PDA

View Full Version : How can I deepen my red hair?

candycane
January 28th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Hi everyone. I joined up because I have some questions about how I can deepen my red hair color. Last month, I had chemically dyed jet black hair. I dyed this over my natural virgin hair color, which was a light golden brown. I kept this look for about 6 months before deciding that although I really liked it, it made me look too washed out and pale. I decided I really wanted lighter red hair. I went to the salon and over the course of 2 weeks and 2 visits I got a very golden strawberry blonde. It's nearly the exact color I wanted except I wish there were more red tones and less golden ones.

I've been looking into options about how to redden my hair. It's definitely already red, but there's more yellow tones than red (especially at the top which took better than some of my length). I'm hesitant to dye again (either at home or at the salon) because of damage. I know depositing color isn't as bad as stripping and lightening, but I'm mostly afraid of making a terrible mistake and my hair not being anywhere near the color I want anymore.

So far I tried soaking my hair for 5 hours in dark coffee to take some of the yellow tinge off and bring out the red tones- it didn't work. I also bought Ulta's reddening glaze, which looked fantastic but left my hair so greasy, that upon washing it twice- I had washed it all out anyway.

What would you recommend I do? I can post pics if needed, but basically I have a very light strawberry blonde, that I would like a bit more of a vibrant deep red (copper penny?) look.

Thanks so much and I look forward to reading your suggestions.

Alvrodul
January 28th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Start researching henna and indigo - a good place to start is here (http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/index.html). There is also lots of information on henna, indigo and cassia in the articles sections and the section on Recipes, Henna and Herbal Haircare.
Personally, I loooove henna, how it looks and how it makes my hair feel, and I don't expect that to change. Which is a good thing, because henna is very permanent.
When you have gathered the information you need, you can start thinking about putting the stuff on your hair. But before you do that, always strand test, strand test and strand test some more!

dropinthebucket
January 28th, 2011, 08:20 AM
One word: HENNA, and one caveat: ONLY if you are sure you wouldn't want to change the colour again. Henna is fantastic for colour and renewing damaged hair, but it is very, very permanent.

candycane
January 28th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks. I've read quite a bit about henna both on this forum and the henna one. I'm very afraid of it, for lack of a better word. Because I know if I don't like what I end up with, I'm pretty much stuck it. I'm mostly afraid of the hair going too dark, because I do like my light red- I just want tone down the brassy and up the red. I'm thinking of getting some and doing a strand test, but even then it's scary to imagine applying it to my own head and hoping for the best. I nearly just had the black stripped at the salon to do henna myself, but after reading about it extensively I felt like it was way beyond what I was ready for.

Alvrodul
January 28th, 2011, 09:06 AM
If you are worried about getting a too dark red, I would suggest a henna gloss, or mixing with cassia.
For a look at the colors that are possible with cassia/henna/buxus/indigo, have a look here (http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html). :D
And starting carefully, by using a henna gloss or a mix with cassia is sensible anyway - you can go darker easily, but not lighter!

Bianca
January 28th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Sometimes I get the idea that I want to dye my hair again and then I search and search for ways to color and keep red hair, red. This is what I found. Sounds good. None damaging.

http://www.ukhairdressers.com/store/details.asp?ID=Revnutricolorcreme

Another thing you could do is mix up some special effects (napalm orange or something) in your conditioner. If you just leave it on for 5 min or less, it would only give a boost in color. Thats what I would do if I ever decide to go red again. But I should say, never tried any of this myself, been a huge dye junkie once though, so do know a thing or two :p

Good luck.

Coan-Teen
January 28th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I have the solution. Quantum Riveting Reds Color Depositing conditioner. The shampoo is really rough on hair but the conditioner is fine and it leaves a light red stain so you can choose how often to use it. It is excellent and when I hennaed I used it to refresh my red. Very effective and I've had any problems with greasiness. Hope it helps!

candycane
January 28th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try all these products out (the henna glaze, riveting reds and the product from the UK). So myself I ordered John Frieda's red glaze, roux fanciful rinse, and aveda full spectrum deposit. I figure one of these must be able to maintain a deeper red lol. Sadly, nothing has arrived yet, but hey at least I'll have a lot of options when they start coming in.

I should also mention that my hair is just below shoulder length and my goal is another 4 inches! Which I had but really needed to trim off from damage after lifting the stubborn black from my hair. Oh well, good health is better than length. I hope I can gain my 4 inches back quickly.