PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else's hair parting drive them insane?

rosieex3
January 26th, 2011, 10:02 PM
First of all, I can part my hair in the front of my head by my forehead with no issues. My hair partings at the crown of my head (top backish section?) are honestly crazy. I never part my hair the same first of all, and it is still always an issue. I feel like the parts are too wide, and anywhere I do part my hair, it goes down the back of my head way too far where on most people the part will stop. Sometimes there are kind of multiple parts in the back of my head and it seriously looks like a bald spot where they all "meet up" or the part just looks way too long. I never see anyone in person with this issue, and it is the #1 reason I have been wearing my hair up lately. I can't comb the parts out, my hair just grows in so many different directions at the crown of my head. I hate it so much! Sometimes I will have an awesome hair day, but I will still put my hair up because my part looks like a bald spot. I feel like my hair looks so full of volume in front because you can't see any scalp; but if you look at me from the back it looks so thin because of all the parting. :confused: Does anyone else deal with this? I know it doesn't sound like a huge deal, but it's almost like an OCD thing with me. Least favorite part of my hair. Def.

I'm sure my hair has always been like this, but I'm just noticing it within the year 2010 because that's when I started "caring" about my hair and looking at the length with a mirror from the back.

txhedgehog
January 26th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Yes, my hair parts weird. It will end the part roughly where it should, but it still manages to find all kinds of trouble to get into. Before the crown, it will behave normally. After that, the last inch or so before the parting ends, it insists on parting crooked. Sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right, sometimes both so it looks like I have a Y on my head. The cowlick to on the left side of my head in the back brings additional joy to the festivities on my scalp, which is part of why I keep my hair back at work. I'm hoping that the weight of it as it grows will encourage it to behave.

Uni&Corn
January 26th, 2011, 11:11 PM
It sounds like you and I have the same problem. I have a double crown--two natural "partings" on the back of my head, which makes it LOOK like I have bald spots there when I don't. It's so aggravating. I hate wearing my hair down because of it. I've also noticed that the double crowns make it harder make a smooth ponytail--I always get bumps in the back :( Most girls can slick their hair back quickly into a ponytail and have no bumps, but I can't do that with my hair. I feel your pain and the double crown is seriously the number one thing I hate about my hair. Unfortunately I don't know how to fix/deal with it. The fact that my hair is only medium thickness (ii) doesn't help matters either...

ScarlettAdelle
January 27th, 2011, 01:05 AM
The only thing I can think to do is try and train it out of your hair by pulling it in the direction you want it to go (and pulling it a little taught) and pinning it every day so that it stays there (and pulls on the scalp. It'll be uncomfortable, but to me it was worth it) & then putting your other hair up for a couple months and see if this has lessened. I got rid of my funky squiggly part by doing this. Took me almost a year, but it was worth it to me.

The pins also don't have to show if you don't want them to. I always pinned them right under wherever I was going to wear my bun or ponytail and covered the tightly pinned hair with loose hair so as not to let on that there was puppet mastery going on under my hair XD

dropinthebucket
January 27th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Ah, yes, I also have the dreaded crooked hair cleavage - the cleavage is bad enough, but crooked too?! I use a small clip so it will dry together, instead of a part way down the back of my head, and it works for the first day - but by day 2, it's back to tricks! Then it goes up with a stick, which is probably for the best anyway.

rosieex3
January 27th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Good to know I'm not alone! Thanks for the tips! I think I have tried all of them with no success unfortunately. :( I've started taking a supplement called maxi-hair and I'm hoping that it will alter the growth where the crazy parting stops..somehow.

HairFaerie
January 27th, 2011, 10:53 AM
My hair naturally parts on the left but unfortunately, there's a thinning spot there with a whole bunch of new growth sticking out! I am happy about the new growth but...AGH!
My natural part also does some weird "swoop" thing at my hairline. It's not a big cowlick, but enough of something to make a swoop that drives me insane!
I am growing out bangs and they are long enough to touch he middle of my nose now. I am hoping once they grow longer, the weight will end the madness!

ArienEllariel
January 27th, 2011, 10:55 AM
My parting looks like a Y. Yes, it's a pain in the butt.

And as someone else said, it's hard to slick my hair back into a neat ponytail or even a neat french braid because of it.

rose.grace
January 27th, 2011, 11:02 AM
All this is oddly comforting. I thought I was alone. Now it's a movement. It's nice to know others have this. And like the OP, I probably always had it and never noticed until lately. I have found a sort-of solution but it involves NW/SO. Since beginning this, all I do is brush my hair straight back (with a paddle brush especially made to not damage hair, and to reduce the electric crazies) and it stays. No it's not gummy or sticky (I thought it would be). I only have the cleavage when I first wake up in the mornings and sometimes not even then. It's nice. It may be that the sebum coating (from preening)adds enough weight to the top hair (It's been cut in layers--which I regret profoundly--so the top hair is lighter and shorter) to make it lie down. I'm hoping this wonderful effect of my new hair care routine will continue.

When I was using water and washing my hair (every 5 days, like clockwork), it was always falling in my face so I had to use a headband or something to be able to see. I had that cleavage constantly and tried everything short of super-glue to get it to stop but it would poke it's little self out through all adversity. Staunch and determined little thing. But now... it's settling down very well.

I got so tickled reading this thread though. I know exactly what it's like and it's nice to find there are others who struggle with the same thing. I wonder why it bothers us...

irishlady
January 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I have had this problem before. I had a huge cow's lick on the front left part of my head, and no matter what I did it would not go down, ever, and sometimes I looked like I was bald.
It looks better now that my hair is longer, so I don't know...

I'm not much help sorry :o

PrincessTieflin
January 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Mine is not so much the back of my head but in my bangs, I have a swirl on one side and then when I wear the bangs down the SPLIT so I have what looks like the McDonalds arch .. and my bangs are so thin you can see my scalp so where it splits I look like I have a bald spot :(

jeanniet
January 27th, 2011, 11:27 AM
My hair absolutely refuses to part anywhere but in the middle. I'd love to have a side part, or even just a little off-center, and I tried for years to get my hair to agree, but it won't and at this point I've given up arguing with it. I also get the "hair cleavage" (extended back part), but with my hair up it doesn't show. If I have it down I have to remember to fluff it up and rearrange it a little so it's not obvious.

mizsunshyne
January 27th, 2011, 12:12 PM
My part is the same way! In the back, it like spilts into two different parts a little bit. I usually forget about it because I can't see it but I know you can train your part. Just keep putting it where you want it and eventually it should stay.

rose.grace
January 27th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Mine is not so much the back of my head but in my bangs, I have a swirl on one side and then when I wear the bangs down the SPLIT so I have what looks like the McDonalds arch .. and my bangs are so thin you can see my scalp so where it splits I look like I have a bald spot :(Believe it or not, I know girls who would love to have that Mc Donald's arch split going on. They are very popular with Sailor Moon and these girls try so hard to make their bangs stand up like that. Sorry about the bald spot look thing, though.

Fairlight63
January 27th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I have the same thing! Mine is on the right side back, I HATE it!! I have had it as far back as I can remember.
Unless I put it in a half up before putting it in a low bun or braid it will part there & I look like I have a bald spot. I always check the back after fixing my hair, seems like if it looks nice & full in the front - I have what I call the "the gap" showing, so I have to comb over it to make sure it is covered up.
Glad to know that I am not the only one, I used to think that it was a bald spot, but after coming here I have learned that it is a cowlick & nothing to be worried about.

wildblue
January 27th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I have the same problem, hahaha. The part continues down the back of my head an inch or two and lays funny. Totally looks like a bald spot when I try to look at it. :(

Anywhere
January 27th, 2011, 07:14 PM
My hair parts in a T or checkmark shaped part. The short top of the T being in the back of my head, same with the smaller part on the checkmark, it drives me insane and makes me look like I'm balding. :mad:

darklion
January 27th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I have horrible hair cleavage at the back of my head. Sometimes it will even appear when I put my hair up! (you know, something that isn't tight). I've found that it really limits the hairstyles that I wear.
All that aside, it's really nice to hear that I'm not alone!!!

ravenreed
January 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I have a weird almost swirly/cowlick thing right at the highest part of the back of my head. It is only a problem when I am doing double buns or braids and have to part my hair down the back. It takes several tries and there is always a side part that looks odd.

tinti
January 27th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Yep, I absolutely hate my parting(s!). Usually I part it on the side, because I can cover my BIG forehead with my bangs that way. But I also have a stubborn parting in the middle, and it's making pompadoors/quiffs/poofs quite impossible for me, because whenever I try to pouf my hair up it parts in the middle and/or at the sides. Having short bangs were a nightmare because they allways parted down the middle, splitting my bangs so that I looked like ... you can probably guess :p Also, in the end of my part I have a swirly cowlick, so I allways have a little "bump" on my head because the cowlick makes my hair kinda stand up a bit.

mellie89
January 27th, 2011, 09:24 PM
My hair really loves to part from my right temple diagonally across my head to the left side of the back of my head, where I have a giant cowlick. It's not happy with a side part, nor with a middle part. Just a diagonal part. I've grown to accept it. :p

I can somewhat force it to behave if I part it when it's wet and anchor it by putting in two pigtail braids. Even then, though, I'll usually have some strange bumps.

heynormy
January 27th, 2011, 11:16 PM
YES!!! My hair normally parts in the middle, but I think I look horrible with a middle part! To top it off I have a cowlick on the side where I like to part my hair, thus making me look like I have a bald spot!! :D

McFearless
January 27th, 2011, 11:18 PM
My parting looks like a christmas tree. Wide for 2 1/2 inches and then it gets really thin. I wish it was thin all over!

ravenreed
January 28th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I sometimes do a part similar but not quite as extreme, depending on my hairstyle. If I want double buns or braids, but still want to keep my parting on the right side, I will bring my part from the right temple to the middle of the back of my head. I kinda like it!

My hair really loves to part from my right temple diagonally across my head to the left side of the back of my head, where I have a giant cowlick. It's not happy with a side part, nor with a middle part. Just a diagonal part. I've grown to accept it. :p

I can somewhat force it to behave if I part it when it's wet and anchor it by putting in two pigtail braids. Even then, though, I'll usually have some strange bumps.

July 13th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I discovered this thread after googling a similar issue - a new stubborn parting at the top of my head on the left... While my hair would generally prefer to part on the left, I know this parting has been there only a few months. From what I read so far (just googled "hair cowlick") it has to do with the direction of the hair follicles in the scalp, and since I cut my hair in layers I have been tying it back at the top and bottom of the back of my head before going to bed, so I guess after a few months the roots just started growing in this direction...

Someone here suggested a tip of holding the head down in the opposite direction for a few months - so I'm going to try that :)

Sorry about reviving an old thread - but to me this issue is new ;)

xx

stachelbeere
July 13th, 2013, 10:54 AM
I discovered this thread after googling a similar issue - a new stubborn parting at the top of my head on the left... While my hair would generally prefer to part on the left, I know this parting has been there only a few months. From what I read so far (just googled "hair cowlick") it has to do with the direction of the hair follicles in the scalp, and since I cut my hair in layers I have been tying it back at the top and bottom of the back of my head before going to bed, so I guess after a few months the roots just started growing in this direction...

Someone here suggested a tip of holding the head down in the opposite direction for a few months - so I'm going to try that :)

Sorry about reviving an old thread - but to me this issue is new ;)

xx

it's good you did it, I have the same going on in the crown of my head.
what do you mean by holding the head down in the opposite direction? for how long per day?

nobeltonya
July 13th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I just leave my hair to it and it naturally parts right around the middle [generally slightly to one or the other side]. If I try anything else, I have to fight with it.. :) :disco:

July 14th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Sorry - it should be "holding the hair down".... Like someone here suggested - I also think that using bobby-pins for a few months could change the direction of hair growth. Hopefully I'll have my own "experiment results" in a while.

:)

stachelbeere
July 14th, 2013, 01:40 AM
I was taking pictures today (of my hair length) and maaaan, that cowlick/ extended hair parting on the left side of my head looks horrible especially with light brown roots on red henna. :/

spirals
July 14th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I've always had a "bald spot" at the back of the crown, but never knew it had anything to do with parting. I guess my part extends down the back of my head. As for the tip of my head, I have two. One is lightly left of center and one is right of center. I go with the left one.

The-Young-Maid
February 7th, 2020, 11:59 AM
I have a what I believe is a cowlick on the crown of my head that makes a true middle part almost impossible. My hair just won't stay parted evenly and keeps falling to the right. Super annoying. And I'm short so everyone can see the top of my head!

Laurab
February 7th, 2020, 03:28 PM
I've parted my hair on the same side foreeeever.
I've been trying to part it just a little differently lately for variety's sake, and becaue I heard it's good for your hair to mix it up every once in a while (prevents breakage, idk if that's true)
It's always sooo crooked on the first try, and if I go too far to the other side, it feels weird and flips a lot.

gustavonut
February 7th, 2020, 03:30 PM
It’s always middle parted, anything else is uncomfortable and/or painful

leayellena
February 8th, 2020, 12:19 AM
I'm dealing with the exact thing you described.
The bald spot appearance... everything.
First of all, about the parting that doesn't go far in the back: yes I tried that to pre- and after -lhc. I saw it on YouTube and I thought volume = thick. Wrong of course. They teach you to fuss on your hair like you'd go to a landlord's wedding. Pinterest is not real life. Hair grows from follicles that are shaped as they are. Nothing can be done against it but styling.
Before lhc I clipped my hair to cover the bald spot (aka cowlick).
After lhc I wear my hair in buns outside and if I have to wear my hair down well I'm fairly sure my cowlick will show after few minutes so I don't care what people say because I wear my hair down only for a special occasion and when I'm around people who know me and appreciate me. That's how I deal with insecurities btw.

Hexen
February 8th, 2020, 09:07 AM
Is there any merit to the suggestion that the more a persons hair parts in the same place, that the more it may look like a barren area void of follical habitation? Because my hair does for the most part...part, in the middle, and in the same general place. But at this point I guess it's just the natural fall of it. And when looking at photos, I've also noticed, as have some other people have mentioned about themselves, that my part can take on somewhat of a diagonal path as well.

It's like a part can never win. If it's too straight it looks like your head is about split open. If it's diagonal, it looks like "Lombard Street" in San Francisco.

I think I'm just going to start taking a sharpie, and coloring in my part. But then it would look like I have no part whatsoever! And wouldnt that look weird.

Hmm....maybe my part actually IS driving me insane.

Stray_mind
February 8th, 2020, 09:31 AM
My hair parts in a way, thay when it's loose it is Always falling over my eye. It's really annoying.