PDA

View Full Version : Hair rant

hanne jensen
January 30th, 2011, 02:27 AM
My hair is being very bratty. It's been a brat all of 2010 and is continuing into this year. I've done everything possible to promote growth and to protect my hair against damage. What is the result? My hair is:

1. Refusing to be put up. Every day is a battle to put it up in a
protective style. After 1 hour of battling today, I gave up.

2. No matter how gentle I am, it just tangles and breaks.

3. Grows very slowly now. In 2010, I grew 12 centimeters.
Now, it's creeping along at .75 centimeters a month.
Usually, I grow like a weed in winter. And yes, I use mn.

Now, I see everybody and their sister Jane with long hair flapping around in all sorts of weather. Their hair just gets longer and longer.

So: NO MORE MR. NICE GUY!!! It's given absolutely no results! I'm tired of fighting my hair. Now, it's down and will remain down until it's learned it's lesson. If it means maintaining at this lenght, so be it.

Believe me, I've really tried everything. My hair is just being an absolute brat now.

I thought that long hair was supposed to be low maintenance. Not mine! I'm really tired of using over an hour a day on my hair to no avail.

Folks, this is a rant about my hair, NOT LHC.

Just had to vent. End of rant.

linnepinne
January 30th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Haha, sorry but I totally recongise myself in your post! :o

I think sometimes that benign neglect is definately the way to go! When you stop fussing and obsessing about your hair, you can learn to appriciate it for what it is (I'm still working on this though).

But I must say, I don't think 0,75 cm per month is that bad! And absolutely not 12 cm in a year! I would say that's quite normal. I'm not a superfast grower either, but I think growth comes in cykles. If slow now in winter, maybe the sprin or summer will be a growth spurt for you?

Hope I managed to cheer :cheer: you up!

Panth
January 30th, 2011, 03:34 AM
*curious* What protective styles have you been trying? And what's your routine?

Ishje
January 30th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I thought 12 cm a year was average?
but, yea, it must be really annoying when hair doesn't do what you want.

Kaelee
January 30th, 2011, 07:03 AM
My hair pretty much lives in a ponytail....it's too short for 'protective updos' I just want it out of my face.

spidermom
January 30th, 2011, 08:37 AM
A lot of people wear their hair down most of the time. A few up-dos are worth learning, though. You'll want to get your hair off your neck when it's really hot, I'm sure. I wouldn't give up, but maybe you could set a time for - say - 10 minutes. My go-to buns take maybe 2 minutes. Have you used the tutorials on YouTube?

anodyne_ame
January 30th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I know a little how you feel. Mine usually refuses to cooperate when I'm trying to stretch between washes, my hair wants to clump in all sorts of funky ways so that it looks really greasy even when it isn't :/

chopandchange
January 30th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Ha ha! Your hair sounds a lot like mine. Don't worry. We have "real" hair, that's all, not fake perfect shampoo-ad hair. Mine may LOOK nice in photos but most of the time in real life it's a tangled stubborn mess.

krissykins
January 30th, 2011, 11:10 AM
*curious* What protective styles have you been trying? And what's your routine?

I'm curious as to this as well. Maybe we can help you tweak a few things.

Elenna
January 30th, 2011, 01:24 PM
My hair is being very bratty. It's been a brat all of 2010 and is continuing into this year. I've done everything possible to promote growth and to protect my hair against damage.. My hair is just being an absolute brat now....

I'm with you on wearing hair down in public, but do (try) to wear it up at home.

Tangling leading to breakage can be the result of sticky residues matting the hair together. Maybe you need to clarify and/or find different products. Also, wurly hair (2a) can loop itself into tangles.

What are you putting in your hair to promote growth?

hanne jensen
January 31st, 2011, 01:13 AM
I wear my hair up in a doggy-doo bun held with small butterfly clamps or with scroos. WHEN it will go up. I can't get a decent braid yet as I have too many ends sticking out. My hemline is what one could call a short mermaid hemline.

I've been CO, but that just didn't work anymore. So, I'm doing the ktani's Movie Star Shampoo Method. It's working, but my hair is still a brat.

I have tried the you tube tutorials. All I get out of them is a lot of broken hairs.

