PDA

View Full Version : Opinions about a cut, please!

HintOfMint
January 28th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Hey everyone, just writing in for a bit of advice. I'm growing out layers and I've gotten rid of quite a few in the last two trims.

However, in the trim before last, the hairdresser took the front sections of my hair (hair coming from my temples) and SLICED downwards with her scissors. I also have some layers in those sections as well.

So those sections have horribly thin ends and damage like you wouldn't believe. I've been S&D-ing and that's helped a bit, but it's like a never-ending quest.

When my hair is curly from a bun, they aren't so noticeable, as they just taper into a curl. But when it's just wavy or on the straighter side, they just look so ratty and rough.

I'm wondering if I should cut away the ends in the front and have a really exaggerated U-shaped hemline. I'm more concerned with growing the layers in the back that go from top to bottom than growing out the side to center layers. However, that may make braids and buns a bit more difficult.

Should I cut away the thin ends all together? Should I leave it alone and just grow to goal and maintain while the layers catch up? Or should I trim a moderate amount, not get rid of all the thinness, but make growing them out a little better?

enfys
January 28th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Personally, I would leave the front sections as is and keep S&Ding. Eventually they are likely to blend more, and braids won't be interfered with.

I find that cutting that sort of thing to be blunt makes for a hellish time getting a good braid. Of course, it depends on how often you wear your hair straight and loose.

A pic would be very helpful if you have a recent one; what seems noticable to you may not be so to others.

einna
January 28th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I mostly agree with enfys, but would throw in just a small trim to help it get healthier.

Rocket22
January 28th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I have this exact problem. but my front and sides are thin!!!! it's kinda weird like the hairdresser pulled the hair forward sliced down but took chuncks from the back.. I totally feel your pain and I think you should just let it grow and trim little by little...:)

HintOfMint
January 29th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks for your input, y'all.

I don't have a great picture of what I'm talking about but hopefully you'll get the idea. The ratty parts in the front are the sections of hair from my temples.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7176&pictureid=94706

rosek
January 29th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I have a similar problem. I'm letting the front sections grow out. I've found that dusting helps, and looks more natural than a blunt cut.

Macaroni
January 29th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I saw your pic.
I would concentrate on treating your hair gently, and putting it up so that the shorter sides don't bug you. The next time you go for a trim, insist on only a little from the bottom, straight across and make sure the cutter pays attention. If not, find someone new who understands that you want long hair, NO LAYERS.

bunzfan
January 30th, 2011, 05:35 AM
I have this exact problem. but my front and sides are thin!!!! it's kinda weird like the hairdresser pulled the hair forward sliced down but took chuncks from the back.. I totally feel your pain and I think you should just let it grow and trim little by little...:)

As a past hair dresser i can tell you they do that to take the weight out of hair, i had this done in the past as they think i have super thick hair and it made it feel very thin:(