PDA

View Full Version : Whats the weirdest hair myth/story/whatever you've ever heard?

musicallberrii
January 27th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I was at school earlier and had my back turned to a group of people who were talking. One of them asked another something like "How do you grow your hair long?" This girl said "Well I wash twice a day with dog flea shampoo and use baby oil on my hair afterwards." I was like what in the world? And turned around. (Not to be mean) but she had the frizziest hair ever and it was oily at the same time (huh?). Her hair was about waist length and see thru from her shoulders down. She went on about how flea shampoo caused your hair to grow fast and her hair "nearly grew 3 inches this past year". It was soooo hard to not chime in.. Definitely the weirdest thing I've ever heard someone say about their hair.

fluffybunny
January 27th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Man, that's like a conversation you'd hear in a weird dream. Baby oil? Dog flea shampoo? Three inches a year? Ooookaaaay....

I don't have such an original weird hair myth as that, but these have always seemed odd to me:
- Horse "Mane & Tail" shampoo fad
- the idea that trimming makes hair grow faster
- hair vitamin product reviews where people report a big difference in their hair after taking the vitamins for a few days (I've really seen these on Amazon)

Druid of Alba
January 27th, 2011, 11:40 PM
...That is odd! Perhaps you should kindly inform her that flea shampoo probably isn't the best thing for her hair?
I wonder where she heard that from. She must be gullible. Poor her!
I've heard several times before that if you don't cut your hair it will grow on indefinately. That one always annoys me. Do people actually think that?
I've also heard that in the bible it says that a woman's long hair is her glory, but long hair on a man is a shame. How hilarious. I wonder who comes up with these!
Thanks for sharing!
**how hilarious about the shame part.

ddiana1979
January 27th, 2011, 11:41 PM
LOL. . . Once I ran out of shampoo & had a holiday party to go to. Didn't have time to run to the store, was in quite a hurry to get ready, etc. The only shampoo in the house? My dogs' flea & tick shampoo. ;) I used it (& the accompanying conditioner). I received several compliments on how shiny my hair was that night & one compliment on the pleasant scent. ;)

Druid of Alba
January 27th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I've also heard that cutting your hair under a new moon willl make it grow faster, and that cutting under the full moon will make it grow thicker. But that's actually cool! I want to try it, even if it is just a silly myth, haha!

musicallberrii
January 28th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Haha, these are great! I didn't want to risk her being offended by me commenting on their conversation, since she obviously thought her hair care routine was fantastic. People do weird stuff in generally, but I have to admit it grosses me out to think of washing my hair with flea shampoo..

leoninnu
January 28th, 2011, 12:21 AM
I remember someone once explaining to me something about how cutting the hair would help it grow faster because cutting of the damaged end would make the hair smoother and the nutrients would be able to travel better from the scalp to the tip of the hair if it was smooth. It was so bizarre though that I'm not totally sure it wasn't a dream o.o

Oz
January 28th, 2011, 12:44 AM
that long hair DRAINS the life out of you and thats why im sleepy all the time.

im not sleepy all the time.

Ishje
January 28th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I really want to laugh when people say: but your hair is dead from bsl down.

really? and all the other hair is not dead?

BranwenWolf
January 28th, 2011, 01:05 AM
I really want to laugh when people say: but your hair is dead from bsl down.

really? and all the other hair is not dead?

Yeah, "your hair is dead!!1!" from whatever point they pick downwards.

If the healthy hair was alive why didn't it bleed when I took 13 inches off?

ddiana1979
January 28th, 2011, 01:14 AM
You shouldn't/can't have long hair once you're older than 30.

FoxRain
January 28th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Cutting your hair will make it grow faster. The explanation that I got was that the hair was like "do you dare to cut me?! I will grow back tenfolds to teach you a lesson!".
The person obvious explained it more "scientificly", but that was what I got out of it.

LittleDreamer
January 28th, 2011, 02:44 AM
ddiana, my art teacher told me this once when I explained to her that I wanted to grow my hair to my knees and keep it that way when i was an old lady, she said she didn't think it was appropriate for women over 30 to have long hair. :shrug:

MissManda
January 28th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I think the strangest hair myth that I've been told was when I was about eleven or twelve and being pressured into cutting my hair short. A relative told me that once I cut my the past-waist length hair short that it would never, ever be able to grow back to that length again. They said that it had something to do with the hair somehow "sensing" that it could only be a certain length and would stop growing.

Well, it turned out that I didn't like the bob I got at all, and I proceeded to grow my hair out again. About two years later, my hair had reached midback. Since I was terrified of going back to a hairdresser, my hemline wasn't the bluntest and the relative used my "scraggly, unhealthy" ends as evidence that my hair couldn't be as nice as it used to be because I'd cut it short. :bigeyes: The last time I looked at a picture of my hair from then, the ends weren't even fairytailing, but were just getting a little uneven as hair tends to do.

Um, okay... :rolleyes:

linnepinne
January 28th, 2011, 03:21 AM
My aunt told me that "long hair on older women is gross and unhygenic!" When I asked her (quite irritably) why on earth long hair is grosser than short hair, and if older women are dirtier than younger?, she sort of tried to wriggle out of the situation claiming that that was not what she said. Only that she doesn't think it looks good on anyone over 35.
Sometimes people just blurt horrible stuff out without thinking.

Aeltt
January 28th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Oh i heard that one too "why do you want long hair ? It drains your energy out [or whatever]"
That girl is my friend but sometimes she says.. weird things. (she also said that if you're guilty when you eat something, you'll gain weight. Well.. ok.)

Mesmerise
January 28th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I've also heard that cutting your hair under a new moon willl make it grow faster, and that cutting under the full moon will make it grow thicker. But that's actually cool! I want to try it, even if it is just a silly myth, haha!

Actually, last April I tried cutting my hair by the moon (as advised by a magazine LOL) to make it grow faster... and I don't know if it's coincidence or not, as SOON as I had that cut I started shedding...and for the next three months I shed like CRAZY and ended up with waaaaay less hair than before!

I am staying way away from those ideas now!!!

(Okay, it's probably pure coincidence... but... it certainly didn't help my hair growth!!)

The other stupid hair myth is that trimming makes your hair grow faster... I always thought that was stupid (as if your roots know that you've cut a cm off the ends anyway...).

Kherome
January 28th, 2011, 05:09 AM
It actually does say that in the Bible.

I've also heard that in the bible it says that a woman's long hair is her glory, but long hair on a man is a shame. How hilarious. I wonder who comes up with these!
Thanks for sharing!
**how hilarious about the shame part.

musicallberrii
January 28th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Oz and Ishje, those are hilarious. I can't believe someone said hair drains the life out of you.. haha how ridiculous. I can't stand it when people blurt out stuff that is obviously a myth and just ridiculous. Where do they get their information from, geez!

I have heard the one about trimming hair all the time so it will grow and did it when I was younger. I got annoyed because it never grew and put the scissors away. Guess what? It grew! Everyone asked me what I did to make it grow so fast. Um.. I stopped cutting it!

enfys
January 28th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Someone wrote in my school leaving book to "keep my hair growing!". No need to remind me; it was there on my list with keeping me heart beating and my eyes blinking.

Most people know far, far better than to give me hair advice so I don't get these funny stories:p

Purdy Bear
January 28th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Iv heard of one Iv never tried which was putting raw egg on your hair and then having a hot shower. I always thought it would end up like scrambled eggs so never tried it.

nellreno
January 28th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Something that was actually posted in a different thread here: someone said to one of the members that they needed to trim their hair an inch every 6 weeks in order to grow their hair (even though if you only grow the average amount a month you'd be *losing* length).

Kherome
January 28th, 2011, 07:08 AM
My aunt told me that "long hair on older women is gross and unhygenic!" [quote]

This, actually, can sometimes be true. I used to cut hair, and the two populations I found lice or other disgusting things on the most were children and old ladies with long hair. I'm guessing this is because the older ladies were somewhat infirm and couldn't keep up with the washing, and they often had open bloody sores on their heads from scratching. Also, the grandkids probably passed the lice on to grandma during a visit.

[quote=Aeltt;1452344]Oh i heard that one too "why do you want long hair ? It drains your energy out [or whatever]"
That girl is my friend but sometimes she says.. weird things. (she also said that if you're guilty when you eat something, you'll gain weight. Well.. ok.)

This used to be "common knowledge." When someone took ill, especially with a high fever, they'd cut their hair off to "save their life." Where the myth came from, I don't know, but you'll often see this mentioned in very old medical periodicals...which nobody but me likes to read I'm guessing LOL

Siava
January 28th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Tugging on hair will make it grow faster.

Jessica Trapp
January 28th, 2011, 08:26 AM
One of them asked another something like "How do you grow your hair long?" This girl said "Well I wash twice a day with dog flea shampoo

This cracked me up. :D

jes

Fufu
January 28th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Washing your hair twice everyday will make them grow longer.
Personally: Really? I always think this is untrue.

Funwithsharps
January 28th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Tugging on hair will make it grow faster.

My friend in High School had similar advice. She claimed that her professional hair stylist sister told her this. She thought putting her hair into a tight ponytail would pull on her roots to make her hair get longer faster...

freecelt
January 28th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I've also heard that in the bible it says that a woman's long hair is her glory, but long hair on a man is a shame.
"But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for [her] hair is given her for a covering. Does not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame to him?" I Corinthians 11:14-15

PiroskaCicu
January 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Once when I got a haircut/dye at a salon, the hair stylist said that hair dye was good for the hair and that it gave it "nutrition" and would make it very thick. O_O depends what kind of dye, but the kind she was using definitely wasn't good for hair! It smelled like toxic junk and for a week it had the faint smell of toxins. Yucky. :(

I laughed at the dog flea shampoo comment hehe... and I'm in school. oops i shouldn't be reading LHC at school... and second not laughing there either hahaha :) *addicted*

Becky Safari
January 28th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Once I was among a group of women, and one had just received a brazilian straightening treatment. Everyone was commenting on how much better it looked when all I saw was damaged hair beaten into submission, maybe it's just me..

Loreley
January 28th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I've heard that when your hair is wet it grows faster so you just have to keep it wet all the time.
It's not a plant... :rolleyes:

woodlandnymph
January 28th, 2011, 01:53 PM
In first grade I remember hearing our teacher tell one of my classmates who always had a lock of her hair in her mouth that if she swallows a hair, then it would turn into a worm in her stomach. :rolleyes:

Now that's just the wrong way to attempt to stop a bad habit.

perkidanman
January 28th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Well there's always the classic, "if you pull out one grey hair two more will grow back in its place."

