PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need honest opinions!

HairFaerie
January 26th, 2011, 01:12 PM
OK. I have been thinking this over for a few weeks now.
I am officially of the camp "Do I really want long hair and does it even suit me?"

My family & BF think I was more suited for the short, blond hair. They said it looked the best on me.

I think so too. Beside from how it looked, I felt great with it! For some reason I felt very empowered with the short pixie cut that was blond. I would walk into a room and heads would turn (in a good way). I know it's psychological, but I felt really strong with this hair cut & color.

As far as the longer hair...I am finding it to be more of a struggle trying to find a style that I like. I am not happy with it most of the time. Getting it to look halfway decent requires some work. The short blond didn't. The only maintenance was coloring every three weeks or so. Also, looking in the mirror and at pictures, I just don't think the long hair suits my face or my personality. I looked and felt so much happier with the shorter blond.

So, I would like some honest opinions! Does the short, blond suit my face better?

Here are several pics to help you decide:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7163&pictureid=94552

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7163&pictureid=94551

And my all time favorite:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7163&pictureid=94553

Here is a facial shot of me with longer hair:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6676&pictureid=91351

Edited: As requested, here are some current pics of me smiling!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6676&pictureid=94651

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6676&pictureid=94650

pepperminttea
January 26th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Since you asked for honest opinions: I really like the brown on you, it makes your eye colour 'pop', and your hair looks really healthy and shiny. That said, the shot of you with your glasses on makes you look much younger to my eyes, those frames really suit you. I'd be intrigued to see how you look with a brown pixie.

But - going by what you said about how a blonde pixie made you feel, I'd go with that. It really sounds like that was what you were happiest with, and if your hair doesn't make you happy, well, what's it for. :)

Panth
January 26th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Of the photos you've posted, I like the second the best.

But... tbh your last photo is not long hair. From those photos, you/we have no idea if you will look good with long hair or not. Perhaps find someone (on LHC?) who is good with photoshop and 'shop a photo to look like longer hair. Also, another thing to consider is that many people consider updos to look more like pixie cuts than long hair... Personally, I think a polished updo would look fantastic on you.

Having said that, how you look is not everything. If you don't feel good, no matter how you look it's not worth it. So, have a think, do the 2 week rule (at least) and then decide?

EDITED TO ADD: Having just read pepperminttea's post, I went back and had another closer look. I didn't even notice before that the picture I liked best was the only one with you wearing glasses!

As far as hair colour, I agree with pepperminttea - the brown IMO suits you better, looks wonderfully healthy and glossy and complements your eyes and skin tone.
The glasses make you look younger and suit you really well...
As for hair length, I am unconvinced based on look alone that the pixie is better. But, if you felt better then, well, that's certainly a good enough reason to go back to it.

Avital88
January 26th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I honestly think brown hair looks better and more classy on you.
But thats the look i usually prefer so it can be different in anybody's opinions.
Good luck with your decision!

daaisychains
January 26th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Honestly i like the longer hair :-) But i'm biased, i love all long healthy hair.

However you are correct about you're 'favourite' short hair, you can see in your eyes how confident you feel with it.

Honestly? Go with what you want.. hair grows :-)!! So go with whatever hairstyle you enjoy.

milagro
January 26th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Frankly I like your favorite the most, too :) But it doesn't mean long hair doesn't suit you. You current length is the most annoying (do I know that!), you can't do it up now and obviously open face is the most flattering look for you. You have such great eyes, they should be shown off :flower: Very probably when you hair is about SL and longer you'll find ways to do you hair away from the face and both will look better than ever. So if you feel able to take patience and grow I think it's worth while. Otherwise the blond buzz is a great option, and you'll have all the fun with dying and styling it you'd like.
BTW I like the brown color on you.

ETA The photos also bias a little. There's different lighting and you don't have such radiant smile in the last one, so it adds to viewer's perception, count this in!

Narya
January 26th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I really like your shade of brown, and with it your eyes certainly stand out.

But do you know what suits you best? A smile. I think the main reason the short blond hair seems to suit your face better on those photos is the fact that you're smiling. So, short, long, blonde, brunette... it doesn't mind. Just smile ;)

alwayssmiling
January 26th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I think the last picture of you with brown hair (lovely colour) and longer is the nicest style. I think it will look even better as it gets longer. You would look great with long hair.

But do what makes you happiest.

Shermie Girl
January 26th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Okay, the way I see it, when you have blonde hair, you are lit up. Bright, smiling, happy. In the picture of you with dark hair you look to me as if you are subdued, almost hiding from yourself. The dark hair is lovely with your skin and eyes but it doesn't feel "natural" to you in your photographs.

If you are a blonde in your deepest heart of hearts, then a blonde is what and who you should be. As far as length is concerned, what do you really want? It is possible to have long, blonde hair, if you would like to travel that route. :D

Ultimately, it is your hair and you need to wear it how it makes you happy and feel beautiful.

skyblue
January 26th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I think if you feel better and more confident with short hair you should cut it, I do like the darker color on you though, is this your natural color?
The growing out period can be very frustrating especially if your used to having some type of style to your hair, maybe have a look at some styles for your length that you might like and give that a try for now, you could always go for the pixie if your not happy

princessp
January 26th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I think you look great with really short platinum hair. I like the brown on you too, but I think the platinum just looks so vibrant (I wonder what you would look like as a henna head). But with that said, I also think you would look excellent with BSL or longer hair. Personally, I don't think the in between stage is the best look for you. In the end, I'd say go with your gut feelings on this.

misslicorice
January 26th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Your hair looks so healthy and shiny now! The shorter style was fun, but I like the way it looks at the current length. The darker color makes your eyes stand out, but it also makes you look a little paler. I don't think that's a bad thing, but if you wanted, you could experiment with wearing some blush or bronzer.

rosieex3
January 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Completely honest, you look great with both! Which is crazy because not many people can pull off hairstyles and colors that are so different from eachother. But..I prefer the longer brown hair. Your eye color is amazing, and the brown makes it pop!

spidermom
January 26th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I agree as already stated; you're at an awkward length in the growing process, and it's impossible from the stage you're in to know how you will look (or feel) with long hair.

Do what feels right to YOU; nobody else should get a vote.

LaurelSpring
January 26th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I think the pictures are deceiving like the before and after weight loss sort of pictures. In the blonde ones you are happy and bright in bright environments and in the darker one you look sad and have on a mustardy sort of color with a dark background.

The thing is that perhaps in the end you may want to go back to the short blonde pixie if that makes you feel your best, but if you never give yourself the chance to find out if you really really like long hair then you will just never know and you will always wonder. Its really difficult to make a decision if you dont let yourself get past the awkward grow out phases. That can take time and patience and you have to really want it.

Maybe you could play around with some long blonde wigs or something? Whatever you decide should be the thing that makes you happy.

ooo
January 26th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Both the first pixie pictures and the very last picture with the longer hair look good.
Be aware, that the yellowy blond makes you look ill. If you don't want to hear it, ignore it, but you should definitely go for a a neutral or "cold" colour. If you wear your hair brown, a little red does not hurt too much, but yellowy blond is awful for your type. Also the coppery and reddish brown eye make up makes you look ill. Never mind, if you like the ill look, I know a lot of people do. I hope this does not sound harsh, English is not my first language :flower:

CarpeDM
January 26th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I like picture #1 the best!

MsBubbles
January 26th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Your photos made me laugh! You look practically overjoyed in the blond pixie ones (and the overjoyedness alone probably turns heads). In the 'long' hair brunette one you look just about fed up with everything. So the photos are leading, in that respect.

Bottom line is, if you love a short blond pixie on you, have that.

GuardGirl
January 26th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Not that my two cents are worth anything, but I think the blonde gives you almost a hard, intimidating look and the brown is super feminine and youthful. I think it boils down to which persona you prefer to be associated with. And I agree with the poster who said that, frankly, your hair isn't long enough yet to decide if 'long hair' suits you better.

Just a small suggestion- why don't you continue growing your hair out for another year, til it's really more of what would be considered a long style, and then reevaluate your situation? That way, if you decide you do in fact like your hair long, you will have let it get long enough to be close to your goal. If you cut it off now, and regret it, you will have to start all over. What is it about long hair that made you decide to grow it out in the first place? Why don't you get back to that original train of thought and decide if that is still what you want. Don't let anyone on here or in your personal life sway you from what YOU want. :)

HairFaerie
January 26th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the input so far! I appreciate it.

Some of you noticed something very important which is the very reason I am considering going back to this style/color...I smiled a lot more with the short blond! I felt more sassy and playful.

I know ultimately it is my decision alone, but I wanted input to help me decide. Lately I have just been looking in the mirror thinking "This just isn't me!" and my personality seems to be more subdued now (someone mentioned that) and I don't like that feeling! I am definitely a more vibrant, bubbly person and it seems like the blond pixie reflected that a lot more.

Intransigentia
January 26th, 2011, 02:37 PM
The short blonde pixie looks great! (But I have a thing for short spiky platinum blond hair on women)

That said, your longer dark hair is also very beautiful and shiny and thick, and as everybody has pointed out, is at a really awkward stage right now. Too short to put up, and too long to look polished without putting a lot of effort into it. It really does get better if you hang in there! The question is whether you want to, obviously.

