PDA

View Full Version : Does the sauna cause hair damage?

ibleedlipstick
January 31st, 2011, 03:43 PM
I tend to go into the sauna for about 15 minutes after I've worked out and showered. My hair is always up in a pony, and mostly dry (I don't sweat *that* much, but maybe a tad) and I don't lean my head against the wall. It is maintained at 160 degrees, and I go in there maybe 3x a week. I'm not too worried, as I've been doing it for a while without noticing any damage, but I wanted to make sure it was okay and I'm not doing anything wretched to my hair.

MissManda
January 31st, 2011, 04:13 PM
Hmm, I've only been to a sauna twice, but I didn't notice any damage afterwards. Hopefully someone who goes to the sauna more frequently chime in because I have no idea how it could affect hair over a long period of time.

The only thing I noticed after the sauna was that when I let the sockbun I had been wearing all day down a few hours later, I had the absolute best bun curls I've ever had. My hair was very voluminous and the curls held really well (my hair MUST be completely dry in order to hold curls/waves, so sleeping on it doesn't always work because it takes so long to dry). XD It wasn't dry or frizzy or anything.

PeacenQuietGal
January 31st, 2011, 04:17 PM
I am surmising here, but, by my logic if you were to say put a deep conditioning treatment or some oil of some type in you hair, I think the environment would be roughly the same as using a heat cap with deep conditioner.

I had the very same question myself, just yesterday, so I am looking forward to reading others thoughts.

chopandchange
January 31st, 2011, 04:19 PM
We've had this question before.

The conclusion was that dry heat is probably not very good for one's hair, and that the steam room would be a better alternative.

However, if you wet your hair before going in the sauna, then although the air would be dry, your hair wouldn't, so the dryness of the air wouldn't matter. You could even take advantage of the heat by doing a deep treatment if you put lots of conditioner or oil on your hair before you go in.

I suppose the heat was what set the curls in your hair.

Rocket22
January 31st, 2011, 04:19 PM
I'm not too sure either but I always want to put a hair pack on and then go in there... seems like that would works wonders, but it's a co ed sauna and I might get busted in there with funny stuff all over my head :)

Vampire
February 3rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
Ok, i'm a finn and we do love our sauna :D
I'v done some major research on the matter...what i have found out is that a REAL sauna is too hot for the hair, so u need to protect it, BUT don't wet your hair, if your hair is dry, wrap it with a dry towel,(was something to do with wet hair absorbing the heat more etc)
BUT if you have already been to a shower or a swim etc. and gotten your hair wet, then wrap it in wet towel

and what i like to do is after sauna and washing myself and my hair and putting on my last conditioner, i go and sit on the lower "steps" for 5 mins and then rinse, my hair loves it

MissManda
February 3rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
Well then, methinks that the next time I go to visit my sauna-loving friends that I'll have to bring some SMT supplies along... Heh, heh, heh... :D They'll look at me kind of weird, but I don't mind.

Maddy_T
February 3rd, 2011, 06:16 PM
When I had hair it always used to go super frizzy after a trip to the sauna! I imagine it somehow dries it out?! Definitely seconding the conditioner whilst in there idea!. :)