Bonkers57
January 28th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Well, at least the dog shampoo girl didn't have fleas! :laugh: The weirdest thing I ever heard was that if you cut bangs, the rest of your hair won't grow! :crazyq: That it somehow 'senses' your hair has been cut elsewhere...

CarpeDM
January 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I've heard that when your hair is wet it grows faster so you just have to keep it wet all the time.

Hee hee this made me giggle...

Wanderer09
January 28th, 2011, 04:05 PM
My grandma told me something similar to the "Long hair will drain your energy" thing when I was little. Basically, she said I was too skinny to have long hair, and that I needed to gain extra weight to feed it as it grew. Because at that age, the only person with knee-length hair I had seen was on the heavy side, I believed it. :p

IcarusBride
January 28th, 2011, 07:51 PM
A friend of a friend told me that caucasians can never grow our hair past BSL, and that the only people who can are Asians, because they have mutated genes for hair growth.
Seriously? IDK what was wrong with this guy...

christine1989
January 28th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I had a friend who firmly believed that playing classical music to her hair would get it to grow. Who knows though- some plants grow better in response to music. :shrug:

Inane Romance
January 28th, 2011, 08:54 PM
That if a girl shaves her head, it won't grow back. <---This charming little bit of insanity spouted from my mother when I buzzed my hair off. /: Like girl hair is different from boy hair? What?

owlathena
January 28th, 2011, 09:04 PM

I've also head this. It was an explanation of why hair grows faster in the summer: because people wet their scalp more often from going swimming. I don't see how that would help...

in_technicolor
January 28th, 2011, 09:22 PM
These are hilarious. I've heard the "trimming makes hair grow faster" a hundred times, from my mom to my friends to professional hairstylists...I suppose that's what keeps them in business?

PiroskaCicu
January 28th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Coincidentally, I was combing my mom's hair today and she said that "too long hair " will drain all the nutrients out of you?? I immediately thought of this thread. :P Where does this idea come from?

vnv
January 28th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Don't forget the ageold, foolproof way to get curly hair... eat your crusts!! :p

nellreno
January 28th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Don't forget the ageold, foolproof way to get curly hair... eat your crusts!! :p

I ate all my bread crust for years hoping my hair would turn curly. *sobs* I was such a disappointed kid.

Barniie
January 28th, 2011, 11:53 PM
My friend is sure that shorter hair grows faster - ie. your layers and fringe will just grow faster than the rest of your hair, and if you leave them, and they will 'match' the length eventually. :S

Johanna
January 29th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Your hair will go mouldy if you put it up while it's wet.
I've put my hair up wet since I was old enough to do my own hair and it's grown mouldy only never.

Speckla
January 29th, 2011, 12:29 AM
I had a friend who firmly believed that playing classical music to her hair would get it to grow. Who knows though- some plants grow better in response to music. :shrug:

Yes, and trimming while listening will make your hair grow bach faster. :eyebrows:

leoninnu
January 29th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Yes, and trimming while listening will make your hair grow bach faster. :eyebrows:

...good thing I wasn't drinking anything while reading this! :rollin:

miss_purple
January 29th, 2011, 01:02 AM
These are hilarious. I've heard the "trimming makes hair grow faster" a hundred times, from my mom to my friends to professional hairstylists...I suppose that's what keeps them in business?

Very good point! :D

Aveyronnaise
January 29th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Your hair will go mouldy if you put it up while it's wet.
I've put my hair up wet since I was old enough to do my own hair and it's grown mouldy only never.
I lived in Portland Oregon one year for work and indeed my hair got moldy smelling a few times ! It was super gross.

irishlady
January 29th, 2011, 02:31 AM
That hair grows from the tip. That's just lame.

Purdy Bear
January 29th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Theres the religious one, that cutting your hair would make you weak (as in Samson). I believe that one for years and was totally devastated when my mum cut my hair.

I guess it comes from hair being healthy thing.

Apologies to the Christians among us.

Johanna
January 29th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I lived in Portland Oregon one year for work and indeed my hair got moldy smelling a few times ! It was super gross.

I hope it was easy to get the smell out.
I lived in a really hot climate when people were telling me this all the time. If my hair goes mouldy on a day where it's hot enough to cook an egg on a rock, well we're all in trouble.

Clarisse
January 29th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Lots of these myths really cracked me up! I once told a friend of mine that, when I was a little girl, my father cut his very long (about tailbone length) braid off and kept it in a drawer, and sometimes i took it down with me on the floor and played with it. And she was all ”Gross, didn’t the braid get rotten?” and I said ”No, just hair, nothing else in that braid. Just dry hair, it doesn’t rot”
- ”But there is blood in it” - ”No, then it would bleed when you cut it and you would litterally kill your hair for good if you ever used a straightener - and it would blush and get red during exercise” - ”But the blood vessels are so tiny, that doesn’t happen”
Erh, yeah, right. I told her that hair consists of dead protein and some minerals, and she said that a professional hair dresser once told her that there where blood vessels in her hair, and that I was no hair dresser and therefore didn’t know it as well. WTF? So I can’t know a single thing about skin and scalp biology because a hair dresser told you something different? Man, I actually got really mad with her, even though I should probably just have ignored her...

Shay0969
January 29th, 2011, 04:12 PM

Well, I REALLY would like my hair to be a little thicker....I wonder if I can arrange all my trims to be made under the full moon;) or alternate for both longer and thicker hair:D

In2wishin
January 29th, 2011, 04:20 PM
One myth I heard was that to get dreadlocks you must never wash your hair.

Venefica
January 29th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I've heard several times before that if you don't cut your hair it will grow on indefinately. That one always annoys me. Do people actually think that?I believed that until I tried to figure out what classical hair length meant and found out that that is a common max limit. I do not think this is a strange myth, after all if you have never tried to grow your hair very long you will not meet a point where it stops growing.

I've also heard that in the bible it says that a woman's long hair is her glory, but long hair on a man is a shame. How hilarious. I wonder who comes up with these! Well the idea in the Bible is that long hair on a woman is a natural veil, and a sign of her submission to men. But then there are also Bible stories where long hair on men are seen as favorable, like with Samson.

I've also heard that cutting your hair under a new moon willl make it grow faster, and that cutting under the full moon will make it grow thicker. But that's actually cool! I want to try it, even if it is just a silly myth, haha!This works on the same idea as to why many farmers to this day seed during the new Moon. It is believed that the growing Moon attracts and the waving moon banishes, so the idea is that if you cut your hair during a growing Moon it will grow faster is the same idea that a field seeded on a growing Moon will grow faster. Allot of people including most Pagans do not see this a silly myth.

I have also heard that trimming the hair will make it grow faster, but I always assumed that what was meant with it was that if you make sure to catch split ends before it get to bad then the splits will not travel upwards and further damage the hair and less will break off and therefore it will seam to grow faster.

that long hair DRAINS the life out of you and thats why im sleepy all the time. I have never heard this one before.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7479/stargateatlantis65.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/i/stargateatlantis65.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

spidermom
January 29th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Hair is dead.

Anything that has a root and grows is not dead. Shed hair is dead, not the stuff growing out of my scalp. (o.k. - yeh, it's dead in the sense that it has no nerves and cannot repair itself; otherwise alive and growing, thriving even)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, and I don't care how many millions of people disagree.

xoxophelia
January 29th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Oopsy wrong thread! please ignore -_-

(From the polls I have been able to find so far covering Asian populations, the rate of curly and wavy hair is between 10-20&#37; which means we can guess that about 80% of over half of the world's population has straight hair (http://www.sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=16165). The black population which is just slightly smaller than caucasian is very unlikely to have 1 or 2 where as quiet a few caucasians fall between 1a-1c. For this reason, I would guess the most common is hair in the 1 category.

Even though this is rough it seems like a pretty strong wash out for the 1's.)

firefly42
January 29th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I think the one about the Bible saying that long hair on a man is a shame is a cultural thing; there are a lot of those in there...

On topic, someone once told me that if i dyed my hair once a month (chemical dye) it would be healthier. I was like...yeah, because ammonia and peroxide are great for hair...lol.

ritza
January 29th, 2011, 07:54 PM
My Great Grandmother use to say 2 people doing some-ones hair at the same time/The youngest one would die :confused:! My sisters,cousins & myself would just give her a blank look...The worst part is she would make us stop doing that persons hair...:rolleyes:

*Glad it was just a myth because as soon as she left the room we would continue :eyebrows:....

Happy Hair Growing!

DeaBellona
January 30th, 2011, 01:19 PM
If it says in the Bible that long hair on men is a shame, why do all depictions of Jesus have him with long hair? I agree with firefly42- probably is a cultural thing.

Tennessee Rose
February 2nd, 2011, 07:37 PM

Actually, last April I tried cutting my hair by the moon (as advised by a magazine LOL) to make it grow faster... and I don't know if it's coincidence or not, as SOON as I had that cut I started shedding...and for the next three months I shed like CRAZY and ended up with waaaaay less hair than before!

I am staying way away from those ideas now!!!

(Okay, it's probably pure coincidence... but... it certainly didn't help my hair growth!!)

The other stupid hair myth is that trimming makes your hair grow faster... I always thought that was stupid (as if your roots know that you've cut a cm off the ends anyway...).

I trimmed my hair in full moon. And contrary to what happened to you it worked. I haven't measured yet but it has grown quite faster than other times.

I don't think it is a myth at all. Moon phases are very important in agriculture since they influence the growth of plants, as well as it is important for tides or fishermen.

During the ancient times, when there was no artificial light, women had their period during new moon and they had the ovulatory phase during full moon. During half of the year my "monsteration" follows this cicle.

And I guess moon influences my energy as well. Since when there's full moon I feel more active.

That's why I say it is not a myth at all. Moon plays a magnetism on earth and magnetism attracts things. Metals, fishes, plants, tides...hair. Hahaha.

Cirafly24
February 2nd, 2011, 08:42 PM
I trimmed my hair in full moon. And contrary to what happened to you it worked. I haven't measured yet but it has grown quite faster than other times.

I don't think it is a myth at all. Moon phases are very important in agriculture since they influence the growth of plants, as well as it is important for tides or fishermen.

