PDA

View Full Version : Do Ihave the biggest head ever or something????

SummerSkye
January 28th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Ok this is probably a very very silly question but I'm slightly confused over hair lengths here! Ive measured my hair length a few times (starting from my front hairline ) and it is def 20 ", Ive even made my poor husband measure it too! What I don't understand is that my hair is only just past shoulder length and when looking at other peoples pics a lot of the time 20" or thereabout is down near BSL! I don't think my head is that big really, its just average size lol! Im about 5ft 6", don't have a fringe (bangs) and do have quite a high forehead, are these the variables that make the difference on how long hair looks/is? Any clues folks?:confused:

kwaniesiam
January 28th, 2011, 01:54 PM
They may not be measuring starting from the same spot as you.

sami
January 28th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Sounds about right to me? I'm slightly past shoulder now and I get 20" too. :shrug:

Rosalaun
January 28th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Don't worry about it - it sounds perfectly fine to me. My hair at 22 inches is barely past APL. I'm 5' 5", so I'd imagine my hair would be about the same place as yours at 20".

CarpeDM
January 28th, 2011, 02:02 PM
That isn't a silly question at all! I'm still not 100% sure on the measuring. When I first joined I was measuring from the top of my head and my hair was 16 inches long. Then I realized I wasn't measuring from my hairline and going back over my head which makes it 19 inches long. There can be a big difference in how you measure...

ddiana1979
January 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Either they're measuring differently or are quite short. I'm 5'9" and 24" isn't "true BSL" to me (I personally define "true BSL" as the bottom of the bra strap). I don't have a tape on me right now, but I know 22" was APL, so I'm guessing 20" was a little below SL on me. I have a high forehead (like you) and a short torso, with most of my height being in the legs.

Cheeks1206
January 28th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I think that sounds about right. I'm 5'1" (quite a bit shorter than you!) and BSL on me is about 26". Definitely not 20".

ibleedlipstick
January 28th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I'm 5'8 and 23/23.5 is just barely past collarbone on me. I think it depends on how/where you measure.

nellreno
January 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM
For me, BSL was at 27". So 20" at shoulder length actually sounds right.

Anje
January 28th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I'd say BSL for me is about 26" (haven't checked in ages). I tend to define it as the bottom of the strap, too.

Maybe the people you're comparing to are wearing racerbacks?

virgo75
January 28th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I agree that there is probably a difference in how people measure.

Some women wear their bras high(within a couple of inches of APL) and some wear them lower. Some also count the top of the bra as BSL, while others count the bottom as BSL.

So if someone who is shorter(like myself at 5'3") were to measure where APL is it's about 20 in. BSL if I wore my bra high and measured BSL as being the top of the strap, then I could be at BSL at about 23 in. But I measure at the bottom or middle of the bra(I'll let you know when I get there :p ) and I wear my bra medium(not almost under my armpits, but not directly above my waist) and BSL would be around 26 in.

Oh, 1 more thing to take into account is neck length and torso length.
If someone has a shorter neck and/or torso they'll be at BSL & WL before someone with a longer neck and torso.

Hope that helps. :flower:

SummerSkye
January 29th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Thanks everybody! It makes much more sense now and at least I don't have to worry about having a humungous head lol! XX

Merlin
January 29th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Biggest head ever? No, you don't

http://www.dandare.org/dan/aliens/mekon/mekon01.jpg

SummerSkye
January 29th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Biggest head ever? No, you don't

http://www.dandare.org/dan/aliens/mekon/mekon01.jpg

LMAO! That was what I was scared I was gonna look like if the rest of my hair falls out so phew!!!

Xandergrammy
January 29th, 2011, 07:38 AM
My hair at pixie was 15". I have a very large head. Normal size skull caps for women barely cover my ears and pop off the top of my head.

ingvild
January 29th, 2011, 08:40 AM
My BSL is 27 inches, and that is the top of the bra strap. So, it's more like 28, I guess (but I pretend it's 27 :P ) This is with a very well-fitting bra, I have one that rides up and makes me much closer to BSL 8) - and APL is around 23 on my body. Yep yep.

jaine
January 29th, 2011, 09:52 AM
My hair at pixie was 15". I have a very large head. Normal size skull caps for women barely cover my ears and pop off the top of my head.

Mine too ... and there was no way that I was going to claim "15-inch hair" with a pixie cut. I don't want to call my hair 15" long when it's actually just 1/2 - 3" long.

I'm sticking to body landmark lengths like shoulder, waist, etc - because they're more universally understood.

I measured the length of my bangs and nape hair at the end of 2010 so I could measure it again later and see how much it grew - but there's no head measurement in that; the tape measure starts at my scalp and goes to the end of my hair.

princessp
January 29th, 2011, 10:00 AM
LOL Merlin, that is way too funny!

marzipanthecat
January 29th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I haven't measured my hair for years, but I used to take a tape measure, then select a random section of hair, and measure it from where the root was (you know, the scalp!) down to the end of the hair. Obviously I measure it differently to the standard here!

By the way, I have a freakishly large head - I don't look too strange at first, but I find it difficult to get hats (or swimming caps) to fit me. I believe the saying is (when referring to little hats on big heads like mine): It's like a pimple on St Paul's. (Um, St Paul's Cathedral, in London...)

rags
January 29th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Also, if you haven't considered this - some people update their siggys much more often than their measurements. I know I've been guilty of that in the past when I had longer hair.