PDA

View Full Version : The Fairytale Braid

rose.grace
January 27th, 2011, 07:44 AM
We have lots of braids here at LHC, and a thread about Fairytale ends, but I haven't seen or heard anyone mention or post pics of the Fairytale (or Waterfall) Braid. That doesn't mean no ones ever mentioned it, it just means I haven't seen it mentioned or any pics posted of it. So I thought I'd start this thread and ask if anyone has worn their hair like this lately.

I don't have an account at a photo hosting place to put pics in posts but here are a couple of how-to videos. I think it would look lovely in any type of hair. I've done mine and my daughter's hair like this and I fully intend to wear it a lot when the sides get past my shoulders. Very pretty! Enjoy!

Fairytale Braid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hglR75gYM84&feature=related)

Waterfall Braid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkUo6JQud_o)

I had to remove my albums so am updating this with links to the pictures I've found:

One (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yLOm9gZ7zWc/THQvPK0xc_I/AAAAAAAACvI/mNuHWgx_bmQ/s1600/IMG_8287_edited-1.jpg)

Two (http://i.ytimg.com/vi/hglR75gYM84/hqdefault.jpg)

Three (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yLOm9gZ7zWc/THV9puR4FvI/AAAAAAAACww/4Ipl56MhSlM/s400/IMG_8307_edited-1.jpg)

I have no idea how they did that last one... but I like it!

Sundial
January 27th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I've seen those videos and I've used this a fair bit when in wear my hair down :D I've tried it on my sister too and she loves it

Mirsha
January 27th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I've worn my hair like this many times since I semi mastered it. I just can't get the braid to not sag :shrug:

It also gives me extra volume if I take it out, so I've used it as a prep for a night out.

rose.grace
January 27th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I've seen those videos and I've used this a fair bit when in wear my hair down :D I've tried it on my sister too and she loves it

I've worn my hair like this many times since I semi mastered it. I just can't get the braid to not sag :shrug:

It also gives me extra volume if I take it out, so I've used it as a prep for a night out.

Cool! Here's (http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=-VtZ2ps-yrg&feature=related) another video. I saw a really good one about doing it yourself last summer but I can't find it now. Instead of putting the hair in her mouth, like this woman does, the other girl used clips.

I could do it last summer but I forgot how. Just now reading the fairytale ends thread I remembered this braid. I like it best when it's just braided to the back and clipped with two butterfly clips instead of going all the way around. That might keep it from sagging, too, Mirsha.

If anyone does their hair like this, I'd love to see pics!

honeyblonde
January 27th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I LOVE these braids!!! Going to wear my hair in a fairytale braid this afternoon!! :cool: If I can master it..lol

MsBubbles
January 27th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Aww, I got the wrong idea from the title (and also because I am a dunce when it comes to updo names). I got all excited thinking this was going to be a thread celebrating people's braid tapers, specifically those who normally feel bad about not having a uniformly thick braid all the way down.

That'd be a good thread to start. I might do it. :)

The fairytale braids do look pretty, so thanks for the links!

rose.grace
January 27th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I LOVE these braids!!! Going to wear my hair in a fairytale braid this afternoon!! :cool: If I can master it..lol It takes awhile to figure out so don't give up. I hope you'll post pics!

Aww, I got the wrong idea from the title (and also because I am a dunce when it comes to updo names). I got all excited thinking this was going to be a thread celebrating people's braid tapers, specifically those who normally feel bad about not having a uniformly thick braid all the way down.

The fairytale braids do look pretty, so thanks for the links!You're welcome :)

BunnyBee
January 27th, 2011, 08:39 AM

That's exactly what I thought too, and YES you should definitely make that thread ;)

Juneii
January 27th, 2011, 08:41 AM
oooh it took me ages to figure that one out. I didn't think to post pictures though, oops :P

rose.grace
January 27th, 2011, 08:49 AM
It is a challenge. But so lovely, it's worth the struggle (and for me it's a struggle, :slap:). It would help to have an industrious and faithful friend to do for you. but if you're diligent you can do it yourself.