During the ancient times, when there was no artificial light, women had their period during new moon and they had the ovulatory phase during full moon. During half of the year my "monsteration" follows this cicle.

And I guess moon influences my energy as well. Since when there's full moon I feel more active.

That's why I say it is not a myth at all. Moon plays a magnetism on earth and magnetism attracts things. Metals, fishes, plants, tides...hair. Hahaha.

That's very interesting!

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
I have also heard that trimming the hair will make it grow faster, but I always assumed that what was meant with it was that if you make sure to catch split ends before it get to bad then the splits will not travel upwards and further damage the hair and less will break off and therefore it will seam to grow faster.

I agree with this.

And I think it's quite logical : at least for most people who use standard products (gel, spray, harsh shampoos, etc.) and methods (blowdrying, irons, etc.) that are massively marketed today, keeping up with frequent trimming does make a difference and enables hair to (slowly, but faster than usual) get longer.

I doesn't make hair grow faster at the roots, but it can help hair grow longer (by reducing some of the damage)

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 08:56 PM

the mysterious part to this - for me - is not so much the "moon" aspect of it, but rather how the hair tips (where the trimming occurs) would give information to the hair follicles (where the growing happens) !!

Barniie
February 2nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
ooh, another. I read somewhere that if you have oily hair you should chemically dye it to 'dry it out'. Then I would have greasy, damaged hair... o.O

MissManda
February 3rd, 2011, 12:09 AM
ooh, another. I read somewhere that if you have oily hair you should chemically dye it to 'dry it out'. Then I would have greasy, damaged hair... o.O

I've heard something similar to this, although the person in question didn't name any specific chemical process.

PF Graham
February 3rd, 2011, 12:26 AM
Man, that's like a conversation you'd hear in a weird dream. Baby oil? Dog flea shampoo? Three inches a year? Ooookaaaay....

I don't have such an original weird hair myth as that, but these have always seemed odd to me:
- Horse "Mane & Tail" shampoo fad
- the idea that trimming makes hair grow faster
- hair vitamin product reviews where people report a big difference in their hair after taking the vitamins for a few days (I've really seen these on Amazon)

Wait - what? Mane & Tail sucks?!?

Prytell (please).

- P

Panth
February 3rd, 2011, 04:09 AM

*curious*

Do you have any sources for this? I've heard the idea that women's cycles match the moon cycles several times before but never seen any actual sources for it.
Also, what do you mean by 'moon plays a magnetism on earth'?

chicken
February 3rd, 2011, 05:16 AM
Besides of the "hair grows faster if you cut it" it was "do you have reflux during pregnancy, your baby has lots of hair. If you don't have reflux, it has no hair"
I had no reflux during my pregnancy - our baby was born with a full head of dark brown, almost black hair.

Tennessee Rose
February 3rd, 2011, 05:49 AM
Also, what do you mean by 'moon plays a magnetism on earth'?

Yes, I do have sources. The one about women's period was taken from a college work of a friend of mine who study's anthropology. She has taken this from a book so I guess I could ask her which book did she found that, it must be in Spanish.

About the magnetism of moon. Explained in a simple non complex way. It is something I've studied over the years and appears in all the book talking about the moon. Moon has an external magnetic field but not as stronger as the two on the earth so when moon is fuller this magnetic field is more likeable to influence on earth whereas when it is not (since rotation makes it not "look at the earth" by that side it does not play so much influence. I can link many sourcess:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon#Gravity_and_magnetic_fields

http://www.springerlink.com/content/l61811t075637160/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=explaining-the-moons-anci

http://www.windows2universe.org/earth/moon/lunar_crustal_magnetism.html

By the way tides take place when the Magnetic and gravitational fields of a planet, star or galaxy allow soft magnetic dynamic central fields like the one created in the centre of the earth compared to its surface fields. This means that tides are not exclusively due to the magnetism of the moon, but it plays a great part of it. In fact...all planets have tides, maybe not the ones on the sea but dust tides.

Nastasia
February 3rd, 2011, 12:51 PM
Uh, the only difference between a full moon and a crescent moon is the degree to which it is illuminated by the sun. It's not closer or further away, and its gravity and magnetic field are exactly the same. It's just the way the orbits of the earth and moon line up. The full moon has no more effect on the earth than a new moon.

Tides actually have absolutely nothing to do with the moon's magnetic field. They're created by the moon's gravity pulling at the earth.

Tennessee Rose
February 4th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Uh, the only difference between a full moon and a crescent moon is the degree to which it is illuminated by the sun. It's not closer or further away, and its gravity and magnetic field are exactly the same. It's just the way the orbits of the earth and moon line up. The full moon has no more effect on the earth than a new moon.

Tides actually have absolutely nothing to do with the moon's magnetic field. They're created by the moon's gravity pulling at the earth.

I'm not talking about how close it is. I'm talking about earth's rotation. By the way tides have something to do with moon magnetism since its gravity is the same as you said. It is not exclusively due to that, AS I SAID. I explained it in a simple way since I don't expect everybody to understand about teslas and nanoteslas and that's why I put all those links, for further reading.

About the hair thing. Well I told I don't thing it is a myth AT ALL. It may have some influence since I have done that during different seasons and months and it has worked for me taking my own verfications.

