PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one!?

knux
January 26th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Hello all,

I am struggling with my hair. I have revived a boat load of great advice here on LHC and my hair has never been softer. But I am still finding that my waves are really uneven and un-uniformed.
When I plop, my wet hair produces amazing big waves, but once dry they loose all body. :wail:

Does anyone else have this problem? And if someone did but found a way to give their waves some movement please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

2peasinapod
January 26th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Not everyone's waves are even. When I first started growing my hair, they grew in at an angle. Now, each wave seems to do it's own thing. The only thing that makes my waves even is braid waves. It's not a big deal. I'm sure your waves are pretty just as they are. :flower:

knux
January 26th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Thank you 2peasinapod, I've tried braiding and the straight ends bother me.

Do you have any advice on keeping the waves somewhat full? Or what you have used that has helped their shape?

2peasinapod
January 26th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Sorry, but I don't really have that problem. I don't really do anything except braiding. If the only thing you didn't like about braiding was the ends, maybe this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0NMLSUICp4) will help. It shows you how to roll up your ends so they wave, too.

If not, then hopefully someone else will have better advice. Hope this helps.

knux
January 26th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Hmm funny that I never thought about rolling up the ends. Thanks! I am going to try this tonight.

I am still open to opinions and advice from anyone and everyone.

Avital88
January 26th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Are waves ever even?

knux
January 26th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Haha good point.

Well I think I meant that some sections are wavier than others, and significantly so. Like some parts are S shaped and others are nearly straight.

Toadstool
January 26th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Have you tried the Curly Girl method?

knux
January 26th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I have tried washing only with conditioner a few times but I always end up with greasy hair so the best thing that I have found so far is CWC, it seems to control the frizz.

julliams
January 26th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Just keep going with it. If you are anything like me, it takes length for the waves to form into loose curls. If you look at my avatar you can see what I'm talking about. Just keep your hands out of your hair when you are air-drying. It really does make all the difference.

Oz
January 26th, 2011, 04:33 AM
try this http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/bandana-waves/

emma907
January 26th, 2011, 05:11 AM
When I changed my routine - I went for CO - my waves took a while - a good month or two to settle down and behave, they would be great one day and a poofy mess the other. give your hair time to settle down, I'm sure that they will!

mrs_coffee
January 26th, 2011, 05:48 AM
My hair is wavy in spots and straight in spots. It's annoying. It's wavy when it's wet and for a short while after it dries, but by the end of the day much of the wave is gone.

knux
January 29th, 2011, 03:32 AM
My waves seem to be doing the same thing mrs_coffee. *sigh*
Thanks everyone. I'm still improving my daily routine so hopefully I can find something that will help me love my texture, but it just feels like a long road :(

Thanks again everyone!

Anywhere
January 29th, 2011, 06:56 AM
My hair has a bit more squiggle than yours and even I have some nearly straight pieces when I plop or airdry. :rolleyes:

You could try plopping overnight if you haven't. I can't imagine it would be comfortable though..

Cupofmilk
January 29th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Can I ask what plopping is? (my children think it means something totally different).

I have wavey hair and the waves are much tighter in the back with the front being nearly straight. It's hard work to manage. Lots of good suggestions here.
I have given up caring and think my hair is pretty fab anyway.

knux
January 29th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I think I'm up to try just about anything Anywhere. I'm not sure if plopping over night will be comfortable while I'm rolling around but what's the worse that could happen right? Does anyone have experience with this?

And Cupofmilk, plopping is a drying method which can help decrease the time it takes for your hair to dry as well as enhancing not only curly hair but also wavy hair. Here is a step by step guide:

http://www.wikihow.com/Plop-Your-Hair (http://www.wikihow.com/Plop-Your-Hair)

pepperminttea
January 29th, 2011, 03:16 PM
My waves are never even, and I often have a mix of straighties in there too; after combing especially. I sleep in a braid, and like the waves it gives me, and the straighter ends don't bother me really.

If all else fails, try to make peace with your hair type. Chances are you're going to have it for a while, you may as well enjoy it. :flower:

jujube
January 29th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Is your hair really thick/ heavy? That could cause your waves to loosen up more.

knux
January 29th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks pepperminttea, that is very true. I am slowly coming to terms with it and I hope that acceptance will grow into love. My dad always reminds me that people spend thousands of dollars a year to get a wavy texture, so I'm trying to stay positive :)

And jujube, my hair is thin, I just have a lot of it. So I'm not so sure that its my own hair weighing it down. I am beginning to think that the problem is that because my hair is both thin and frizzy I am using creams to heavy for my hair to combat the frizz. So I am now just searching for a happy medium.

GRU
January 29th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I am beginning to think that the problem is that because my hair is both thin and frizzy I am using creams to heavy for my hair to combat the frizz. So I am now just searching for a happy medium.

Ah, but frizz is usually waves/curls that have been broken up.... do you comb/brush your hair after it is dry, by any chance?

ScarlettAdelle
January 29th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I feel your pain... I have curly hair (I'm mixed nationalities, German, English, Native American & Black) in some areas & stick straight hair in others... I also have gray patches & random blondes and reds throughout my dark brown hair... sometimes hair just has a mind of its own...

As far as braid waves, you can get the ends to be something other than straight by instead of putting a hairband at the ends, coming the ends of the braid together & wrapping the last 6 or so inches into a pin curl roughly the size of the finished braid waves and then pinning them in place with hair pins until they dry.. this creates a wave that goes all the way to the ends of your hair. Added bonus: if you braid them wet in twin Dutch braids beginning at the nape of your neck & laying them to dry like that, the ends will all be in different places when they dry and the ends will be less noticable.

tigr
January 29th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I have curly hair in some areas & stick straight hair in others... I also have gray patches & random blondes and reds throughout my dark brown hair...

Wow ScarlettAdelle. Your hair sounds fabulous! I'm sure it felt like nightmare hair when you were an adolescent and wanted to look "just like everybody else", though.

knux
January 31st, 2011, 01:54 AM
GRU, I only use a wide tooth comb right before i wash my hair and while the conditioner is taking its effects in the shower. Perhaps the comb is too rough? Is that possible ?

I agree with tigr, your hair does sound amazing. ScarlettAdelle thanks for the suggestions! I am trying a few variations of this to see what works best. It all feels like a long process haha.

GRU
January 31st, 2011, 07:54 AM
GRU, I only use a wide tooth comb right before i wash my hair and while the conditioner is taking its effects in the shower. Perhaps the comb is too rough? Is that possible ?

What is your entire routine? Do you put conditioner in your hair again after you rinse?

I found that I had a lot less frizz when I started combing my hair while wet with some conditioner in it still. It seems to align the individual strands with each other, so they all curl the same way at the same time, rather than each going off and doing its own thing.