Lemur_Catta
January 26th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Honestly, I think the blond pixie ages you a bit. But I don't really like the "longer" hairstyle because it's not really long...it is kind of a in-between cut, and that ages you too. That's just my perspective, based on the fact that where I live a lot of older people dye their hair short and blond, to disguise the grays, so I associate that with "being older".
I like brown more, anyway, but I think you should try long hair before saying it's not for you. Maybe get a BSL wig?
Besides, when your hair is long, when you want the short look you can put it up.

GlassWidow
January 26th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I think the pixie cut is really cute on you. I do, however, like the longer hair on you, too. The problem with where your hair is right now is that it's just awkward. Not just on you, but on everyone. Mine is really not that much longer than yours, particularly in the front because of my layers, and it's that annoying, in-between stage.

Definitely do what makes you happiest. If you aren't ready to give up on long hair yet, maybe try a subtle change (maybe platinum highlights, or even change your makeup palette...maybe you needed more bold colors to tone down the platinum, but now you need something more subtle to play up the darker color?) and see if it makes you happier.

Kherome
January 26th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Like everyone else said, do what makes you happy.

However my personal thoughts are that the blond is not flattering. It's actually just yellow, not really blond. The color makes your skin look very sallow and almost like you're ill. The cut ages you a bit as well.

The last photo isn't very flattering, you look like someone just told you that you're fired or something. I'm also wondering if you may have subconsciously posted an unflattering photo on purpose because you're hoping people will say "Go back to the blond!"? So if you want to go back to what you had, do it! It's your head and you should do what makes you happy! That's what matters. ;) I happen to love the brownish red color in the last photo, it looks shiney and deep.

As others have pointed out you're kind of in an "inbetween" growth stage. My advice would be to let it grow more, since you've invested so much time in it thus far, before you go for the big chop. Maybe change your products or routine to see if you like it better? I'd shoot for APL at least, then chop if you are still unhappy, then you know you gave it a real shot and you won't regret it later. You could even dye it lighter if you wanted to, and just manage for damage. I'd try that before cutting as well. Maybe a color change would make you happier?

ETA: I hated my hair with a passion when it was your current length. It took some growth before I liked mine.

ETA2: I love the glasses!

RocketDog
January 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I absolutely ADORE that second cut... That was the pixie I wanted so, so badly when I cut my hair super short, but alas, my texture made it look more like a shaved-down shag carpet wig. I say go with whatever you want, after all it'll grow back!

HairFaerie
January 26th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Well, I think what explains the last photo is that I took it myself. The other photos someone else took. When I take photos of myself, I tend not to smile. Also, upon further scrutiny, I really don't have many recent photos.

After reading everyone's opinions and taking a long, hot shower and drying my hair, what I think is really happening is that I have the winter "blahs". I am feeling quite crappy about everything in my life right now and earlier my hair just happened to take the brunt of it!

I do agree that this in-between stage really sucks. I think I will stick it out until it gets past this stage and then see what happens. Maybe once spring and summer comes and my hair has grown a few more inches and I will be able to put it up, etc., I won't be as unhappy with it (like many of you said).

Thanks again for your input everyone! :)

Anywhere
January 26th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I think both look cute, the short hair makes you look more spunky, but the darker color makes your eyes pop more. Go with what makes you feel best.

scorpio_rising
January 26th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Well, unfortunately I can't yet see the pictures but I kinda feel like I don't even know that I need to in order to have an opinion. Do what feels good to you. It doesn't matter what your boyfriend or your family think, and it doesn't matter what we think. It only matters what YOU think, and more importantly, what you feel. And you feel good with a short blonde pixie, right?
Don't sweat TLHC - I'm pretty sure we still will love you with short hair. ;)

maus
January 26th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Well, I think what explains the last photo is that I took it myself. The other photos someone else took. When I take photos of myself, I tend not to smile. Also, upon further scrutiny, I really don't have many recent photos.

After reading everyone's opinions and taking a long, hot shower and drying my hair, what I think is really happening is that I have the winter "blahs". I am feeling quite crappy about everything in my life right now and earlier my hair just happened to take the brunt of it!

I do agree that this in-between stage really sucks. I think I will stick it out until it gets past this stage and then see what happens. Maybe once spring and summer comes and my hair has grown a few more inches and I will be able to put it up, etc., I won't be as unhappy with it (like many of you said).

I am glad that's what you decided, and I agree with almost everybody else - the blonde makes you look a little "sick", maybe it's the tone - I think if you ever decide to go back to blonde, a cooler blonde would work better. I really, really like the brown color on you, and once you get past the awkward stage it'll look stunning, I'm sure! Also, with blonde you will always have the issue of roots showing if you have darker hair, even if it's only 2 weeks. So even if you keep up with the color every three weeks, you still have one week of roots showing, which in my opinion would always look "sloppy" (not saying that you look sloppy or anything, but you maybe you get what I am trying to say (not my native language)).

Clytemnestra
January 26th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I was just watching the film "Breathless" again, and you have that Jean Seberg look! There's not many people who look good with a pixie, but you sure do, and that middle shot with glasses is great.

Maybe a brown haired pixie if you decide to go that way. Two week rule is always good for decision making.

chelssix
January 26th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I like both colors on you, but you look *happier* as a blonde. I can tell that you're happier and more confident in those pictures.

Honestly, I like you best with shorter hair. You pull it off so well and really have the face for it!

Dragon
January 26th, 2011, 06:33 PM

I think you have made the right choice. You don't know if you like long hair till you try it and with the one I like best, I think they both look good.

Lostsoule77
January 26th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I personally think you looked better with the brown color. As others have said, it really made your beautiful eyes pop! I also liked the longer hair as well. I'm glad you decided to try it out a bit longer.

In the end though, do whatever makes you happiest. Don't listen to us or even your bf or family. You are the one that has to live with it so it's your opinion that truely matters. :)

ravenreed
January 26th, 2011, 06:52 PM
For color, length, and style, I prefer the first picture. That doesn't mean that longer hair won't look good, but I don't think the last photo shows a flattering length for you. Maybe try on a couple wigs to see what you will look like with longer hair?

Kathie
January 26th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I think it looks nice longer... it is a different 'look' compared to the blond. But overall I think its nicer. What about long and blond! I've heard of some people here maintaining long colored hair.

Toadstool
January 26th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I like the second photo best but you look fine with longer hair. Everything you posted suggested you prefer it short so I'm curious: what made you want to grow it? If those reasons still hold true for you, then keep growing it?

GoddesJourney
January 26th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I really like that last picture with the brown.

UltraBella
January 26th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I know you already decided for now, but i still wanted to tell you that your favorite is my favorite as well. Super light blonde pixie all the way :)

weatherwax
January 26th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Hey, I'm jumping in at the end here, but for what it's worth, I've always wished I could pull off that pixie look. It's great on you, very punky and appealing. I also heart the glasses.

That said, I can definitely visualize your face with a snaky updo. Medusa coils, or a mysterious bun. Maybe in a sleekly artificial hue. Long doesn't have to mean well-behaved ;).

ScarlettAdelle
January 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Slightly off topic, but:

My gosh! What a lovely wave pattern you have!!! *jealous*

Debra83
January 27th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Didn't read all of the thread, but as one who usually like blond hair better, I'm surprised to be answering that I like you with the darker hair better, makes you look younger and goes with your coloring so nicely. I would love to see a picture with you in your glasses, and with a smile, with your dark hair, before I give my definite, final answer though!

eresh
January 27th, 2011, 06:08 AM
I think everyone feel "blergh" with their in-between stage ;)
It's not short enough for a specific style and not long enough yet for longhair styles.
But...patience...it is worth it!

Then if you don't like it, you can always decide to cut back again.

As for colour, I really like the very blond on you.

craftybunn
January 27th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I think your hair looks healthiest and prettiest in the bottom picture. Where your hair is brown. Of the short styles I do like the spikey look you have in the one you refer to as your all time favorite. I must say though, it seems to me that you have already made up your mind. You posted three pics of a short hairstyle with your smiling and only one pic of the longer hair with a forelorn expression. Are you bored with it? Was this a subconcious move?

virgo75
January 27th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I'm probably not going to be any help, but I like both for different reasons.

The brown looks healthy, very pretty(I love the little flippies and waves you have!), and it brings out your eyes more.

The blonde is stunning and would(should) definitely turn heads! I imagine the attention you get wearing your hair like that must be addictive. :p

How long have you been growing your hair?
I would try to give it a year or 2. If you don't like your hair longer, then you can always go back to the short blonde pixie. :)

Clarisse
January 27th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I like the long hair, but I don’t think the brown goes well with your skin tone.
Is it your natural color?
If not, I would cut the hair short again (since you like it), then grow out the virgin color again from scratch.

But you should always do what you feel best with - and if it’s short hair, go cut it!

(Btw - I think you look happier in the first pictures. That makes you more beautiful too ;) )

spidermom
January 27th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I'm glad that you decided to stick with the grow-out for now. I started to feel like I had long hair as it passed APL. My guess is that you will reach APL in about a year. Then the fun begins - you will have enough hair for up-dos and braids.

2peasinapod
January 27th, 2011, 08:20 AM
I think the blonde pixie suits you, but I like both colors on you. Your hair looks like it is at an in between length in the last picture. It looks like you have a really nice wave pattern coming in, but it looks like an awkward length. This probably isn't helpful, but since you don't really have a long hair picture (or at least long enough to style hair), I don't think it's a good comparison.

Winter definitely sucks for hair. Mine gets blah, too. I think everyone does. Being able to put it up really does help. My hair looked similar to your signature at that length. It didn't start looking decent until it hit shoulder length, so take that into consideration. Waves really need more length before they start looking nice.

I think you should do what makes you happy, and I hope you're happy with whatever you decide.

HairFaerie
January 27th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Whew! What a roller coaster ride! Like I mentioned earlier, I really think I am just experiencing winter blues. (Maybe Seasonal Affective Disorder as they like to call it.)
When I woke up this morning, I had no desire to cut my hair anymore and I don't feel as down about it.
I think what helped is I cleaned up my bedroom really well and rearranged the furniture last night! I think that change helped out a lot and I didn't have to sacrifice my hair! :)
Also, this weekend, I am going to buy a new outfit or something and also perhaps some new makeup. Some eyeshadow/liner colors that are something different that what I already have. (I have TONS of browns and mauve/purple colors.) This might be enough of a subtle change to get me out of the "blahs" too.

My original reasons for wanting to grow out my hair almost 7 months ago was that I was tired of the short hair because I was locked in to the same style! So, it really makes sense to just push through this awkward stage until it is long enough to do a bunch of different things to it. I think that's why I am getting fed up with it right now...it's too short for some things and too long for others and I am just kind of "stuck". (Just like I felt with the short hair.) So, going back to the short hair would only be temporary fix because I am sure I would get bored with it after a few months!

Thanks again everyone! I do really appreciate everyone's opinion! (I like seeing the diversity of the opinions as well as the explanations as to why they were chosen.) All of the input made me think before I made a rash decision that I might regret. It made me search deep down what the real reason for wanting to cut short again and I was able to find it and realize it is not the best thing to do right now.

So, again...THANKS EVERYONE!

Chamy
January 27th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I personally like the last photo, but count in that i tend to favour longer hair to shorter. When i read your text it seems that you prefer the short blonde, but somehow think that you should have longer and darker hair. And to me the answer to your question is absolutely clear. Go for the short blonde style, that is what you like, and if you are happy with it that will show, and you will look more radiant than with a style you dont really like.

Shimmy
January 27th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I like the brown better, I think the blond washes you out.

You seem to be wearing more make-up in the blond pics(full face, lips, eyes) and you look like your out with friends having a nice time, and that might be why you feel better.
In the last pic you just look like your home bored with not much to do, and only base make-up and eye's done (and no smile).

That can make a world of difference in your perception about yourself. :flower:

share801
January 28th, 2011, 01:38 AM
If I looked like that in a pixie I'd get it tomorrow.

Unfortunately, besides *looking* bad on me, I *feel* bad with short hair and it shows. I feel more *me* with longer hair. I'm pretty sure some people think I should cut it because it is too long or too thin or too something, but as long as I feel right this way, this is the way it will stay.

Gilly
January 28th, 2011, 01:46 AM
I LOVEyour favourite pixie, it really looks good on you, I also like the brown but think that the style drags you down a bit.

What about a brown pixie??

If you did not like the colour you could go back to blonde!:cheese:

Katze
January 28th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Okay, the way I see it, when you have blonde hair, you are lit up. Bright, smiling, happy. In the picture of you with dark hair you look to me as if you are subdued, almost hiding from yourself.

What she said. The color suits your complexion, but you don't look happy in the pic, so it is hard to compare with the glowing, grinning blonde pics!

We have the same kind of hair and it is really, really hard to deal with, but, IMO, also won't get long if it is bleached. I struggle with a LOT of the things you mention - I was a bleach head for 20 years - and just felt prettier, younger, more vibrant, more attractive, etc etc as a blonde. Plus, I have blonde eyebrows. NOT FAIR.

Recently winter was getting me down and I thought about trying to bleach 'subtle' streaks in again, to get some more light and shine into my appearance. I asked DH, who said, 'absolutely not! Then you'll have to start all over again on the blonde bandwagon, and in two years you'll be bleached blonde to the max' (he's right...). I asked him if he didn't find my natural color dull and boring, to which he answered, 'your hair color is pretty! And much prettier than fake blonde!'

Ultimately the decision is up to you. For me, I look better with long hair, so that means bleach and dye is pretty much out, for my hair type. I am still struggling to get it past BSL.

If you feel you look better with short hair, then you CAN get away with bleaching, dyeing, having it purple, whatever YOU want. It's only people trying to go permanently longer who should cut out the chemicals - short hair doesn't need that kind of babying.

good luck!

thisischristine
January 28th, 2011, 03:17 AM
What about trying some head bands or wraps in cool colours? You'll still get the hair back off your face look whilst growing it out ready for updos! They look great for spring and summer.

jasper
January 28th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Yeah, no fair not smiling in the last picture. The blonde pixie is cute! But the smile is what makes you look great.

Mesmerise
January 28th, 2011, 04:54 AM
It's hard to tell, as it's just one pic of you with the longer brown hair...and your hair isn't THAT long in it! I think you never really know what you'll look like or how you feel with long hair until you get it long! It looks as if you're in a bit of an in-between blah length... I admit that I preferred my short crop to the "growing out" stages... but I really love my hair longer!

Sometimes I'm tempted to cut again, and then I remember how bad the mid stages look! Until you're past those, you can't really tell how you'll feel with long hair! You could perhaps experiment with some clip in extensions or something if you want to know what you'll look like with long hair (or maybe a long wig... but every wig I've tried just looks odd on me and not like real hair!).

Even go out in extensions one night and see how you feel then, and whether it has a positive effect on you! Going out I feel great with long hair, and I felt great with short hair...but in between...blah... ;)

If I were you I'd stick with the growth for a bit longer... maybe experiment with some extensions, and then gauge how you look/feel with the long hair. If you love it GREAT if you don't, that cropped blonde pixie is still waiting for you ;) (and yes, I agree it suits you!).

myrrhmaiden
January 28th, 2011, 05:22 AM
I'm not sure which I prefer. I think if you do go blonde, stick with the cool range, ash and platinums. I'm wondering if you might like the brown better if it was a little cooler. It looks a little too warm to me. I would ash it out. I picture an annie lennox style cool brown sophisticated pixie looking good on you.

fairy_ends_girl
January 28th, 2011, 05:55 AM
You are at the stage of hair growing that is so difficult...the in between stage...This is the stage where almost everyone tends to cut. I know when i always reached the shoulders I would chop back to a bob. Please try to hang in there until APL or even close to BSL. I think the brown looks lovely and when it its longer it will look even lovelier. Why don't you wear those funky glasses now with some cool head scarves or some cute barrettes to show off your personality better? If you can bun, get some funky hair sticks with danglies. :)

Intransigentia
January 28th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I'm glad you figured out what was going on for you! One tiny suggestion: buy your hair something fun and shiny, a pretty barrette or some rhinestone bobby pins or something, just to feel like you're doing /something/.

And hang in there! It always feels like forever this time of year, but spring will be here before you know it.

HairFaerie
January 28th, 2011, 10:06 AM
OK, as requested...(to be fair!) I took some pictures last night making an honest attempt of smiling! I also did it with & without glasses. So, based on the blond pixie in the first post and these from last night...do I look better with shorter hair?
(I know I am at an in between stage and I know my hair is far from "long", but I sometimes wonder if I am wasting my time & effort by growing if I really do look better with short hair.)
OK, on to the pics:

Intransigentia
January 28th, 2011, 10:45 AM
In response to those pictures: it's all about your smile. With that smile you could run around in a clown wig and still look gorgeous.

SwordWomanRiona
January 28th, 2011, 11:17 AM
But - going by what you said about how a blonde pixie made you feel, I'd go with that. It really sounds like that was what you were happiest with, and if your hair doesn't make you happy, well, what's it for. :)
I agree with that. We can give our opinions, but at the end it's the style you find yourself better and happier with what really matters :).

Thanks everyone for the input so far! I appreciate it.

Some of you noticed something very important which is the very reason I am considering going back to this style/color...I smiled a lot more with the short blond! I felt more sassy and playful.

I know ultimately it is my decision alone, but I wanted input to help me decide. Lately I have just been looking in the mirror thinking "This just isn't me!" and my personality seems to be more subdued now (someone mentioned that) and I don't like that feeling! I am definitely a more vibrant, bubbly person and it seems like the blond pixie reflected that a lot more.

