PDA

View Full Version : shedding season is with me again!

jojo
June 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I have never really paid too much attention as to when my hair sheds, so don't know if this is the 'norm' for me but I am shedding loads. I haven't sat there and counted them, like life's too short yeah? but id guess ive gone through virtually nil shedding to 100 or more a day.

I shampoo just once a week, using a sulfate free shampoo, rinse with a horsetail or catnip rinse and then add a small amount of cone free conditioner. My diet is pretty healthy, lots of salads, veg and fruit and admittedly I dont drink a load of water but I do drink juices and ahem...diet drinks. I am under a great deal of stress at the moment so I understand this could have contributed to it.

My last big shed was in September, I cannot remember how long it lasted.

Maybe this is normal but is there anything I can do to discourage this shed?

TIA:)

florenonite
June 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I'm shedding loads too, at the moment, though I always shed a fair amount, which I'm hoping is seasonal (I actually took out an elastic at the pool yesterday and there was a clump of wet hair on it), so I can sympathise, though I haven't got any advice to offer.

jojo
June 9th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Its such a pain isn't it? I have just been finger combing to try and stop it. After I have done this, my hands look like they should belong to a gorilla, well not exactly but you get my point!

Hopefully it will only be around for a short while, think positive those old loose hairs are being pushed out by our future long hairs!

Curlsgirl
June 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I almost always have a new batch of hair AND a nice growth spurt after a major shed. I just had the shed and now am seeing all kinds of baby hair and new growth! My thinking is if they hair is going to come out that just finger-combing will just delay it. I could be wrong though, have been a few times before. :D

Anje
June 9th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I'm shedding way more than usual, too... Probably should this thread as a reminder to de-hair the drain when I get home.

ladystar
June 9th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Me too I wonder why. When I wash I shed more. :rolleyes:

jojo
June 9th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I wonder if the reason I havent noticed it in the last few years (since my hair was last long) is because they were short?

My DH is going mad, we have a white bathroom and he keeps thinking theres a crack in the sink, then goes mad because its one of my hairs!

Yes I think the poster who said finger combing is only delaying the shed is right, oh Im dying for a good old brush!

Just a few more questions!

How long does it normally last for?
Is shedding a sign my hair is resting?

julya
June 9th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I have been shedding for a little more than five months, and gone from a iii to ii in thickness. I haven't really been totally successful at getting my shed rate back to normal, but it has been slowing down some. I've tried WO washing, and now herbal rinses. I also have been taking vitamins.

lapushka
June 9th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I am shedding more than usual too, still actually, have been shedding for a few months now.

paper
June 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM
My DH is going mad, we have a white bathroom and he keeps thinking theres a crack in the sink, then goes mad because its one of my hairs!

LOL, That sounds familiar Jojo. We're remodeling our house and living in it same time. A few weeks ago, I was shedding bad, it has stopped, thank goodness. Anyways my DH been putting up dry wall and painting and mumbling under his breath about hair being everywheres! Finally I asked him, whats the matter? He said it's a losing battle trying to work with hair getting in everything. I told him it's just more noticable, because my hair is getting longer. I told him I could cut it, he said no, no, don't do that! :p

Juliet's Silk
June 9th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I'm shedding too, I noticed it last week because I shed much more than I usually do after a wash and I continue to shed day after day even without washing. Sigh. I shouldn't wonder too much about it, I always have growth spurts in the summer so it just makes sense that I shed more, if everything goes faster up there. :rolleyes:

burns_erin
June 9th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Shedding does seem to be normal and cyclical, but if you think maybe it is more a matter of the stress, try to up your B vitamins. Also, what I do is use a Rosemary and Basil "tea" rinse and light scalp massage. It seems to help, but maybe it is one of those chicken egg things, and I only think it is working, so it works because I am not as stressed about it.