PDA

View Full Version : Motivation for keeping hair up

HintOfMint
January 30th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Hey everyone, lately I've been really stubborn about wearing my hair down even though it tangles like the dickens.
I know that, for my hair, wearing hair up is better for preventing damage, but I simply cannot summon the motivation to do so.

Lately I've been feeling very moody, hypersensitive, and almost incurably sad, so I've been focusing more on looking nice all the time so it's not as obvious to others that I feel like such a mess. I look better with my hair down than up, so it's really hard for me, right now, to put my hair into an updo.

But this is taking a toll on my hair. I'm dealing with tangles like I never have before. How do you motivate yourself to keep your hair up, if you need the motivation in the first place?

PrincessTieflin
January 30th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I am a curly whurly.. so my motivation is to keep the frizz away!

That and I hit a major stall and had a major shed last year, so my lenght is kind of messy and scraggly looking..

I thickened up my bangs to soften my updos.. My face is so round that I need something to "decorate my face"

Sorry I Am not much help

CarpeDM
January 30th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Been there. When I need this kind of motivation I tend to look at hair styling ideas that I really like and think I can try out on my own hair. There are a lot of really cool braided updos you might like if you peruse through the LHC albums...

Wanderer09
January 30th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Get some new hairtoys? That always motivates me to keep my hair up, both because I want to show off my new pretties and because I'd feel bad buying something if I wasn't going to wear it. Face-framing layers or bangs are another suggestion, if you're not averse to it (and if you don't have them already).

Panth
January 30th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I'm motivated by the fact that I know from prior experience that my hair cannot grow past TB without being up all the time. I don't want to damage the last couple of months' growth and I know it will get damaged very easily and very quickly...

Having said that, I have some lazy updos for lazy/busy days (pretzel bun, nautilus) and for headachey days (single english plait, pinned up crownbraid-esque - works if the headache isn't too bad). I do fancy/experimental ones on the weekend when I have time, if I have the inclination.

Getting a flexi-8 helped a lot as it makes my pretzel/nautilus buns easy, quick and secure.

squiggyflop
January 30th, 2011, 11:33 AM
hmm my motivation is the very large amount of pain detangling severely matted hair causes..
other than that getting my hair caught in everything.. um accidentally getting hair in my mouth.. my hair dipping into my food, or my hair might be too greasy that day..

i never really feel the need for motivation.. i just hate it being in my way so it always finds its way into an updo.. i guess my motivation is how annoying it is down

spidermom
January 30th, 2011, 11:36 AM
A long, difficult detangling session motivates me. Much easier to comb through after it's been up than when it's been down. Plus the way my hair gets in my way when it's down motivates me to put it up.

Venefica
January 30th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Well wearing your hair up allot give you ample excuse to buy lot of hair sticks. It is so much easier to convince yourself to splurge on yourself when it is for items you will actually use, much more sensible to.

ibleedlipstick
January 30th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Hey everyone, lately I've been really stubborn about wearing my hair down even though it tangles like the dickens.
I know that, for my hair, wearing hair up is better for preventing damage, but I simply cannot summon the motivation to do so.

Lately I've been feeling very moody, hypersensitive, and almost incurably sad, so I've been focusing more on looking nice all the time so it's not as obvious to others that I feel like such a mess. I look better with my hair down than up, so it's really hard for me, right now, to put my hair into an updo.

*Bold mine

Me too, it has been a terrible week. I'm never quite sure if anyone else does this, but I tend to look way better if I'm miserable, because I put a lot more effort into my appearance to avoid the "What is wrong with you? Are you okay?" questions/pitying looks.

I, too, look better with my hair down, so I just condition more and try to find a way to make myself happier. It doesn't happen too much, and if wearing it down makes me feel even the slightest bit better, I will do it.

:grouphug: I hope you feel better soon.

Blandine
January 30th, 2011, 11:53 AM
My motivation is that I think it is cool to know 50-something different hairstyles and to have, and know how to use, all those fancy hair toys, and to learn new styles and the use of new hair toys all the time.

krissykins
January 30th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I don't like the feeling of hair in my face all the time. That motivates me to keep it up!

Also, just think of all the damage to your hair caused by it getting caught in seatbelts, doors, etc. when it's down. Whenever I wear my hair down, I always regret it because it gets caught between the strangest places...

CrisDee
January 30th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Toys! Shiny, sparkly toys! My hair's too short right now to put up, so toys are my motivation not to trim. They'll be my updo motivators when the time comes for me. :D

Madora
January 30th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Two things motivate me to keep my hair up:

1) Tangles. My bete noir. The less time I have to deal with them, the better. Also, less messing with them means less damage.

2) I have a very close hairline and having my hair down would be extremely irritating..not to mention feeling like a warm blanket and constantly getting in my way.

QMacrocarpa
January 30th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I find that when I keep track of something, I tend to be better about doing it. I started an updo log at the beginning of January (nothing fancy, just the date and the updo(s) plus a few notes about things that did/didn't work) and I've worn my hair up every day since. Maybe it would work for you too. A new month is about to begin-- what about challenging yourself to wear your hair up X days per week for the month of February?

peronella
January 30th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I just started wearing my har up everyday last week. So I've got 3 days under my belt so far lol. I love to wear my hair down and I feel I look odd with it all up but Its fine and it's gotten to a length where it's been getting damaged by my seatbelt and coat. By the second day ( I know right?) I almost quit. But instead i played with it a little and ended up twisting the front part of my hair (the part that used to be my bangs but I think it will work at any length...I hope so anyway) into 2 little twists on either side and then putting it up, the updo holding the twists in place. I think It looks softer, and I feel prettier with it this way instead of all pulled back severely . and it has a kind of vintage-y old time-y feel, which I personally love.

