PDA

View Full Version : You have such a high forehead...

Siowiel
June 9th, 2008, 08:28 AM
You should cut bangs to hide it!

I was told that today by a person in a chat room (I have a picture in my profile there). She said other things before, like: I do not think you're beautiful etc. (mind you, this wasn't flirtline but a christian chatroom!).
I suppose she was just trying to get me mad, but you know, such comments stick...

Is there anything about having a high forehead? Do you have one? Do you hide it with bangs? Is it not fashionable to have one?

Thinking about it, it is not really a topic about hair... but alas, I needed to VENT! Sorry...

Saranne772
June 9th, 2008, 08:31 AM
That is so not called for? And in a christian chatroom! Very Christlike attitude she has!

ETA- and may I say that personally I like high foreheads. They say that they are a sign of intelligence

Aronomy
June 9th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I have a high forehead as well, and I dont have any bangs or fringe. I looove one length hair, and I also love my high forehead.

Curlsgirl
June 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I used to hate mine but am now growing out my bangs and loving it! I have been noticing a lot of actresses have high foreheads and they don't usually wear bangs to hide it. I am beginning to think more and more they are very attractive!

Rude people!!! :rolleyes:

harley mama
June 9th, 2008, 08:42 AM
My forehead is normal (I think). I've worn my hair with and without bangs.
I am currently without simply because I am lazy!
The most important thing is you being happy with your looks and your hair.
I wouldn't let this person get to you. It sounds like they are just trying to pick a fight.

Cichelle
June 9th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I have a high forehead too. I used to have bangs but I let them grow out. And I don't intend to have them again. Anyone who doesn't like my high forehead, well...I guess they can stop looking. That person who said that to you was being mean and thoughtless. --As though you are supposed to adjust yourself to her liking. :rolleyes: What could have possibly been the point of such rudeness? Did you ask her for her opinion about your forehead or hairstyle choices? Really. And in a Christian chatroom, it might be reasonable to expect people to be kind to each other.

Love your face the way it is. If you want bangs, then cut them. But certainly don't let that woman influence or affect your self-image. She most likely has her own issues which she should be attending to instead of busying herself with critiquing your looks!

Stagecoach
June 9th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Ugh, I have a high forehead, and if I thought bangs would help I'd get them in a minute...

BUT, they wont! I have a widows peak AND two ca-licks on my hair line so bangs stick out weird directions!!!

Saranne772
June 9th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Whats a windows peak?

Florida Mom
June 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Those comments are so mean!!!!!! I would ignore them.

Bangs or no bangs is a personal decision. I do choose to have them because they flatter my face more. Yes I do have a high forehead, with a touch of a widow's peak (not enough to be a beautiful widow's peak though).

BlndeInDisguise
June 9th, 2008, 08:55 AM
ETA- and may I say that personally I like high foreheads. They say that they are a sign of intelligence

*chokes* If that's true, I'm an exception. :p

Whats a windows peak?

This is a widows peak. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widow's_peak

BlackfootHair
June 9th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I have a big forehead, but I don't care. I don't like bangs on me.

Boon
June 9th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I've got a high forehead. I'm not trying to hide it because I want one lenght hair. I had fringe when I was younger but then I let it grow out. If someone has a problem with my forehead it's his/hers problem and not mine. ;) It seems to be a lot of people at the internet who loves to say mean thing to other people... :shrug:

katiana
June 9th, 2008, 09:29 AM
That is just so rude! I do not think you should get bangs because someone thinks you should..do it for yourself if you would like them..but those mean comments, maybe she is waiting for you to do it. I remember girls like that when I was little, would say mean things to hurt, almost to wait if I cared what they thought if I listened and did what they said. Gosh, I would never say someone is not beautiful to their face either..I think if you are a friend or have contact with someone in a forum, you can always find the beauty in them.

RavennaNight
June 9th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I have a high forehead as well. I used to get comments when I was a kid, and used to get upset. Then I found out that during medieval times and the Rennaissance a higher forehead was a symbol of beauty and women would alter their hairlines to get one. And bangs were a royal PITA for me to keep down, neat, or what have you. Don't listen to this person. You are great just the way you are.:)

SHELIAANN1969
June 9th, 2008, 09:43 AM
That reminds me of a little joke my grandpa tells me, he is bald and only has some hair around his head like in a circle, but none at all on top , he says "I have a high forehead, it goes all the way to the back of my head"

He is so funny!!

It sounds like this "chatroom person" is trying to stir up trouble, maybe you can report them to the admin for their comments? Or show them the pm's if it was sent that way?

I am a member of a couple of boards that frown on those type of pm's or comments, I would block them if you can, or report them, or both.

And everyone is different, I wouldn't say a high forehead is any more/ less attractive than a short forehead, that's an oddball comment to make, obviouslly this person has some kind of agenda going on and I wouldn't worry about what they think.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it seems like they're a bit farsighted!

spidermom
June 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM
They say it takes all kinds, but the kind of person who would say something so rude? I'm not sure we need that kind. Ignore. I was once chatting with someone on the internet who asked for a picture, I sent one. The response? "You're very ugly." Then this person kept trying to email me and IM me, and I had to put a block on that screen name. I wouldn't put up with that nonsense.

