PDA

View Full Version : Sympathy needed. :( I burned my hair ;( ;(

DragonLady
January 25th, 2011, 09:55 PM
No one else here seems to think it matters much, but I just want to bawl.

I was clearing weeds and burning them. I threw a big pile of tumbleweeds on the fire, just as the wind shifted. The flames fanned up directly into my face, and burned the upper layer of my hair all around my hairline and around my ears (it was bunned up tight -and I thought- safe).

It's not really noticeable to anyone but me, but.... but.... we're talking about strands that were nearly four feet long, reduced to one singed inch!

And I'm just feeling sorry for myself...and I know all you here will know exactly how I feel.

:trainwreck:

HintOfMint
January 25th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Oh no, how awful! Thank goodness it's not noticeable, but that still is a terrible thing to happen. Well, at least you didn't get hurt.

DragonLady
January 25th, 2011, 09:59 PM
No, I didn't get hurt. Burned all the hair off of both of my arms, and singed my face a bit, but nothing serious.... Unless you count my hair, and I do....

christine1989
January 25th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I burned my hair on my gas stove twice and am still growing out the layers it gave me. I'm glad the fire didn't burn anything else though- that could have been a real disaster!

DragonLady
January 25th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I burned my hair on my gas stove twice and am still growing out the layers it gave me.

I'm sorry. :(

bridgetsgirl
January 25th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Ouch...that sucks! It's happened to me too. What helped me was trimming off all the singed bits, followed by putting it up with conditioner (or other treatment of choice) for a while. You can bounce back, no problem! :grouphug: Glad to hear you're ok otherwise.

fluffybunny
January 25th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Oh no! You do have my sympathy-- I hate breaking off even a single strand of long hair.

Shermie Girl
January 25th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Oh no! Your poor hair!

I am glad that you weren't burned.

swivelhop
January 25th, 2011, 10:21 PM
So sorry, those without long hair just don't understand the time involved 4 feet... 8 YEARS not counting trims. I'm sure you look fine but it still hurts. :grouphug:

DragonLady
January 25th, 2011, 10:24 PM
It's happened to me too. :( I'm sorry for you, too. :(

Once the weeding is done, I'll do a complete S&D, trim off whatever needs trimmed and baby it all summer.

I know there's likely to be more damage than what I've seen so far, as I'm still combing out singed bits. :(

Amraann
January 25th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Awwww I am sorry to hear this.
was it a lot or just some wisps?

At least your not burned.

McFearless
January 25th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Thank god your face wasn't burned. I'm really sorry about your hair. Luckily it was the ends that were burned and not your scalp. It will grow back before you know it. Keep positive:)

Dragon
January 25th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I am so glad you are ok. I'm sorry about your hair.

DragonLady
January 25th, 2011, 10:42 PM
It was along my scalp line. I have a line now that is white around my face where the hair now is just a bit of fuzz I can feel with my fingers, but can't see. :(

Otherwise, it was the top layer of hair going into my bun, so those strands aren't long enough to wrap up anymore, and when they grow out they will be hanging loose.

But, no, I wasn't injured. I was wearing a heavy sweater and a hat, but I'd taken them off moments before because it was sooo hot. I knew better...open flames plus wind plus super-dried weeds weren't a healthy combo, but I've been doing many years with no issues....

Ludde
January 25th, 2011, 10:53 PM
So sorry it happened, but good it didn't get worse.

ericthegreat
January 25th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you. :( I've had a few hair accidents myself (none of them fire related thank God, but I've had several instances where whole strands of my hair were ripped out because they were caught on everything you can think of like doors and the back of my chair) and I know how it feels like you just lost years and years worth of growth.

On the positive, you weren't seriously burned. Sometimes we just have to take life in stride. Take it as a lesson learned next time to be extra cautious. :)

Rabya-Khadija
January 25th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Sometimes if it's windy, and I'm smoking a cigarette... I smell that burnt hair smell and panic lol :D

MrsGuther
January 26th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Sending hugs your way! So sorry that happened to you and your hair!!!

