View Full Version : Terminal length how do I know?

sayshell
January 31st, 2011, 08:31 AM
So for the last half year I have been taking really good care of my hair, like 1/20 hairs has a split end, and I basically have no physical contact with it. It hasn't grown at all in 1.5 years though. I am sure its not breakage that is causing it to stop growing. I am really depressed about it, is their anything I can do? I always wanted really long hair but never had the chance to grow it and now it gets stopped before its even long. How do you know if its at termnal length? Most people say mine is too short to be max length, but it never grows no matter what I try. http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o40/desvio2000/hau.jpg

Madora
January 31st, 2011, 08:51 AM
How long you can grow your hair depends on your genes.

Also, how are you caring for your hair? Do you exercise the roots by brushing? Massage?

Some members take supplements to aid in hair growth..but while it may work for some it doesn't do a thing for others...and it takes time to kick in.

Biotin seems to be very popular.

spidermom
January 31st, 2011, 09:01 AM
What does "no physical contact with it" mean?
No combing or brushing?
No washing?

obssesif
January 31st, 2011, 09:05 AM
Do you oil your ends? that will help in reducing splits.. And I second vitamins

Alvrodul
January 31st, 2011, 09:06 AM
Have you also taken a good look at your combs and brush? I used detangling tools that actually caused a lot of damage to my hair - after I bought seamless combs and tossed all my old ones, I have noticed that my hair gets much less damaged!

Aeltt
January 31st, 2011, 09:32 AM
Hmm.. How do you wear your hair everyday? Having hair down or wearing the same hairstyle everyday can be damaging (the elastic of the ponytail always rubbing on the same part of the hair for example).. it can create a "false terminal".

For the terminal length, in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47739&) :
i’m not sure if this is the general consensus, but insofar as i’m aware, your hair is at terminal length when it

* has fairy tale ends {shape of hair…hem? is wispy, thins rapidly, & is v-shaped}
* if you cut or trim it, it grows back to the length it was at before
* your hair just stays at the same length for literally years, in spite of continuing to grow

sayshell
January 31st, 2011, 09:35 AM
I comb it, but I don't brush it. I wash it twice a week usually. I do oil the ends. No physical contact means basically I don't crush it in chairs or while I sleep or anything like that.

sayshell
January 31st, 2011, 09:36 AM
I wear it just hanging like in the pic

spidermom
January 31st, 2011, 09:46 AM
Some people do have a shorter terminal length than others. I had a roommate years ago who didn't cut her hair for 8 years (at least), and her hair got no longer than somewhere between APL and BSL. It didn't look like terminal length - the ends weren't uneven and wispy. She didn't do anything particularly bad to it.

You might try regular small trims (such as 1/4 to 1/2 inch every 3-4 months) to get rid of the split ends. It could be that you're getting more breakage than you know. The simplest things can cause break-down of the ends - like washing in hot water, being in the sunshine, pools, the sea, wind ... the list goes on. We all do what we can to protect hair from damage, like cover it in the sun, wear it up, and so forth.

Do you use conditioner?

sayshell
January 31st, 2011, 10:44 AM
Well like I said I do trim the split ends off, like maybe 1/20 have split ends. Its pretty even. I sit in a dark basement all day every day, and I do use conditioner, and leave on conditioner. I have also tried not using conditioner. It basically makes no difference other than how shiny it looks.

Valdeon
January 31st, 2011, 11:01 AM
Do you take any vitamins? You may try different kinds of stimulations for faster hair growth.
After all, terminal length is no actually length, but the time each hair growth multiplied by the speed of its growth.

sayshell
January 31st, 2011, 11:28 AM
Do you take any vitamins? You may try different kinds of stimulations for faster hair growth.
After all, terminal length is no actually length, but the time each hair growth multiplied by the speed of its growth.
I dont take any vitamins but the doctor said after my blood test that everything is perfect. I will try biotin. Why not. See that is what I don't get, my hair is always exactly the length it is now, its never off. If I cut it it will grow exactly to this length within 2 mm.

Angelica
January 31st, 2011, 11:50 AM
Your hair from the picture reminds me of what mine used to look like. So I would try wearing it up occasionally. A French pleat is a nice easy style.

Regarding the conditioning. It helps to comb through easier.

Mine seems to be really long (for me) right now, but it'll never have a lot of thickness.

Perhaps try some scalp massages.

Unfortunately some people can't grow their hair very long - but since yours does remind me of mine, I think yours can grow longer :)

I have stopped trimming by the way (at least for now). :)

enfys
January 31st, 2011, 01:50 PM
One in twenty hairs is split? That seems fairly high to me suggesting that there is damage happening. Not massively high, but still a cause for concern. I'd recommend you try wearing it up. It may be as simple as friction on your back breaking it or damaging it.

lyria
January 31st, 2011, 01:58 PM
I wear it just hanging like in the pic

Maybe you could try wearing it up more to protect it? Aso, check out the supplement and monistat threads and article here. i don't ave personal experience with them, but they are fairly popular here.

Good luck!

Avital88
January 31st, 2011, 02:05 PM
I dont think this is your terminal lenght..I have thought that about mine a few times before too, i recommend a trim,half or 1 inch and eat more proteins.
For example: 2 boiled eggs every morning for at least a month and scalp massages , and green tea may help too.
I hope you will get your hair to grow! Its very nice..

sayshell
January 31st, 2011, 02:20 PM
One in twenty hairs is split? That seems fairly high to me suggesting that there is damage happening. Not massively high, but still a cause for concern. I'd recommend you try wearing it up. It may be as simple as friction on your back breaking it or damaging it.
really? If I trim my hair every month it will still be like 1/20. They won't be big splits I thought that was really low. + most the splits are on the shorter hairs so trimming wouldn't even get them. At my length I get too many negative stereotypes. I think if it was longer people wouldn't associate me with homeless people and such.

sayshell
January 31st, 2011, 02:22 PM
I dont think this is your terminal lenght..I have thought that about mine a few times before too, i recommend a trim,half or 1 inch and eat more proteins.
For example: 2 boiled eggs every morning for at least a month and scalp massages , and green tea may help too.
I hope you will get your hair to grow! Its very nice..
thanks your the first person to have ever said that. I will try scalp massages I guess, because I haven't tried it yet... worth a shot.

enfys
January 31st, 2011, 02:25 PM
really? If I trim my hair every month it will still be like 1/20. They won't be big splits I thought that was really low. + most the splits are on the shorter hairs so trimming wouldn't even get them. At my length I get too many negative stereotypes. I think if it was longer people wouldn't associate me with homeless people and such.

Have you heard of search and destroy? It's basically going through your hair in little sections and snipping off splits that you see. You don't have to do it all at once!

That will possibly be a help, and is certainly worth a try.