MsBubbles
June 9th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Did the rude person have their photo up? I think some people can't go online without being rude, unfortunately. I have a prominent forehead too (same hairline as I ever had). I had bangs for years thinking my forehead would look silly exposed. Well I grew 'em out over 10 years ago and never missed them once. Just as long as I don't look like that actress (http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/cards/card_susan_f.gif) who played George Costanza's fiancee on Seinfeld. I mean, she's pretty enough, I just don't want my forehead to ever look like hers.

Anyway it's your life and your hair, not some rude anonymous (cowardly) person's.

Fencai
June 9th, 2008, 10:02 AM
that's totally mean!!! Just be comfortable with who you are! I dont mind bangs and think they look good on some people- regardless of their foreheads. My best friend think "that bangs hide pretty faces".

so, in otherwords, its TOTALLY a matter of preference!

systemaurora
June 9th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I have a high forehead, but my solution was just to grow my eyebrows "up" a little. ^_^ With my hair type bangs will not freaking stay straight without my flat-ironing them twice a day... NO. lol. Now my glasses (on the rare occasion I wear them) sit higher on my nose, I've managed to make my eyebrows look a little higher than before, and I usually part my hair in such a way that no one can tell what my forehead looks like.

I'm pretty critical of myself, but when I see a picture of myself I don't instantly think, "Wow, what an ugly forehead!" Hair stylists used to always try to get me to get bangs, but I just don't think bangs are ideal for my hair type! ^_^

lilalong
June 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Personally I think a high forehead is much prettier than a low one.

purplebubba
June 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM
What kind of hairstyle would fix a big mouth that won't stay closed?

(ETA this is directed at the person who made the high forehead comment and not Siowiel)

Altocumulus
June 9th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Yep, I have a "fivehead" -

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3123/2529438546_fb061b4db2_m.jpg

I wore bangs for years, but they always curled up into horns on each side of my head. Finally I gave up fighting with them and learned to embrace the fivehead. How dull would it be if everyone looked the same?

MissHair
June 9th, 2008, 10:50 AM
DONT listen to her! First off, that was uncalled for and secondly, bangs do not cover up big forheads, they make them look bigger. So dont cut bangs!

Alaskanheart
June 9th, 2008, 11:12 AM
What a rude person!She sounds like she has problems, going online just to insult others.Nice Christian attitude.

Actually I have a small forehead and I like bigger foreheads. I dont think someone who has a high forehead needs bangs to look good, there are many actresses and models who have high foreheads and they do not cover it with bangs.Like I said, I have a small forehead and I think I look better with fringe or bangs.

That bangs and forehead rule is outdated , and just as silly as the over 30 shoulder length rule.Ignorant people like that girl often parrot stupid advice like that just to hear themselves talk and sound knowledgable.

Blueneko
June 9th, 2008, 11:23 AM
High foreheads unite! I think high foreheads (often called a fivehead) are awesome for ponytails and hair pulled back. You have what you have. Work it how you like. And avoid chat rooms with catty jerks!

Starr
June 9th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I have a high forehead too. . . bangs on me just look like bangs on top of a big forehead- which is why I let them grow out.

Jean Genie
June 9th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Yep, that was a really rude comment. Sheesh, the things people say on the intarwebs just amazes me.

That being said, I do have a high forehead, and I have blunt cut bangs. It's such a personal preference, and that's stupid for someone to impose their own style preferences on you. If you like it, rock that high forehead! :rockerdud I think, for most people, they are really attractive.

lady G
June 9th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Ignore her hun, how rude!!! She obviously has no manners and is probably jealous of you anyway:D

jesamyn
June 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I have a high forehead and round face, and have done both the bangs and no-bangs look. I really like the off-my-forehead look better than having stuff over it. I have a cowlick where it'll part anyway. I do have bangs now, but they are long and sideswept, and can't be said to cover my forehead at all. I can blend them in if I want, but I like having the whirlies.

Regardless, that was an extremely rude comment, and sounds like it's just one more after many. Ignore her and do what you want. :)

jojo
June 9th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I have a high forehead too, incidently they are seen as a sign of intelligence.

In the Elizabethan era women would pluck the hairline to give the illusion of a higher forehead as it was seen as a sign of beauty.

I also have a widows peak and a slight cowlick, but I have no fringe/bangs and like it that way.

Ignore this person they obviously feel slightly jealous by you, I feel sorry for people like this they obviously lead very boring lifes if all they can do is pick holes in peoples facial features.

Hypnotica
June 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I have a low forehead and I'm as dumb as a rock. :bigtongue:

The only respons to what that person write should be "And....?"

daydreamer
June 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Oh my goodness that is just un-called for. Personally I think she was just trying to stir up trouble for the fun of it. Probably looked like a good chat room to hurt people's feelings in.

