PDA

View Full Version : I just love MSM look at the difference (pics)

bunzfan
January 29th, 2011, 04:27 AM
I have always charted my hair growth by pictures and my hair all of a sudden feels much longer since i started taking MSM about two weeks ago so, i took a picture and i couldn't believe the difference till i saw the pictures.

Jan 11th 2011

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/P110111002.jpg

Jan 29th 2011

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/P110129004.jpg

yvsa
January 29th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Just: Wow:cheese:.

bunzfan
January 29th, 2011, 04:43 AM
I know i couldn't believe it, but i have also changed my vitamins started drinking more water and started eating more protein. I think its the msm as i have been eating a high protein diet for the last 6 months.

obssesif
January 29th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Did you measure?

SummerSkye
January 29th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Can really see the difference! Thats great! Ive just started taking it a couple of days ago so hope I get good results too! Your hair looks fantastic!

bunzfan
January 29th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Did you measure?

No i didn't because i find it so hard to measure my wavy hair and last time i tried it was the same measurement as four months previously so i found it quite depressing.

Can really see the difference! Thats great! Ive just started taking it a couple of days ago so hope I get good results too! Your hair looks fantastic!

Ah thank you very much i did look at the pics twice just to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me :D my hair has never been this long before. I am taking this brand http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=182&prodid=268 i take it 3 times a day but you can take up till 4 a day.

Ishje
January 29th, 2011, 05:18 AM
that is great!

longlockenvy
January 29th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Very encouraging to MSM newbies like me! Thanks for sharing!

Kherome
January 29th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I have a genetic connective tissue disorder (Ehlers Danlos 3) that makes my collagen fragile and there for I have weak joints etc. So I picked up "Flexamin" from the store as it is "supposed" to help with joints and I thought, what the hey I'll give it a go. It contains MSM. Anyone have any experience with getting your MSM this way? Good bad or other? How much MSM are you (OP) taking per day?

bunzfan
January 29th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I have a genetic connective tissue disorder (Ehlers Danlos 3) that makes my collagen fragile and there for I have weak joints etc. So I picked up "Flexamin" from the store as it is "supposed" to help with joints and I thought, what the hey I'll give it a go. It contains MSM. Anyone have any experience with getting your MSM this way? Good bad or other? How much MSM are you (OP) taking per day?

I don't have any experience with that vitamin but i take 3 tablets a day each one is 750 mg.

in_technicolor
January 29th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Wow! Great results! I have been taking MSM on and off the past two months, but I'm forgetful and I don't remember to take it all the time. This makes me want to be more consistent so I can see some great results for myself.

virgo75
January 29th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Wait, is that a typo - January 11, 2011 - January 29, 2011?

If not, then that is AMAZING hair growth! :thud:

Were you taking any supplements or doing anything for growth before taking the MSM?

Very pretty hair.
You'll be at your goal length in no time. :flower:

Solanil
January 29th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Oh wow! Your hair growth is amazing!

Thanks for the link- I think I'm going to purchase myself some of those tablets right now. :D

bunzfan
January 29th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Wait, is that a typo - January 11, 2011 - January 29, 2011?

If not, then that is AMAZING hair growth! :thud:

No it isn't a typing mistake the first picture was taken after my last trim and the last one today.

Were you taking any supplements or doing anything for growth before taking the MSM?

Very pretty hair.
You'll be at your goal length in no time. :flower:
I have been taking a hair supplement with biotin in and eating plenty of protein but since i started eating peanut butter i swear my growth has speeded up, as for my goal i was wondering last night if that was being slightly optimistic as i was only APL when i joined but that picture makes me think i can reach my goal :cheese:

Oh wow! Your hair growth is amazing!

Thanks for the link- I think I'm going to purchase myself some of those tablets right now. :D

Haha your very welcome i got mine from there as it was the only high st store that i could think of that would stock them. I hope you get some good results to.

virgo75
January 29th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I have been taking a hair supplement with biotin in and eating plenty of protein but since i started eating peanut butter i swear my growth has speeded up, as for my goal i was wondering last night if that was being slightly optimistic as i was only APL when i joined but that picture makes me think i can reach my goal :cheese:

Thanks for replying. :flower:
Yes, I believe you will not only reach your goal, you'll reach it quickly and with thick, pretty hair. :agree:

Note to self: get hair vitamins with biotin, MSM, and lots and lots of peanut butter! :p

jaine
January 29th, 2011, 08:36 AM
To be fair, it looks like your head is tilted differently in these pics; it's hard to tell how much of the difference is from that. I think vitamin effectiveness is best measured over a longer time period.

