PDA

View Full Version : Which water-soluble 'cone should I get?

dropinthebucket
January 25th, 2011, 04:26 AM
My hair is suddenly damaged! Do I need 'cones?

Nothing in my routine has changed, only my location. I brought my natural shampoo bars with me, and my coconut and castor oil. I wash twice a week, with a light oiling the night before wash day, and a very dilute final vinegar rinse. This has worked well for the last year. The only thing different is the water where I'm living now. It's a yellowish-green colour once you have a full tub, I think from chlorine?

Within two washes, I suddenly noticed a ton of white dots on my ends. By the third wash, I upped the oil. My hair is usually stringy, so I try not to overdo it, but with this damage I went ahead and upped the oil, and have been putting up with the extra stringiness. (I posted a thread about it, and got some great suggestions - ty!).

But white dots continue to appear like crazy, with each washing, whether I oil or not. Does chlorine cause white dots? If I had them before, they never showed up. I think they are new, though, because they're appearing in sections I know I just S&Ded the day before I washed, and those sections were clear when I finished them.

So I'm thinking going back to 'cones may be my only defense. I love the city, and love being here - but I don't want to lose my hair! I feel like the water is literally eating it. My hair is just generally looking like c**p lately, along with the damage, but I"m so close to BSL I don't want to give up. I see lots of ladies here with beautiful, long hair, so they must be using something that works. Any suggestions for chlorine help, and water-soluble 'cones I could use with my shampoo bar are greatly appreciated!!

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to give enough info. for diagnosis. :)

Tiina
January 25th, 2011, 04:36 AM
I don't think cones would help much. Maybe you should get a shower filter instead. Or a general water filter with which to clean a bowlful or two of water which you use to wash hair with (without using the shower water for hair at all).

Athena's Owl
January 25th, 2011, 05:02 AM
white dots can't be solved by silicone. Time to search and destroy. it also sounds like you have to chelate metals off your hair frequently - ktani recommends rinsing with a can of club soda in these cases, so I'd say try that.

rose.grace
January 25th, 2011, 09:17 AM
NW/SO is the only thing that's working for my hair. :kitten:

pepperminttea
January 25th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I'd second trying the club soda rinse. If all else fails, could you try a clarifying wash with a cheapie sulphate shampoo?

dropinthebucket
January 25th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Club soda? Ok, I can get that here! Will try it! Thanks for advice, everyone. It's appreciated. :)

TwilightBloom
January 25th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Can you put a filter on your shower head, I love mine, got it at lowes, not that expensive and it helps with the chlorine. I have never experienced the white dots, but i have had the water be a bit dirty looking before in the tub..

Darkhorse1
January 25th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Ah, you live where I live--our weather has been brutal, so it may be due to the dryness of heat.

I use cones and if my hair/ends are really dry, the only solution is trimming--since I've started to trim more hair and do less micro trims, I'm noticing a huge improvement in my ends/health.

I got the white dots with cone usage, so I don't know if using a cone product will help--it may prevent the split from becoming/traveling up the hair shaft.

I was having a flat hair problem and finally did a clarifying and my hair is a lot happier now :)