Sundial
January 27th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I LOVE these braids!!! Going to wear my hair in a fairytale braid this afternoon!! :cool: If I can master it..lol

Don't worry! The instructions in the waterfall video is really easy to remember :) up, down, up. Practice makes perfect and it's great that the braid can be used on almost any length

I didn't pay attention to the volume thing, perhaps I'll try it again tomorrow and check out if it does the same for me. I just assumed that the sagging issue occurs because hair is too slippery, let me know if you figure out a way to counter it because I experience the same thing too. OP says to secure with butterfly clips but my clips have a tendency to slip out even though I braided it a little to provide the clip with more grip. Usually I finish off the same way that the woman in the waterfall video does it and secure mine with a band

scorpio_rising
January 27th, 2011, 09:04 AM
That is gorgeous! I just tried it on myself and got a little ways into it before I messed it up :laugh: which is kind of a miracle for me because I'm all thumbs when it comes to braiding. I can barely pull of a regular old braid, and they're usually hella messy at that. This gives me hope that I can actually master all manner of cool braids. Yay! I :heartbeat: braids!

Rennire
January 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I love this braid too! I've always meant to try it but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe today I will give it a shot!

rose.grace
January 27th, 2011, 09:59 AM
OP says to secure with butterfly clips but my clips have a tendency to slip out even though I braided it a little to provide the clip with more grip. Usually I finish off the same way that the woman in the waterfall video does it and secure mine with a bandMine look like this (http://www.tootsco.com/images/447e.jpg)but are marcasite and about an inch or less long. They stay pretty tight. I just end the braid at the back and clip the braid in them right to the scalp and let the tail fall instead of braiding it down the length. Wish I had a camera.

Nessie_
January 27th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I love this braid! Thanks for bringing it up! I'm planning on trying it as soon as possible :).

Mirsha
January 27th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I didn't pay attention to the volume thing, perhaps I'll try it again tomorrow and check out if it does the same for me. I just assumed that the sagging issue occurs because hair is too slippery, let me know if you figure out a way to counter it because I experience the same thing too. OP says to secure with butterfly clips but my clips have a tendency to slip out even though I braided it a little to provide the clip with more grip. Usually I finish off the same way that the woman in the waterfall video does it and secure mine with a band
It might just be where I had it placed, near my side part, almost on top of the head.

adiapalic
January 27th, 2011, 11:48 AM
OoooOoo.... cool braid! I'm gonna have to try this one out...

Gumball
January 27th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I think those braids are very cool, and they can be versatile, too, since you can add them to existing styles. They were actually pretty easy to understand how to do (on someone else I mean). I was confused at first, but then that "click" moment happened and it was just fine after that. :D

rose.grace
January 27th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I think those braids are very cool, and they can be versatile, too, since you can add them to existing styles. They were actually pretty easy to understand how to do (on someone else I mean). I was confused at first, but then that "click" moment happened and it was just fine after that. :DI'm waiting for that moment again. It came last summer... and seems to have been swept away with the autumn leaves. :o

KittyLost
January 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Oh! I want to try this! My hair might be too short though at Shoulder.

CaityBear
January 27th, 2011, 05:58 PM
YES!! I saw this braid a looong time ago but never did it and then a little while ago when I tried doing it, it didn't quite work so I was looking for a tutorial to help me figure out why but I couldn't find any!

I think the whole problem is which way I was crossing the strands over...

But now I can try again!! Yay!! I'm so excited. :)

scorpio_rising
January 27th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Oh! I want to try this! My hair might be too short though at Shoulder.

I don't think it will be - there is one YT video of a woman braiding her own hair in this style and her hair was barely longer than chin length, if that! :cheese:

LornaDoone
January 27th, 2011, 06:08 PM
*snip*
Three (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yLOm9gZ7zWc/THV9puR4FvI/AAAAAAAACww/4Ipl56MhSlM/s400/IMG_8307_edited-1.jpg)

I have no idea how they did that last one... but I like it!

