PDA

View Full Version : Question about the oil shampoo thing?

Kherome
January 30th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I've seen the oil shampoo threads around and seen quite a few people speak of it. I'd like to try it, but I've not been able to find the actual quantity recipe anywhere! Can someone tell me what the ratio is? 1:1 shampoo and oil, 2:1 shampoo and oil? Thanks!

pepperminttea
January 30th, 2011, 07:29 PM
It's different for everyone. 1:1 works for me, but it depends on hair type, what your scalp likes, etc. Experimentation's the best way to find out. :)

silverjen
January 30th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I followed the thread for a while, and 1.5 shampoo to 1 oil seemed to be the most common.

I hope it works for you! Unfortunately I didn't have the same level of success that others do.

ericthegreat
January 30th, 2011, 07:40 PM
You should send a message to or PM ktani, she is the one who originated the coconut oil shampoo thread. She should definitely be able to help you out in figuring out the right oil/shampoo ratio for your hair.

You can also follow her official thread here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025&page=409 However, as that thread is now miles and miles long, you would probably get the information your looking for much faster if you talk with ktani directly.

Kherome
January 30th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Well just to give it a whirl I kind of "winged" it. I mixed it 2 table spoons shampoo to 1 tablespoon of my unrefined coconut oil.

I can tell already my hair feels sort of "heavy" and will probably be greasy looking when dry, but we'll see I guess! I could be wrong. It does feel soft though. I'm just working tomorrow anyway so it'll be up and I don't care if I'm greasy at work.

Chibbylick
January 30th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I started at 1:1. am now using 2:1 Shampoo to oil. Play around with it, some people are even using different ratios on different parts of their length. If you feel a little too oily, try wrapping your hair in cling wrap, and doing a warm blow-dry, this helps the oil penetrate your hair shaft, and you may find you are not over oiled at all.

pepperminttea
January 30th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Well just to give it a whirl I kind of "winged" it. I mixed it 2 table spoons shampoo to 1 tablespoon of my unrefined coconut oil.

I can tell already my hair feels sort of "heavy" and will probably be greasy looking when dry, but we'll see I guess! I could be wrong. It does feel soft though. I'm just working tomorrow anyway so it'll be up and I don't care if I'm greasy at work.

Did you clarify first?

skaempfer
January 30th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Did you clarify first?

I was just about to ask this. If you don't, it's likely the oil is just sitting on the hair, instead of soaking in.

Debra83
January 31st, 2011, 12:02 AM
I've been playing around with it yesterday and today too!