It seems you're quite decided, then go for it! :) I personally agree with you, you look more free and happy with your blond pixie. I think you look really nice like that!

bunzfan
January 28th, 2011, 11:33 AM

Hi Hairfaerie i just wanted to say i have been exactly were you are and your at the most frustrating stage stick with it and maybe find ways of wearing it up if you can, at your length i had a long bob cut to make it easier growing it out. I'm basically saying once it gets longer APL+ it so much easier and i grow mine from a pixie but had several *cuts* so my hair had some style to it. Good luck :)

Tressie
January 28th, 2011, 11:45 AM
You don't look as happy in the last pic? It's hard to make a fair comparison because of that, however, I think YOU like your hair better blonde and shorter, so that's the real key, IMHO!

You have to be happy, or reasonably so, with your look to project that confidence, and I see that in the first three pics.

If you go with the blonde you seem to prefer, I like the first color and style the best of those posted~ Good luck! (o:

Deborah
January 28th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I think the brown hair is much prettier with your coloring and eyes. As to length, I think it's good that you are going to continue growing. The length you are at now is difficult to work with, and not long enough to see how long hair looks on you.

Once it it long enough to try some updos, I bet you will start to really like it.

Good luck with whatever you do!

annieangel149
January 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM
well i was going to post...... go with blonde pixie but seeing your latest pics i would say that you can pull off both! so the question is: what do u feel more comfortable with?

btw! u have the most amazing smile!

share801
January 28th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I still like pixie best, but it was interesting to see the second set with good smiles.

christine1989
January 28th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I absolutly love the pics of you with red, wavy hair like in your avatar. I think that length and color are really stunning on you- I think it stands out much more than the blonde but it's all about what makes you feel best. :)

Cailie
January 28th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Not a photoshop pro at all, but I do like the long hair on you !
(I cooled down the color, maybe a cooler brown would look good on you too !)

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1296275971.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1296275971.jpg/1.html)http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1296275955.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1296275955.jpg/1.html)

Tia2010
January 28th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I think the darker hair brings out your eyes better than the blond , but I do like the pixie. In the pictures you seem much happier with the pixie cut. It's like looking at two different people.. One looks extremely happy the other not so much.

The length you are at now was hard for me to grow out from. I couldn't really imagine what it would look like long and it seemed easier to cut it back to a length I knew I liked than to keep letting it grow , especially on the days I was hating it !

I say start the two week rule and see how you feel. If you do choose to cut I would suggest a darker color pixie to really let your eyes stand out.

LHC100
January 29th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I like picture #1 the best!

Me, too - hands down! (Maybe it's a Southern thang...)

I don't understand the "dark-makes-your-eyes-pop" comments. In that first picture, your gorgeous blue eyes (your strongest feature, to me) don't just pop, they LEAP out! This is because there is simply more of a contrast between blonde and blue, than between the brown and blue, so blonde makes them really stand out.

With just a little bit more height on top, picture/style #1 would be... smashing!

(I almost hate to say all that, because the short blond style will require constant cutting and chemical treatments. So I think you're smart to wait through the "awkward" stage, with some headbands or something, to really see... You can have "short" styles once it's longer, that will also accentuate your eyes, even in a dark color.)

lascuba
January 29th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I love the darker color on you! And I think you look lovely with both lengths...I really don't think one is more flattering than the other, they both suit you. But you need to go with what makes you happiest.

chopandchange
January 29th, 2011, 08:19 AM
My own "honest opinion" is that the blonde is far too harsh for your face and the shortness & spikiness of the cut are rather masculine.

I would not have left a comment (for fear of hurting your feelings or being jumped on by the masses) were it not that you requested people's honest opinions!

I personally think you should keep growing your hair longer to have nice flowing, girly, feminine hair, but it's your hair & your decision!

HairFaerie
January 29th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Not a photoshop pro at all, but I do like the long hair on you !
(I cooled down the color, maybe a cooler brown would look good on you too !)

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1296275971.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1296275971.jpg/1.html)http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1296275955.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1296275955.jpg/1.html)

Oh, wow! Very cool! I do like the darker brown!
Thank you for this!

HairFaerie
January 29th, 2011, 08:22 AM
My own "honest opinion" is that the blonde is far too harsh for your face and the shortness & spikiness of the cut are rather masculine.

I would not have left a comment (for fear of hurting your feelings or being jumped on by the masses) were it not that you requested people's honest opinions!

I personally think you should keep growing your hair longer to have nice flowing, girly, feminine hair, but it's your hair & your decision!

Thank you for that! No hurt feelings here! I did want honest opinions so no offense was taken by any of them. :)

lapushka
January 29th, 2011, 08:26 AM
It's definitely different. The short blond is much more playful, kind of artsy and creative, edgy, and it has an energetic, happy feel about it (love the 2nd pic), while IMMHO the darker color gives you more of a serious, grown-up, look. Not a lot of people can pull off really short, spiky hair without looking masculine. You can. The 2nd pic, the look with the glasses is awesome!

