PDA

View Full Version : This may provoke a jealous mob, but...

Kaya
January 26th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Is it possible to not get split ends? I mean, I've never been hardcore about this whole S&D thing. Heck, I've honestly never done it. But the random moments when I am examining/playing my ends, I haven't seen anything similar to a split end. I just see tapered new growth ends, or blunt ends from my last trim.
My hair is only BSL and I'm aiming for TBL at least, if not classic. Maybe split ends happen more at certain lengths? :ponder: Or am I not looking hard enough?

milagro
January 26th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Why not? If you look for and don't find them they are very probably not there :)

And logically, the longer hair the more chance it will split cause it's been exposed to damaging factors for longer time. But it also depends on individual strength/thickness/routine/whatever.

Wanderer09
January 26th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I had no splits at BSL either. Now that I'm past waist, they pop up all the time and I have to keep S&Ding and trimming. So length is certainly a factor. You may just have really strong, healthy hair though. :) If ends have been damaged, they're more likely to split and fray over time.

Madora
January 26th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Split ends are a fact of life. You're bound to have some variety of split - somewhere on your head. Of course you can trim them away, but hair is not indestructible and will eventually split. The harder you are on your hair, the more likelihood of splits occuring.

Annalouise
January 26th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Kaya, do you brush or comb your hair?
I think its true what others said which is that if your hair is really healthy it shouldn't split much at all. My ends which are a product of my old shampoo everyday routine and are dry and therefore when I brush or comb they tangle and then can be easily snapped.
But when the hair is healthy and moisturized it doesn't tangle as much and then when you comb or brush it the hair isn't prone to breaking.
That's my guess. That is why I'm trying to use more gentle cleansing methods so that by the time my hair is five years old its not completly dried out.:)
I believe that is how people achieve the long lengths.
Some people do have really thick hair strands though and that helps. If your hair is fine then it can break or dry out more easily.
That's my guess? I don't know for sure though.

jojo
January 26th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I started getting splits at BSL but the longer you get, the more you find. Older hair can be like 5 years old on the ends, weather, manipulation etc cause splits.

For somebody to find them at shorter than bsl id put down to damage from dyes, bleach etc.

Good for you if are not finding any but it is possible for hair to split, up the hair shaft where you cannot see them, splits do not always happen on the ends.

But you are obviously doing something right if you can't find any.

Rabya-Khadija
January 26th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I haven't had a trim or S&D for three+ years and I have very few split ends... but my hair is a bit coarse, they are there somewhere I just don't look for them :)

milagro
January 26th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Rabya-Khadija, now you're the one who should be jealously mobbed! :D

Rabya-Khadija
January 26th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Haha! Maybe not :p

Amraann
January 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I have known people with hair beyond waist that had few or no splits. At that point they were maintaining so they did get trims every so often.

Also I think it has to do with your hair. For example virgin hair that is never touched with heat appliances is probably not as prone to hair that is treated with chemicals etc.
Also hair texture etc comes into play.

FluffSpider
January 26th, 2011, 12:18 PM
You can get splits after a LONG time if your genetics is good enough
I have this friend, she's an international dancer-awards and stuff. she often goes to competitions. Hair do involves: hell of alot of teasing, mastic glue for sequins or 'diamonds' and one bottle of hardcore hair spray-a whole bottle per contest. Yes.Then she rips it out of her hair, and before she dyed it she used NO conditioner, and had NO splits. I searched hard, couldn't find ANY. Also, her hair grows about 20 cm per year(I kid you not), it's a solid iii with barely ANY taper. at BSL. Even now, chemically fried and straightened to God and back, it's still in pretty good shape

LHC100
January 26th, 2011, 12:25 PM
At APL, I can't find any either, but I've done WO / very infrequent actual shampoos for almost a year now. I've only started using a bit of coconut oil and coconut oil shampoo very recently for a little extra conditioning (and not too often, at that).

In years past, I've always been able to find some split ends, though. I'm pleasantly surprised not to have any now.

After an awkward year of growing it out, I had over three inches trimmed, mainly to get rid of irritating, rag-tag different lengths, left over from a short style (won't be as much from now on, but I DO believe in regular, shallow trims, every six months or so). Maybe there were some there, at the ends - if so, they are now gone. I hope to keep it that way...

