

View Full Version : need a hug....sigh...

lovinmylife
January 31st, 2011, 07:32 PM
I'm posting from my phone so please excuse typos. My hair is thinning sooooo bad :( when I flip my head over and lookout my hair can see through it. I literally have strands... and I del like its getting worse.:( it is growing in length but you can see my scalp at my crown. If you could give me any suggestions or ideas on how long it normally takes to see improvement? I am currently taking biotin.flax seed oil pills. Saw palmetto. And gingko biloba. And to make it all worse..4 doctors..and none believe me since my hair is so long.:( any tips?please!!:( or if not..hugs are appreciated too.<3

ancilla
January 31st, 2011, 07:40 PM
*hug* You poor thing, I'm sorry you're so down. I don't understand why four doctors wouldn't take your concern seriously! (I have to ask, but were they all male?)
Could you perhaps post a picture?

Mesmerise
January 31st, 2011, 07:41 PM
I don't have advice for you BUT I KNOW exactly how you are feeling!!

This happened to me last year... for a period of several months I lost TONS of hair... I literally lost at least 1/3 of my hair... the thickness is only about a i now...it looks stringy at the end... and for awhile my scalp looked really obvious!!

My hair finally stopped its massive shed (why I don't know...) and the hair started growing in at the roots again, but of course it's still thin :(

I think if it were to happen again, I'd try the supplements and also castor oil as I read on the form that castor oil can stop shedding!! Good luck and BIG HUGS!

HintOfMint
January 31st, 2011, 07:41 PM
Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear this. At least you're getting to see a doctor about this. I don't know if you knew your ponytail circumference before the shedding, but if you do and you can tell them that there is a significant difference between that circumference and the one you have now, maybe they'll believe you.
Also ask for a blood test to determine any hormonal things out of whack, or any nutrient deficiencies.

When my hair had a little shed about two years ago, no one believed me either because, 1. it's relatively thick and remained so, and 2. it was on the longish side, so I feel ya on that front.

I hope everything works out for you!

lovinmylife
January 31st, 2011, 07:54 PM
Thank you so much for the hugs. I know stress is bad for hair but I literally just spent an hour crying :(
To answer some of the que mastions.. no not all of the drs were male. 2 female & 2male. All of them keep telling me....well you are young you will be fine. Your hair is so long. Pshhh. Its...but very very thin.:(:(::( I am still a ii in thickness but barely. I don't know my starting diameter but when I started here it was @ 2.5ish. Now...barely 2.:( I can't post a pic since I'm on my phone. But I will tomorrow. I will def start the caster oil. Do I just glop it on then wash it off later? Lol. But seriously? Are there any other vitamins I should be taking?

Madora
January 31st, 2011, 08:03 PM
Were any of your doctors trichologists? Have you had your blood tested for anemia or vitamin deficiencies?

Do you eat a healthy diet?

Has your thyroid been checked to make sure it's working like it should?

As for vitamin supplements, biotin seems to be very popular with many LHCers, as well as MSG, fish oil and several other vitamins. Some folks notice improvements while others do not...and it can take months to actually benefit from the supplements.

Hang in there! In the meantime, be gentle to your hair and baby it as much as possible. Good luck and (((hugs))).

virgo75
January 31st, 2011, 08:10 PM
I'm so sorry you're going through this. :grouphug:

2nd the suggestions from Madora to see a trichologist and get bloodwork done.

I hope you're able to find the cause and solution quickly. :flower:

ladycaladium
January 31st, 2011, 08:15 PM
First :grouphug:

I'm going to third the seeing a trichologist and bloodwork. Have them check for vitamin deficiencies so you know what and how much of it to take.

Did you have any stressers a few months ago?

And a deep breath. And one last :grouphug:

s_tresses
January 31st, 2011, 08:30 PM
It's very natural to feel what you are feeling. It's a very helpless feeling when you realize you can see your scalp through your hair especially at a young age. I used to have very thick hair as well, its thinner now but that's not what bothers me, what bothers me is a bald spot getting bigger with time starting at the middle of my scalp near my forehead. People don't believe me until I point it out because it's easy to hide since I have a lot of hair to begin with.

Anyway, you seem to be taking a lot of vitamins and I am only familiar with biotin but I haven't tried it myself because it makes my skin worse. I am not familiar with hair benefits from flaxseed but it does help your digestive system thus contributing to overall health which can be tied to hair growth. Having good overall health should be one of the first few goals. That said, I think first you need to find out the underlying condition,if any, for your hair thinning or loss. You need to go to a dermatologist and get your scalp checked out and full blood work done. I was diagnosed with Seborrheic Dermatitis and prescribed Luxiq foam but I didn't continue with that for long because I just didn't feel like putting harsh chemicals on my head and using harsher shampoos to wash it off. That might have been one cause for my hair loss and it is for many other people. The good news is that hair that is lost from SB can be grown back.

A few things to look for on your blood test
_ Your thyroid
_ Hormones
_ Iron Deficiency
_Vitamin D deficiency
_Zinc Deficiency

I am deficient in iron and Vitamin D which are also contributing factors. I take supplements for these now.

A few things that you should do to for prevention and encourage hair growth
_ Scalp Massages
_ Brushing the scalp with boar bristle
_ Essential Oils ( You'll find a thread in the recipes section I believe)
_ Castor Oil - this is a thick oil, you might want to dilute it with a thinner oil and then massage onto your scalp
_ Incorporating more natural things in your routine to wash your scalp with
_Stop using things that pull your hair ex: blow drying it straight etc.
_Meditating to help with stress.

Good luck!

Herb
January 31st, 2011, 08:36 PM
Aw, dear. I know how you feel. *hugs* :flower: