PDA

View Full Version : What is this hairstyle called?

SwordWomanRiona
January 28th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Hello there! This is a hairstyle I love to wear, but I'm a bit befuddled because I don't really know what to call it. First step is a high ponytail, then I coil the hair around the rubber band twice, fix it (with a kind of barrette and a pair of small clips in this case) and let the rest fall down:
http://p4tg4w.bay.livefilestore.com/y1ppCfki9RoefLUhIZ8otunNjItdRoBUyFqQwDFs0V4d4rDBNd SgKk9ohjzhZH3siL0M-TcOlvXowLuv_-K0ZWoeIDgkgZSLiQV/Full%20sunlight1.jpg?psid=1
It isn't a half-up, because the hair 'that is not up' in a bun isn't really loose. A half-updo, perhaps? Or is that the same? It's just I haven't seen many hairstyles like this in the typical hairstyle sites...
So if you know what this is called, please take my confusion away! :)

mizk5110
January 28th, 2011, 10:38 AM
No idea what to call it, but it's very pretty!!

enfys
January 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I've never seen a bun like that have a name; most that leave a tail have it coming out of the centre, like an odango bun.

keshini
January 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Rather off-topic: does anyone know how to go about changing one's hair partition? I have had the same partition for ages and now that it is widening, I feel it is high time I changed it.

SwordWomanRiona
January 28th, 2011, 11:01 AM
No idea what to call it, but it's very pretty!!
Thanks! :o

I've never seen a bun like that have a name
Great, so...I'm wearing the nameless hairstyle that isn't neither an updo nor a half-updo! :D:D

Rather off-topic: does anyone know how to go about changing one's hair partition? I have had the same partition for ages and now that it is widening, I feel it is high time I changed it.

I just take a comb and open a new partition where I want, pushing hair to the left/right (my hair's parted at the centre). But maybe this won't work for a long time - my hair being very stubborn, I can return to my usual partition just by brushing it :( Don't know how yours behaves.

Tressie
January 28th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Not a specific name, but to call it a "half-up" is, I think, accurate. It looks pretty! (o:

Madora
January 28th, 2011, 12:04 PM
@ Keshini... Just a caution re: new hair partition...Your roots might hurt for a short while while they adjust to the new part.

jel
January 28th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I thought buns with the bottom of the ponytail hanging down were called bunny tails. But maybe that is just for those ones with the tail protruding from the centre of the bun.

podo
January 28th, 2011, 03:08 PM
The coil part looks like a bee-butt bun... I'd call it the "bee-butt & legs bun" ;)

Aliped
January 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I thought buns with the bottom of the ponytail hanging down were called bunny tails.

I like the bunny tail the best. Other than that, I'd just call it a high pony-half bun.

It looks great by the way!

Fairlight63
January 28th, 2011, 03:14 PM
That is a very pretty hairstyle & sounds easy to do also. I have to try it sometime.

MissManda
January 28th, 2011, 03:29 PM
That hairstyle is what's known as gorgeous! :D I don't think I recognize it from anywhere, but I really like it!

SwordWomanRiona
January 28th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Thank you all for your ideas and nice comments! :)
I hadn't realized this kind of hairstyle was so 'unusual', I do it all the time because I think it's easy to do in a rush, comfortable and elegant. And it's a nice option if you want to wear your hair up, but have it down at the same time :p.
So you have given me stuff to think about...

Milui Elenath
January 28th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I used to wear my hair like that all the time! But with only a metal barette - I stopped because I was concerned about breakage though I never had any evidence. I still like to use it on occasion. :)

I got the idea from a website but I don't know what they called it and I've just looked and they no longer have it in their styles. :shrug:

SwordWomanRiona
January 29th, 2011, 11:14 AM
So-thanks for all the ideas!

Not a specific name, but to call it a "half-up" is, I think, accurate. It looks pretty! (o:
I thought 'half-up' meant leaving your hair loose except a section (braided, in a bun or ponytail), but if it means 'having your hair partly up', this would be a half-up too. Sounds stupid, but I'm still a bit befuddled about the meaning...:D

I thought buns with the bottom of the ponytail hanging down were called bunny tails. But maybe that is just for those ones with the tail protruding from the centre of the bun.
I looked that up, and yes, I think they're just the ones with the tail protruding from the centre.

The coil part looks like a bee-butt bun... I'd call it the "bee-butt & legs bun" ;)
:lol: Your idea's so funny, but I'm not sure I'd dare to use this name :D.

I like the bunny tail the best. Other than that, I'd just call it a high pony-half bun.

It looks great by the way!
A high pony-half bun sounds fine...:)

I used to wear my hair like that all the time! But with only a metal barette - I stopped because I was concerned about breakage though I never had any evidence. I still like to use it on occasion. :)

I got the idea from a website but I don't know what they called it and I've just looked and they no longer have it in their styles. :shrug:

That's convenient :D. And in my case, this hairstyle has not caused any damage to my hair, as far as I know...:confused:

brunette
January 29th, 2011, 11:22 AM
My first thought was a 'length shortening bun' maybe that could be part of it's name?
Length Shortening Princess Bun?

SwordWomanRiona
January 29th, 2011, 11:28 AM
My first thought was a 'length shortening bun' maybe that could be part of it's name?
Length Shortening Princess Bun?

