PDA

View Full Version : Layers vs blunt hemline with wavy hair

Kat Girl
January 28th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I have fine wavy hair and have had layers for as long as I can remember. Recently I got a bad hackjob leaving me with layers that I hate and so now I'm trying to grow them out and then want to get them evened out. But my question is with fine wavy hair does a blunt hemline look good, or are layers better. (I do want to grow much longer.) I think straight hair with a blunt hemline is georgous and I wish my hair was like that naturally. But I want to do what's best for my natural hair. Can anyone share pictures and opinions of fine wavy hair with a blunt cut and with layers?

Alix
January 28th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I have layers in my hair, and it is fine, but it might be thicker then yours. I love having layers, it makes my waves more defined.

Madora
January 28th, 2011, 04:57 PM
If you hope to create updos, you'll find that layered hair is difficult to work around. One length hair is easier to manage when it comes to hairstyling in buns/braids.

einna
January 28th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I have almost the same hairtype as you. Here is my experience:

The more layers, the more wave, but it can look a bit messy. When I had longer hair (BSL+) with a blunt hemline, my waves got straighter due to the weight, so that can possibly happen to you to. Anyways, a blunt hemline seems to work for me when my hair has a bit of lenght, but shorter than APL it gets to thick and the waves wont cooperate. I am also growing out layers, and will probably go for a few long layers next time.

PS. you are only a few posts away from 25 posts, then you can see pics and look in albums :)

Madora
January 28th, 2011, 05:00 PM
KatGirl, you might want to check out this thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47351

Olyve
January 28th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Our hair types are the same, and I recently cut all my layers out (getting rid of damage) and have a blunt hemline.
I do not have wave like I use to. Instead I went from a 2b/2c to a 1b - I dislike it :( When it air dries it is confused and doesn't know which way to dry so it looks like I have cowlicks all over my head.

However, if you are wanting to do updo's as stated before, a blunt hemline is ideal. (one of minor reasons for the cut) Growing out layers if you dislike them is a hassle and will make you frustrated beyond belief!

spidermom
January 28th, 2011, 05:34 PM
One thing to take into consideration is how thick your hair is. For hair on the thin side, layers can leave the hem very thin and see through.

I like layers but I have an extra-long length goal and didn't want my hem to taper out too fast. So I keep mine layer free but not exactly blunt since I have a U-shape and not straight across.

patienceneeded
January 28th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I like layers when my hair is "short" and my hair is so thick that I need them to prevent the dreaded triangle-head look that is SOOOOO attractive. Once my hair gets longer (about BSL) I plan on slowly getting rid of the layering and returning to something more blunt. It is a lot easier to braid and wear my hair up without lots of layers to deal with.

Maddy_T
January 28th, 2011, 06:07 PM
One thing to take into consideration is how thick your hair is. For hair on the thin side, layers can leave the hem very thin and see through.

I like layers but I have an extra-long length goal and didn't want my hem to taper out too fast. So I keep mine layer free but not exactly blunt since I have a U-shape and not straight across.
Totally agree with this ^!
My best friend has SUPER fine hair and she got layers cut a while back and was absolutely distraught because she unded up having to use a bunch of products & straightening to try to get them to lay flat!. It also made her hair look even thinner!. I generally love face framing layers/long layers on long hair, but if your hair is very thin you're probably better without!!!.

jaine
January 28th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I love my layers. But I find myself wanting all of my layers to be past shoulder length ... so they'll be less cowlicky and more wavy ... I have a big fat persistent wave pattern that can look very flippy at shorter lengths.

I don't have any trouble putting my hair up with layers. But I have my own set of updos that works with my hair, and I don't expect any of my updos to look totally smooth. A favorite trick of mine is doing lace braids in the front if I want less of my front layers hanging out.

x0h_bother
January 29th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Our hair types are the same, and I recently cut all my layers out (getting rid of damage) and have a blunt hemline.
I do not have wave like I use to. Instead I went from a 2b/2c to a 1b - I dislike it :( When it air dries it is confused and doesn't know which way to dry so it looks like I have cowlicks all over my head.

However, if you are wanting to do updo's as stated before, a blunt hemline is ideal. (one of minor reasons for the cut) Growing out layers if you dislike them is a hassle and will make you frustrated beyond belief!
You're singin my song, Olyve. I am in the same boat with the layers making hair wavier but blunt being ideal. Layers are also frustrating to grow out.
OP It's a tough decision but I wouldn't say that a certain hemline is not for some hair types. If blunt is what you want go for it.

Tia2010
January 29th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I had both face framing layers and layers cut into the back of my hair. I was so happy to finally grow them long enough to cut them out into a blunt hemline (I still have my face framing layers)

ETA: I just did it in January so they did take off about 4 inches to give me a blunt hemline... but to me it was worth it !

I like my hem line blunt for now. My hair looks thicker. When my hair gets to tailbone I may go back to a few long layers I'm not sure...but for now I feel it looks better blunt.

Venefica
January 30th, 2011, 03:09 AM
I think a blunt hemline looks good on both wavy and straight hair, but it is all up to you really, what do you think would look best for your hair?

2peasinapod
January 30th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I have layers right now. While they don't look bad (in fact, they blend almost perfectly), they are a pain to style. They stick out of braids and make updos that I should be able to do with my length impossible. I'm planning to get a blunt hemline when I reach BSL.

I think a blunt hemline looks nice with wavy hair, and since your hair is fine, it shouldn't be too heavy. I think you should try it, if it's what you want.

einna
January 30th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I like layers when my hair is "short" and my hair is so thick that I need them to prevent the dreaded triangle-head look that is SOOOOO attractive.

