PDA

View Full Version : Feathers

LaurelSpring
June 9th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I collect feathers and would like to be able to wear them in my hair sort of Native American style. Does anyone know a good way to do this so that they will be secure? Has anyone tried this? Any ideas would be helpful.

BlackfootHair
June 9th, 2008, 09:18 AM
HA! I'm actually looking forward to the day I can do this! When I was in Middle School I did wear turkey and pheasant feathers in my hair when I went horse back riding. I just stuck them up under my pony tail holder. I usually sort of "weaved" the quill back and forth. I can't wait till I can wear two braids in the front and adorn my hair with feathers. :)

betsala
June 9th, 2008, 09:35 AM
something that i do is use thread to sew/ wrap a feather to the end of a leather cord or fabric ribbon. then i braid the ribbon into my hair. it anchors the feather and looks neat.

missmanytoes
June 9th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I haven't tried this, but I do have some feathers if you want them. I have a cinnamon pearl cockatiel and I've collected her shed tail feathers for some time. Her tail feathers are mostly white with brown speckles all over them and vary in length from ~5-6 or so inches. I also have a couple of Amazons and have some beautiful green feathers with yellow and red splotches on them. I may even have some of the blue wing feathers with red on them. Entire wing feathers from any of my birds are a rare thing since I usually clip them, but every now and then I let it go longer than I should. PM me your address and I'll be happy to send you a selection.

Elainehali
June 9th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I've worn peacock feathers. I just glue them to bobby pins and stick them at the base of my bun.

To get a native american feel I'd make two braids behind the ears and stick the feathers in a few places along the braid.

I think they will stay if the pins are hidden inside the braid and the feathers are pointing down.