PDA

View Full Version : Horrible layer cut...what to do???

Kat Girl
January 25th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Ok my hair was past BSL and going to waistline when I went to have a "trim." I had layers but the layers were subtle and well blended, so it had a nice look to it. Anyway I asked for a trim and what I got was a sharp V hemline and layers hacked in a way such that the longest part is barely at BSL and the shortest layer (which is very thick and noticible) is at APL. Anything under BSL is too short for me anyway, but these "layers" are driving me nuts! So what should I do? Should I leave it alone in hopes that it will grow out and look less severe? Should I go and have the layers "blended" (losing more length still)? Or should I have the bottom layer removed or taken up? Any suggestions?

kittylover
January 25th, 2011, 12:28 PM
The same thing happened to me 6 months ago. Stupid hairdresser did a hackjob at layering my BSL hair. I am still growing out the mess. I kept cutting the very bottom layer of my hair every 2 months so the layers could catch up some. I also blended in the layers a bit so the layers won't look so severe and blunt. I did it myself though. There was a reasong why I was cutting my own hair for the last 5 years but no, I had to have it cut by some idiot hairdresser and of course he screwed it up. It will get better but it will take time.

Rocket22
January 25th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Oh sorry to hear about that, it sucks when you walk out with something totally different than you were imagining, I would persoanally just leave it alone, seems like everytime I get my hair trimmed I come out with funny layers and much shoter than I would like(and I don't ask for layers) so I'm now swearing off hairdressers for a very long time if not forever! :) but if you really hate hate hate it I think you can get the layers I think it's called point cut so it blends in better.. not sure of the correct term I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in

spidermom
January 25th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Personally, I'd leave it alone for about 2 months, then start trimming the bottom. I'd also look out for a better hair stylist to eventually blend in the layers a little better, but I'd want them to be longer first.

utdesertrunner
January 25th, 2011, 12:52 PM
That happened to me too! I held out, but hated my hair along the way. Even DH noticed it was bad! Finally I went to another stylist and she fixed it. It looked great after!

I would go get them blended in if I were you. You will feel so much better about it after. Hugs!

Kaelee
January 25th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I'm currently growing out a cut like that, I had BEAUTIFUL layers, one hairdresser BUTCHERED it and my fav. girl managed to fix it more than I thought she could. But I still have those really severe 'feathery' layers (to be fair, that's the pic I showed her, and I wish I'd had a pic of the cut it looked like BEFORE!!!!) which I really am starting to want to get rid of.

Dragon
January 25th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I’m sorry this has happened to you. I have always let my layers grow out on there own by trimming the ends only and S&D the layers so I don’t lose length off those bits. I’ve even had compliments twice in the past on how bad my layers are that hairdressers have given me. If you like to wear your hair up, that’s a good way to forget about it till they grow out.

Kat Girl
January 25th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Thank you all so much. I think I'll try to wait it out as long as I can but then phase out the layers. It shouldn't be too bad. At least the cut was still in my dyed/damaged hair, which I am trying to get rid of anyway. If it was my healthy hair cut like that it would have been much worse.

Also I have another question. Does anyone know how layers affect the health and/or growth of hair. I've heard that a blunt cut or hair that is all the same length tends to be healthier and get less splits and damage. Is this true?

Dragon
January 25th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Thank you all so much. I think I'll try to wait it out as long as I can but then phase out the layers. It shouldn't be too bad. At least the cut was still in my dyed/damaged hair, which I am trying to get rid of anyway. If it was my healthy hair cut like that it would have been much worse.

Also I have another question. Does anyone know how layers affect the health and/or growth of hair. I've heard that a blunt cut or hair that is all the same length tends to be healthier and get less splits and damage. Is this true?

I have always found that my layers split a lot faster.

milagro
January 25th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Well, I have been growing out my layers for about a year now and my current state is very close to yours - see my sig pic :waving: Not exactly what I like and a challenge with updos but I just grow and have mini trims (the last one I did myself). If you don't want to lose length it's the only way. And I don't think you would like to lose length and alot of styling and updos' options if you don't fancy the cut.
Too bad that this happened to you but it WILL grow :grouphug:

ETA I didn't notice layers split more but then maybe I'm just too used to both :)

Kat Girl
January 25th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks Milagro. Your hair looks beautiful!

Also thanks Dragon. I have had layers for such a long time but I think it's time to either tone them down or phase them out.

Kaelee
January 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Kat Girl-

My layers looked great the first time but after having them cut so badly I think I'll grow them out and not get them again. My hair would be the length that I could start doing updos and wearing sticks etc but because of my layers I can't do ANYTHING but pony tail. I can't even wear a braid. Even a 'pony loop' as I call it (where you pull the pony tail halfway through) does not hold for me.

My hair is stick straight, so badly cut layers are even more shocking.

polette
January 25th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I am sorry to hear this. I too have been victim to the snip happy stylist who didn't listen to my request. Actually, I got a Horrible layer job like a year ago, and then went to trim it and asked them to Blend or leave the payers alone and just shape it up to look better, and instead they (a different salon) ended up trimming up the layers so they where shorter and still horrible. I have not been back to a salon in 6 months and just left my hair to do its thing. Today, I ended up just trimming off 4 inches myself but it is a VAST improvement and because I left it to grow out on its own, it is much more even all around. I lost months of growth, but it looks a lot pretty then if I had gone back to have then trim the layers which would have thinned my hair out.

My suggestion is to leave it for a while and then tell a salon to strictly trim up the hemline or do it yourself. That just means you have to be unhappy with your style for the moment... I am sorry about that.

milagro
January 25th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Kat Girl, thanks :) I'm sure yours looks very pretty too in spite of unfortunate cut. As Kaelee mentioned layers are not so much prominent in wavy hair and you still can do it up.

tinti
January 25th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this :( I also had layers cut in last May. They looked great, but a few weeks later I was soooo tired of them, I'd like it much better to have a nice, thick, un-messy braid than the unhealthy updos that was all I could do. My shortest layers was cheek bone lenght, now they're shoulder lenght in the back, chin lenght in the front, so it's growing, slowly but steady. I have a no-trim year now that ends in May, and if my hair looks good then I'll continue throughout 2011. Then my layers might be apl-ish and I can chop of some of a bit of those thin-looking under layers to make it thicker and easier to handle :)