I know I just started but I feel confident so far that this trick will pull me through my goal to wear it up everyday for a month (I swear thats as long as I can go but maybe i'll get used to it ;) ) I dont know if it will work for you but I'm sure there will be many other tricks on this thread to so I'll be watching with interest because I'm sure I'll need more.

as for motivation, I want my hair to get long quicker so I can wear it down more when its long. We'll see how that goes. :)

Jenn of Pence
January 30th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Ug, my motivation will now be having to get a trim. :p I knew my ends would have to go since they were previously damaged, but I was trying to keep them as nice as I could for as long as possible. Finally the tangles were just getting too bad, and I couldn't afford any more splits. So I finally coughed up the trim, and now I'm motivated to keep the ends as pristine as possible, including more updos. It's just that I also really love to wear my hair down, too! Also, I hate having my neck and ears exposed when it's so cold during the winter; even with a scarf and a hat or ear muffs, it's just not as same as a warm, comfy halo of hair! :)

Anywhere
January 30th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I used to never wear my hair up, but over time I've decided I look much better with my hair up. (That and my ends are so thin and scraggly that I want to hide them until my thickness can grow out)

joiekimochi
January 30th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Getting a pretty hair toy that is sturdy and comfortable! I used to get cheap toys that tugged and snapped, so I didn't like to put my hair up. When I got a high quality one, like a Flexi8, I found out how much nicer it is to wear my hair up!

Kherome
January 30th, 2011, 08:16 PM
My motivation is protecting my hair and keeping it out of my face.

I'm not a terribly vain person so I'll confess that I am a farm girl and live in dirty jeans and tee shirts, with boots usually decorated by one type of manure or another. I will tell you how I see it, and if someone thinks I look ugly with my hair up they can look the other way, know what I mean?

I wouldn't spend much time worrying about if you look "better" with your hair down. I bet you're awesome either way.

just_ace
January 30th, 2011, 08:44 PM
The hot weather we have been having lately has been great motivation (it was 40 C yesterday - 104 F) so it was almost necessary to keep my hair off my neck and back, as well as having some new hair toys to play around with! I am much like you in the sense I feel I look better with my hair down, but I think that comes from the fact it is what I am use. I have been trying to get over that lately.

Dragon
January 30th, 2011, 08:50 PM
The heat is what motivates me as it’s so hot here at the moment, and also the tangles.

Dragon
January 30th, 2011, 08:52 PM
The heat is what motivates me as it’s so hot here at the moment, and also the tangles.

Kaeita
January 31st, 2011, 07:48 PM
There's a thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=102) for a "wear your hair up for X length of time" challenge, would that help?

HintOfMint
January 31st, 2011, 08:24 PM
*Bold mine

Me too, it has been a terrible week. I'm never quite sure if anyone else does this, but I tend to look way better if I'm miserable, because I put a lot more effort into my appearance to avoid the "What is wrong with you? Are you okay?" questions/pitying looks.

I, too, look better with my hair down, so I just condition more and try to find a way to make myself happier. It doesn't happen too much, and if wearing it down makes me feel even the slightest bit better, I will do it.

:grouphug: I hope you feel better soon.

I'm sorry you've been having an awful time too. I'm always dressed up in general, so if I'm not looking put together, people notice and can tell I'm having a bad day. The problem is, I can't really tell anyone why I'm upset, because it involves a few people and I would rather not have anyone knowing our business, so I have to just put on a brave face like nothing is wrong.

Things are looking up though, and hopefully soon I won't have to fake happiness.

Thank you for your kind words.

Get some new hairtoys? That always motivates me to keep my hair up, both because I want to show off my new pretties and because I'd feel bad buying something if I wasn't going to wear it. Face-framing layers or bangs are another suggestion, if you're not averse to it (and if you don't have them already).

I already have bangs, and they help quite a bit. Unfortunately, I can't fit any trips to Etsy for me in this month's budget. *sad face* Maybe a ribbon I have lying around the apartment could help. Later on, perhaps a vintage comb could be nice for my french twists.

I find that when I keep track of something, I tend to be better about doing it. I started an updo log at the beginning of January (nothing fancy, just the date and the updo(s) plus a few notes about things that did/didn't work) and I've worn my hair up every day since. Maybe it would work for you too. A new month is about to begin-- what about challenging yourself to wear your hair up X days per week for the month of February?

There's a thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=102) for a "wear your hair up for X length of time" challenge, would that help?

That's definitely helped me in the past and I've posted on the thread before. I would keep it up until a party or big assignment/final. I may keep it up until the weekend, depending on what I'm doing, or until Valentine's Day (I'm hosting a slasher-themed party. There will be champagne, sushi, and horror movies). Hopefully that will keep me going for a week or so.

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

julliams
January 31st, 2011, 10:43 PM
The heat! We are having a bit of a heat wave all this week and I can't bear the thought of having my hair down - it's like wearing a cape.

Lianna
January 31st, 2011, 11:26 PM
Hot weather, less mechanical damage, toys, thinking about the time I couldn't put it up at all and wanted/needed. I long for the day I can do a braided updo.

owlathena
February 1st, 2011, 12:13 AM
I've been having pretty low self esteem lately also. I just logged on to lhc just now hoping to lift my spirits a little. I've been so stressed out with moving/school/family/trying to find a job that I've just left it down a lot more than usual because I think it looks better that way. I also "look better" when I'm feeling bad about myself because thats when I wear makeup and dress up a little. Buying new hair toys encourages me to wear it up, at least until the "newness" wears off. Maybe watch some youtube videos and find some fun style you've never tried before? The closest things I've been doing to updos lately is that I've been experimenting with half back styles and the occasional braid(I really want to get good at fishtail braids! I think they're so pretty on other people but every time I try it I think it looks terrible).