PDA

View Full Version : updoes for shoulder length

saf
January 25th, 2011, 03:12 AM
i'm growing out a bob shape so around my neck is the shortest, reaching my shoulders. Can anyone suggest updos i could try?

Fabulosity
January 25th, 2011, 03:22 AM
My hair is the same length as you, and I can do:

1. a peacock twist, which is a pretty easy updo. You just need a claw holder thingie to hold it in place.
2. a teensy tiny ponytail, which I've been told is kind of cute
3. french braid and a wee little pony at the end!

Good luck, and happy growing!

MinderMutsig
January 25th, 2011, 03:29 AM
A tucked french braid, peacock twist, sock bun and those fancy updo's where you twist and roll seperate strands of hair ans secure them with a bobby pin or tiny claw clip.
Can't think of any more right now.

Dragon
January 25th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Half up, half down and two pony tails.

saf
January 25th, 2011, 05:18 AM
thanks ! just got to find out what those are now.

KittyLost
January 25th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I grew out that cut, I'm just past shoulder now with all one length.

I used to do pigtails, ponytails, a claw clip to do a peacock twist, a french braid, and experiment with a lot of half-ups!

curlytm
January 25th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Hi saf! I'm currently at exactly the same stage.
One thing that's great is that this length of hair is GREAT for learning how to braid (specifically, French and Dutch braids). Another thing that's great about this length is that a lot of styles often look MUCH more complicated than they are to do. Because there isn't a lot of hair to manage, styles take little effort, but a few well placed bobby pins are always your friends. Here's what I do:

I section my hair from ear to ear across the top of my head and clip it aside. I then divide the rest of the hair (which is basically from the crown to the nape) in three vertical sections. One at a time, I gather a section at the nape of the neck, twist twist twist, then fold back up towards my crown and pin with a bobby pin. Once those are pinned (usually resulting in a pleasing arrangement of hair at the crown of my head), I then use the front hair (ear-to-ear section which was initially held aside) and pin it randomly about to frame my face in a flattering way or give me height at the crown. Because I have curly hair, the result is a messy but chic updo that usually looks something like this:
http://celebsalon.sheknows.com/wavy-hairstyles/jennifer-nettles-blonde-updo-hairstyle/
It takes maybe 3 minutes and is super easy.

Another thing I do a lot is double french braids (with a side part in my hair) that end at the nape of my neck. I don't like to braid them all the way because the length of my hair makes them look like wimpy ratty little braids at the end. So instead of finishing them, I will wrap the ends in a sort of bun at the nape of my neck. The result is super cute.

Messy buns are also a great choice (there are LOTS of suggestions on TLHC, but I don't have time to search them now). These are especially good when the bun is low on the back of your head since the hairs at your neck aren't often long enough to reach a high-flying bun.
Ooh! Another quick/easy style (that looks way more difficult than it is and is really elegant) is a Gibson tuck. It's great for this length of hair. In fact, from what I've heard, it's easier to do it at this length than when it's longer.
I also love rocking this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLo9Do_4cKM) pseudo-side pony. She does a really crappy job of it in this tutorial. It's really easy to do this more elegantly and hide the bobby pins much better than she does, but it's a really flattering look.

Best of luck!

ddiana1979
January 25th, 2011, 11:36 AM
You might be able to get hair that length into a French Twist. Really elegant looking. A peacock twist will work until you can tuck the ends under.

At that length, it's fun to experiment & practice with braids, because they get a lot harder when there's more length to get tangled & wrapped up in your fingers. So I would practice lots of different braids, even if your hair isn't quite long enough to keep them in as an "updo".

saf
January 26th, 2011, 05:22 AM
thank you curlytm for your detailed and interesting post. I've only just noticed it and now have to go to work so i'll really look into it later.

Diane, i had thought of a french bun, if we are thinking of the same style with you calling it a twist. I got married with one of those and really like them, but i think i would need a sausage bun thing to wrap around.

lots of good ideas, thanks !