I have a high forehead and I have been told that about bangs, too when I was a kid. Even hairdressers would tell me that. However I do not like bangs on me (had them through childhood), so I have none and I like my forehead just fine. :) I even have pale eyebrows that make it look even higher, and I like them just fine too!
My mom also has a high forehead and has kept bangs for at least 25 years because people have said that to her... but now people are trying to pressure her into letting them grow out!! Go figure. She's beautiful either way. I think you should go with whichever style you are happy with.
And as others have said, there are plenty of actresses and models out there with bangless high foreheads. ;)

EnkaiNami
June 9th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I have a normal forehead-slightly larger than usual. I personally think most high foreheads are cuter than lower ones, but there's nothing wrong with a low one either.

I used to have bangs, but I didn't have them to cover up my forehead. Just do what you like, and ignore obnoxious comments (people who make rude, uncalled for comments like that? HIGHLY insecure themselves).

I agree with Hypontica's response of, "And...?"

or maybe, "But, I don't recall asking for your opinion..."

Anywho, it's best to ignore insecure people like that.

Jeni
June 9th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Another girl here with a large forehead. I had bangs from the age of 12 to 24. I hated them, but I thought I needed them. In my mind my forehead was giant, freakishly so. When I decided to start growing my hair out I decided to stop cutting my bangs. I figured if after a couple months if I hated it I could always cut them. I loved it, even during the annoying stage between just past eye level to barely long enough to go behind my ears. I cant see ever having bangs again.

That girl was rude, and rudeness comes from insecurity.

Tangles
June 9th, 2008, 12:25 PM
High foreheads are actually a sign of femininity--babies have big foreheads in proportion to their chins, and baby-like features are seen as pretty on women, so... higher foreheads are more feminine than low ones. Rita Hayworth had her hairline raised with electrolysis to look more feminine.

Siowiel
June 9th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Thank you very, very much for your kind words!

"What haircut will fix a big mouth" was especially cute ;)

And shame on me for not thinking of the women of times long past - as a student of history!

I'll call myself a fivehead with pride from now on.

:grouphug:

jojo
June 9th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I have a low forehead and I'm as dumb as a rock. :bigtongue:

The only respons to what that person write should be "And....?"

Aww its only a saying! :eyebrows:

jojo
June 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Thank you very, very much for your kind words!

"What haircut will fix a big mouth" was especially cute ;)

And shame on me for not thinking of the women of times long past - as a student of history!

I'll call myself a fivehead with pride from now on.

:grouphug:

Good for you, big foreheads are beautiful why hide them behind a fringe! Fivehead's united!

Elainehali
June 9th, 2008, 02:44 PM
A few days ago a girl I work with asked me if I thought she looks better with or without bangs. I told her she looks better with bangs (she really does).

She said a lot of people tell her that because she has a high forehead. Then she said it doesn't bother her because a lot of models like Tyra Banks have high foreheads. That's true!

So bangs look good on a high forehead, but that doesn't mean you *have* to wear your hair any particular way.

Tresses
June 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM
What kind of hairstyle would fix a big mouth that won't stay closed?

(ETA this is directed at the person who made the high forehead comment and not Siowiel)

:rollin: :thumbsup:

Billboard for a forehead here. I grew out my bangs 15+ years ago. It took awhile to get used that big white space up there, but I don't ever plan to go back to bangs. Bangs + wavy hair + cowlicks = :brickwall

psvzum
June 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM
How rude! I have half a dozen smart comeback's but none that I can print : )

I would ignore anything this ignoramous had to say.

kwaniesiam
June 9th, 2008, 03:31 PM
"And maybe you should do something to hide your unattractive personality..." comes to mind ;)

I don't have a high forehead, and sometimes wish I did. Bangs would look terrible on me, both due to face and hair type. Just be happy with what you have, if you like your hair enjoy how it is.

AJoifulNoise
June 9th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Is there anything about having a high forehead? Do you have one? Do you hide it with bangs? Is it not fashionable to have one?

Thinking about it, it is not really a topic about hair... but alas, I needed to VENT! Sorry...

I completely understand what you're saying! I have a rather high forehead. And people have told me all my life to cover it with bangs. Which was a disaster (pics in my blog) because my bangs always part down the middle! :rolleyes: My mom and then my stepmom kept me in bangs for years. Until I put my foot down and grew them out in the 10th grade. Never again. My forehead is just fine, thank you very much!

neenerbabe
June 9th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Just say....'I feel beautiful'. Usually people are taken aback as no one says nice things about themselves these days, it's always 'I'm too fat/short/ugly' etc. They may think you're egotistical but it takes the wind out of their sails.

ilovelonghair
June 9th, 2008, 04:06 PM
That is so rude to insult someone like that! Some people are just out there to make trouble.

I have a high forehead too, but it's not extremely high, so it just looks normal. As a child my mother always used to hide my forehead with fringe saying that that was needed because otherwise I would look strange, so I started to think that high foreheads were ugly. It took me ages to convince myself that there is nothing wrong with my forehead! But if I could choose I'd rather have a lower one because I just like that better.

