PDA

View Full Version : Can someone differentiate BCL and TBL for me?

Kherome
January 30th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I'm confused by the difference between BCL and TBL. Anyone care to help by showing a photo of each or explaining the difference? I thought they were the same.

Shell
January 30th, 2011, 09:43 PM
My tailbone is about one inch higher than my BC, provided I understand your abbreviation. Around here one inch is a mile when measuring hair. I hope that makes sense. :)

squiggyflop
January 30th, 2011, 09:46 PM
sometimes butt cracks start higher than the end of the tailbone (where the bone is, you can feel it).. my mothers starts um hmmmm well lets just say its much higher than the actual bone..

so um feel down your um behind, there will be a bone, the very bottom of it is tailbone length..

now compare that to where the um crack starts..

i dont know why but my whole post has made me uncomfortable for some reason, maybe its just my sleeping pills kicking in

end of the tailbone is tailbone length, not the beginning

MissManda
January 30th, 2011, 09:47 PM
For some people, including myself, BCL and TBL are about the same length, but for others, their tailbone is further away from the top of the vertical smile, so it really depends on your proportions.

Kherome
January 30th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Hehe, ok I've got it, no need to be embarrassed:poot:

sometimes butt cracks start higher than the end of the tailbone (where the bone is, you can feel it).. my mothers starts um hmmmm well lets just say its much higher than the actual bone..

so um feel down your um behind, there will be a bone, the very bottom of it is tailbone length..

i dont know why but my whole post has made me uncomfortable for some reason, maybe its just my sleeping pills kicking in

pepperminttea
January 30th, 2011, 10:04 PM
For some people, including myself, BCL and TBL are about the same length, but for others, their tailbone is further away from the top of the vertical smile, so it really depends on your proportions.

Agreed. BCL is within an inch of TBL on me.

virgo75
January 31st, 2011, 08:07 AM
He he, I always wondered why there were 2 different measurements and I thought they were basically in the same place. :p

Stray_mind
August 30th, 2014, 06:00 AM
My BCL is exactly the same as TBL..

Angela_Rose
August 30th, 2014, 06:25 AM
I always considered BCL to be about halfway down my butt, like a midpoint on the way from TBL to Classic.

leilani
August 30th, 2014, 06:39 AM
My BCL is about half an inch higher than tailbone.

Caraid♫
August 30th, 2014, 07:13 AM
well now I'm confused! :laugh: I measured the sit down and measure the distance form your hair to the seat way, and I had 6 inches to go, but if I just measure by actually trying to find the end of my tailbone, it's only 2 inches. Hmmm, I think I like this method of measurement better! (But does actually make more sense- your tailbone isn't necessarily level with the seat when sitting, at least mine isn't!)

harpgal
August 30th, 2014, 08:52 AM
There is no such thing as BCL. In longhair circles the term used is Tailbone (TB).

lapushka
August 30th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Your TB is about an inch down an into your BCL.

eadwine
August 31st, 2014, 04:09 AM
How can tailbone be lower than butt crack?

Or is the BC something else???

Marika
August 31st, 2014, 04:39 AM
I don't see any reason to use the term BCL. Just call your hair TBL, it's close enough. Nothing against butt cracks but I feel like there are too much unnecessary terms.

lapushka
August 31st, 2014, 07:29 AM
How can tailbone be lower than butt crack?

Or is the BC something else???

I'm going to be a bit vulgar here now... Hold onto your hats people! :lol: If you stick a finger into your but crack, you will be able to follow along a bone there. That's TB and it is a bit lower.

eadwine
August 31st, 2014, 08:08 AM
*gasp*

Mind if I DON'T try that...?

lapushka
August 31st, 2014, 08:23 AM
*gasp*

Mind if I DON'T try that...?

No, don't mind. ;) :lol:

harpgal
August 31st, 2014, 10:53 AM
I'm going to be a bit vulgar here now... Hold onto your hats people! :lol: If you stick a finger into your but crack, you will be able to follow along a bone there. That's TB and it is a bit lower.I'm not one to argue, however TB length is measured at the top of the tailbone (the sacrum), not at the bottom. While the tailbone itself (the coccyx) does extend down the derriere, TB length for long hair is (and has always been) designated at the top.

I reached TB 10 years ago and can't remember ever having to run a finger....well, you know. For the life of me, I have no clue who or what has changed the TB designation and or come up with the vulgar BCL designation, but they are not correct...unless everybody in the longhair world wants to make that change. Perhaps, that is what has happened, who knows.

bunzfan
August 31st, 2014, 11:04 AM
I'm not one to argue, however TB length is measured at the top of the tailbone (the sacrum), not at the bottom. While the tailbone itself (the coccyx) does extend down the derriere, TB length for long hair is (and has always been) designated at the top.

I reached TB 10 years ago and can't remember ever having to run a finger....well, you know. For the life of me, I have no clue who or what has changed the TB designation and or come up with the vulgar BCL designation, but they are not correct...unless everybody in the longhair world wants to make that change. Perhaps, that is what has happened, who knows.