Annalouise
January 26th, 2011, 12:26 PM
You can get splits after a LONG time if your genetics is good enough
I have this friend, she's an international dancer-awards and stuff. she often goes to competitions. Hair do involves: hell of alot of teasing, mastic glue for sequins or 'diamonds' and one bottle of hardcore hair spray-a whole bottle per contest. Yes.Then she rips it out of her hair, and before she dyed it she used NO conditioner, and had NO splits. I searched hard, couldn't find ANY. Also, her hair grows about 20 cm per year(I kid you not), it's a solid iii with barely ANY taper. at BSL. Even now, chemically fried and straightened to God and back, it's still in pretty good shape

That's annoying!;):D She must do something right, did you ask her what she washes with and how often?

krissykins
January 26th, 2011, 12:27 PM
*rounds up jealous mob*

CHAAAARGE!!!

:p But seriously, you are very lucky. I agree with the others, there's probably not any splits. It may happen in the future, it may not, but I say just enjoy your luck in the mean time ;)

mkmulwee
January 26th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I guess I'm extremely lucky because I've never had serious damage even though I consistently died my hair for 7 years and even bleached my hair four times in one day.

princessp
January 26th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I haven't had a trim or S&D for three+ years and I have very few split ends... but my hair is a bit coarse, they are there somewhere I just don't look for them :)

Well mob me too, because my hair is just like this! :p I don't brush and only wash 1x week though. Maybe this is why?

milagro
January 26th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Well mob me too, because my hair is just like this! :p
Queue up ladies, we split-heads may well be minority here! :D

This is a valid point about brushing, I think. I don't brush as well, since lately I don't even comb often, hope it will prevent split ends in future.

misspriss
January 26th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I have been from chin to waist to BSL to waist to ear, and I have seen maybe 1 or 2 splits the whole time.

I never brushed though, maybe once a week or less. Now it is freshly cut, so I doubt I will see any!

Rabya-Khadija
January 26th, 2011, 03:05 PM
OOoh princessp I wash it too much, but never brush nowadays.. just drag my fingers through it getting stressed!

mellie89
January 26th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I honestly have never seen a split hair on my head before. Granted, it has never been longer than mid-back length. I also have never gone more than a year without a decent trim.

Some people seem to be more prone to getting splits than others. Keep checking for them as your hair gets longer. ;)

spidermom
January 26th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I can find split ends every time I look for them, even at shorter lengths. I refuse to believe that other people, especially people who bleach, dye, tease, heat-style, etc, don't get split ends. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. (don't take this too seriously; maybe I'm envious)

lascuba
January 26th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Even when my hair was long and chemically processed I got very few split ends. My last haircut, I went to a new stylist and told her how much I wanted cut off, telling her about my damaged ends from a blowout a couple of months before...I had ended up with a few sections being bone straight at the ends. As she was finishing the cut, she said could barely find any split ends, which surprised me.

spidermom
January 26th, 2011, 05:14 PM
O.k., that does it! I think I've figured this out! I've been so gentle with my hair that it's become namby-pamby, like silk from the butts of chinese worms! From now on it's bleach and heat-styling tools and wearing it down all the time and plowing through it with a razor! That'll toughen it up.

LadyJennifer
January 26th, 2011, 05:32 PM
LOL Spidermom!

I rarely get splits, and I check often. My hair is only barely BSL now, but even when it was at hip, I never found any splits. I thought my ends getting rough was cause for me getting a trim, but it was really just build up from using 'cones. I haven't trimmed in over a year now, and I've found one or two white tips in the last few months. My hair is fine/medium, but low porosity (which I think has something to do with it).

Aliped
January 26th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Well, I never trim, my hair is virgin and hip length and I have no splits. I look for them, but they aren't there. Maybe because I wear my hair in a bun with the ends tucked in every day ....
When I was a teenager I chemically dyed my hair frequently and had splits then, so its not as though its unsplittable, but without heat or dyes and looked after and conditioned, I don't get splits either ...

Coan-Teen
January 26th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I too can never find splits on my hair. Even when I was younger and I had hair to my waist when I would wash everyday with shampoo and heat style (blowdry and flat iron) and dye it once every two weeks or so my hair never had splits. Some people just don't get them as easily. Consider yourself lucky and enjoy it! I do. ^_^

Spidermom, I can give you some pointers on how best to abuse your hair if you like. I'm pretty good at it.