Paniscus
June 9th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Another high forehead here. I recently cut me some fringe. Sigh. Some days, I like 'em. Some days...days when they're exceptionally frizzy and curling up... I could kick myself for cutting them. So yeah, two months ago, I was trying to decide to *bang or not,* and now I'm trying to decide to *grow them out or not.* Darn.

Love yourself and pity those that are rude and insensitive. Next time someone says something so rude, just look at them with a puzzled look on your face and laugh. I agree with neenerbabe, if you make such a comment as she suggested, or even agree with them, it throws them off. These people usually have low self esteem and it makes them feel better to tear someone down. I know someone who always makes fun of a friend of mine. She just laughs and agrees and moves on. Sometimes, she'll even make her own joke about herself. It leaves him with no ammunition, you know?

longhairedfairy
June 9th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I have a high forehead as well. I used to get comments when I was a kid, and used to get upset. Then I found out that during medieval times and the Rennaissance a higher forehead was a symbol of beauty and women would alter their hairlines to get one. And bangs were a royal PITA for me to keep down, neat, or what have you. Don't listen to this person. You are great just the way you are.:)

I read about that somewhere. Didn't they often wear a circlet to emphasize/decorate the higher forehead? They used to alter the hairline of married women in parts of China as well, at least for upper-class ladies.

I know such comments still hurt, but the opinion of such a rude and inconsiderate person is not a valid one.

Dianyla
June 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Just as long as I don't look like that actress (http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/cards/card_susan_f.gif) who played George Costanza's fiancee on Seinfeld. I mean, she's pretty enough, I just don't want my forehead to ever look like hers.
Huh, that's a lot like what my forehead looks like. Thank goodness I have self-esteem though, otherwise I'd have to go kill myself after reading your post. :twisted:

loves2spin
June 9th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I do have a high forehead and wore bangs for a number of years, but now I have been letting them grow out for many months and I am SO glad not to have bangs anymore! People simply should not make such remarks. It's rude!

Deborah
June 10th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Honey, this lady is just critical and catty. She probably has a hairline that blends right in with her bushy eyebrows - that nice cavewoman look! Just ignore her. ;)

DecafJane
June 10th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Wow, what an awful thing to say - I really wish that people wouldn't take out their noxious personalities on unwitting bystanders. I hope you can let this one wash over you - she was being nasty. :(

Kleis
June 10th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Honey, this lady is just critical and catty. She probably has a hairline that blends right in with her bushy eyebrows - that nice cavewoman look! Just ignore her. ;)

Oop, and here comes the neanderthal comments! Those of us with low foreheads got sumpin' to say to dat: http://deephousepage.com/smilies/moon.gif

I think high foreheads are beautiful. They've been a standard of beauty for years, not only in the past (as mentioned in literature--the high, wide brow) but in modern day known "beauties." Angelina Jolie, anyone? High forehead. Uma Thurman? High forehead. They're gorgeous and high foreheads are perfectly lovely. I encourage y'all to make peace with it.

rapunzhell13
June 10th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Lol, some people... Do they really not have better things to do with their time? I have a high forehead too, but I don't get caught up about it. I have had blunt bangs before, and although they looked awesome, they required blowfrying and I'm just not prepared for that kind of maintenance/damage. Screw what other people think! I've never had anyone point it out though, and you know why I think that is? Because I don't point it out myself and if they did, I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of insulting me. :)

Deborah
June 10th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Kleis,

"Oop, and here comes the neanderthal comments! Those of us with low foreheads got sumpin' to say to dat:"

I'm sorry you did not recognize a joke. I seriously doubt that you have a hairline that blends right into bushy eyebrows, but if you do I am also sorry for joking about your particular look. :flower:

goldenwaves
June 10th, 2008, 02:36 AM
A high forehead = full of brains! Embrace it, I think it makes a face look longer and leaner. If you really don't like, try getting some bangs, or do the fake bangs found on long hair loom. :)

toodramatik
June 10th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I find high foreheads nice too.

They beat short ones, a la Queen Latifah.

Hypnotica
June 10th, 2008, 03:04 AM
High foreheads are actually a sign of femininity--babies have big foreheads in proportion to their chins, and baby-like features are seen as pretty on women, so... higher foreheads are more feminine than low ones. Rita Hayworth had her hairline raised with electrolysis to look more feminine.

I guess I'm a man then.

n3m3sis42
June 10th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I guess I'm a man then.

It's okay, honey... me too! I'm told I have a low forehead. :D

How about this, ladies and men? High foreheads can be beautiful. Low foreheads can be beautiful. Medium-sized foreheads can be beautiful.

What is NOT beautiful is a woman who goes onto a Christian forum and insults the appearance of other members. Regardless of any outward appearances, that person is quite ugly on the inside.

TheBlondeApple
June 10th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I have a high forehead, but bangs are a PITA, so I don't have any.
Anja

Stagecoach
June 10th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Did the rude person have their photo up? I think some people can't go online without being rude, unfortunately. I have a prominent forehead too (same hairline as I ever had). I had bangs for years thinking my forehead would look silly exposed. Well I grew 'em out over 10 years ago and never missed them once. Just as long as I don't look like that actress (http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/cards/card_susan_f.gif) who played George Costanza's fiancee on Seinfeld. I mean, she's pretty enough, I just don't want my forehead to ever look like hers.