I've grown out of my go to updos and need about 5-10 centimeters hair for a new one.

I have very fine fragile hair, I just have a lot of them.

I NEVER use heat on my head. I gently de-tangle the LHC way using my fingers. I only use a comb (wood) right before I wash my hair.

To promote growth I use monostat. I massage my scalp every morning. I put cardamom in my poo to gently exfoliate my scalp. I eat a healthy diet, get plenty of rest and excersize.

I tend to agree with spidermom that hair IS alive. My hair is taking revenge on me because I had to do a 7 centimeter chop back in May. Since then my hair has just been creeping along.
AND being totally impossible!

Normal hair growth is 1.2 cm a month. I'm a winter grower, and my winter growth spurt is just not happening.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I guess that this is just a stage that I have to get through.

I WILL NOT CHOP, I WILL NOT CHOP, I WILL NOT CHOP...

krissykins
January 31st, 2011, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure what a doggy doo bun is, but what were your past go to styles?

Have you tried putting your hair in a cinnamon bun? Maybe a braided bun? You said the ends are sticking out when you braid it, but maybe a bun can hide that.

Do you find that monistat helps encourage your hair growth? Have you considered hair vitamins?

I hope this can be of any help to you, it's mostly just whatever pops into my head in a sleep deprived state haha

aldasbeke
January 31st, 2011, 09:54 AM
Every time I wear my hair down, I feel like it gets stringy looking so I usually just put mine up, too. Maybe it's this way because I touch it too much? I really don't know.

FullMoonTrim
January 31st, 2011, 09:56 AM
My hair is being very bratty. It's been a brat all of 2010 and is continuing into this year. I've done everything possible to promote growth and to protect my hair against damage. What is the result? My hair is:

1. Refusing to be put up. Every day is a battle to put it up in a
protective style. After 1 hour of battling today, I gave up.

2. No matter how gentle I am, it just tangles and breaks.

3. Grows very slowly now. In 2010, I grew 12 centimeters.
Now, it's creeping along at .75 centimeters a month.
Usually, I grow like a weed in winter. And yes, I use mn.

Now, I see everybody and their sister Jane with long hair flapping around in all sorts of weather. Their hair just gets longer and longer.

So: NO MORE MR. NICE GUY!!! It's given absolutely no results! I'm tired of fighting my hair. Now, it's down and will remain down until it's learned it's lesson. If it means maintaining at this lenght, so be it.

Believe me, I've really tried everything. My hair is just being an absolute brat now.

I thought that long hair was supposed to be low maintenance. Not mine! I'm really tired of using over an hour a day on my hair to no avail.

Folks, this is a rant about my hair, NOT LHC.

Just had to vent. End of rant.
Do you have any pictures of your bratty hair??

bumblebums
January 31st, 2011, 10:11 AM
I am at BSL now, too, and a lot of my go-to hairstyles have stopped working. It seems to be an in-between length. It's also a common stall length, so it can be frustrating. Nowadays, I almost never wear it down because I end up frustrated with it. I put it up in a cinnamon bun held with two short sticks or Amish pins, or wear it in a simple English braid. It's actually easier to forget now that it's longer. In fact, I was kind of surprised to be at BSL--last I checked, I had just passed APL!

So just forget about it for a while--it might surprise you, too, some day.

Elenna
February 3rd, 2011, 10:56 PM
Not sure what a doggy-doo bun is, but whatever works!!! To commiserate with you, I can't get a decent braid either. For the YouTube tutorials are you talking about the hair routines or the hair styles? What about an infinity bun or a cinnamon bun, both are do-able at many hair lengths. I have hair similar to yours (i.e., fine & fragile), but not a lot of it. You have LOTS of hair!

About the CO, maybe you had build-up from the conditioner. The movie star shampoo method takes a lot of fine-tuning. Good for not using heat. You are smart about gently detangling your hair. Your hair is going to take off (growth wise) with Monistat & all those head massages. Cardamom is a new one to me!!!! We put everything in the kitchen on our hair. A healthy diet, exercise and rest does wonders.

Spidermom said that hair is alive! Heh, heh, heh! Your hair seems to grow slow because you are watching it grow. But sometimes hair stops 'n goes growth-wise. And if you cut your hair it won't get long.