HintOfMint
January 26th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I'm not envious at all. I like my split ends, I think they give me character.

ddiana1979
January 26th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I have very, very few. They'd be easy to see too, as my hair is very dark brown. I think I've found less than 20 my entire life (including a long period where I had WL hair)? My stylist doesn't see them on me either (and believe me, he looks really hard, because he keeps trying to convince me that getting my hair trimmed every year or so isn't sufficient). ;) That said, in 32 years, I can count the number of times I've heat styled my hair on both hands, rarely (now NEVER) blow fryed, & have only had my hair professionally lightened once.

pepperminttea
January 26th, 2011, 08:28 PM
*rounds up jealous mob*

CHAAAARGE!!!

:p

*signs up, paints half face blue*

Forward! :p :D

(OP: You might be one of the lucky few, or it might have been your routine, who knows. Either way, enjoy it! :) )

irishlady
January 26th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I never get split ends anymore. I used to in the days of straightening it, but since I don't use heat anymore...nope nothing. :shrug:

McFearless
January 26th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Yes it is very possible to have no splits. I know I only started getting them after frying my hair everyday.

Consider yourself lucky!

ericthegreat
January 26th, 2011, 09:28 PM
O.k., that does it! I think I've figured this out! I've been so gentle with my hair that it's become namby-pamby, like silk from the butts of chinese worms! From now on it's bleach and heat-styling tools and wearing it down all the time and plowing through it with a razor! That'll toughen it up.

LOL spidermom, the funny thing is you've just described exactly what I've been doing to my hair! :p I've bleached it from jet black to blonde, and I occasionally blow it out straight and flat iron it. Maybe you're actually on to something with this 'damage makes it stronger' theory. ;)

Ven
January 26th, 2011, 10:30 PM
You have to have the right lighting to see the pesky things. In some light I have none at all, but if the sun is shining in at an angle oh boy, do I have splits!

alwayssmiling
January 27th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Ven this is what I was going to say. ^^^^

I keep thinking I'm over the worst of my damage only to catch a climpse of my hair in the mirror in our porch when the morning sun is shining in - it shows EVERY damaged end. When I S&D I rarely find a forked split - but what I do find are a lot of dots that snap with only a tiny bit of handling. Or very bent ends that seem to be hanging on for dear life. I S&D almost daily so I guess thats why these broken ends never get the chance to turn into split ends??

luxepiggy
January 27th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Yes, it is possible - I rarely get split ends. Since joining LHC I've looked for them much more frequently, and I've found 1 so far since August. (^(oo)^)

ETA: I've been somewhere between waist & tailbone for all of my teenage & adult life, and I do still blow-dry every time I wash, but I don't brush or comb my hair at all.

hibiscus
January 27th, 2011, 03:03 AM
---------------------------------

mira-chan
January 27th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I had no spits till my hair was past tailbone or so. Then again it's coarse and I've never even blow dried it. No brushing either, comb or finger comb only.

ChatNoir
January 27th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I'm reaching APL soon, and I haven't trimmed/S&D'd in half a year now. I have noticed some tapering due to hairloss and new growth though.
I think it is possible, but since you're BSL you should take good care of it. The better the care, the longer the splits will stay away :)

cataphract
January 27th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I find that after I shampoo/conditioner I get splits, but if I stick to bs/lemon juice I don't. I also use a horn comb infrequently and wear my hair up about 90% of the time.

FluffSpider
January 27th, 2011, 11:45 AM
That's annoying!;):D She must do something right, did you ask her what she washes with and how often?

YES. I HAVE asked her what she does with her hair. want to know?
she used to: wash once a week, shampoo only. after contests, she ripped through her hair with brushes/fine combs to get out the gems attached, and the glue. Also, teasing was a big part of her life...
now: chemically dyed brown-black, hair straightener ever so often( I don't think there's a week when she doesn't straighten) and when she needs to wash her hair away from home she uses NO conditioner.
she does no updos and blowdries alot.
It's the genes, damnit! I mean I've been babying the crap out of it, trims only, and she chopped 3 times 10 or more cm right off, and she caught up with me.

Annalouise
January 27th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Spidermom, you're funny.:D

FluffSpider - no conditioner eh? Very interesting...:)

FluffSpider
January 27th, 2011, 12:57 PM
None. But now she has horrible tangles-yet still no splits.

Annalouise
January 27th, 2011, 01:02 PM
None. But now she has horrible tangles-yet still no splits.

lol.:D I trimmed off my split ends and then stopped using conditioner and I have not had any new ones yet.;)
And yes I have tangles.:D

Chamy
January 27th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I dont get splits either. But i do get bent hairs that tangle up the hair, and those bends i s&d away.
If you dont see them they're probably not there, so congrats! :) But it does'nt hurt to look for them since splits might not show up until you reach a certain length.