Oh that is most interesting :D the difference from what they class as bcl and tbl isn't that far away on me so that means i won't have that long at all. I've noticed it seems to be tailbone i mean just where the pockets are on your jeans.

lapushka
August 31st, 2014, 11:12 AM
I'm not one to argue, however TB length is measured at the top of the tailbone (the sacrum), not at the bottom. While the tailbone itself (the coccyx) does extend down the derriere, TB length for long hair is (and has always been) designated at the top.

Good to know. I always thought TBL was lower than BCL, maybe I'm wrong. :shrug:

eadwine
August 31st, 2014, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't mind the whole BCL to be forgotten, or changed to SDL (sit down length, where you sit it hits the seat) ;)

leilani
August 31st, 2014, 12:01 PM
Butt cracks are not the most elegant conversational term....tailbone is by far sufficient, I agree. But since bcl is pretty unmistakable and everyone imagines tbl to be in different spots, I guess we need more frequent and well defined explanations of tbl on these forums.

lapushka
August 31st, 2014, 01:24 PM
Butt cracks are not the most elegant conversational term....tailbone is by far sufficient, I agree. But since bcl is pretty unmistakable and everyone imagines tbl to be in different spots, I guess we need more frequent and well defined explanations of tbl on these forums.

Totally agree with that! :agree:

peachyleshy
August 31st, 2014, 02:11 PM
I'm kinda new and I wasn't quite sure what BCL stood for. I was thinking "below classic" or "butt cheek" (hehe). But classic is below you're butt cheek, right? Anyways, I'm curious now if my tail bone and butt crack start at the same place. :)

Sparklylady82
August 31st, 2014, 05:27 PM

I just giggled out loud reading this...your too cute!

Hootenanny
August 31st, 2014, 05:58 PM
Strictly (anatomically) speaking, the tailbone is the coccyx.

Please see:
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/tailbone-coccyx-injury
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/tailbone_coccyx_injury/article_em.htm
http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spine-anatomy/anatomy-coccyx-tailbone
or google "location of tailbone" for even more info.

Having established that, it remains the case that the exact location of the coccyx differs from person to person. Some may find it below BCL, others may find it above, and yet others may find both in the same spot.

I know this is quite an old thread, but hopefully it helps some of the newer posters who are curious about this topic! :)

meteor
August 31st, 2014, 06:42 PM
I have to admit: part of the reason I'm really looking forward to reaching "classic" length is that it sounds a LOT nicer than BCL or butt-length hair. :)

By the way, I wonder: what exactly is "butt-length" or "hair down to your butt": is that BCL or TBL or something else?

Oh, and does anybody know where the expression "Classic length hair" came from? My guess would be - it's commonly depicted in classical art... but I could be entirely wrong, especially given that during "classicism" era fashionable hair was significantly shorter than classic length. :hmm:

zmirina
June 17th, 2019, 04:05 PM
I always considered BCL to be about halfway down my butt, like a midpoint on the way from TBL to Classic.

that's what i thought!

lapushka
June 17th, 2019, 04:44 PM
that's what i thought!

BCL halfway down? But the BC is way up there. LOL! No? At least it's not quite halfway in my case.

MusicalSpoons
June 17th, 2019, 04:57 PM
Oh okay, if we're reviving the thread: I've seen many variations of this discussion but don't think I've participated until now, because I never *quite* understood why there was confusion. Now I do!

I thought the two were the other way round, for me anyway.

That's so interesting, and the first time I've read this explanation. I'd just assumed the end of the tailbone would be the milestone marker, but thinking about it, we don't wait until the bottom of the thigh or the calf to call those milestones (which I guess would be more common for traditional longhair circles than shoulder, waist, etc.) :hmm: I understand the desire for a marker between the original TBL and classic length, ~halfway which for many may be reasonably close to the end of the coccyx. However I have even seen Classic marked in slightly different places on different hair length charts, which upon learning about milestones I really truly thought classic was fairly unanimously understood :confused:

I wouldn't mind the whole BCL to be forgotten, or changed to SDL (sit down length, where you sit it hits the seat) ;)

For me, that SDL would be what I thought was TBL; BCL is higher than that on me ... and therein lies much of the confusion, I think!

Edit: lapushka your, erm, directions on a previous page were spot on :grin: Though having spent much of my childhood sat cross-legged on hard floors, I didn't understand why people would need directions - again the assumption in my part being that everyone's was in the same place. It seems it really truly does depend on individual proportions plus the amount of padding around there ... !

lapushka
June 17th, 2019, 05:06 PM
Edit: lapushka your, erm, directions on a previous page were spot on :grin: Though having spent much of my childhood sat cross-legged on hard floors, I didn't understand why people would need directions - again the assumption in my part being that everyone's was in the same place. It seems it really truly does depend on individual proportions plus the amount of padding around there ... !

Yeaaah, I know; had to explain it somehow. LOL!

Dark40
June 17th, 2019, 05:16 PM
I agree with Angela_Rose. I've always thought that TBL was where your butthole is.