Anyway it's your life and your hair, not some rude anonymous (cowardly) person's.

hahaha, that's about what mine looks like!

Altocumulus
June 10th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Huh, that's a lot like what my forehead looks like. Thank goodness I have self-esteem though, otherwise I'd have to go kill myself after reading your post. :twisted:

I'd forgotten what she looked like. My forehead looks just like that! Shouldn't my long hair have dragged my face down by now?

MsBubbles
June 10th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Well I think she has a pretty face and I actually said that in my post, too, because I didn't mean at all that such a look was generally loathesome, or anything :(. I should have explained further: Back when I was growing out my bangs about the only thing I could do with them is fake a cowlick/huge 80s surfer wave with lots of hairspray, and on MY FOREHEAD it just looked horrible. Whenever I saw that actress on Seinfeld it reminded me of how horrible I looked with my fake cowlicks at the front! I have zero kinks anywhere on my head and with non-primped overgrown bangs I tend to look like Cousin It. Not that there's anything WRONG with that!

Thankfully now my bangs are past shoulder length they're pulled dead straight and my forehead is less exacerbated. The vertical lines match my huge frown mark.

Kleis
June 10th, 2008, 09:33 AM
"Oop, and here comes the neanderthal comments! Those of us with low foreheads got sumpin' to say to dat:"

I'm sorry you did not recognize a joke. I seriously doubt that you have a hairline that blends right into bushy eyebrows, but if you do I am also sorry for joking about your particular look. :flower:

Oh, I recognized it as a joke all right. That's why you got one back.

As a side note, I'll never forget one of my first times on the LHC--there was a thread nearly identical to this mourning having high foreheads. It deteriorated into posting pics of people with low foreheads and saying, "Well, at least we don't look like cavemen!" Why must people make themselves feel better by degrading what they're not? :flower:

Eireann
June 10th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I tried to post image of Tyra Banks, but it didn't work. . .anyway, Tyra Banks has a high forehead, and she's gorgeous!!

MsBubbles
June 10th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Why must people make themselves feel better by degrading what they're not? :flower:

Well I hope I didn't sound like I was degrading the Seinfeld actress. That style just looked horrible on me.

Ok I learned my lesson. Ironic that I offended people on a 'how rude' type of thread :blushing:. Sorry about that.

Heather Graham and Kristin Davis also come to mind as having ample and beautiful foreheads.

Sapphire'sWings
June 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I have a high forehead too. When I was a kid, my mom was concerned that I was balding. I used to have bangs too, but they don't work with wavy hair. Now, I either leave my forehead bare, or cover it with a center part and what remains of my bangs. I think I look good either way.

To tell someone they're ugly for no reason like that is so rude, immature, and disgusting. It says more about her than about you.

Kleis
June 10th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Well I hope I didn't sound like I was degrading the Seinfeld actress. That style just looked horrible on me.

Ok I learned my lesson. Ironic that I offended people on a 'how rude' type of thread :blushing:. Sorry about that.

Heather Graham and Kristin Davis also come to mind as having ample and beautiful foreheads.

No worries. I was referring to the old thread, but didn't make that clear. :flower:

Tangles
June 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Aw no, I just meant that high foreheads are pretty, but low ones can look cool on the right face too... it's not like anyone actually notices unless you're trying to find something to criticize :)

Tangles
June 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Hypnotica: I just meant that high foreheads are pretty, but low ones can look cool on the right face too... it's not like anyone actually notices unless you're trying to find something to criticize :) I have a big nose, and I don't consider myself manly :)

hurricane_gia
June 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I have a high forehead too, incidently they are seen as a sign of intelligence.

In the Elizabethan era women would pluck the hairline to give the illusion of a higher forehead as it was seen as a sign of beauty.

Yeah, check out Arnolfini Portrait (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Arnolfini_Portrait) by Jan Van Eyck, if you want to see a fashionably high forehead!

It was popular in the late medieval period, and then became less popular in the early 16th century. But when Queen Liz 1's hairline started to recede, it suddenly became popular again. :)

Growin' It
June 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I also have a forehead that's higher than the usual, and my hair pulled straight back from the hairline looks... yuk. So whatever style I do, I leave some 'give' in the front of it, so it's relaxed at the front. It doesn't poof out, but waves over the hairline and gives a smoother look (I have a really un-straight hairline. Looks a bit like male-pattern balding, so I don't like it.) HTH! :flower:

Rebelkat
June 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I was going to tell her that exact same thing! I too have a large forehead, but I don't hide it with bangs. If you have sensitive skin it will only cause acne. Yeah, that's way more attractive than a high forehead. :rolleyes:

lynnala
June 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Hasn't hurt Christina Ricci any. http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/legendhouse/ricci.jpg

tiny_teesha
June 11th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I have a highish forhead, but i am not too bothered by it, only in profile it looks as if my hair is receding. I part my hair on the side and it doesn't look so bad. I am growing out my fringe to a longer length (chin) just for a change, i've had an eye length frindge through most of my schooling life and i want something different!

ilovelonghair
June 11th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Tangles http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=141795#post141795)

I don't think it is a feminine thing, there are far more men with high foreheads then women.