Alvrodul
January 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I do get split ends, but I have the impression that most of those splits are where there is chemical damage. And there have also been some where I had mechanical damage from bad detangling tools (cheap plastic brushes and combs with seams! :scared:)
I did a fair bit of S&D this autumn and winter, and the amount of splits has gone noticeably down - I think I have managed to get most of the splits from the bad brushes and combs, but the splits from chemical damage still recurs, but not as badly. So I am definitely seeing improvement, though I suspect I may always have some splits in my fine, delicate hair.

lunalovegood
January 27th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I used to get splits, even when my hair was shorter than BSL. It's now been 7 months since my last trim and I haven't got any. I was never a big user of straighteners, but I used to blowdry every time I washed, so I think giving that up has really helped.

Joliebaby
January 27th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I don't get splits either. Which is good because I can't stand them, I'd be forever looking for them, and probably not grow my hair very long because I'd be trimming away all the growth :D
I've only ever found a few splits when my ends were very dry and damaged from chemical abuse and I'd been going without any trims for a long time.

xoxophelia
January 27th, 2011, 03:08 PM
It is definitely possible to not get split ends on short hair as well as long hair. Some people also think they don't get split ends but then find out their hair instead breaks off easily which is another reason to be more gentle with handling.

WaitingSoLong
January 27th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Just wanted to say that I bragged about no split ends until I hit hip. Oh well, It had to end sooner or later ;)

Macaroni
January 27th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I've never had split ends, honest. Not at shoulder length, apl, or currently at waist. I'm very gentle with my hair, no heat, no brushing, self-trim every three months.

Mesmerise
January 27th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I never had split ends as a child (I'd hear people talking about split ends and wondered what they were!) it was only when I started too much chemical processing that I started to get them.

Now, I don't have too many (my hair is a bit past BSL) even though there's some chemical damage, but I can always find some when I hunt!

I'm hoping that once all the chemical dye etc. is grown out (and I'm henna only) I won't get anymore!

EdG
January 27th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I don't get split ends, ever.

My ends are fragile and will break before they split.

I think the tendency for hair to split is determined by genetics.
Ed

Lianna
January 28th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Some people have stronger hair. I have a cousin with TBL bleached light blonde hair (from light brown), no visible splits ends to me.

Melisande
January 28th, 2011, 07:05 AM
No danger of a jealous mob for this middle aged, thin haired matron ;-) - but I haven't seen a split end in my hair since I was 16 or 17 and really didn't treat my hair very well.

It seems my hair is really not prone to split. I don't trim more often than once a year or every nine months, I do wear it up most of the time and oil it well. I eat healthy food, dilute my shampoo and follow the old lace rule. But many people do the same and still have some splits from time to time. I don't think it's such a big deal. Nobody ever notices - I at least have never ever noticed split ends on anybody I know and learnt only here that it's such a wide spread phenomenon.

I do have frizz, btw. But somehow my ends are nice and closed.

GRU
January 28th, 2011, 08:05 AM
My splits are much rarer than my fairy knots since I stopped brushing and shampooing.

But I also find them more and more as my hair gets longer.

Deborah
January 28th, 2011, 12:19 PM
My hair is below TB length. I just looked at the last six inches or so held up close to a light, and I can't find any. I probably have a couple hidden somewhere in there, but I cannot see them.

I think in my case, it has to do with hair type, not any particular care or handling finesse. My hair is extremely fine (think baby or toddler hair, just lots more of it), very slippery and shiny. It's pretty, but it can be a pain too; difficult to 'corral' and control. I think this type of hair is not prone to splitting or breaking much. I brush a couple times every day, and comb sometimes, mostly just after a wash, or if I'm out and only have my comb with me.