This made me laugh! Well said! Made me think of cartoons that portrait thick haired women! I have a little of the same problem to.

Xandergrammy
January 30th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I'm with spidermom on this one- a u-shape is beautiful with wavy hair.

Clarisse
January 30th, 2011, 10:02 AM
My hair type is very similar to yours, and I absolutely hate layers in my hair. I’ve been trying to grow them out forever, but removing damage from layers is very hard as compared to simply trimming a blunt hemline. Because the shorter layers get more damaged than the rest of my hair, they break off, and this makes it even harder for me to grow them out.

I do like long layers on people with above-BSL very very thick hair. And of course everybody should do whatever they feel like - if you like layers, keep them. I don’t think they do much damage, especially not if your hair doesn’t easily get split ends.

darklion
January 30th, 2011, 11:32 AM
My hair is lightly wavy and I really like layers in it. It looks great when I curl my hair for an occasion. Now I have to agree... it's horrible for when I try to do an updo... the little ends leak out and sabotage any kind of anchoring effect I need from the ends. I guess we just need to pick our priorities!
On days like today, I question my need for layers.

Joliebaby
January 30th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I like layers on my hair when it's shorter, but with longer (past APL) hair it feels a bit messy to me. My goal is all one length blunt cut.. At least I think so now. I have about 4" of layered ends and a U-shape hemline now. It's a real pain to make buns because I have thick hair and the layers make it way worse.

pinchbeck
February 1st, 2011, 12:07 PM
I think long layers are pretty on any thickness of hair. It doesn't thin out a persons hemline that much because they are a couple of inches shorter than the length. This is how mine is right now. I have medium thickness multi textured hair. The strange thing is my hair is not as wavy as it was when it was all one length (and longer) last year. Can't figure out this mystery!

Rocket22
February 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM
I have exactly ( oops just looked again and you are 2b/c so almost exactly your hair type and hairdressers are always putting layers in my hair and its just to fine and not realy thick enough to pull it off. I would go with the blunt hemline. (right now I have breakage layers and I hate it and can't wait till it's all one length) I think with fine hair and not thick we need all the hair we can get on that hemline

LisaEvans
February 1st, 2011, 05:55 PM
As a former hairdresser, and someone with wavy hair that has multiple personality disorder (the hair, not me, though sometimes that's debatable), I thought I'd chime in with my few cents :D

There's a number of things to consider before adding layers.

First, make sure you go to a stylist that is good with curly and wavy hair. Trust me, it makes a huge difference. (I found a new stylist that managed to cut layers without making the ends of my hair look thin) A good stylist will also take time to look at your hair, your face shape and listen to you regarding what you usually do to your hair and what you'd like to do to your hair.

Face shape can also be very important in hairstyling. The shape considered 'ideal' is oval so most stylists will take that into account when cutting hair, trying to frame the hair around your face to create a more oval shape. However, if you like a feature on your face, the right cut or style can help emphasize that feature and vice versa. I have a square forehead, very square, so I find that a fringe of some kind or layering around my face adding movement over the corners of my forehead is very flattering. It slims my face a little and cuts the corners of my forehead. A good stylist will be aware of all of this and can make suggestions. But you should always keep presidential veto!

Second, you want to take into consideration how you like to style your hair. If you wear your hair down a lot, layers will give you more movement, volume and styling options. If you like to wear your hair up, blunt would make updos much easier to accomplish. Though, face framing pieces are almost always a good option if done well.

Third, you do want to consider the health of your hair. Layers will get damaged easier than blunt hair if you do a lot of styling, heat styling or any kind of manipulation, and it is difficult to grow out damaged layers and keep your length.

Also, you have to take into account your personality. Whether you handle change well or not. I used to handle change very well, at least where my hair was concerned. However, as it gets longer, any amount of cutting makes me very nervous, which caused me to cut my own hair for years (not recommended ;) ) If you're nervous about change, go slowly; add a few face framing pieces. Not full layers around the face, just a few pieces here and there. If you like it, you can always try full layers around the face, maybe then branch out into light layering in the canopy leaving the ends to look thicker.

To sum up, really take time to consider what you do with your hair now and what you'd like to do with it. Then, research and find a stylist good with curly hair and schedule a consultation. I really hate to say this part, but it's true, you may have to pay more than you'd like for a good haircut. But, it's so important with wavy hair, and a really quality haircut will last for quite some time.

But most of all, have fun with your hair! :D

Good luck!

strawberryfine
November 12th, 2022, 03:25 PM
I have Uber fine 2a hair, growing out layers that stick out everywhere, split ends and damage on the ends of the layers. I'm all for a blunt cut, no layers. My hair actually looks wavier without layers and wavier with a little more length.
I think sometimes you have to grow into your waves. Now, as my hair is very, very fine, I find that the light weight of my hair doesn't drag down my waves, much or at all.

Artemisa
March 24th, 2023, 09:00 PM
I haven't see your dencity but on theory it would be safer and quicker, well...acording to my personal logic, to go blunt first and see how you feel with it and try layers later after the lenth you wish to have. Also your style can help you to decide that, are you going for a more minimalist, clean look, or you are more a romantic, elegant woman? As a general idea this would help you and, of course, nothing is set of stone but just to give it a thought could help a bit. For example, I have 3b hair, I have very peculiar face, big nose, expresive eyes, I move my hands a lot when I speak... and in contrast I have a very bold and minimalist approache to fashion and makeup... I prefer my hair on a blunt cut because I intentionally want to cut the drama that layers can add to my curly hair... by this point Im not sure I am making any sence trying to explain my point... sorry and thanks for reading.