Curlsgirl
June 11th, 2008, 08:40 AM
http://th187.photobucket.com/albums/x109/sabra3273/th_helenhunt.jpg (http://photobucket.com/image/helen%20hunt/sabra3273/helenhunt.jpg?o=2)

This is the way my bangs are now. I think on me they look much better than straight across hiding my whole forehead. Mine is not quite as high as hers. Part of it is just getting used to if you are used to covering up. I covered mine as well because of the myth that you SHOULD. I also didn't have bangs growing up because "You shouldn't have bangs with glasses" and shoulder hair because "Tall people don't look good in short hair". :rolleyes:

systemaurora
June 11th, 2008, 10:28 AM
lol, of course people can make sweeping generalizations like that... never mind that nearly anything can be pulled off using variations of things. Sigh.

I kept having hairdressers cut me bangs even though I didn't *really* want them, until now I'm just like, "No, I don't care if I have a high forehead, just leave it alone!"

Oskimosa
June 11th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Like many of you here, I too have a high forehead and especially hate the lighter baby hairs at the upper sides making me look like I'm balding. Hah, I could NOT possibly have thicker or fuller hair... it's so weird how it wants to be thin there. Anyhow, whether or not I have some form of bangs at the moment, I try and side part my hair. It helps me feel less self concious about it without resorting to a full bang cut. Besides, I'm too busy disguising how round my face is now that I'm heavier than I'd like by layering the hairs around my face close to my chin or cheek to slim 'em down. Can't handle two facial issues at once! Overload!

tinker bug
June 11th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Yep, I'm a proud owner of a 7-head.
Not four. haha.
I was bangless all of my life, but this January, I cut some severe straight across ones in. But, alas, I grew tired of hiding my monster forehead, and cut myslef some baby bangs (very short, with the middle part of the bang section longer than the outsides. Very Betty Page)lastnight!

And about the intellegence thing, I'm a 4.0 straight A student, if you want to take note :D

curlylocks85
August 8th, 2015, 01:15 PM
*BUMP*

I have been told I should sport bangs to cover my high forehead. I have never had a problem with my forehead. No one has said anything about it since I was in junior high and I retorted that I have a high forehead because I am so smart my head needs more brain room. That shut them up. I am proud of my forehead and if people don't like it, they can get bent. :)

Aurum
August 8th, 2015, 03:58 PM
I have a big forehead.
I had bangs as a kid until around age 7 when I announced to my parents that I wanted to cut them off (I thought that was how you got rid of bangs, just trim them off at the scalp--LOL).

After I realized you had to grow them out, I still wanted them gone, and the issue actually started war in my family. It was me and my father vs. my mother, who thought my forehead was too big and it wouldn't look good. I eventually won that small victory for autonomy and grew them out over a couple of years. I haven't had bangs since.

Veridical Angel
August 8th, 2015, 04:59 PM
I have a high forehead. I usually do a swoop to minimize it. Remember just because I stand in the garage, it does not mean I am a car. Lol

Veridical Angel
August 8th, 2015, 05:01 PM
You have beautiful hair!

cadencesday
August 8th, 2015, 05:17 PM
I get the same remarks too about my forehead. The older I get, the less I care. I like how I look and have noticed only women say ugly things. I've never had one man mention a thing about my forehead to me.

Nellon
August 8th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Well, with that attitude of hers... that attitude ain't making no one any prettier. She obviously have some serious issues of her own or she wouldn't have said that. Probably she thought you were pretty and got jealous of some weird sh*t? Who knows.

I have a high forehead and no bangs. Also a square jawline haha. When young I hated! both those features. Finally made peace with myself after many years. This year a friend of mine out of nowhere told me when I had my hair pulled back "I love your square jawline and high forehead when you wear your hair pulled back. You look like a madonna!" Haha, ok, thanx?! :) Not trying to say I'm good looking (I'm not particularly), but how sometimes our most defining features can be the most attractive ones to others regardless of what some idiots may think. You're probably the only one in the world who has exactly your set of unique defining features. Be proud of yourself! ok, over and out!

missrandie
August 8th, 2015, 08:05 PM
I've had bangs my whole life to hide my forehead, so growing them out with the rest of my hair is a big deal fo me. My husband mentioned a few weeks ago that it looked like it was time to trim my bangs, and I told him that I think I am done with bangs. Its a scary thought! But I know I can cut them in at any time.

Besides, I think I am okay with the way my face looks without bangs... Though having them always seemed to hide just how round my face is.

Radioduck
August 9th, 2015, 03:02 AM
I have a high forehead and have had bangs a very long time. I like how the bangs frame my face, but I also like to sometimes pin them up and show my whole forehead. It's really just a matter of taste, and it's up to one and each to decide what they want to do. Both can be pretty.