bunzfan
January 28th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Before i found all the great advice here i used to get split ends all the time, but since i started wearing it up and putting oils on my ends i don't get them:D

hibiscus
January 28th, 2011, 06:01 PM
------------------------------------

jeanniet
January 28th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I get splits, but not a whole lot. I tend to get more of those weakened areas where the hair can be bent in an L shape and then breaks easily. I S & D those as much as I can. I'm not sure why I get one and not the other as much. No heat styling or anything like that, although I think I still have a couple of inches of hair that needs to be trimmed off because I was pretty abusive to it while attempting to beat it into submission before I discovered sleep caps and satin pillowcases. Picture a harried middle-aged woman driving kids to school while ripping a brush through her iii hair that's been wildly tangling itself overnight. :p

christine1989
January 28th, 2011, 06:15 PM
There is only one thing that gives me split ends and that is heat. All it takes is a few days of heat styling and my hair will split all over. Fortunatly it won't split naturally. Since stopping heat styling a few years ago I've never had a split end. Hopefully that trend holds steady as my hair gets longer.

squiggyflop
January 28th, 2011, 06:19 PM
i didnt have any really at bsl.. at past tailbone im now with 80% splits, i really should trim but then ill be at tailbone forever..

now um i dont expect many splits when i hit classic, why? because i will be trimming every month.. they wont have time to form..

Mountaingrrl
January 28th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Before i found all the great advice here i used to get split ends all the time, but since i started wearing it up and putting oils on my ends i don't get them:D

Same here. This is what's going to keep me growing it long!

Lilli
January 29th, 2011, 06:45 AM
When I had BSL hair, I had no split ends. Even having permed and straightened my hair in one week (2 years ago), the ends didn't split. Parts broke off, but it doesn't split up from the bottom.

akuamoonmaui
January 29th, 2011, 12:33 PM
No splits for me either. I'm glad this thread was posted, 'cause I was wondering but not brave enough to ask for fear of mob retaliation, too.

Up until this year I was a dust bunny (dusting only), maybe that has something to do with it. I'm trying the no trims in 2011 challenge, so I'm curious to see what happens. If they start, I'm going to have to dust.

jojo
April 27th, 2011, 10:52 AM

HA HA! this made me proper belly laugh! what we need is to send our hair to boot camp and toughen them up, spare the damage and spoil the hair. And I am insanely jealous of anybody without split ends too!

racrane
April 27th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I'm jealous of people without split ends, too! I don't get them too much at shoulder length but after BSL they pop up. Very, very jealous. You lucky people!!!

Biedronka
April 27th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I have been S&Ding like a madwoman this week and it has really helped,but I know there are still splits in there even though it is hard to find them.Personally I think that the longer the hair,the harder it is to keep it 100% split-free.That doesn't mean long hair can't be super healthy and awesome looking though.''silently joins jealous mob'':eyebrows:

Dizzy_zzz
April 27th, 2011, 11:46 AM
The splits all come to party and make babies on my head! ;D If I so much as look at a hair funny it cowers and splits.
I'm awfully jealous of everybody who doesn't get split ends. You lucky people. :)

Kristamommyx3
April 27th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I think some people are more prone to split ends and some are more prone to get what my mother and I call "whispy ends". I only rarely see even one or two on my hair, when I"m looking. But, I do get very worn out ends, like I said. I am a healthy hair freak, and so maybe I never leave it alone long enough for splits to appear. When I do see them, they are always in the front angled layers around my face, I imagine because they get touched more. But only like two maybe three at most, and I have chemically treated baby fine hair, go figure. Now that I've said this, I'll probably wake up tomorrow with three hundred split ends!! :d

ladyfey
April 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I have knee length hair and rarely see a split end, so it's not unheard of! :)

ladylovecraft
April 27th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I'm at about BSL now, and though I've been taking MUCH better care of my hair than I ever have, I don't have split ends now, or have I ever. I think it REALLY strongly depends on hair texture/strength.

There was a time (before I chopped most of the damage off) where my hair was so fried when it was wet it would literally snap off, but I never had a single split end. My hair simply doesn't split. Get damaged if I mess with it too much? Of course it does. But split ends just aren't a part of my hair, at any condition.

Chetanlaiho
April 27th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Do you use cone products? They may be hiding some splits. I had very few split ends but I'm coming off cones and they're popping up everywhere now xD (S&D to the rescue!) I haven't even properly clarified yet because I'm afraid of how much splits I'll end up having xD (I've been off cones for months ^^;)

If that's not the case, enjoy your luck and hope it lasts ^_^ I think BSL is where the mechanical damage starts for a lot of people because it starts brushing up on chairs and stuff, but if you keep it up then that shouldn't be an issue :)

GRU
April 27th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Do you use cone products? They may be hiding some splits. I had very few split ends but I'm coming off cones and they're popping up everywhere now xD (S&D to the rescue!) I haven't even properly clarified yet because I'm afraid of how much splits I'll end up having xD (I've been off cones for months ^^;)

Anyone else amused by the similarities between the bolded statement above and an alcoholic saying, "I've been off the bottle for three weeks now" or a heroin addict saying, "I've been off the junk for a whole month now!" :lol:

Lianna
April 27th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Do you use cone products? They may be hiding some splits.

