PDA

View Full Version : What is the biggest hair mistake you have ever made?

dancingunicorn
January 29th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Here are some of mine:

1) Brushing curly hair while it is drying..worst mistake ever. No wonder I hated my hair!
2.) Not my mistake but my mother's: Cutting my hair in a short bob with bangs everytime it started to get long :'( until I was nine years old and said ENOUGH
3.) Using heat wayyy too much. Just appreciate it's natural texture and stop frying it!!
4.) Short layers -__- never again
5.) Thinning it out with a razor that I used for shaving?!?!? NEVER AGAIN!!!! Caused my entire hair to be split ends..-.-

Aaand I think that's it! What are some of yours?

Leoslaire
January 29th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I went to Burning Man one year without braiding it. The event is held in an alkali desert, and it gets VERY windy at times. I was there for a week! I lost almost 4 inches, and had very bad shedding! My ponytail was a lot thinner.

Don't let this happen to you. If you go to Burning Man. Make sure you get your hair braided or wrapped!

CareBear
January 30th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Back when I had shorrrttt hair, I did a self dye job that was....unfortunate. It was a few weeks before my sisters wedding, she FREAKED! and I ended up going to an expensive salon to get it fixed. Oh, and I let a friend 'trim' my hair, again when it was short, and she chopped a few pieces down nearly to the scalp. When I went for my usual cut the stylist was horrified. Well, so was I!

Venefica
January 30th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Well I had a psychotic episode once and went at my hair with a pair of scissors, that was not to smart as I ended up with 6 cm hair. I have grown my current lenght out from that.

I am debating whatever or not my bags where a mistake, some days I love them. I think they give me a nice, dramatic and bit different and Gothic look, but other times I wish I had all my hair the same length.

wildblue
January 30th, 2011, 10:32 AM
1. Cutting it. Period.
2. Frying it with the straightening iron. My thickness has been reduced by almost half! :'(
3. Brushing it damp! Pooooof!

Izae
January 30th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Not knowing anything about hair or how to care for it when I started growing it.
Ok that doesn't sound so bad, but after two years of hair abuse, it is absolutely horrible right now.

lileve2
January 31st, 2011, 09:43 PM
once upon a time I relaxed my hair. it was completely chemically fried.

NouvelleNymphe2
February 1st, 2011, 08:12 AM
1.) chemical dying
2.) not eating right
3.) ugh layers
4.) flat iron any heat styling device (even a low heat will burn my fine hair right off, no jokes)
5.) not exercising or walking at least 20 min a day
6.) brushing while in a rush

i'm sure there are more, but these come to mind

Becky Safari
February 1st, 2011, 11:02 AM
1. Ripping through my hair with plastic brushes
2. Layers!!! GRR
3. Bangs...why do I keep trying when I know it won't work?
4. Straightening into submission. I burned my hair so badly over the years
5. No updos

Organic
February 1st, 2011, 01:09 PM
1.) chemical dying
2.) not eating right
3.) ugh layers
4.) flat iron any heat styling device (even a low heat will burn my fine hair right off, no jokes)
5.) not exercising or walking at least 20 min a day
6.) brushing while in a rush

i'm sure there are more, but these come to mind

Diet?? Is there a recommendation???

Organic
February 1st, 2011, 01:11 PM
The dye and the layers are growing out. Silver here we come. From what I get here..no heat and working out 45 minutes each day. What diet is recommended? I am currently on a low carb diet with raw vegetables

CarpeDM
February 1st, 2011, 01:49 PM
Bangs! Then growing them out and getting them again :scissors:

Organic
February 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM
doing that too. Growing out bangs,dye,//.... CarpeDM..your hair looks so healthy!

CarpeDM
February 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks Organic, I try to take care of it.

Othala
February 2nd, 2011, 07:37 AM
1. Henna
2. Cutting
3. Not being gentle

MAO
February 2nd, 2011, 07:53 AM
1. Perming
2. Dyeing the whole length of hair for the full amount of time EVERYtime. (Monthly!)
3. Washing, moussing, and blowfrying every.single.day! (No wonder my hair color faded so quickly!)

virgo75
February 2nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
1)Bleaching it white
2)Straightening it (did the bleaching and straightening on the same day and ended up with mush for hair >_< )
3)Henna. I never had breakage and now I have little pieces of breakage every day. I don't do anything with my hair that would be damaging so that's my only culprit. :(

Debra83
February 2nd, 2011, 08:41 AM
Cutting my waist length hair above shoulder. twice. :(

PeacenQuietGal
February 2nd, 2011, 09:25 AM
Getting a perm and then getting it "un-permed" - Whoa! Very mushy afterwards.

LadyCelestina
February 2nd, 2011, 09:33 AM
1.Dying it
2.Self-cut asymetric layers :mad:...