I can't really decide between the two, but if you're happier with the blond and your hair now is getting you down, then go back to the style you like and felt happiest with.

milagro
January 31st, 2011, 04:54 AM
OK, as requested...(to be fair!) I took some pictures last night making an honest attempt of smiling! I also did it with & without glasses. So, based on the blond pixie in the first post and these from last night...do I look better with shorter hair?
(I know I am at an in between stage and I know my hair is far from "long", but I sometimes wonder if I am wasting my time & effort by growing if I really do look better with short hair.)
OK, on to the pics:

I liked shorter hair in the previous pics more but now I've changed my opinion. I was clearly biased by the spirit of them :) You look awesome with longer dark hair as well and it is very healthy and promise to make a beautiful thick mane very soon :flower: Just keep growing and SMILE :D
PS Those glasses are very flattering, love this photo.

Anje
January 31st, 2011, 10:32 AM
OK, I've just skimmed the thread...

Personally, I like you better with the brown, but I think you could stand to go a bit cooler. Maybe a medium ash brown. Not as dark as Callie's photoshop, but I think she's got a similar idea.

ETA: I'll admit a bit of personal bias here... I tend to prefer people with their natural color or a bit darker, rather than significantly lighter. Your aesthetics may vary from mine, of course.

Toadstool
January 31st, 2011, 10:42 AM
I much prefer the short blonde on you- to me it makes you look young and fun.

WaitingSoLong
January 31st, 2011, 01:37 PM
I have been following this thread to see what decision you would make! You made the one I would make...when it doubt, wait it out.

I can see you are ONE OF THOSE :D that can wear any hair length it seems.

Here are my observations (I have no suggestions).

1. You look younger the longer your hair is.

2. The pixie/blonde was a much more fun and happy look for you

3. The longer hair gives you an air of elegance and grace

4. I am not sure the color mattered either way, but the short blonde seems more femine as opposed to what I imagine the pixie brown would look like (trying to picture the long hair and blonde together).

5. You have a face sort of like mine. I can look pretty ...glum? sad? maybe pensive? but my smile makes ALL the difference in the world. I had to be told this, I never figured it on my own. I am not a "smiler" naturally. I hope you are, because WOW what a gorgeous smile you have! Super envy here!

If you have never had long hair, you may not know if it feels like you unless you are willing to wait and try it out. I have been through every length up to (or rather, down to) where I am now, several different cuts/styles, colors, perms, etc. And I know that long is ME. I feel like ME with it and like an imposter without it. I think it is a matter of trial and error to find what is YOU.

And I thought I would add that I suffer from SAD (seasonal depression, and I get it BAD) and taking vitamin D has helped me HUGELY. For some reason I never tried it until this year. And I actually did not try it because of SAD, I went on it because my Dr. told me to start taking calcium and have to have D with it.

I am sort of anti-vitamin, I am one who believes a proper diet is the best way to get vitamins and do I knew I was getting a good dose of D just from food. But apparently it was not enough. Just a thought!

NouvelleNymphe2
January 31st, 2011, 01:54 PM
Of course like the others have said, do what makes you feel most comfortable and pretty. I like the darker hair, and you have GREAT hair! It looks so healthy and thick long, and the blond does not. IMHO give it some time. And try different things like half up (with a pretty celtic flexi), low and high pony, bun, braids, etc. Sure you'll get a lot of whispy strands hanging down, but I think they're pretty and look natural. Best of luck!

Celtic Morla
January 31st, 2011, 02:03 PM
I htink you have some veyr classic 40's looks. There's a place called Fedora Lounge I think they experiment a lot with classic 40's hairstyles. I htink you should experiment and mearn hwo to do your makeup in this style and it will very much change your look positively. Your lipstick does not suit you witht he dark hair, it's too light IMO.With your wave and face you can look very classy movie star makeover. It does tkae a change of mindset. My SIL had this issue when she started dyeing her hair blond she stillw ears he rmakeup as if she were abrunette and it just never looks right and she won't let me near her..LOL ..my DH and I sued to do Photography and we would do model portfolios and quite often i would help with makeup and th efunny thing is th egirls would be shocked because I rarely wore it myself but made then look great!!

GlassWidow
January 31st, 2011, 02:25 PM
I just wanted to chime in and say I LOVE LOVE LOVE the color of your hair in your signature, and the new pictures of you from a couple of days ago are just gorgeous! The waves and color are beautiful on you, and your smile totally makes a difference. I think the color of your sweater is key, too. That blue picks up the color of your eyes.