PDA

View Full Version : hereditary/age related hair loss

tnmom66
January 29th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I have lost 1/3 or more of my volume in the past 10 years. I am almost 45. My hair is natural red, fading rapidly with age (few gray hairs, though) When I was a teenager, I had "fairy tail " ends to the length where I had to pull my hair aside when I'd sit down. for many years, I kept it waist length, and have never had it shorter than bra-length. It is currently 29 1/5 inches and between the bottom of my bra and my waist.

I am "dis-tressed" to see my hair volume and color decrease so dramatically. There is much too much of my scalp peeping through my hair on top/front.

I think it is healthy hair, but is there anything I can to to make it grow IN? I have tried vitamins and massage. I treat my hair gently and it is not related to tight hairstyles, etc.

I have taken a liking to wearing head coverings, most specifically cotton Turkish headscarves or Israeli Tichels, which are bigger and lighter-weight than a bandana. I usually tie back my hair with the scarf and wear it slightly behind my front hairline--I don't want to look like a cancer patient! My aunt cautions that it will make my hair loss worse, but I don't believe it. The scarves I use are barely there and put less stress on my hair and scalp than a french braid, I'd say.

I am soon going to try henna or henna glazing. I don't want to much change my color--I'd just like to restore it to what it used to be 10-15 years ago.

I have used semi-permanent color in the past, just for fun, and it never lasted long. Will Henna fade/wash out? I know it is supposed to be permanent, but friend told me hers fades over time.

I know I could cut my hair and fluff it up and style it in such a way to hide the thinness, but I prefer to use a scarf and keep the length.

I know there are also some powders to color the scalp to hide the thin spots. I'm a pretty low-maintenance type of person and don't know if I'd bother with that.

I am hoping the Henna will thicken the hair. I wonder if it would dye my scalp for a while??

silverjen
January 29th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Dramatically thinning hair can be caused by medical issues. So my first question is to ask whether you've talked to your doctor about this? Not to cause you any worry or concern, but I think your best bet is to first eliminate the possibility of it being a medical problem. Beyond that, I'm sure there are folks here who can share their experiences.

Hugs!

tnmom66
January 29th, 2011, 07:09 PM
No, it isn't due to medical issues. I have had thyroid checked and all bloodwork was good except I was low on Vitamin D, which I started supplementing.

I think there isn't any natural "cure"-I'm not going to do rogaine, but I wonder if there are any ways to disguise it.
Thanks.