PDA

View Full Version : Brushing hair?

lovinmylife
January 30th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I have wavy, kind of curly hair (the second day my hair is spiral curls).
I have always brushed it.. carefully.. from tips up after I have conditioned it, then left it alone. I can't brush it dry.. it will just frizz. But I have been hearing a lot about now brushing/combing hair wet.

What is your take??

HintOfMint
January 30th, 2011, 11:13 AM
This may be an unpopular response, but, as long as the brush is gliding through your hair smoothly, and you're not taking apart tangles, gently brushing wet hair should be fine. If you are detangling wet hair, perhaps a wide tooth comb or your fingers could be better.

haibane
January 30th, 2011, 11:19 AM
The tightly curly method recommends brushing hair wet to detangle:
http://www.tightlycurly.com/
It's all in what your hair likes. :)

bumblebums
January 30th, 2011, 11:22 AM
The tightly curly method recommends brushing hair wet to detangle:
http://www.tightlycurly.com/

Right, although note that in that method, you only brush hair after you've put conditioner in it. If you brush hair after it's been rinsed clean of conditioner, which is more typical, you are more likely to tear it with a brush.

haibane
January 30th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Right, although note that in that method, you only brush hair after you've put conditioner in it. If you brush hair after it's been rinsed clean of conditioner, which is more typical, you are more likely to tear it with a brush.
Yeah, thanks for pointing that out, forgot to mention it. :o

spidermom
January 30th, 2011, 11:32 AM
It depends on what your length goal is. The longer the goal, the more careful you have to be. I've decided just this week not to comb (or brush) my hair at all while it's wet because I've got a lot of split ends and don't do many damaging things to my hair. I noticed that my hair seems to stretch (which weakens it) if I comb it while it's wet, even with conditioner in it. At shorter lengths, combing it wet worked just fine.

Venefica
January 30th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I detangle with my fingers and then carefully brush my hair, when the comb or brush hit a snag I stop and loosen the snag with my fingers before continuing brushing. I usually do not comb wet hair tough, but I do comb damp hair and I have personally never had any problems with it.

squiggyflop
January 30th, 2011, 11:43 AM
i comb in the bath/shower under running water, then i detangle again after i turbie it for a while.. you just have to be careful and use a seamless comb.. but it really depends on your goal length, if your goal is knee length then i would try not to comb wet.. if your goal is classic, go ahead as long as you are careful.. but brushes are much worse than combs.. i removed the seams myself from a mebco shower detangler.. i use that as my everyday comb.. its huge and doesnt fluff up the hair as much as a brush..

ibleedlipstick
January 30th, 2011, 11:47 AM
My hair isn't curly, but I use my TT in the shower after the conditioner has been on my hair for a while. To me, if it doesn't feel like it is pulling/snagging my hair, it is probably okay.

Madora
January 30th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hair is at its weakest when its wet/damp. Thus breakage is more prone to happen if you brush.

If your hair has frizzies/bushiness after washing, then try putting a small amount of coconut oil on the palms of your hands, then pressing your palms down the length of your strands.

lovinmylife
January 30th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Thank ya'll so much!!! I really appreciate the help. I am probably going to "hoping to" grown my hair down to hip length. But right now my main concern is stopping my shedding, and regrowing my hair/making it thicker. I have lost a lot of volume (im thinking b/c of my birth control). I am taking (in pill form), saw palmetto, ginko biloba, a multivitamin, biotin, and flax seed oil.

Kat Girl
January 30th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I've always heard that hair I most fragile when wet and that you should try to not brush or comb it while wet, or at least do so at a minimum.

ooo
January 30th, 2011, 03:56 PM
When wearing my hair curly I don't brush or comb. I might finger comb while washing out the conditioner. The next time I would comb or brush is, when I decided to not wear my hair curly for a day or something.

Dark Queen
January 30th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Hair is prone to breakage when it's wet, so just be careful. I've found the best thing to do is detangle it before wetting it and using my fingers to smooth conditioner/shampoo where it's needed without roughing it up. After getting out of the shower it shouldn't need to be combed again, and you can wait until after it's dry.

rose.grace
January 30th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I think it depends on the brush. Nylon bristle brushes, :no: I would not do it.

Tikwichka
January 30th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Until recently I brushed when wet. I stopped as I noticed my hair was stretching and I was shedding. I then switched to a comb, but noticed the same problems, just smaller in scale. Now, I wait until it is dry, keeping it braided. I have similar hair to lovinmylife, so this is what I recommend :)