Frankenstein
August 12th, 2015, 02:14 PM
I'm self conscious about my forehead which I consider to be too high, although everyone tells me it isn't and I'm just crazy. Sometimes I do feel the urge to hide it with bangs but they just don't work for me so I try to forget about it.

Amahaitz
August 12th, 2015, 02:34 PM
I have a very high forehead, light eyebrows, and what I feel is a thinnish hairline-area hair. I feel much prettier and "me-like" with bangs, so I have them. If didn't feel that way, though, I'd grow them out. You should have your hair the way YOU like it :)

luvlonghair75
August 12th, 2015, 05:49 PM
High foreheads are nothing to be embarrassed about and it annoys me when people feel they need to call out on other people about their foreheads! God made them all, so what? It's a beautiful forehead with a beautiful face and hair. Embrace it. Forget about the negative comments and attitudes.

I have a sister who does this. My forehead isn't nearly as high as hers yet she tries to bug me about it. All it is, is her own insecurities shining through. I have bangs very rarely and hate them the minute I cut them! lol I think I have a well proportioned face, so I opt to have no bangs! Let that forehead shine on, baby! :D

alexis917
August 12th, 2015, 09:22 PM
I have a massive forehead and recently cut myself a fringe. My forehead is over 1/3 of my total face length, and I have a rather extreme heart-shape (tiny chin, cheekbones with a biiiig forehead). I love the bangs! However, a broad forehead is associated with intelligence and beauty in many countries, so rock what you've got!

Hairkay
August 13th, 2015, 01:23 PM
I'd be a bit envious since I haven't got that much forehead. I don't think I have much room for a fringe/bangs.

enting
September 6th, 2015, 12:50 PM
I have a big forehead.
I had bangs as a kid until around age 7 when I announced to my parents that I wanted to cut them off (I thought that was how you got rid of bangs, just trim them off at the scalp--LOL).

After I realized you had to grow them out, I still wanted them gone, and the issue actually started war in my family. It was me and my father vs. my mother, who thought my forehead was too big and it wouldn't look good. I eventually won that small victory for autonomy and grew them out over a couple of years. I haven't had bangs since.

I also thought that's how to get rid of bangs when I was little! I chopped the bangs off of one of my dolls one day, right down to its scalp. My mother wasn't too happy about it, needless to say :p

As many others have already mentioned, high foreheads were very desirable at various points in history. Really, as long as one is in relatively good health, that's what I consider beautiful. A large forehead is all the easier to showcase healthy skin! My forehead is somewhat high, and my eyebrows are a bit light, so I like to wear darker rimmed glasses to add definition to my face. I think the only time I ever styled my hair in anything like bangs (I didn't actually cut them, just did a really deep part) was when I had horrible cystic acne right out of college, and I wanted to cover up my broken-out forehead. Otherwise, I haven't had bangs since I was about 4 or 5 years old, when I didn't yet choose how I wore my hair.

Groovy Granny
September 6th, 2015, 01:20 PM
My forehead could handle fringe, but my silver curls and it lays every which way but nice lol
Plus I hate hair in/on my face.... especially when it is hot.
I grew my bangs out over the past 2 years and I am happier!

MINAKO
September 6th, 2015, 01:37 PM
So what?! I have a high forehead too and think it looks cute and proportionally better than a narrow one would look on me.
People in the middle east get their hairline lasered to make their foreheads higher and in korea you even get surgery with implants for that purpose.
So better enjoy the free ticket y'all :)

Olivia23
September 10th, 2015, 10:51 PM
I do have a high forehead and I always have bangs to hide it. Also I believe I look younger with bangs.

You should cut bangs to hide it!

I was told that today by a person in a chat room (I have a picture in my profile there). She said other things before, like: I do not think you're beautiful etc. (mind you, this wasn't flirtline but a christian chatroom!).
I suppose she was just trying to get me mad, but you know, such comments stick...

Loktra
September 10th, 2015, 11:57 PM
I have a high forehead and a weird hairline. It's not receding, but has the look of one, and always has been that way. It's not really a widow's peak. just...odd. I have bangs to hide the hairline in updos more than to hide my forehead.

However, I'm growing them out! I think all people can look good with or without bangs, and switching it up lets you and others see your face in a new way. So I'm going to enjoy my fivehead and weird hairline as much as possible.

Bambi
September 13th, 2015, 01:36 AM
I have a high forehead aswell, my face is also narrow and my hairline is weird too:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2yxp739.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/260681k.jpg

I used to be really conscious about it but this is the face I've got so I'll better do the best of it.

Fru fru
September 13th, 2015, 01:45 AM
Bambi you have a beautiful face and I think your high forehead looks pretty so I wouldn't worry about it :)

Stray_mind
September 13th, 2015, 02:15 AM
The most important thing is how you feel about it yourself.It doesn't matter what others say unless it's constructive criticism, but it doesn't seem like this is the case in this situation. All i see here is emotional abuse and poisonous words, so either that person is full of envy and spite or is just an a**....I think having high forehead is great,since it can look good with bangs or no bangs.

starshade
September 13th, 2015, 03:11 AM
Firstly it sounds like the person who made that comment has issues themselves and is picking on the OP
Secondly, I have a small forehead, and hence am pretty sure that a high forehead is more attractive! And thirdly, as many others have said, it's seen as a sign of intelligence and therefore to me, doesn't have negative connotations.
Also I think with or without bangs a high forehead would look good.