It could be! I remember reading about length shortening hairstyles somewhere...Thanks!

ravenreed
January 29th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I really like that one! I was thinking the "Bun of Confusion" myself. For those of use who might like to duplicate this look, can you give more instructions please? For instance, how are you wrapping some of the hair around the pony but still leaving some down. Or are you more making the bun over the pony, not around. Sorry to be dense.

enfys
January 29th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I really like that one! I was thinking the "Bun of Confusion" myself. For those of use who might like to duplicate this look, can you give more instructions please? For instance, how are you wrapping some of the hair around the pony but still leaving some down. Or are you more making the bun over the pony, not around. Sorry to be dense.

You aren't being dense; they might be a key instruction that would lead us to a great name :D

ibleedlipstick
January 29th, 2011, 04:05 PM
You aren't being dense; they might be a key instruction that would lead us to a great name :D

This! It is quite pretty as well.:D

dragonmyst
January 29th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Personally I'd call it a Comet Bun since there is a tail....
But that is just me.

I can't wait till my hair is long enough to try this one!

brunette
January 29th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Comet Bun - yes that really suits it!

enfys
January 29th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Comet bun is taken I think. Lemme find the link...

2 mins later...

Nope, I was thinking of comet knot.

SwordWomanRiona
January 30th, 2011, 10:14 AM
'Comet bun' is a great name! Now I can go to my Astrophysics' classes wearing a 'comet bun' :D:D. Very suitable.
Although 'Bun of confusion' was rather accurate, too :p

ETA:

Instructions! Great, see if I can manage that :):
1. I put my hair into a high ponytail.
2. What I do is not a bun over the pony, it's the other option you mentioned: I take my ponytail hair and wrap it twice around the rubber band (sometimes I wrap it around three times, depending on how short I want the 'tail' to be. For shorter hair, wrapping it around once would work too, I guess).
3. What I used to do now was fixing the "wrapped ponytail hair" up with some clips, so that it looks lke a bun with a tail of hair 'protruding' under it. The rest of hair is "trapped" by these clips, so that it falls down from below the wrapped hair.
Now, in this particular case I've shown, I was experimenting with my new barrette-like hair-toy, and did this:
I wrapped my hair twice around the ponytail as above, but then I fixed it into place with the barrette and two small clips. None of these is really visible in the photo, because my bunned hair had fallen down covering the barrette (and giving an impression of more volume which I liked :)).

If this is still a bit confusing, I'll post some more pictures when I have time. If it still is, who knows, I might be making a video to post in youtube. Still not sure about the name, though. 'How to do a Comet Bun'? 'The Confusion Bun is made like this'? :D:D

ETA2: There's a couple more pictures in my public profile of this hairstyle, but they're not very clear, like this one:
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7006&pictureid=93520
My hair was a bit messy by then, I had just come back from University...I think I have some that show this from the side, close-up, a bit clearer. Will try to upload them when I find time, if you'll find them useful :).

dragonmyst
January 30th, 2011, 01:36 PM
'Comet bun' is a great name! Now I can go to my Astrophysics' classes wearing a 'comet bun' :D:D. Very suitable.
Although 'Bun of confusion' was rather accurate, too :p

LOL Just call it Comet Bun; the Bun of Confusion

summerjade
January 30th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Whatever it is called it is very pretty . Lovely hairstyle . One I will do. I like the name bunnytails!! That would be a good name to call it!!

cybernetica
January 30th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Very pretty indeed its nice simple yet elegant. The first thing that popped in my mind was a half spun bun :P dunno if it already has been used for another hair style tho.

Macaroni
January 30th, 2011, 08:31 PM

Yup, it's a variation of the half up.

Juneii
January 30th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I don't know but I do this all the time and secure it with a ficcare :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6600&pictureid=87713

SwordWomanRiona
January 31st, 2011, 11:01 AM
Whatever it is called it is very pretty . Lovely hairstyle . One I will do. I like the name bunnytails!! That would be a good name to call it!!
I think 'bunny tails' refer to a type of bun with the hair coming out of the centre, though...:)

Very pretty indeed its nice simple yet elegant. The first thing that popped in my mind was a half spun bun :P dunno if it already has been used for another hair style tho.
Haven't heard of the name. I looked it up, but google showed me food images :rolleyes:. Great :D

I don't know but I do this all the time and secure it with a ficcare :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6600&pictureid=87713
That looks pretty! I have tried that variation, too, but I haven't got any decent ficcares yet :)

podo
February 1st, 2011, 06:39 PM
I just found this post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=626765&postcount=35) talking about a bunnytail! heheheh

ALYSSA
February 1st, 2011, 09:16 PM
ooohhh ur hair is lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *cries a river* you ALL have beautiful hair no matter what neone tells ou!!!!! no matter age ,sex, race nothing every one has beautiful. HAIR doesnt discriminate and ANYONE can grow long healthy hair... you all really encourage me :)

SwordWomanRiona
February 2nd, 2011, 08:18 AM
I just found this post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=626765&postcount=35) talking about a bunnytail! heheheh
That Viking knotted ponytail looks nice :)

ooohhh ur hair is lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *cries a river* you ALL have beautiful hair no matter what neone tells ou!!!!! no matter age ,sex, race nothing every one has beautiful. HAIR doesnt discriminate and ANYONE can grow long healthy hair... you all really encourage me :)

Thanks for the nice comment (:o), and welcome to the LHC!
I agree 100% about anyone being able to grow beautiful hair- but patience is required! :)