Fethenwen
January 29th, 2011, 08:41 AM
To be fair, it looks like your head is tilted differently in these pics; it's hard to tell how much of the difference is from that. I think vitamin effectiveness is best measured over a longer time period.
That is what I was thinking too, and your hair looks straighter in the other pic. It can be that you had _some growth, but it is very unlikely for that to happen in such a short time.
Anyway, your hair is lovely :) I suggest you wet your hair to get it straight and then measure it, then wait a few weeks and measure again. That is quite a good way to find out how much growth you are having.

bunzfan
January 29th, 2011, 08:42 AM

You could be right i only recently realized i have been standing not completely straight ,i am always being told to stand straight though so in today's picture i stood with my shoulders back.

BrightEyes
January 29th, 2011, 08:52 AM
That's some amazing growth! I'll have to look into trying MSM. Are there any weird/bad side affects from taking it?

Solanil
January 29th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Haha your very welcome i got mine from there as it was the only high st store that i could think of that would stock them. I hope you get some good results to.

Thanks. I've just ordered some from there now, along with some more Biotin as I'm running low. Just thought I'd let you know that on their online store not only is it buy one, get one free or half price (I can't actually remember now) but if you also enter HBMVC20, you get an additional 20% off everything in your basket. I feel like I've made such a nice saving and stocked up in the process. :D

Fairlight63
January 29th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I noticed that they are in the UK. Do they sell to USA? If so what is the postage to send it here?
Do they have a company in USA?

Thanks!

bunzfan
January 29th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I noticed that they are in the UK. Do they sell to USA? If so what is the postage to send it here?

Thanks!

They are in the UK yes but i am sure you must have a health food store in the U.S that does high quality vitamins. I just checked and they do international shipping at £6.95.

Solanil
January 29th, 2011, 09:34 AM

Thanks!

I've just had a look on their website for you and I'm afraid they only ship to European countries. I assume they don't have any stores in America either.

I'm sure there are many members here who will be able to direct you to a store that sell MSM on your side of the pond. :P

Fairlight63
January 29th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Thank you! Yes, I looked on their web site also & didn't see USA listed that they ship to.

Vorvolaka
January 29th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Wow, that's some good growth there!

Rocket22
January 29th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Your hair looks amazing!!! but I don't think in two weeks you could get that much growth from msm..(I could be wrong though) I have been taking it for the last year or so about 6000mg a day split into two two times at 3000 each time. powder form. I have not noticed any special growth in my hair :( but I'm taking it for my joints and it's been a miracle for me... but again that might just be me. I can say I don't shed much?

ancilla
January 29th, 2011, 12:02 PM
That's amazing! Awesome job!

lovinmylife
January 30th, 2011, 01:32 PM
where did you guys find your msm?? I have looked at rite aid, walmart, and food lion, and haven't found it yet :(

bunzfan
January 30th, 2011, 01:41 PM
where did you guys find your msm?? I have looked at rite aid, walmart, and food lion, and haven't found it yet :(

Have you tried online? it maybe cheaper to.

Rocket22
January 30th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I get mine here, they say it's made right there it's fresh,no filler etc.... it's really cheap too
http://www.bio-alternatives.net/msm.htm

UltraBella
January 30th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I agree that the tilt of the head and the fact that your hair appears to be straighter in the second pic may be a bit deceiving. Not intentionally, just sometimes our hair lays differently from day to day. A curly day for me can means a three inch difference. I always measure when my hair is wet and pulled straight just for the sake of accuracy.

jeanniet
January 30th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I've been taking MSM and biotin for about six months now, and it might be helping but not enough to be that obvious...although I'm not going to stop taking it, just in case! :D I agree with Ultrabella that wave/curl can make a huge difference in how long the hair looks. My hair shrinks up considerably when it's curlier.

CaveB
January 31st, 2011, 01:03 AM
I just want to say wow, your hair is gorgeous! MSM super growth or not, it's beautiful!

reverie24
January 31st, 2011, 09:58 AM
I have a question about taking the powdered form-it tastes soo bad I shudder and almost throw up each time I have to drink it! I read it's most effective with vitamin c, so if I make a smoothie with berries and orange juice and add a spoonful of msm I can't taste it as much (although I still do) but I don't always make smoothies and want to take a spoonful every morning and night. How do you mask the taste? Even in orange juice the taste is still too overpowering!

bunzfan
January 31st, 2011, 01:10 PM
I agree that the tilt of the head and the fact that your hair appears to be straighter in the second pic may be a bit deceiving. Not intentionally, just sometimes our hair lays differently from day to day. A curly day for me can means a three inch difference. I always measure when my hair is wet and pulled straight just for the sake of accuracy.

I think you may be right Ultrabella i was trying so hard to stand straight whith my shoulders back that i may have tilted my head slightly:D normally my hair is never this straight.

I've been taking MSM and biotin for about six months now, and it might be helping but not enough to be that obvious...although I'm not going to stop taking it, just in case! :D I agree with Ultrabella that wave/curl can make a huge difference in how long the hair looks. My hair shrinks up considerably when it's curlier.

Yes your right to but i have been taking much better care of myself recently and drinking plenty of water which i don't normally do.

I just want to say wow, your hair is gorgeous! MSM super growth or not, it's beautiful!

Thank you :) normally i hate my wavy hair and wish it was thicker but you have made my day.

moon-child
February 1st, 2011, 04:49 PM
I take the same MSM 3 times a day! :)
I've only been taking it for about a week (it feels like longer!) and I'm not sure I've noticed a difference yet. Plus I started lots of different things at once so I wouldn't be able to pin it on the MSM itself. I hope I get results as good as you though, your hair looks lovely!

x0h_bother
February 1st, 2011, 05:07 PM
I see a huge difference even if you 'imagine' some curl eating up length. I also know at least for me as a wavy that as hair grows longer the waves straighten out. So either way OP's hair is at this gorgeously long length! :) PS I know GNC in the States sells MSM, no idea the quality.

Rocket22
February 1st, 2011, 05:11 PM
I have a question about taking the powdered form-it tastes soo bad I shudder and almost throw up each time I have to drink it! I read it's most effective with vitamin c, so if I make a smoothie with berries and orange juice and add a spoonful of msm I can't taste it as much (although I still do) but I don't always make smoothies and want to take a spoonful every morning and night. How do you mask the taste? Even in orange juice the taste is still too overpowering!

the trick with msm is to put it in the center of your tongue. (no taste buds there) and just use lots of water and take a big gulp :) I take large amounts and found this to be very useful and you are correct with the vit. C from everything I have read

Anywhere
February 1st, 2011, 05:14 PM
Thirding Ultrabella.. but... So much growth. :bigeyes:

bunzfan
February 2nd, 2011, 04:08 AM
Thanks everyone i think my last trim back in December must of helped as i had gone 7 months without a trim. This time i am going to try and make it a year without cutting.

lovinmylife
February 2nd, 2011, 05:58 AM
Do you know if it helps with thickness? What about regrowth? Would the same benefits be seen by taking the member in pill form?

oktobergoud
February 2nd, 2011, 11:40 AM
I've just bought 2 bottles of MSM (2 for the price of 1, couldn't resist :D) so I'm curious if it will work. It's good for your muscles as well and since I'm as stiff as a wooden plank I could always use some MSM I guess :)

bunzfan
February 2nd, 2011, 12:07 PM
I've just bought 2 bottles of MSM (2 for the price of 1, couldn't resist :D) so I'm curious if it will work. It's good for your muscles as well and since I'm as stiff as a wooden plank I could always use some MSM I guess :)

Well i have noticed my joints don't ache in the winter like they used to.

oktobergoud
February 2nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
Well i have noticed my joints don't ache in the winter like they used to.

Oooh that's great to hear! My joints are always aching and I mostly work outdoors so I could definitely use something for that! :)

Rocket22
February 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Oooh that's great to hear! My joints are always aching and I mostly work outdoors so I could definitely use something for that! :)

Not to hijack thread but it's the only thing I can think of that I changed in my routine. I stared taking msm because I wanted it for my hair. I heard great things about MSm, makes hair grow faster, thicker, helps with shedding and lots more! so did my research and found lots of positive feedback on msm so stared taking small amounts (didn't notice anything) and later I decided to up my dosage to 6000mg a day, anyway I have a very very bad knee (knee surgery gone bad) and I have to have a knee replacement but I'm way to young (I could hardly walk) well it's BETTER!!! so something is helping and I credit MSM. I swear by it. I don't really think it has done much for my hair? but certainly my joints. But it takes a while didn't happen overnight

Sorry if I rambled my brain goes faster than I can type. but I do love my MSM!

dropinthebucket
February 2nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
That's some amazing growth! I'll have to look into trying MSM. Are there any weird/bad side affects from taking it?

Yes, primarily if you have hypothyroidism or low functioning thyroid. Sulphur, zinc, and copper must be kept in the proper proportions in the body, or the thyroid will be at risk. Increasing the sulphur content without the other two can throw an already low functioning thyroid gland way out of whack. Ironically, taking MSM for hair growth, if it aggravates a sluggish thyroid, can actually make your hair worse! not to mention all the other symptoms.

