PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone find a brush works better than a comb?

shikara
January 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM
So, up until I joined LHC I have always used a brush for my hair - the bristles may be plastic - not entirely sure - it is a large elongated oval one. Since joining I have been trying to comb my hair - first with the wide tooth as suggested. That didn't work, so I tried a fine tooth comb which worked much better, and while it was relatively easy to do, it took forever. Taking the advice of many in this community, I was thinking about whatever it is that works best and feels best for your hair, do it. So I rest the last few inches on a silk scarf and slide the fine tooth comb through, then the brush (from bottom up, of course) and this works waaaaaayyyy better. That's something I really like about this community - other sites that talk about how to treat hair usually start with "NEVER' or 'ALWAYS' but the people hear seem to understand that hair care options are very diverse!! Thanks LHC!! So, does anyone else find a brush works best?

khan
January 26th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I prefer the boar bristle brush. I only use a comb after washing and it's almost dry. My hair is fine & a comb is kinda harsh for me. In the winter I use a leave in spray conditioner which helps with detangling. In the summer, I'll spend 45 minutes or so in the sun gently combing. Sun is not good for the hair - But since I only wash every 3 to 4 weeks, I feel it's worth it.

Gumball
January 26th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Ah I wish I could use a brush nice and quick like some people I know! I need a wide toothed comb, especially one that doesn't cause static, otherwise I'd have a heck of a time untangling. A brush, in my hair specifically, would snag, pull, and rip hair, and that's just before it turns me into the ultimate lion man! Poodle man? Lion poodle? My horn come helps me gently get the tangles dealt with without as much of a hassle.

I do use a boar bristle brush to smooth down some of the ever-terminal baby hairs I have when I put my hair back/up, otherwise I start channeling more of Krusty the Clown than I normally would. :lol:

HoneyJubilee
January 26th, 2011, 10:39 PM
A wide toothed comb detangles better for me but leaves comb marks in my hair so I need to go over my hair with a fine toothed comb or a brush after detangling if I want to get rid of the comb marks.

Masara
January 26th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I've tried combing time and time again but I always come back to my paddle brush. My hair is fine too and most combs catch and snap the hairs or are so wide toothed they don't actually get the tangles out. It's not a question of comb quality; I've tried hairsense and mason pearson combs amongst others. It's just how my hair is.

ScarlettAdelle
January 27th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I have a brush I got during hair school. It's been a lifesaver many-a-evening. It covers all the LHC no-no points with awe inspiring precision, but I can't do without it.

It's a brush
It's got nylon bristles
It's got the little ball thingiethings on the ends of the bristles
and so on and so forth

However, my hair is so fine and dense I can't get through it with a comb. I use a wide toothed comb in the shower, but only after I've brushed it prior to getting in. otherwise, I just can't get the tangles out & I end up with dreads.

Avital88
January 27th, 2011, 12:23 AM
For me, a brush works better. I tried combing a few weeks, but my hair was flatter with less volume and looked more messy.
I combed sometimes now, but cant live without my wooden brush..

Thinthondiel
January 27th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Brushing works better for me - when I comb, I get tangles/knots.

I have one 'bamboo pin hairbrush' from The Body Shop and two BBB's. I also have a plastic hairbrush that's actually pretty good... it's kinda similar to the bamboo brush.

Ishje
January 27th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I rather brush as well, I really have the feeling I break more hairs with combing...

Quixii
January 27th, 2011, 01:23 AM
While I do admit that I don't think the brush does great in the not-damaging realm, my hair feels better to me if I use a brush. After joining LHC, I tried the combing thing. It took forever, and my hair was still full of tangles after using it. I felt like I was wasting time and harming my hair.
So I've gone back to brushing. :shrug:

anodyne_ame
January 27th, 2011, 01:40 AM
I only started to go brush-free after I joined LCH and while my wooden comb doesn't cause static and snags less hairs than my brush, I like the way my hair feels after I've brushed it.

I have a fake-BBB - I say fake because it causes massive static and I don't think I real one does that - and I use it only when I'm not going to leave my hair down.
Then I have the type of brush ScarlettAdelle mentioned, the one covering most LHC no-no points :D but it tends to work for my hair. Again, slight problem with static but manageable.

So basically, if I want my hair to be as close to smooth and straight as it can be, I'll comb it, but if I want it to have a little more volume I opt for the brush.