Bambi
September 13th, 2015, 05:24 AM
Bambi you have a beautiful face and I think your high forehead looks pretty so I wouldn't worry about it :)

Thank you so much for your kind words! :)

ladyfey
September 13th, 2015, 05:54 AM
Some people are just malignant. I have a huge forehead. Sometimes I have bangs and sometimes I grow them out. I like both ways, I am lucky that my bangs behave without any styling, I just comb them and there they stay. As I've gotten older I'm liking the bangs, as they say "bangs, not botox!"

Mimha
September 13th, 2015, 06:49 AM
I have a huge, round, high and large forehead, and what is more, a "remote" hairline and scarce hair density on the top of my head. When my hair is tightly bunned, I almost look bold ! Lol. However, I LOVE my forehead. It "is me". I don't know how to say : it represents me better than anything else. I am an over-thinking person. Hypersensitive. I love observing, learning, dreaming, imagining. All what is related to perceiving and understanding. Some people in my family pleasantly call me "the Brain", lol. At school, and then during my studies, my teachers said I had an acute intelligence. Later on in my jobs, I was more like an alien and things started to turn bad for me. I asked too many questions. I over-reacted. I was always either "too much" or "not enough"... Well, that's another story. But I am quite a stubborn person. Strong head. Unmanageable. My forehead expresses all that better than words.

I have always hated bangs on myself, despite the fact that my family wanted me to "hide this huuuge forehead". Why should have hidden my most prominent (lol) feature ?? Anytime I had bangs, I felt like Samson : deprived of force, deprived of myself. I felt invisible, deprived of personality, annihilated !... I also have a long "strong nose", which is not particularly beautiful. But it has the same expressive way to tell the people who I am. And my huuuge forehead is a good balance to it not to be too noticeable, lol. For me, a high forehead is a noble feature. It expresses intelligence. I find it beautiful and I am proud of it, even if sometimes I think about aaaaall these square centimeters lost for hair to grow and make me a super thick mane, ha ha ha ha !

hennalonghair
September 13th, 2015, 06:57 AM
I have a huge, round, high and large forehead, and what is more, a "remote" hairline and scarce hair density on the top of my head. When my hair is tightly bunned, I almost look bold ! Lol. However, I LOVE my forehead. It "is me". I don't know how to say : it represents me better than anything else. I am an over-thinking person. Hypersensitive. I love observing, learning, dreaming, imagining. All what is related to perceiving and understanding. Some people in my family pleasantly call me "the Brain", lol. At school, and then during my studies, my teachers said I had an acute intelligence. Later on in my jobs, I was more like an alien and things started to turn bad for me. I asked too many questions. I over-reacted. I was always either "too much" or "not enough"... Well, that's another story. But I am quite a stubborn person. Strong head. Unmanageable. My forehead expresses all that better than words.

I have always hated bangs on myself, despite the fact that my family wanted me to "hide this huuuge forehead". Why should have hidden my most prominent (lol) feature ?? Anytime I had bangs, I felt like Samson : deprived of force, deprived of myself. I felt invisible, deprived of personality, annihilated !... I also have a long "strong nose", which is not particularly beautiful. But it has the same expressive way to tell the people who I am. And my huuuge forehead is a good balance to it not to be too noticeable, lol. For me, a high forehead is a noble feature. It expresses intelligence. I find it beautiful and I am proud of it, even if sometimes I think about aaaaall these square centimeters lost for hair to grow and make me a super thick mane, ha ha ha ha !

This is so well written and I must state the obvious here. What a fabulous healthy attitude.

Edelweiss
September 13th, 2015, 07:03 AM
To the girls with a big forehead, next time someone tries to make fun of you for that, just say that Rihanna has a big one too yet she's an icon !

Nuala
September 13th, 2015, 07:12 AM
I've also got a high forehead, my hairline recedes a bit at the sides, and I also have very light eyebrows. I don't like the look of my huge forehead very much, but I also don't like bangs. I have a cowlick a bit left from the middle, and my bangs always part like curtains :( . I'm going to grow my bangs out now, and try to be proud of my huge forehead! It's good to read so many encouraging comments! :o

M.McDonough
September 13th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Maybe you don't really have a high forehead. You're probably just used to wearing your hair down, so when you throw up your hair in a bun, it looks like you have a big forehead..

Hatsumomo
September 13th, 2015, 01:13 PM
I have a reasonably high forehead and a love-hate relationship with fringes. She sounds like she would have found something else to say if it wasn't something about your forehead though. People like that don't deserve time of day.

Mimha
September 13th, 2015, 01:38 PM
This is so well written and I must state the obvious here. What a fabulous healthy attitude.

Wow, this is a huge compliment, hennalonghair. :thud:
It really touches me a lot !... :flowers: