PDA

View Full Version : a method to ditch blowfrying?!

Phexlyn
January 26th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Hi everyone :)

I think I found a way to ditch my blowfryer completely, and I'd love to hear your opinions on this method. (I'm probably not the first to discover this, and it may not work for the thick-haired folks, but here we go...)

[pre-story: I don't blowdry in the warmer months, but as soon as it gets colder I'm afraid of catching a cold if I don't dry at least the roots of my hair... so I blowfry during late autumn/winter. And when it's spring eventually, it's really hard for me to stop.
I've tried towel-drying, but I think it's uncomfortable, plus blowdrying is much faster.]

However, yesterday after washing I had the idea to use a warm towel to dry my hair, in order to get it dry more quickly and maybe cut down on blowfrying. I know blowdrying damages my hair, and it actually looks better air-dried. So what I did was put the towel in the microwave for 2 minutes, wrapped it around my head and patted lightly, waited until it was cool again and repeated the whole process.

My hair was not completely dry afterwards, it was still damp, but I just put it into a very loose braid and let it airdry. I woke today with wonderfully soft, silky hair :cheese:

I think this could be a good method for those who don't like a wet and cold scalp during winter-time but would rather ditch/cut down on the blowfryer. I didn't spend more time on this than I would have spent on blowdrying.

I'm probably not the first to think of this, but it was such a revelation for me and my hair, so I just had to share :o

Any thoughts or tips?
Do you think the warm towel could cause damage worse than blowdrying?

LaurelSpring
January 26th, 2011, 08:46 AM
This sounds like a good idea. I also tend to use the blowdryer in the Fall and Winter on the low setting so I dont catch a chill. I will give this a shot and see how it works. Thanks for posting!

spidermom
January 26th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Good idea. I use flannel pillowcases on my hair instead of towels, but I might try warming them next time. It's kind of inconvenient because the dryer is in the garage and the shower is upstairs in the house.

enfys
January 26th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I use three towels warmed on the radiator. Same principle I suppose. I still blowdry when needed and at the very least hang out infront of the fanheater until it is mostly dry.

HintOfMint
January 26th, 2011, 10:36 AM
That actually sounds like a fabulous idea and seems like it would feel really good too. Might try that after my next wash.

proo
January 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Brilliant! This is why I love this place.

LovelyL
January 26th, 2011, 12:44 PM
My thoughts: a microwave only really works on water, it wouldn't say heat up a dry towel, it would need to be somewhat damp. I'm not too sure how a warm but still damp towel would speed up drying hair... but it would be a lot more comfortable in winter using a warm towel.

enfys's towels warmed on the radiator sound good, as they're dry and should absorb more moisture.

How about using the tumble-drier instead of the microwave for a quick warmth boost and damp reduction?

All that said, I like the way you think Phexlyn! :D

Anywhere
January 26th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Must remember to try this, with a t-shirt instead of a towel, next time I wash my hair. Seems like a good idea. :D

enfys
January 26th, 2011, 01:07 PM
My thoughts: a microwave only really works on water, it wouldn't say heat up a dry towel, it would need to be somewhat damp. I'm not too sure how a warm but still damp towel would speed up drying hair... but it would be a lot more comfortable in winter using a warm towel.

enfys's towels warmed on the radiator sound good, as they're dry and should absorb more moisture.

How about using the tumble-drier instead of the microwave for a quick warmth boost and damp reduction?

All that said, I like the way you think Phexlyn! :D

Yes, I was concerned about microwaving dry things, but that was just a gut feeling thing, I didn't know why I thought it!

I suppose those lavender heat bag things are dry, and they work in the microwave...

I'd just end up getting a glob of old pizza or spilled milk on it or something. :o

heidihug
January 26th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Everything has some moisture in it, even a towel that feels dry. That's why you can heat up towels and pot pourri and things like that in the microwave and they become warm. I think it's a great idea! Though my dryer is closer to our bathroom than the micro is, so tossing my towel into the dryer right before I get into the shower should work for me.

kitten1986
January 26th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Not really all that relevant to hair.. but... cold and flu are caused by bacteria and viruses... not having wet hair ;)

Although I am with you all in the fact that it is HORRIBLE to have wet cold hair when the weather is chilly!

I would love to try this but unfortunately I dont think a towel would fit in my microwave :S might have to try the tumble dryer suggestion instead hehehehe my dad used to put our towels in the dryer for 5 mins before we got out of the bath as kids then we would get a nice big warm bear hug with the fluffy towel hehehe never thought of doing it for myself.

Phexlyn
January 27th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Yes, I was concerned about microwaving dry things, but that was just a gut feeling thing, I didn't know why I thought it!

I suppose those lavender heat bag things are dry, and they work in the microwave...

I'd just end up getting a glob of old pizza or spilled milk on it or something. :o
Oh dear, I never even thought about putting dry things into the microwave - I use it heat up a pillow filled with cherry pits every night to keep my feet warm, and so far it's working wonders :)

Not really all that relevant to hair.. but... cold and flu are caused by bacteria and viruses... not having wet hair ;).
Yes, I do know that, but if you are sensitive to cold/dampness it can lower your immune defence... which may result in cold or flu ;)
Some of us are just very prone to it in the winter season.

Please let me know how your results are with this method. I'm not sure if it works as fast for everyone, but at least it's very comfortable to have a pre-warmed towel on your head. :)

JulietCapulet
January 27th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Yes braiding and letting dry is a good method I have been using since high school. It works well.

PiroskaCicu
January 27th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Brilliant idea :D I'm going to try it with the tumble drier. It sounds like it would feel really nice after the shower. I'm usually cold when I get out of the bath so a warm towel would be great. :)

cmnt831
January 27th, 2011, 07:32 AM
That does sound like a good idea. The thought of warm towels on my head is lovely right now.... :)

Phexlyn
January 31st, 2011, 08:27 AM
I just wanted to give you an update on this method and a more detailed description. I've done this three times so far and it's working wonderfully.

This is what I do:
1. Get out of the shower, pat and wrap hair in a dry towel (not pre-warmed) to get some moisture out and keep the hair out of the way. Then get the rest of me dry, put on body lotion or whatever you usually do, dress.
2. Put a second dry towel into the microwave until it is warm (not hot!). It should not be unpleasantly warm when you take it out of the microwave.
3. Exchange the towels: I put the wet one from my head into the microwave, and use the warmed up one to wrap my hair in it and gently pat it a bit. Heat up the wet towel in the microwave - be careful, it will get hot faster because it is wet/damp! You don't want to overheat it.
4. Replace the towel on my head with the newly warmed towel, pat, wrap, until the towel has cooled.
5. By this time, my hair is dry in some parts, and still damp in others, but not uncomfortably wet. I gently comb through it and do a very loose French braid with few sections and then just leave it.

This is way more comfortable for me than blowdrying, my hair retains more moisture and looks much softer and silkier. Plus this method is even a little bit faster on my hair than using the blowdryer. :)

I'll let you know if any negative side effects (such as hair getting greasy more quickly) occur.
Please post you own experience with this if you decide to try it. :flower: