PDA

View Full Version : anyone with waist or longer have grown out layers?

mizsunshyne
January 27th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I have layers framing my face and one layer in the back. The bottom layer is at APL and the top layer is like 2-3 inches above it. My hair looks really thin as a result and I always think of cutting it to my shortest face framing layer (not even at my shoulders yet). I plan on growing them all out and not touching them, but was curious what it will look like.

Does anyone with waist or longer hair have layers you just left alone? Or if you had layers, at what point did you cut to one length?

krissykins
January 27th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I had layers when I first started growing, the longest being at APL.

I posted these pictures somewhere else, but I'm too lazy to find the thread so here they are again:

A few days after starting LHC
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3129/june19f.jpg

This past Monday
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2460/0124111301.jpg

HTH :flower:

xoxophelia
January 27th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I do to an extent. At first, my layers were from above my eye brows to a bit below BSL. I have been growing them out for a very long time and at one point cut my hair to about half way between shoulder and APL to remove the thinnest of the hair. That was the summer before I joined LHC.

This last year, I did four trims of about one inch each and then recently slightly over half an inch. My plan is to slowly trim off the layers.

It might be needed at one point to do a chop to get the length decently thick (say to below your shoulders) but that depends a lot on your specific cut. If you are to the point though where it will grow out looking like a V hemline I think it is pretty easy to just slowly trim off inch by inch.

Some have power grown out their layers here as well. I think you really will have to do what you feel is right for you. There is no shame in a major chop to even things out. I did it.. and while I admit it sucked I am glad that I have less uneveness to deal with now than if I hadn't. But with where I am now, I couldn't stand a major chop (or maybe I am getting to the point where I could :o)

moonlight
January 27th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Sorry, I don't have pics, but my hair is a grown out layered cut. The longest layer is about waist (when wet lol) and looks similar to krissykins pic.

Personally, I prefer this look to blunt ends. I feel like it gives my long waves a more natural look, plus I like the occasional boingy shorter piece that will pop out now and then.

I'm going to try not to trim this year during my journey to TBL, but when I trimmed last year, I bent over at the waist did it, to keep the (albeit uneven) layers.

LaurelSpring
January 27th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I am past waist and still growing out layers. I would not suggest cutting to your shortest layer. It is way too traumatic. Last year I cut the bottom part of my "tail" off and I was so upset with myself and missed it so much. Just continue to microtrim and eventually it will take care of itself. I am just letting mine fairytale now and I love it.

xoxophelia
January 27th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I have pictures in my album and you can see my progress of removing the layers with trims. My hair is slowly starting to look much better.

lora410
January 27th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I have Hip length and grew my layers out since apl. They are all gone now except the ones where I attempted bangs(which look awful on me). That layer is almost armpit. I did have a v hemline for awhile but with trims it evened out. Your ends will look much thinner until your layers grow in so just be patient. I just put my hair up a much as possible even with the layer stickies sticking up :)

rosieex3
January 27th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I haven't trimmed my layers since March 2010 and I'm not ever planning on trimming them.
Here's what they looked like after the trim (heat styled and blow dryed in this):
http://i54.tinypic.com/2vbl7ko.png

Here's my hair now, January 1st 2011:
http://i56.tinypic.com/11r43ds.jpg

The layers are damaged, yes..but they are just gonna have to wait until they are at the bottom of my hemline to get trimmed. :P

Oh and I did get a cut this month, which got rid of some of the layers..
My hair is actually 3 inches longer then it looks in this picture. I just took it out of it's bun here & it was still all scrunched and fluffed up
http://i52.tinypic.com/35au33r.png

scorpio_rising
January 27th, 2011, 01:14 PM
These responses cheered me up! I'm trying to grow out layers and it realllllly bugs me how much thinner my hair is in the layered ends than farther up where there are no layers, but all of your hair looks great! It gives me hope!

UltraBella
January 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM
As someone with layered hair, I am trying to picture what you mean by one layer in the back. How do you only have one layer ? Is it not blended into the rest of your hair ? Any way you can post a pic of the back of your hair ? It might help to see it. I usually have suggestions but I am not sure exactly what you are dealing with.

Rocket22
January 27th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Hang in there I'm assuming at some point that the longer your hair gets the less annoying those pesky layers will be I too think of how much thicker my hair would be to cut, but I want the length, and really does anyone else even notice the layer?

skyblue
January 27th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I'm growing out layers, I understand what you mean about the thin hem line, mine is so thin you can hardly see it, but it is getting better I figure if I keep it here at TB and do tiny little trims once a month the rest will eventually catch up
Just try and ignore the bottom and enjoy the rest ;)

kmoc123
January 27th, 2011, 03:13 PM
My hair is mid-hiney...just let yours grow...stay away from scissors! Except for teeny trimming you do yourself! Be patient and take good care of your hair...

tinti
January 27th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Hey! I know what you mean, last May I cut layers, the shortest ones were above cheek bone, and the longest ones were a bit above BSL I think. Here's a pic that I took in the end of June, the layers may be difficult to see because it's only a cell phone pic.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=84510&albumid=6233&dl=1285806309&thumb=1

Here's a pic that I took January 4th, shortest layers closing in on shoulder lenght, longest is waist :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6233&pictureid=92308

I plan to trim it off, piece by piece, but I'm having a one year without trims challange, so it has to be after May.

lapushka
January 27th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I'm at WL now, and I have a few layers left in my hair. The most that's been done is very light trimming (half an inch to an inch each time), and so my layers are gradually catching up as I grow. It's just because evening out the layers in one go will often leave you with very short hair.

Cirafly24
January 27th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I started out in March 2009 with choppy layers, the longest of which were at BSL, the shortest were just above shoulder. I am now closing in on TBL, and my shortest layer is around waist (not counting front pieces that were bangs, which are at about APL).

I don't even notice my layers anymore....they don't give me any trouble in updos, and they don't really make my hair look thinner.

AZDesertRose
January 27th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I'm at waist and planning to stay here until my layers and bangs/fringe grow out. I find waist to be a fairly comfortable length although I really like my hair around classic length (it used to be and then I cut it--wish I hadn't). What I'm doing is trimming my hair about every couple of months, since I'm maintaining length at or about waist. I use Feye's self-trim method to trim.

mtstorm
January 27th, 2011, 08:26 PM
When I started growing out I had layers, a double hem, and a V cut. 1.5 years later it looks the same just longer. :p I wouldn't cut your hair so all the layers are the same, but blunt hems are not to my taste either. If you want to see pics they are in my album.

Mesmerise
January 27th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I think it can depend on the thickness of the layers... if the top layers are a lot thicker than the under layer it can look quite stringy.

A couple of years back a hairdresser cut the stupidest layers in my hair... she had one sort of chin length layer that was thick, and then a couple more layers lower down... I remember the length (which was really quite thin by this time) started looking really stringy, so I chopped it up to the nearest layer, and then it wasn't too bad (but it took a good 3").

It's hard to judge without being able to see it... but I sometimes think we are our own harshest judges... I worry all the time about how thin my hair is looking since shedding, but for all I know other people just don't notice (or care!).

You can start by trimming an inch or two off ends and see how you feel. If you feel ANY regrets at doing that, then just be paitient and wait! Eventually you will get to a length you're happy to stay at for awhile (like waist) and you can gradually cut out your layers then.

Lykaios
January 27th, 2011, 09:23 PM
It's hard to keep patience with the layer thing. I made the mistake of layering my hair close to two years ago and I'm still dealing. The longest parts are now at tailbone, which is exciting, and if I compare "then and now" There's been several inches of growth. I don't plan on cutting my hair to one length, until classic, where I'll maintain for a while.

Good luck!