DragonLady
January 26th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Yes, I'm glad it wasn't worse. I did pick a day with very little wind, and was trying to be careful. Honestly, it wasn't my hair I was concerned with burning...it was up and held tight to be safe.... Next time, I have to be more aware of how vulnerable it is, even when no part of it is hanging loose or directly in the line of fire (pun intended).

Arya
January 26th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Oh no!! I'm sorry that happened, it sounds really frustrating :(

fairystar32
January 26th, 2011, 12:24 AM
:(
hugs sent your way and glad you 'OK' and not badly injured.
xxx

Fufu
January 26th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I'm sorry to hear this, sending mega hugs to you.

I'm glad you are safe. Hair will regrow.

Chinese has a saying, "野火烧不尽, 春风吹又生" Ye Huo Shao Bu Jin, Chun Feng Chui You Sheng.
What never destroys you, makes you even stronger. Therefore your hair will definitely grow stronger.

yotaka
January 26th, 2011, 12:49 AM
MEGA HUG! So sorry this happened. Yes, we all came empathize with you easily. May your regrowth be swift! :toast:

On an unrelated lighter note:
For some reason your post reminded me of this time when I was a little kid. My Barbie had wet hair so I thought I could dry it by putting over the light bulb of a glowing lamp. About a couple minutes later my mom smelled something burning only to find my Barbie's synthetic hair had melted all over the bulb and the floor. Ever since then I have been afraid to have my hair near anything hot. lol

milagro
January 26th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Have my sympathy :grouphug:
But as you say nobody notice the change, so it must be not that bad. You still have your long hair :flower:

enfys
January 26th, 2011, 02:29 AM
I'm sorry that happened :grouphug:

I know it seems awful now, but it was only length. Your roots are fine so it will grow. It was only your hairline, where flyaway hairs are acceptable and you weren't more hurt.

2peasinapod
January 26th, 2011, 02:32 AM
That's horrible. I'm glad you're not injured, that it was only the length and that it's not noticeable, but still what an awful thing to have happen to you. I hope it grows back really fast. :grouphug:

CastaDiva
January 26th, 2011, 02:49 AM
You have my sympathy, DragonLady. I`m so sorry this happened to you:( Glad you weren`t badly injured!

boudica
January 26th, 2011, 03:09 AM
So sorry this happened! You totally have my sympathies.

Something like this happened to my grandmother, and she lost her eyebrows and they never grew back. I hope yours were unscathed.

Perhaps you can use this as a symbolic marker of some kind and when the strands grow out, you can treat them special, and remind yourself of something wonderful and momentous, like developing a new and wonderful habit or falling in love...

Toadstool
January 26th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Aw I am sorry.

DavidN
January 26th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Oh, I am so sorry, DragonLady,:grouphug:

Nae
January 26th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry this happened to you. It must be very disheartening. I wish you the fastest growth possible. I am also so glad you you are otherwise unharmed.

I wonder what is the best sort of headgear for that sort of activity? What kind of hat were you wearing?

Eolan
January 26th, 2011, 05:40 AM
When I was seventeen some of my bangs caught fire from a lighter. It was VERY scary! I can totally relate to how you feel. I hope your hair grows back fast. :flower:

cindy58
January 26th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Sorry to hear of your accident! I'm glad your skin wasn't burned. I hope your hair grows and blends in quickly! I took a peek at your profile and your hair is very pretty.

turquoisebud
January 26th, 2011, 06:46 AM
OH! :( I'm sorry! I set my hair on fire once. I was leaning over a table using a lighter and my hair caught on fire! :flamed: I stopped the flames before to much damage was done. This was quit a while ago. I hope I wouldn't be so stupid now! :p

craftybunn
January 26th, 2011, 06:59 AM
:grouphug:I am truly sorry. We all know how much love and care and WORK went into those hairs, no matter how few they were. You have my sympathy.:grouphug:

CarpeDM
January 26th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Oh that is terrible, I've had some hair accidents like that and they can bring you down, but keep your chin up (that is what my mom used to say to me when I was growing up).

lapushka
January 26th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Thank God nothing serious happened to you! Your face could have been burnt. Your entire head of hair... I mean, to think of what could have happened to you, I think you were very lucky. Just remind yourself of that whenever you feel down about the singed parts of your hair. It's unpleasant now, but it'll grow back.

I'm terribly sorry. :flower:

spidermom
January 26th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Oh no; how awful! I guess you're going to have face-framing fringe for awhile.

I'm really glad that you're o.k. otherwise.

gretchen_hair
January 26th, 2011, 08:33 AM
egads! That is a bummer, I am so glad you weren't scarred for life, I know it's terrible but thank heavens you weren't burned badly. :flower:

jojo
January 26th, 2011, 08:36 AM
OMG thats awful, at least you wasnt hurt but I gasped out loud when I read that. Done it my self years back lighting a cigerette on the stove and heard the crackle and smelt the singed hair, but oh my lord that must have been awful.

Thank god your ok, your hair will soon grow back.

LaurelSpring
January 26th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Oh how terrible! This would upset me also. This year I have had to be especially careful around the wood stove.

Babyfine
January 26th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I'm so sorry! I'm glad it wasn't worse!

Fairlight63
January 26th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I am so sorry! I KNOW that I would be devastated if that happened to me!

Little_Bird
January 26th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Gee... This must be horrible indeed :( I'm so sorry for you...

I hope it will grow fast. If it's not noticeabel then maybe it will look like baby hairs? Try not to feel bad, it will grow again :flower: It could have been much worse. Start being more carefull :)

:grouphug:

Sooze
January 26th, 2011, 11:29 AM
My sympathies too, Dragonlady - you aspiring to live up to your name? The firey beast clearly protects you, otherwise the damage would've been much worse - sincerely glad it wasn't, and sending a hug to help you feel better ((hug))

DragonLady
January 26th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Thank-you, everyone...your kind words are making me feel much better. :)

Something like this happened to my grandmother, and she lost her eyebrows and they never grew back.

I did lose my eyebrows...they are just fuzz now, so this is scarey! I hope they grow back.... ;(

Overall, the damage isn't bad. I know it will regrow...it's more the loss of so much length and work and time and attention than the strands themselves, as it really isn't very noticeable.

And, to answer someone's question, I had been wearing a knitted cap pulled over my bun. I've always been a little bit of a pyro, and my parents were always drilling it into me to wear protective clothing...but I've also always been a bit rebellious, so when I got uncomfortable I took it off. :(

Malibu Barbie
January 26th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I soo sorry this happened.. I went to dinner with a friend, they had lit candles on the back of the booths. This was during the 80's (Big hair and lots of hairspray) her hair was tailbone in the back, layered on top. We are all talking and start to smell something weird then, POOF. She lost one side of her hair and large chunks in the back . A quick thinking waiter threw a glass of water on her... What a night.

GuardGirl
January 26th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Personally, I feel like my hair is a body part just like my nose, hand, oor anything else. I'm sure it must have been an extremely emotional event. Hopefully you can find some creative hairstyles tha mask your damage until it grows out enough to be unnoticeable.

bluesnowflake
January 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry! I hope it grows back quickly. Good thing you weren't hurt.

mellie89
January 26th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I'm so sorry. That must have been awfully scary.

Honestly, when something like that happens, I think you just have to count your blessings that it was not worse. You could have been seriously hurt! :(

tendingchi
January 26th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Oh my. That is awful. I hope it is not too obvious.

Coan-Teen
January 26th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you. I set my hair on fire once when I was in high school and I still have a little patch on my hairline that won't grow in. ::hugs:: My best advice is to baby the area and maybe invest in a little monistat (if it works for you) to encourage regrowth. I know exactly how you feel. I'll try to send you some growing mojo.

Lostsoule77
January 26th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I'm so sorry. Just glad that your skin wasn't burned! I hope that it'll grow back just as swiftly as it was taken. Until then hopefully it'll just look like halo hair. :wannabe:

mrs carol
January 26th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I'm sorry for your hair but glad you weren't burned.

AnnaJamila
January 26th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Oh no! I'm sorry!!!! I think I'd be stuck crying for the next couple of days... At least it's the portion of your hair that is usually shorter for layers etc. It'll grow back, though, just wait. (Again.)