First-hand experience: I took 4000 mg/day for 6 months. Started taking it for arthritis and joint issues. Initially, I had good results with hair, too, including growth spurts. I thought it was amazing stuff for the first month. After about 4 months, I was very tired, and I had a strange swelling on each side of the upper lip. I was told I was having a mild myxodemic reaction, and that my body was storing the excess sulphur. Apparently, the MSM was bringing my low functioning thyroid down even further, and my kidneys were unable to flush the excess out. To prevent possible thyroid and kidney damage, I was told to stop taking it, and look for alternative treatments for arthritis. If you have any thyroid concerns at all, I would definitely advise caution with MSM.

I am, though, still taking biotin and silica, which have been good for stimulating new growth. Haven't seen overall faster growth, but I'll take new hair, if I can get it, that's for sure!! :) Neither the biotin nor the silica seem to affect the thyroid, at least, they haven't yet. I'm told they shouldn't, so I'm hopeful I can keep on with these. Hope this helps.

oktobergoud
February 2nd, 2011, 03:27 PM
Not to hijack thread but it's the only thing I can think of that I change in my routine. I stared taking msn because I wanted it for my hair. I heard great things about MSN, makes hair grow faster, thicker, helps with shedding and lots more! so did my research and found lots of positive feedback on msm so stared taking small amounts (didn't notice anything) and later I decided to up my dosage to 6000mg a day, anyway I have a very very bad knee (knee surgery gone bad) and I have to have a knee replacement but I'm way to young (I could hardly walk) well it's BETTER!!! so something is helping and I credit MSM. I swear by it. I don't really think it has done much for my hair? but certainly my joints. But it takes a while didn't happen overnight

Sorry if I rambled my brain goes faster than I can type. but I do love my MSM!

Hey, that's amazing what it has done for you! I have to say that I didn't only buy it for my hair, but mostly for my joints/muscles etc. I have some trouble with my knees as well (nothing severe though, thank god, they just make a LOT of cracking noise and sometimes hurt a lot :(), and just other joints.. so it's good to hear that it might actually work for that! If it works for my hair as well, well.. that's just a plus (an awesome plus though!)

Rocket22
February 2nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
:)
Yes, primarily if you have hypothyroidism or low functioning thyroid. Sulphur, zinc, and copper must be kept in the proper proportions in the body, or the thyroid will be at risk. Increasing the sulphur content without the other two can throw an already low functioning thyroid gland way out of whack. Ironically, taking MSM for hair growth, if it aggravates a sluggish thyroid, can actually make your hair worse! not to mention all the other symptoms.

First-hand experience: I took 4000 mg/day for 6 months. Started taking it for arthritis and joint issues. Initially, I had good results with hair, too, including growth spurts. I thought it was amazing stuff for the first month. After about 4 months, I was very tired, and I had a strange swelling on each side of the upper lip. I was told I was having a mild myxodemic reaction, and that my body was storing the excess sulphur. Apparently, the MSM was bringing my low functioning thyroid down even further, and my kidneys were unable to flush the excess out. To prevent possible thyroid and kidney damage, I was told to stop taking it, and look for alternative treatments for arthritis. If you have any thyroid concerns at all, I would definitely advise caution with MSM.

I am, though, still taking biotin and silica, which have been good for stimulating new growth. Haven't seen overall faster growth, but I'll take new hair, if I can get it, that's for sure!! :) Neither the biotin nor the silica seem to affect the thyroid, at least, they haven't yet. I'm told they shouldn't, so I'm hopeful I can keep on with these. Hope this helps.

Awe sorry to hear about that.. gosh I don't know anything about thyroid stuff but you do so guess one should do even more research before they do mass dosage. For me at this time no problems and I have been taking a high dose for about 7 months but taking it all together for a year or so, so guess I shouldn't jump on the happy wagon just yet!

Rocket22
February 2nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Hey, that's amazing what it has done for you! I have to say that I didn't only buy it for my hair, but mostly for my joints/muscles etc. I have some trouble with my knees as well (nothing severe though, thank god, they just make a LOT of cracking noise and sometimes hurt a lot :(), and just other joints.. so it's good to hear that it might actually work for that! If it works for my hair as well, well.. that's just a plus (an awesome plus though!)

thats kinda funny I bought it for my hair and thought the knee would be the bonus, where are my priorities :)

I do think I shed less but I wasn't really checking this stuff out before LHC, but as far as joints I can walk now with a lot!!! less pain and I used to have to wear my brace when I would go on any walk and I haven't used my brace since last summer:cheese:

Izzie
October 8th, 2015, 01:00 PM
It really works ^^ MSM helped me A LOT :)

I have Hashimoto's and I never noticed anything special about my symptoms while taking MSM powder O_o I mean, I was taking MSM powder every day for 4 months (3000-6000mcg) but now I take it when I remember, honestly.

Ambrielle
October 8th, 2015, 01:20 PM

May i ask what you are taking now for arthritis if you don't mind sharing? I am taking MSM for it at the moment but a much lower dose than what you did.