There is not so much arguing about that. If someone wants to try it go on. If not leave it. I just try to justify why I think it worked for me.

In fact I don't believe much in the human being. Since even science "can" prove things that maybe later are discovered to be wrong. So i don't ask people to believe in what I say, just see a different point of view.

WaitingSoLong
February 4th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I love the moon discussion. I can verify the menstrual cycle thing by experience. Don't really want to post details here but I can if you PM me.

I always wondered about the full moon thin since it is just how much light is reflecting and the fullness of the moon is not related to its gravity force.

Aleria
February 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM
When I was a teen (13-14ish) I thought that if you dyed your hair, when it grew out it would be that 'dishwater colour' so I never dyed it. Most of the girls would have light blonde hair, dye it dark, and then when it grew out it'd be ashy... of course now I realize that was probably just their hair changing as they got older XD

rose.grace
February 4th, 2011, 02:08 PM
My mother told me that if you cut curly hair it will grow back straight forever. So, she cut all my curls off and never let me have long hair after that. Now I know why.:rolleyes:

cuddledumplin
February 4th, 2011, 06:42 PM
That sucking on the ends of your hair will give you worms. Um, how would I get worm eggs in my hair?

Maddy_T
February 4th, 2011, 07:13 PM
The more you brush your hair the faster it grows!!! one of my friends believes this and brushes excessively and wonders why she has such thin hair!!!!

mizk5110
February 4th, 2011, 08:30 PM
definitely have heard "the more you cut, the faster it grows", and about cutting by the cycles of the moon.

I don't know if it's fact or myth, but there was once a heat styler advertised on TV that claimed that if you used it for curling frequently, it would change your hair follicle so it would grow curly, and if you used it for straightening frequently, it would do the same. ??

Uh, the only difference between a full moon and a crescent moon is the degree to which it is illuminated by the sun. [...] The full moon has no more effect on the earth than a new moon.

---I must respectfully disagree. If that's true, then my patients with dementia and serious mental conditions wouldn't act out so much worse during the full moon than any other time of the month... :)

freecelt
February 4th, 2011, 08:37 PM
"do you have reflux during pregnancy, your baby has lots of hair. If you don't have reflux, it has no hair"
I've yet to find someone who had heart burn during pregnancy who's baby didn't have hair. I haven't heard that you have to have heart burn for baby to have hair- that doesn't just doesn't work:poot:.

roxylake
February 4th, 2011, 09:07 PM
These are all pretty funny.

nellreno
February 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I don't know if it's fact or myth, but there was once a heat styler advertised on TV that claimed that if you used it for curling frequently, it would change your hair follicle so it would grow curly, and if you used it for straightening frequently, it would do the same. ??

But .... huh? Do they want the customers to straighten/curl their follicles? This does not compute >.<

Yamainu
February 4th, 2011, 10:20 PM
When I was a teen (13-14ish) I thought that if you dyed your hair, when it grew out it would be that 'dishwater colour' so I never dyed it. Most of the girls would have light blonde hair, dye it dark, and then when it grew out it'd be ashy... of course now I realize that was probably just their hair changing as they got older XD

Logically, this makes sense, but I'm traumatized by my experience of using 'temporary' red dye on my white blonde hair... it's been dishwater ever since.

The menstrual cycle thing is pretty simple: ovulation can be triggered by light. Full moons have more light. It doesn't really work in the city, but a lot of women with irregular cycles can regulate them by putting up blackout curtains and then sleeping with a night light for a few days.

It was only really with the discovery of Seasonal Affective Disorder that we started to realize the innumerable ways how much/what kind/ what time of day we experience light affects us.

Though I don't see how cutting hair at different moon phases would do anything... it's not like your roots know what's going on at your ends... I'd me more likely to believe a general "it grows more during "x" phase than others".

[QUOTE=DeaBellona;1456052]If it says in the Bible that long hair on men is a shame, why do all depictions of Jesus have him with long hair? I agree with firefly42- probably is a cultural thing.

The quoted Bible passage is the Apostle Paul speaking to a congregation of Greek converts. Greece did indeed at the time have a strong cultural aversion to long hair on men. They also had problems letting women in churches, one of the reasons Greek Christians adopted the practice of having their women wear veils and be silent during Church, as a way of pacifying their neighbors. This is also the time and place when circumcision began to no longer be required of non Jewish converts.

Another point to consider is that Samson was a member of a specific religious group (the Nazarites, of which John the Baptist was also a member), of whom long hair was a symbol of a special covenant between themselves and God - it was a deliberate way of setting themselves apart from society.

As for Christ himself, what constitutes as "long" changes all the time. One hundred fifty years ago, a woman with SBL hair would be considered to have hair on the shorter side, where as now that's considered quite long by most people. Two thousand years ago in Jerusalem, it wasn't unusual for a man to have hair up to shoulder length - but waist length would have been out of the ordinary.

So, yes, its very much a cultural thing. :D

Alas, the only thing I get told is that cutting my hair will make it grow faster. Apparently I need to meet more weirdoes. ;D

Nastasia
February 4th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I'm not talking about how close it is. I'm talking about earth's rotation. By the way tides have something to do with moon magnetism since its gravity is the same as you said. It is not exclusively due to that, AS I SAID. I explained it in a simple way since I don't expect everybody to understand about teslas and nanoteslas and that's why I put all those links, for further reading.

About the hair thing. Well I told I don't thing it is a myth AT ALL. It may have some influence since I have done that during different seasons and months and it has worked for me taking my own verfications.

There is not so much arguing about that. If someone wants to try it go on. If not leave it. I just try to justify why I think it worked for me.

In fact I don't believe much in the human being. Since even science "can" prove things that maybe later are discovered to be wrong. So i don't ask people to believe in what I say, just see a different point of view.

You can certainly believe what you like, and I won't try to stop you. But bad physics really, really bothers me. I was an astronomy major, you see, and it's a hangup of mine. Here's the Wikipedia article on how tides work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide

Not one word about the moon's magnetic field.

Dragon
February 5th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I have herd that if you wear glasses, you shouldn’t have a fringe.

rose.grace
February 5th, 2011, 09:08 AM
The quoted Bible passage is the Apostle Paul speaking to a congregation of Greek converts. Greece did indeed at the time have a strong cultural aversion to long hair on men. They also had problems letting women in churches, one of the reasons Greek Christians adopted the practice of having their women wear veils and be silent during Church, as a way of pacifying their neighbors. This is also the time and place when circumcision began to no longer be required of non Jewish converts.

Another point to consider is that Samson was a member of a specific religious group (the Nazarites, of which John the Baptist was also a member), of whom long hair was a symbol of a special covenant between themselves and God - it was a deliberate way of setting themselves apart from society.

As for Christ himself, what constitutes as "long" changes all the time. One hundred fifty years ago, a woman with SBL hair would be considered to have hair on the shorter side, where as now that's considered quite long by most people. Two thousand years ago in Jerusalem, it wasn't unusual for a man to have hair up to shoulder length - but waist length would have been out of the ordinary.

So, yes, its very much a cultural thing. :D
I'm so glad somebody said this. Thank you :) the definition of the word "long" has always been subjective.

Henrietta
February 5th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Cutting damaged ends makes your hair grows faster BECAUSE your hair is alive (mhm...) and the scalp knows what's happening at the hemline area.
Yeah.

vanity_acefake
February 5th, 2011, 11:15 AM
My dad always told me that burnt toast would make my hair curly. I am now 38, have poker straight hair but a love for well cooked toast! Needless to say my dad always served burnt toast.
I have also read that long hair makes you more "sensitive" to the emotions of other people. I cannot see how this is possibly true.
And to the influence of the moon. I don't know for hair but I definately plant during a waxing moon for optimum growth. I may time my next trim during the waxing moon as an experiment.
:)

Panth
February 12th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Yes, I do have sources. The one about women's period was taken from a college work of a friend of mine who study's anthropology. She has taken this from a book so I guess I could ask her which book did she found that, it must be in Spanish.

About the magnetism of moon. Explained in a simple non complex way. It is something I've studied over the years and appears in all the book talking about the moon. Moon has an external magnetic field but not as stronger as the two on the earth so when moon is fuller this magnetic field is more likeable to influence on earth whereas when it is not (since rotation makes it not "look at the earth" by that side it does not play so much influence. I can link many sourcess:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon#Gravity_and_magnetic_fields

http://www.springerlink.com/content/l61811t075637160/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=explaining-the-moons-anci

http://www.windows2universe.org/earth/moon/lunar_crustal_magnetism.html

By the way tides take place when the Magnetic and gravitational fields of a planet, star or galaxy allow soft magnetic dynamic central fields like the one created in the centre of the earth compared to its surface fields. This means that tides are not exclusively due to the magnetism of the moon, but it plays a great part of it. In fact...all planets have tides, maybe not the ones on the sea but dust tides.

Sorry to come back to this discussion so late - I've been away without internet for a while.

Terribly sorry, but your "evidence" is nothing of the sort.
- The first link (wiki) merely states that the moon has a magnetic field.
- The second link, judging from the abstract since I don't have time to read the entire thing, is describing a theory for how this magnetic field may have come about: the "tidal effects" it mentions are referring to movements within a theoretical liquid core of the moon not the (sea) tides on Earth.
- The third link describes a computer model that was used to attempt to explain the presence of magnetised moon rocks
- The fourth link describes that the moon's surface is magnetic, despite the moon not appearing to have a magnetosphere (a magnetic field surrounding it).

None of the links you provide say anything about the moon having a magnetic field (except the last one, which says that current evidence supports the absence of a lunar magnetic field though further research is needed). They say it has magnetism on its surface, which is theorised to have arisen from a lunar magnetic field existing historically, which may or may not have been driven by "tides" within the moon (if, as they theorise, this was liquid).
Thus, your statement "the moon has an external magnetic field" is not supported by your evidence.

Equally, I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of that statement: "...but not as stronger as the two on earth..." Earth does not have two magnetic fields. Its magnetic field is, however approximately a magnetic dipole.

I'm not sure what you mean by "...so when the moon is fuller..." Fuller, as in full moon vs. new moon? If so, as has already been said to you, the moon's phases are determined by its degree of illumination.

Also, I don't see why fullness of the moon (if, indeed you mean moon phases) would have an impact on its magnetic field ... which doesn't exist anyway. Unless, by "...(since rotation makes it not "look at the earth" by that side it does not play so much influence" you mean the moon's magnetic field (which your sources actually say does not exist) is stronger on one side of the moon than the other...

