PDA

View Full Version : In Need of Transition Suggestions

CaveB
January 30th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Hello everyone! I just need some new ideas for getting past this awkward phase with my hair. I've looked at lots of previous posts about growing out super short hair and lots of people mention little ponytail nubs and clips, and there is my dilemma. I work as a receptionist in a big name salon (that shall remain nameless) and we can't wear ponytails or any large accessories. I'm growing out an undercut style that is pretty much at a super short graduated bob right now, lots of layers and the hair at my nape is only about an inch long, not even really long enough for the nub anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions to get past this phase??? I ask the stylists and they make cut suggestions (arrgh!) and I'm really starting to feel the frustration of this commitment. I've made a hair pact with one of the girls, we've both agreed to let our hair grow and not get any major cuts, but her starting point is much longer than mine and easier to fix. Thanks so much!

HintOfMint
January 31st, 2011, 12:07 AM
Perhaps a thin headband would work?

Also if the front sections are long enough, you could french/dutch braid the front along the hairline.

Dragon
January 31st, 2011, 12:21 AM
Maybe a bandana.

frizzinator
January 31st, 2011, 02:20 AM
I recommend wearing one of the Ficcare headbands or their tiny little clips that look like mini-maximas. These hair toys are understated enough to look professional.

milagro
January 31st, 2011, 03:30 AM
You write they don't allow ponytails but I don't think they would object to a very low pony. For more neat look you may tuck the bunch of hair under the pony holder or wrap it in a color-appropriate scarf.
Second thin headband, too.

mellie
January 31st, 2011, 06:34 AM
Little mini-clips are very cute and not obtrusive! I used them all the time when growing out a pixie.

turquoisebud
January 31st, 2011, 06:44 AM
Support the thin headband idea. That's what first popped into my mind. Maybe black of brown, or whatever colors your work allows. :)

sherigayle
January 31st, 2011, 08:20 AM
Every time I've grown my hair out from a short cut, I've cut the hair at the nape as the shorter hairs grew out. Once it was all the same length, it was much easier to grow out with fewer awkward phases. I know you don't want to get major cuts, but it can really help your sanity to keep the nape trimmed until the rest catches up.

bumblebums
January 31st, 2011, 08:31 AM
Slick it back with lots of product. Just be careful what you use--some gels and such really dry out your hair. I've actually found that leave-in conditioners work like product, without damaging the hair. You can also make your own (google homemade hair product recipes).

Madora
January 31st, 2011, 08:55 AM
I'm also on the headband wagon. Just be sure it is soft and has no metal in it.

spidermom
January 31st, 2011, 08:57 AM
Pretty clips or barrettes to pull the front back, lace braiding along the front hairline, head bands, product to slick it back. All things mentioned before but deserved repeating.

CaveB
January 31st, 2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Looks like it's time for hair toy shopping! :D