Why assume the OP has splits? :roll: Cones don't hide damage for everyone. Maybe you're actually getting splits because you lack the protection cones use to give you.

boukje
April 28th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I never had split ends when my hair was between BSL and waist (which I always had before I came to LHC) then at around hip length I had some and when I reached tailbone quite a lot now at almost classic I just found 100+ yesterday but when I trim more often (which I will do in 2 months from now) they all go away. They seem to be at the end mostly and not a lot at shorter lengths so I think it is just normal wear and tear. I used to never have them because my hair ends weren't old enough.

vanillabones
April 28th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I hide my splits with cones. I'm not going to beat around the bush. Bleaching it white it was a totally different texture, when I used a protein pack from Sally's after 2 weeks it returned to my normal texture. 6 months later on LHC I tried oging cone free and 1/2 my head was splits ^_^ I had to S&D chunks.

All the damage wasn't out but now I know to hide them with cones. They hide well, you'd think my hair was actually healthy. I use my v05 cone-free conditioner sometimes and if I use it too often I see more splits again just on the back of my head this time thank goodness.

So try not to fool yourself- people that have bleached and feel their hair is okay... it feels okay it may look okay but try going cone-free and you will see your real texture :) (but don't cut it all off like me unless it's already short... save those ratty ends until your next trim hehe..)

elbow chic
April 28th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I had never seen a split end, or anything resembling a split end, till about last week. I STILL haven't seen a real "split" end but I've snipped off a couple that shot off at a wonky right angle and another that had a rippled "bubble" about an inch from the end.

It annoys me slightly that all these years I've been cutting off "dead ends" at APL. They weren't split or damaged, just in need of some moisture. Live and learn!

KatiSasha
April 28th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I had never seen a split end, or anything resembling a split end, till about last week. I STILL haven't seen a real "split" end but I've snipped off a couple that shot off at a wonky right angle and another that had a rippled "bubble" about an inch from the end.

It annoys me slightly that all these years I've been cutting off "dead ends" at APL. They weren't split or damaged, just in need of some moisture. Live and learn!

I know what you mean. I just did a microtrim all over today b/c my end were starting to get tangly. As far as splits - I maybe saw 4 or 5, but those ends HAD to go. I'm getting rid of my chem treated hair and still have about 10 inches to go.

alwayssmiling
April 28th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Anyone else amused by the similarities between the bolded statement above and an alcoholic saying, "I've been off the bottle for three weeks now" or a heroin addict saying, "I've been off the junk for a whole month now!" :lol:

sorry I needed to say that made me laugh out loud :p

MrsGuther
April 28th, 2011, 04:23 PM
If you haven't been one to dye, highlight/bleach, perm, flat iron or do any other damaging habits to your hair you may not have many splits at all. Good for you. :)

Lianna
April 28th, 2011, 05:00 PM
So try not to fool yourself- people that have bleached and feel their hair is okay... it feels okay it may look okay but try going cone-free and you will see your real texture :)

My hair is bleached underneath a lot of dye and henna glosses and acts/feels the same with or without cones, slightly shinier with cones. Been almost a year coneless.

I have a question for all of you who hides damage with cones. Let's say one day you see a bunch of splits, don't cut them, use cones, then after dry you don't see them anymore? Are they "glued" or something with cones? Are you sure your hair isn't just splitting after you gave up cones?

silkheart
April 28th, 2011, 05:08 PM
When I dyed my hair a lot I had a ton of split ends and my hair was brittle, but now that I haven't dyed or cut my hair for over half a year, I haven't seen any splits.

Curlyg27
April 28th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Never dyed my hair, well besides for one halloween years ago, and have no intention to and split ends never have been much of a problem. Not sure if there is a correlation, but won't dye in the future, to be on the safe side.. I like natural color that can change due to sunlight or the seasons anyway.

Sereia
May 2nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
I used to do not have ANY split ends some years ago.
I searched for it, in different lights and places.. and I couldn't find a single one.
but since I bleached it's full of split ends, all around
I regret it so much now :( if I knew bout it, I would never have done all the damage I did to my hair!