Athena's Owl
January 27th, 2011, 02:31 AM
it depends on how i'm detangling.

on dry hair I alwasy finger comb first, then comb, then paddle brush (and then up it goes, because it's an big ball of frizz if I don't braid it down or bun it.)

Alaia
January 27th, 2011, 02:36 AM
I'm another paddle brush person. I have numerous combs littered around my flat because I did do it for quite a while after joining here. It just takes too long to get all the tangles out with a comb (I have to use a wide tooth then a fine tooth). I haven't noticed any extra damage from using my brush so I'm going to keep on using it! ;)

LocustSpawning
January 27th, 2011, 02:55 AM
I used a wooden comb only for ages, thinking it *had* to be the right thing to do.. until I realised quite a lot was actually breaking off. Then I got a Tangle Teezer, and I only ever use that now. I love it!!

Eolan
January 27th, 2011, 02:59 AM
I don't need to detangle alot, especially when my hair is clean. But when I do, my big old paddle brush with wooden bristles does the best job. I have tried some different combs, but they tend to snag my hair.

freckles
January 27th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Combing doesn't work particularly well for me. I love my tangle teezer :)

Drynwhyl
January 27th, 2011, 04:29 AM
I find it impossible to comb my hair, unless it's soaked in conditioner...
I only use a wooden paddle brush with very thick wooden bristles. It's the best :)I can't stand plastic ones!

tinti
January 27th, 2011, 05:49 AM
I do prefrer a brush to a comb. It's easier and you don't get that "OWEEEE!" when you stumble across a knot :p

Messyhair
January 27th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I get so much more damage with a brush than a comb. I agree my air feels a lot smoother when brushed, but I lose so much more hair using a brush. :( It's a wide-toothed comb for me.

turquoisebud
January 27th, 2011, 06:31 AM
I tried using a comb too, but now I love my Tangle Teezer! I think, for me anyways, it's less damaging. Also I get a nice scalp massage. :D

craftybunn
January 27th, 2011, 06:48 AM
I have heard of this tangle teezer but it seems quite hard to find. I too tried a lot of different combs when I first joined LHCwith little luck. They seemed to just snag and break my hair. I feel like a brush detangles much more gently for me. Maybe it is a hair type issue?

JulietCapulet
January 27th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I don't like combs at all and always use a brush.

Madora
January 27th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I use a widetooth comb to detangle. Never had any problems with frizz or not being able to get through my thick, long hair. It's how you detangle that makes the difference!

Nymph
January 27th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I tried my best to use a wide tooth comb but I always come back to the brush for detangling. It's also a question of snap and tear, I notice I loose fewer hairs using a brush as well.

jane53
January 27th, 2011, 09:18 AM
A brush definitely works better than a comb for me and it's much easier on my hair.

adiapalic
January 27th, 2011, 09:34 AM
<snip> ... That's something I really like about this community - other sites that talk about how to treat hair usually start with "NEVER' or 'ALWAYS' but the people hear seem to understand that hair care options are very diverse!! Thanks LHC!! So, does anyone else find a brush works best?

That's because people here realize that hair itself is extremely diverse! I love that about LHC too--everyone's genuinely open-minded about trying anything from conventional to unconventional hair care methods.

On combs--it really depends on what I'm trying to achieve. With detangling, I absolutely have to use my wooden bodyshop comb to get the best results--my ultimate favorite, because the ends are burnished smooth from me using it so much on oiled hair, so it glides through the hair much better than my plastic combs. I have a bakelite "bone comb" that I use also, but the prongs are much more wide-toothed, and it snags a bit more. To make results better for me, I lightly oil from the ends to about mid-length.

On brushes, I only use a BBB. Conventional ball-tipped plastic padded brushes tempt me to rake through my hair, snapping hairs and ripping out tangles. I have to stay away from those. The BBB cleans lint out of my hair, and smoothes my hair down much better than a comb would. It works wonders when I have excess oil in my scalp and am not able to get a shower in soon, so I use the BBB to distribute it down the length. I especially love my brush when I'm making updos and have to smooth down some fuzzies on top of my head. :)

So I guess in conclusion, I use both.. just for different things. Comb--detangler, brush--cleans hair, redistributes oil and smoothes the hair down. :bluebiggr

jesis
January 27th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I definitely like a brush better, but I have found that there is a technique you have to figure out with a comb, just as you said. I run my hands through my hair gently and remove tangles then I comb. Plus I do it in the shower (yay curly!).