It looks like they did a second fairytale braid just below the first.
They used the sections of hair that 'fell through' the first braid as the added sections in the second braid.

Charlotte:)
January 27th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Ooooh, this is one of my favorite hairstyles! I use Torrin Paige's method (below) because it's easy to do on yourself :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/search/5/-VtZ2ps-yrg

Oz
January 27th, 2011, 06:39 PM
i cant believe it, i actualy managed this! woo!

az_sweetie01
January 27th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Can I just say thank you, for posting those links :flower:? I just spent the last hour watching the Adopt'A'Do Mom do style after style....FUN!!

SheaLynne
January 27th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I tried this on my dd but haven't attempted it on myself yet. It is perfect for her hair!!

See hers here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4802&pictureid=94629

abbatabba1137
January 27th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Hey! I think my hair is finally long enough in the front for it to reach my 'third arm' (aka mouth, thanks torrin).... I'll have to try this in the morning and post pics!

Ps: SheaLynne, your dd has gorgeous hair!

Angeletti
January 27th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I haven't done this braid for a while but I do love it, the only part I have trouble with is figuring out how to braid it all the way around my head instead of just having two sides meet in the middle at the back.

rose.grace
January 28th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Oh! I want to try this! My hair might be too short though at Shoulder.Here's (http://www.cutegirlshairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/SelfWaterfall.jpg) a pic of someone with very short hair doing hers. Mine's at shoulder in the back but the sides are too short right now for it to look good down. By summer I should look half way decent (I have a weird face). Meanwhile, I need to practice.

YES!! I saw this braid a looong time ago but never did it and then a little while ago when I tried doing it, it didn't quite work so I was looking for a tutorial to help me figure out why but I couldn't find any!

I think the whole problem is which way I was crossing the strands over...

But now I can try again!! Yay!! I'm so excited. :) I have the same problem. I keep forgetting which one to leave down. I know you can do it! :cheer:

It looks like they did a second fairytale braid just below the first.
They used the sections of hair that 'fell through' the first braid as the added sections in the second braid. Cool! Someday I'm going to try that one on my dd when I can get her to sit still long enough.

i cant believe it, i actualy managed this! woo! Congrats! I bet it looks gorgeous! :flower:

Can I just say thank you, for posting those links :flower:? I just spent the last hour watching the Adopt'A'Do Mom do style after style....FUN!! You're welcome! I'm glad so many others like it as much as I do. It's so feminine & ethereal.

I haven't done this braid for a while but I do love it, the only part I have trouble with is figuring out how to braid it all the way around my head instead of just having two sides meet in the middle at the back.I found a great video last summer. The girl showed how she did it all the way around and then braided the strand and wound it into a "rose" at her temple. But I can't find that video again. Every once in awhile I clean out my computer and then spend the next 6 months kicking myself for doing it. :shrug:

SheaLynn: Thanks so much for the pic! It looks awesome on your dd! And her hair is beautiful! :thud:

I did post Torren's Vid, too in my second or third post. I don't know if I could put my hair in my mouth like that (my mother's voice in my head), even though my appendix has already been removed. :p The other girl used duck clips to hold hers down. Mine, I just let it fall, which is probably why it looks a little sloppy, lol. I don't have the greatest eye/hand/mirror coordination. In fact I do better if I don't use a mirror. I get all confused. Everything in there's backwards, you know.

brelj
January 28th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Don't know if you mean this girl with the "rose" of hair at her temple, but it isn't a fairytale braid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i31iYkQD9SI&feature=channel
Still very nice though!!

rose.grace
January 28th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Don't know if you mean this girl with the "rose" of hair at her temple, but it isn't a fairytale braid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i31iYkQD9SI&feature=channel
Still very nice though!!No, not at all. Fairytale braid links are at the original post but thanks for looking up the rose part.:)

As it happens... Ta da! :cheese:

I found her! It wasn't at youtube last summer but it is now. Anyway---> This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI8D_3cnS1w&feature=relmfu) <--- is the one I've been talking about all this time. It's the first one I'd ever seen and I still think it's the best one.

Update: Oh no! :-( She cheated. I thought she showed how to do it all the way around but she skipped that part. Ok, I give up (and need to go to memory sharpening classes...) Well, at least I found it.

Arya
January 28th, 2011, 12:04 PM
That third one you put up that you think looks really cool, I think that isn't a fairy tale braid at all. That looks to me like a five stranded version of a windowshade/lace braid. How you'd do that...dunno. I'll give it a shot later today, and see if I can figure it out!

rose.grace
January 28th, 2011, 12:54 PM
That third one you put up that you think looks really cool, I think that isn't a fairy tale braid at all. That looks to me like a five stranded version of a windowshade/lace braid. How you'd do that...dunno. I'll give it a shot later today, and see if I can figure it out!Ah... another new braid to learn about. I've never heard of a windowshade/lace braid. Sounds pretty! That hat pic was "under" the fairytale braid subject in my web search, so I thought why not throw it in, too? lol.

Arya
January 28th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Ah... another new braid to learn about. I've never heard of a windowshade/lace braid. Sounds pretty! That hat pic was "under" the fairytale braid subject in my web search, so I thought why not throw it in, too? lol.

I actually think i have it figured out, although I think It made me kinda cross eyed. I could to a tutorial, but I can't seem to link pictures into the threads here. I'm pretty sure it is a five stranded windowshade/lace braid. I'm not sure if it's the french or dutch version of it, but I can do the french now. I'ma have a shower and wash my hair, and see if I can film/take pictures of it. ^__^

rose.grace
January 28th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I actually think i have it figured out, although I think It made me kinda cross eyed. I could to a tutorial, but I can't seem to link pictures into the threads here. I'm pretty sure it is a five stranded windowshade/lace braid. I'm not sure if it's the french or dutch version of it, but I can do the french now. I'ma have a shower and wash my hair, and see if I can film/take pictures of it. ^__^Cool! Thanks. I can't wait to see the video if you do make one. Pictures... just as good :D

SheaLynne
January 28th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Ps: SheaLynne, your dd has gorgeous hair!

SheaLynn: Thanks so much for the pic! It looks awesome on your dd! And her hair is beautiful! :thud:

Thank you (on her behalf)!! I love having her hair to play with!! LOL Also, just to chime in, I did not use my mouth or a 3rd hand, I just let the sections hang down as on the first video link. I did have to keep pulling them down so they weren't puckered up above the braid, so I can see how that might be more of a problem when you're doing it on your own hair. I'll try this one tonight on myself.

Also, waiting anxiously for the windowshade, etc. braid video....

podo
January 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I never see this in the YouTube vids, but instead of dropping the hair from the top right away put it through 1-2 plaits first. That will help keep it from sagging.

I'll see if I can manage it this weekend, and maybe try my first vid - or at least a pic tutorial.

Arya
January 28th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Okay guys. I couldn't do a tutorial, because it's crazy hard to do on your own head, and I don't have a model around. The key to it is to braid the locks almost straight backwards instead of letting them hang, so it doesn't angle downwards. drawing tutorial is in my album. If anyone tries this out, let me know how it goes!

EDIT: CARP. picture turned out tiny!?!? GAHHH I'll work it out later, sorry!

rose.grace
January 28th, 2011, 08:06 PM
At least you gave it a go, Arya. Thanks for trying :flower:It is much easier to do it on someone else. It should be called the friendship braid ;)

wendy51
January 28th, 2011, 08:26 PM
it looks super lovelyyyy! *-*

want to try this when having my hair on my back =p

Arya
January 29th, 2011, 11:47 AM
At least you gave it a go, Arya. Thanks for trying :flower:It is much easier to do it on someone else. It should be called the friendship braid ;)

Hah, it really should! As soon as I have a willing friend, I'll post pictures.