Iīve had many more for sure ,but those are the recent mistakes - I canīt wait to grow both layers and the dye out!

Kat Girl
February 2nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
I have a couple. Mind you my natural hair is wavy, fine, and very delicate, (therefore easy to mess up).

1. When I was younger I got a perm and the lady that did it left me with a huge bald spot on the back of my head. I actually did a combover or styled my hair to hide it, but then when the hair grew back the new hair spkied up.

2. I used to be Pentecostal, so for years I did not cut my hair at all, and (in addition to the perm) I also spent years using tons of heat and hairspray. The result was long hair that was pretty as long as it was styled (with heat and hairspray) but naturally very very damaged (to say the least)

3. (After I stopped being Pentecostal and started cutting my hair) More than once I asked for a trim and came out with too short layers, and sometimes (like now) the stylist didn't take into account how fine my hair is so they gave me a too thick layer on top and/or layers not well blended. Also there was a time I actually got an unwanted mullet!

4. About 2 years ago I wanted lighter blonde highlights (as my natural blonde was darkening. The first time the stylist didn't leave the color in long enough, so I had yellow highlights, which I hated. I waited a few monthes and then went to another stylist and asked for blonder and more highlights. Back then I did not know how much damage lightening can do and the stylist overprocessed my hair. I got the color I wanted but my hair (the part that did not fall out) turned into a cross between straw and stale cotton candy. It was so horrible I had to blowdry and straighten every day just to be presentable (which only made it worse). Thank God I found wen, which really helped, and I am taking much better care of my hair and seeing good results, but I am still going through the long painful process of growing out that mess.

Wow now that I think of it most of my life has been a huge hair mistake. Thank God I learned how to treat it better and found LHC!

niko_land
February 2nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
All through high school I had long hair which I wore naturally. Then in college I began dying and bleaching, straightening and blow drying, and cutting layers with a shaving razor. I can't believe I thought those things would make my hair look BETTER! :doh:

Funwithsharps
February 2nd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Letting hairstylists cut layers into my pin straight hair. Getting any kind of perm was fatal to my hair. For a long time I didn't understand what a clarifying shampoo was...I used it for every day washes--then wondered why my hair was nasty looking after it. That was in High school. Also, thinking I had to wash my hair everyday was pretty bad too.

Cybelle
February 2nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
Getting choppy layers. It was extremely difficult to do anything other than a ponytale for quite some time Even doing a simple braid would leave me with ends sticking out all over the place. I'm still growing out the last of my layers there is only one left. My front is about 3 inches shorter than the back. Plan to even it out with small trims over the next 3 years. Cant wait for an even hemline I'm already starting to notice a difference in thickness.

Pixystix6
February 2nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
I remember once I tried to "trim" down my baby hairs on the back of my neck using a shaving razor and I took an inch or so off the under part of my hair. It was bad!

hayesa
February 2nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
There are a few. :o

1) Straightened it every day on the highest heat setting. Argh! I'm still paying for that one.

2) Put lots of pure olive oil on my scalp. I was washing it out for days. (My hair didn't feel any better for it!)

3) Kept using shampoos when I know my scalp hated them. I have a very sensitive scalp, and at one point it was bleeding from the shampoo. Ouch. :(

spidermom
February 2nd, 2011, 11:36 AM
1) Having a perm on top of another perm that was growing out and losing its curl. Hello fragile brittle hair!
2) Getting highlights, which plumped up the hairs that got the highlights (probably by raising the cuticle) so that I had stripes of hairs sort of floating above the non-highlighted hairs. It was a really hideous, witchy look.

ScarlettAdelle
February 2nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Two words: chemical, straightening. Store bought chemical relaxer rinsed out with vinegar (ie, washing an already alkaline burned scalp with something more alkaline) I had huge open chemical burns. It's been almost 15 years and part of my hair still grows in much finer and slower than my already baby-fine hair.

Silverdragn7385
February 3rd, 2011, 07:43 PM
1.) Dying/bleaching my hair way too much...including dying it black. LOVED the color, but I had to bleach it several times to get all the color out.

2.) Getting it thinned out with a razor when it was short. Gah, it looked so bad.

lileve2
February 3rd, 2011, 08:55 PM
I chemically straighten my hair for almost 2 decades. I will never do that again. no more harsh chemicals for my hair.

slz
February 6th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I think I never told anyone, not even my BF - so, here it is : when I was 13-14 or something like that, I got myself a mullet cut. Willingly. And I was somehow more or less pleased with the results.
This was in the 80s, folks, so please be understanding :blush: .

kanzer
February 6th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I feel your pain SLZ, I had a mullet in 2002 - didn't even have the excuse of the 80s! I had it evened out as soon as possible... but not before all my friends made fun of me!

Apart from that my worst hair mistake was cutting it to chin-length with the kitchen scissors. It was a disaster, I've been growing it out since then. NEVER AGAIN!!