Isabel
January 27th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I use a boar bristle brush. With fine hair, it's really a lot more gentle than a comb would be, and combing leaves my hair quite flat, too. If I get larger tangles, I fingercomb them before brushing.

rosieex3
January 27th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I use a brush that has both plastic bristles on it and boar bristles (the boar bristles kind of surround the plastic ones). It works best on my hair.

Jenn of Pence
January 27th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I tried combing with just a bone comb for a while, but the teeth were too fine, at least for my hair. I went to a Denman plastic toothed brush, which I like very much. I still detangle with a wide then fine comb when it's wet, and then try to finger comb while it dries. A BBB doesn't do much for my thick hair.

Anje
January 27th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Depends on a lot of stuff. I like my Tangle Teezer, and I like my wide-tooth combs.

However, when I have lint in my hair, there are times when it retangles so fast I can't even detangle with a comb. At those instances, I break one of the "cardinal rules": I detangle with a BBB! <gasp!> <shock!> It seems to be the only thing that separates the hairs and cleans the lint bits off each individual strand. Once I've de-linted, my hair isn't tangly anymore.

It's funny, because I don't like the effects of brushing with a BBB. It makes my hair flat against my head, and I generally run a comb through afterward to break it up again. But there's no better tool for linty tangles.

BrightEyes7
January 27th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I use a wide tooth comb to do my initial detangle after a wash, when my hair is mostly dry.

But it's a paddle brush for me the rest of the time. The brush smoothes out my hair and makes it mostly straight.

I use a Goody wood bristle paddle brush. Love it!

lyria
January 27th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I am a big fan of the Jojoba infused Goddy brush (it's blue). The "bristles" are very soft and smooth and couldn't pull my hair even if I tried!

Mirsha
January 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I only use my wide tooth comb when my hair is wet, I much prefer the Tangle Teezer look-a-like I got a few weeks back on dry hair.

I have one wide tooth comb and about eight brushes, I try and rotate them so I can clean them after every use.

Becky Safari
January 27th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I also use my detangling comb only before and after a shower. My hair is really fine, so a BBB seems to work much better for me, sometimes a comb will cause static and tangles, but the brush will even things out and get my hair to smooth out more

Chamy
January 27th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I do, i have used a comb for maybe two years, and i feel like it was more damaging for my hair than a brush is. Since i went back to a brush, my hair looks better than with the comb. Do what feels best for you, and dont worry about the "rules".

chopandchange
January 27th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I use a wide tooth comb to do my initial detangle after a wash, when my hair is mostly dry.

Don't you mean "mostly wet"? :p

Malibu Barbie
January 27th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I use a widetooth comb after I wash it then as it drys I use a paddle brush. During the day I do comb more then brush because I wear my hair down most of the time.

Tia2010
January 27th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I like using the Body Shop wooden comb for detangling after my shower but when my hair is dry I use my Bamboo brush. It just feels less damaging to my hair.

ibleedlipstick
January 27th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I really tried to use a wide-tooth comb, but I have found that my hair really prefers a Tangle Teezer, which I consider to be a brush.

TiaKitty
January 27th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I like to use a brush. I use a paddle brush primarily, but I also just got a Tangle Teezer, which I am liking quite a bit. Sometimes I use a comb in the shower to distribute conditioner, but only occasionally, and that's about the only time I comb.

I recently found my Tangle Teezer for $9.99 at Sally's!

jaine
January 27th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I love my comb on wet hair. I love my Goody Ouchless brush on dry hair - assuming I have dried it in a way that stretches out my waves to the point where they can be brushed without poof. If it's in its default state of wurliness/curliness then I pretty have to much leave it alone until it's wet again.

LadyJennifer
January 27th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I definitely find that brushes work better for my hair than combs. My hair is thick and moody, so a comb doesn't do much. I do comb with a wide-toothed comb after a shower, but when dry (I rarely brush anyway though) I use a Bass wooden paddle brush.

enfys
January 27th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I don't get broken hairs in brushes. I get broken hairs in combs. It's a no-brainer on my head.

Tangle Teezer is the best thing for me, but I've had more luck with cheap plastic brushes than any comb I've ever met.