PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about the beach and products...

Little_Bird
June 9th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Hello there!

Long time no see! I finally am finishing university, as I only have one more test to do, after that I might post more eentually ^^ I do have some questions tough!
I spent this last weekend on a diferent city, and both Saturday and Sunday we went to the beach. I looked up in the supermarket for the product I buy every year to use in the beach and in the swimming pool, which is Elvive's Hair Sunscreen with UV Filter, and it's incredibly good for those ocasions. It's like a dry oil that you spray and it protects the hair very well. This year, however, I can't find it anywhere, and I fear they don't make it anymore. So I'm a little bit scared because I don't know what to do.
So what can I use to protect my hair at the beach?

Also, this weekend I forgot to take my oil with me (argh!) so I didn't do my usual oiling after washing my hair. I was a little bit stressed with it but I noticed my hair got very soft and less sticky, so I think: is it possible that I am overoiling my hair?
What I do every week when I wash it (I only oil once a week) is to divide it in half and put 8 drops of oil to each half. Then I put 4 more drops to the ends of each side. Then I put 2 drops on the hair near the scalf. The other steps I only apply hair ears down. Is this too much oil for one aplication a week? As I didn't put any oil last weekend I did it today, but used a little less to experiment. What do you think?

Now, I also forgot to take my hair band to protect my part last weekend so... I have a nasty scalp burn in my part and it hurts so much! It's improving now but yesterday I almost couldn't sit my head in the pillow! Oh well... I just wanted to know if this does any harm to the hair. Should I put anything there to help it heal like cream or oil?

Oh well. lots of questions. Long hair is surely a work in progress in every way. Thank's so much for reading and for the suport! Hope everyone's ok and growing long and lovely in hair and in life :flowers:

Loviatar
June 9th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Hi Little Bird! Glad you are doing well.

For the sunscreen, to be honest I normally just wear a bandana or headscarf, but my sister uses a hair protection gelee or spray. I think Clarins make one which is spf 20 or 15. And Korres red vine sun protection is meant to be good. I have also just used a coney conditioner in the sun - comb through damp hair, bun or braid and forget about it. :) That works nicely for me.

As for the scalp burn, I would just get some pure aloe vera gel and keep it in your refrigerator. Use that. No oils or butters. Perhaps could could mix some lavender essential oil (the real EO, not just scented oil) with the aloe gel. It will be nicely cooling to the sore patch and lavender is a natural healer. I used lavender EO neat on a bad burn when I caught my arm on the stove and within the week I didnt even have a red mark.

I dont know about the overoiling I'm afraid as I dont use oil that often. Sorry. Hope the other tips help though.

harley mama
June 9th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Hi LB. Good to see you. Good luck on finishing up with school.

I just use a hat or bandana, too. I try to always oil or at least wet my hair with fresh water before I go for a swim. And I try to make sure my part is covered by hair. Those darn sunburns hurt on your head. I got huge blisters once and then peeled. It was nasty looking!

Islandgrrl
June 9th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Hi Little Bird! Congrats on finishing up with school - very excellent.

Sunburn - Aloe Vera Gel! Wear a hat or scarf or buff or something to protect the burned area from more sun damage. I hate scalp sunburns! OW!

Oiling - I'm guessing its possible to over-oil, and maybe have oil build-up if it doesn't all get washed out. Maybe try a little less oil for a while and see if you like it? I noticed that when I ran out of conditioner and had to only shampoo that my hair was really fantastic looking and soft when it dried. I'm conditioning a lot less lately with good results. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that hair needs change over time and routines need constantly to be adjusted as your hair grows and changes.

Little_Bird
June 10th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Thank's for all the tips so far!

I guess that wetting hair with natural water is a good idea, maybe mixing it with some conditioner in a spraying bottle would do a good substitute for the protector??

What do you think?

(Waiting for some more good ideas =D )

About the scalpt burn, I can never find that aloe vera gel... Hm... Gotta check the market for prices and such, but is it a regular gel?

Mitzy
June 10th, 2008, 05:48 AM
When I over-oil, I just braid it until I can wash. My hair is very dry and coarse and soaks it up anyway, especially if I am out in the sun at all.
Aloe vera gel is the way to go for sunburn, especially on your scalp! Ouch, I have done that before, it surely does sting. Cold AVG is the best. Try a health food store or vitamin shoppe perhaps? Most people don't think of it as a hair gel, but it is usually available for sunburn use.
Congrats on finishing Uni! That is quite an accomplishment!

jojo
June 10th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I put a load of conditioner on my hair and braid it, then leave it in for the day. My daughter puts a little high factor sun cream in her hair, just on the canopy to protect hers. For the burn AVG is the best ouch! been there it hurts yeah? try not to comb too hard there too, but guess you figured that one out!

Oh and wear a hat!