I presume you mean that, seeing as you insist when talking to Nastasia that you are talking about the moon's rotation, not the moon's phases. In which case, please take a look at this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_side_of_the_Moon. The side of the moon that faces Earth is always the same (the 'near side') due to the time the moon takes to rotate once upon its axis the same as the time the moon takes to orbit the Earth once. So, the rotation of the moon cannot present different parts of its (non-existant) magnetic field to the Earth.

Given that, I fail to see how the moon and magnetism can have any influence on tides or anything else on Earth ... or in fact elsewhere in the universe as the moon does not have a magnetic field.

*curious* Do you have any other sources to back up your statements?

I honestly am not attempting to attack you in any way. But, I am attacking your statements and your references for those statements. Scientific misunderstanding is not something that needs to be propagated.
...and anyway, I really really do not want to work on my essay. *gah* I really, really don't. So, honestly, thank you for giving me a nice lot of reading to do that is nothing to do with epigenetics and aging. :P

kdaniels8811
February 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Hi, everyone. The weirdest thing I read - recently on this forum! is wearing a wig prevents your hair from growing. Um, not so. My hair is growing really fast, over teh prescribed 1/2" per month and I wear a wig all day every day. Wonder if the person who said that ever heard of protective styles like wearing your hair up (cannot wait!) and wearing a scarf at night to prevent damage. Great thread!

Milo
February 12th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I've yet to find someone who had heart burn during pregnancy who's baby didn't have hair. I haven't heard that you have to have heart burn for baby to have hair- that doesn't just doesn't work:poot:.
I had the WORST heartburn during pregnancy and my kids were both bald... until their first birthdays!

trillian
February 12th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I had a hairdresser swear that if you slept on your side, the blood would pool on that side of your head as you slept, and your hair on that side would grow faster. I didn't bother trying to explain the circulatory system to her.

ScarlettAdelle
February 12th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Mine's actually from my grandmother:

"Men who have long hair want to be women"

From being in the metal community, and dating men with long hair almost exclusively, I know this not to be true.

Love my grandma to bits but she says some pretty crazy things sometimes XD

bumblebums
February 12th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Iv heard of one Iv never tried which was putting raw egg on your hair and then having a hot shower. I always thought it would end up like scrambled eggs so never tried it.

The hottest water that comes out of my tap is 120 F (48.9 C). The coagulation temperature of egg yolk, which is what one normally uses on hair, is 150 F (65-70 C). I can barely stand 120 F on my hands, let alone on my body. I usually shower in water that's close to body temperature. It is nowhere near hot enough to cook an egg in your hair.:blossom:

So do not fear--<a href="http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40386">egg shampoo</a> is an old and well-tested traditional method of hair care, and it is not a myth.

arwenevenstar37
February 12th, 2011, 05:31 PM
if you trim your ends regulatly your hair will be able to breathe and therefore grow longer....

wildblue
February 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Oh man, that has got to be so toxic!

wildblue
February 12th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Sorry, I messed up the quoting part. I was referring to the original post, about washing twice a day with flea & tick shampoo. Pesticides! :O

Lianna
February 12th, 2011, 07:53 PM
"To have beautiful long hair you must be gentle with it, if isn't virgin, probably isn't in a good state"

"Beautiful long hair is a lot of care"

Where I live, most people just shampoo and condition, sometimes deep condition...and most have beautiful long hair, is that a lot of care? (I'm talking average long, about waist)

ibleedlipstick
February 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM
So, honestly, thank you for giving me a nice lot of reading to do that is nothing to do with epigenetics and aging. :P

Off topic, I know.

I'm avoiding the same thing! I have a paper on it that is due in three hours, so I know that I should get to it, but it is not appealing at all right now :rolleyes:

Aurantia
February 13th, 2011, 04:45 AM

:bigeyes:

I've lived in a very humid, very rainy region for almost a decade and I damp bun constantly. Usually overnight and sometimes for days. My hair always comes out smelling nicer than when I first put it up (softer too)!

Whatever was going on with your hair at the time certainly wasn't the climate.

ETA: When I first posted I mistyped "wet bum" instead of "wet bun"! My, the moisture in this city just clings to everything! :rollin:

julliams
February 13th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Coincidentally, I was combing my mom's hair today and she said that "too long hair " will drain all the nutrients out of you?? I immediately thought of this thread. :P Where does this idea come from?
I'm going to guess that it's an analogy from plants. You know how some plants require pruning in order to flower or produce fruit. The idea is that the plant uses too much of it's energy trying to keep all the foliage healthy so it can't produce flowers/fruit. What do you think?

SwordWomanRiona
February 13th, 2011, 05:35 AM

im not sleepy all the time.

Neither am I! That's so stupid, lol :rolling:

I had a hairdresser swear that if you slept on your side, the blood would pool on that side of your head as you slept, and your hair on that side would grow faster. I didn't bother trying to explain the circulatory system to her.

My hemline's a bit uneven at the moment, but I don't really think it's because of that! :lol:

"But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for [her] hair is given her for a covering. Does not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame to him?" I Corinthians 11:14-15

I think this is enough to show my feelings on the matter:
:rant: