PDA

View Full Version : What's your routine?

JuneBride
January 24th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Whenever I look at member's pictures I go to their profile and look at their routine. Lately I have noticed that a lot of the members don't have routines posted. I love reading people's routines...I get lots of good tips from them. So I thought it would be great if people copied and pasted their routine's here if they already have them...or post them here for the first time!

This is my routine:

I consistently CO wash.My hair hates shampoo and sheds a lot if I use it.I try to let it air dry after washings (or I lightly blow dry it if it gets too late/too cold).Sometimes I put a tiny bit of Organix Coconut Serum on the ends while it's wet or damp...trying desperately to prevent split ends!!! I use Monistat on+off to accelerate growth. I have tried jojoba, coconut, EVOO + avocado oils, my hair seems to like avocado.My hair is 70% back to its natural color after the bleach disaster (see my Progress Album for pics of that).I am trying hard to quit heat but its not easy to give up totally! I wear my hair up a lot but not always.I have learned to love my life without bangs...and I have come to accept my big forehead hahaha!!! My ultimate goal is to get to and maintain Healthy BSL.Last Trim = November 2010; Next Planned Trim = MAYBE May 2011...but we'll see if I can hold out longer! hehehe!

And my most current picture:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/trdegray/HAIR%202011/100_4161.jpg

Can't wait to read yours! Post a pic too :) Thanks!

mellie89
January 24th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I shampoo and condition every other day. I can go every third day, but I like to wear my hair down frequently, so I prefer to wash more often. I always use shampoos with sulfates, but I might use a cone-y conditioner or one without cones, depending on how my hair is feeling that day. The cone-less conditioners that I use are all fairly heavy. My hair tends to be a little on the dry side.

I used to do a cassia treatment every month, religiously. I've been slacking on those lately, mostly due to the massive mess that I make when I rinse the stuff out, but my hair really likes cassia.

I mostly practice benign neglect, to be honest. I don't oil regularly. I use a Tangle Teezer on it in the morning and again before bed. I get a 0.5" - 1.5" trim every six months. I use a hair dryer in the winter if I wash my hair in the morning. That's about it!

My most recent hair picture is in my signature. I've gotten a trim since then, so it is basically the same length as that now.

Also, your hair is beautiful! I am completely envious of that rich color.

Copasetic
January 24th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I am a member of Naturally Curly too, and over there it is really common to put your routine in your signature. I wonder why that never caught on here.

I am currently experimenting with my routine. I thought my hair liked cones, but I think it only likes certain cones. And I have figured out that my scalp hates SLS. So I just clarified, and used a cone-free conditioner that I have had good luck with in the past. Then I used my trusted Live Clean leave-in and some mouse.

firefly42
January 24th, 2011, 09:25 PM
CWC twice a week with sulfate free shampoo and whatever conditioner i have on hand, comb through carefully when wet or it's impossible to detangle later; currently experimenting with shea butter and coconut oil. I braid it at night and wear it up during the day.

mostly, i just ignore it these days. it's easier that way.

Currently growing out henna because i ran out and don't have money to buy more lol.

ArienEllariel
January 24th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I switch up my routine a lot.. right now I'm stretching washes and trying using just shampoo and oiling the length after washing instead of regular shampoo and conditioner. I've CO in the past but if I do that I have to wash my hair every day or I get the greasies really fast.

Fufu
January 25th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Hair Washing:
CWC Method every alternate days. Some days using Shampoo and Hair Mask.

Pre-Wash Oil Hair Treament:
Every Sunday, I apply camellia oil on my completely dry hair and leave on between 30 minutes to 1 hour. I rinse off with CWC method.

Every Morning:
I apply moisturize hair mist on hair.

On some Nights:
Apply night cream serum before bedtime.

Random:
Apply camellia oil on dry or damp hair ends.

Comb:
Wide Tooth Comb only.

Hotrox
January 25th, 2011, 02:07 AM
CWC every 2 to 3 days

Sulphate and silicone free products.

Coconut oil over night before a wash day

Small bit of Nightbloomings panacea on the damp length

Finger comb, air dry, no touching

Little bit of Keihls aragan oil when dry to calm the ends and fight the frizz

The results:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=88164&albumid=5804&dl=1289542671&thumb=1

It's ok at the moment, but I'm thinking it can still be improved :D

Allychan
January 25th, 2011, 03:04 AM
My routine is pretty intense as I am desperatly trying to grow and repair at the same time.
Sun: ACV rinse & hot coconut oil treatment
Mon: Castor oil over night, Coconut oil during day, Coconut shampoo followed by conditioner
Tue: Monistat overnight, Coconut oil during day, Coconut shampoo followed by conditioner
Wed: Castor oil over night, Coconut oil during day,Coconut shampoo followed by conditioner
Thurs:Monistat overnight, Coconut oil during day,Coconut shampoo followed by conditioner
Fri:Castor oil over night, Coconut oil during day,Coconut shampoo followed by conditioner
I have to wash each day as my hair is very thin & fine and the coconut oil makes it very greasy regardless of how little I put in.
Wood comb only plus I also take Iron, Biotin, Kelp & MSM daily

naereid
January 25th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I've been here over a year and I still haven't figured it out. Sigh. CO was closest to perfection, but made me shed so much I had to give it up.

EmiliaF
January 25th, 2011, 03:23 AM
I mostly CO-wash (cone-free) every other day and use coconut oil, castor oil or Monoi Tiare (which would technically also be coconut oil, I guess) as a pre-wash-treatment.
I mostly wear my hair up with a hair-stick. If I don't plan on wearing it down at all that day I put some castor oil on my ends, but it makes them a little sticky so it's not perfect. Coconut and jojoba oils seem to dry them out. So I am still working on finding an ideal solution for that.
I have done two ACV rinses so far (in the past two months) and couldn't really see a difference, but I will try again.
After going cone-free I have tried a coney-conditioner once and really hated the feeling so I clarified immediately the next day. So I will def not try that again. :pins:

Oh and I only finger-comb plus BBB.

Vorvolaka
January 25th, 2011, 03:44 AM
I currently use Ktani's Movie Star Shampoo method but I've tried most things with varying levels of success. I add coconut oil into my sulphate shampoo when I wash every second day. I switch between a gentle and a harsh(er) shampoo. I don't use conditioner or any other products and air dry 99% of the time. I'll stretch to an extra day without washing over the weekend. I've just started adding a bit of extra coconut oil to the ends every few days to prevent splits. I box dye with a red demi-permanent but I'm undecided if I'm going to continue with that.

EroSparrow
January 25th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Thanks for posting this thread! I am very interested in people's night time hair routine. Do you braid/plait or do you wrap your hair in a cap? My hair is waist length right now.... and for once I actually want to see what happens if I try to grow it out--- the length I have didn't take much effort--- but I want to see what happens if I actually use a better routine. So I am really concerned about what to do at night. I can sleep in a braid, but not in a bun or ponytail. What is the best way to wear hair while sleeping? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Intransigentia
January 25th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I do a bit more than benign neglect, but not much:

I wash every second or third day before bedtime, with ktani's Movie Star Shampoo, sometimes with a bit of plain shampoo right around the hairline where I tend to get greasy, and every couple weeks I'll wash with plain shampoo because my hair has gotten saturated with coconut oil. Follow that with some kind of acid rinse, lemon juice if I remember to get it from the fridge or vitamin C if I forget.

Then it sits in a turbie twist for a while, gets combed out with a wide-toothed comb, and braided to keep it out of my way while I sleep. I use a satin pillowcase. I do the braid right at the top of my head, like a teeny-bopper ponytail. Advantages: Because it comes out the top of my head, I don't lie on it. Also, because the hair dries pointing upwards, I get some nice lift at the roots.

In the morning, I comb it, put it into some kind of updo, and ignore it the rest of the day. I just about never wear it loose, but here's what it looks like after I finger-comb out my braidwaves but before I bun it for the day:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6596&pictureid=93985

rose.grace
January 25th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I've just settled on NW/SO. Lots of massaging, scritching and preening every day to keep the scalp stimulated, fresh and clean. It looks healthier and is stronger than ever. No itching, very little shedding. Surprisingly not "greasy" or flat. I've just begun this so have no long term affects to report but it feels perfect for me already. I never liked my hair in water, anyway. (Think: Cat:kitten:) I always felt like I was "adulterating" my hair when I shampooed or conditioned or put anything on it but it's own natural, antibacterial lubricant (even things from the kitchen). Nothing ever felt right to be before. But this does.

cataphract
January 25th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I've been experimenting.

I had bs/lemon water rinsed for a while and occasionally used cassia or similar herbs until recently. Then I got a wild hair (har har) and decided I would document exactly why I switched. Knowing that I usually get my best texture if I let my hair dry overnight (though slightly frizzy) I've been trying a few things and then letting it dry overnight and photographing it in the morning. I've started an album called 'bed head' so I can keep track of it.

I'm trying soapnuts for the next one. I have to rehab my hair for a while after the most recent shampoo and conditioner debacle. I remember now why I don't use it. So it's just baking soda/ lemon water rinse for a while.

Other than that, I try to do a castor oil treatment once a week and oil the ends as needed. Sometimes when doing the castor oil treatment, I'll wash once, leave what's left in there on over night and do the second wash the next night and just braid it so you can't really tell. Generally I wash 2-3 times a week, sometimes less - any more than that and my scalp is upset. I wear my hair up basically daily and nightly, so leaving oil in a while is not really a problem especially if it's just from the ears down.

If I'm planning on trying to preserve my texture (which is scared away by even looking at it) I'll smooth in a little oil+aloe while it's wet and scrunch it and dry it loose and be very very careful with it the following morning. Otherwise everything pulls out weird and I end up looking like my hair is having an identity crisis. Usually on texture days I go with a half up or a low pony tail.

I tend to prefer grapeseed over coconut oil, and lemon over vinegar.

jojo
January 25th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I dilute my shampoo and condition with Love, peace and the planet conditioner by tigi every 2 days.
I also pre-oil the night before my wash and add a smidgen of oil to the very ends

I also do a deep oil 2x a week and clarify with pantene once a fortnight, though i use this full strength.

I sleep in a braid and try to wear it up most of the time and I hardly ever use heat, maybe 4x a year approx.

I did used to dust the ends every 2 months, but I am on a no trim until november 22nd, which will have been a year of no trims.

Dark Queen
January 25th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Here's mine in a nutshell. I still haven't settled on one specific S&C or oil, but this is the general idea.

Daily: maintenance with seamless machine cut comb or tangle teezer; occasional BBB as needed

Washing: CWC followed by hair oil on still damp hair (approx twice a week if not more). ACV rinse as needed.

Wear: usually up in clip or bun throughout daily activity

Random: spray ends with Hask Placenta & olive oil if needed

luxepiggy
January 25th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I've finally settled into a semblance of a routine! (^(oo)^)

Daily:

Wet fingers & lightly dampen hair in the morning
Rub a couple of drops of coconut oil between hands & apply to ends
Fingercomb
Blow dry on cold setting Every other day:

Apply moderate amount of coconut oil at least 1 hour pre-wash to length & ends
CO wash with Shu Uemura Full Shimmer conditioner
Wrap hair in towel until damp but not dripping
Very light application of coconut oil to damp hair
Very light application of Fekkai COIFF Contrôle Ironless Straightening Balm immediately after coconut oil
Blow dry on low, finishing off with cold settingEvery 1-2 weeks:

Heavy application of coconut oil on length & ends, moderate application on roots
Shu Uemura Full Shimmer shampoo
Shu Uemura Moisture Velvet treatment masque
Remainder of routine same as following a normal CO washOnce a month:

Beer rinse, usually coinciding with a shampoo wash dayI sleep with my hair loose, and I don't brush or comb. Most of the time I wear my hair down, although I always carry hair sticks and often put it up, then take it down again, more than once during the course of the day.

obssesif
January 25th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Mine: Wash once a week with shampoo (mix of baby shampoo, nette extract, panthenol, vitamine B6 and B12) followed by conditioner, honey and oil left for 30 minutes... And that's it!
Sometimes if my hair feel dry, I'll use some almond oil on my night braid....

impaciente1981
January 25th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Still I don,t have a fixed routine. I continue experimenting. Till now I know that to my hair doesn,t like the oils, it likes the cones. The cassia resects my hair very much and I don,t notice improvement.
On the other hand, today I have made my first Co-washing and ..... I am delighted!!! Certainly I have to prove more times :cheerleader:

redneckprincess
January 25th, 2011, 03:05 PM
i dont really have a routine...
i wash (co) when I want...every day - every few days
i color (henndigo) when i feel like it...every month - several months
i wear it up when i want - more often then not really
i coconut oil when i feel like it...every day - once a week

i think your hair is very pretty and i love the color

tinti
January 25th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I CO once or twice a week, and when I feel like it I use a clarifying shampoo. I let my hair airdry without excessive touching (just parting it) or damp bunning/braiding, and then I put a tiny bit of coconut oil in my hair after it's totally dry. I wear it up when I feel like it, I'm pretty pissed at most updos because of my layers, so I'm probably wearing it up 50% of the time. I guess this problem will deminish once I start trimming my suckers aka layers away. I'm allowing myself cones in the winter because my hair goes all nuts without it then. It's static as you've never seen static hair before :p And I allow myself to use heat on my outgrowing bangs because I tend to keep them trimmed once I get to the desired put-behind-ear-lenght. So I do the bangs-part of this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-aZO4F9kPw, except I use other products, I just use a leave in and volumizing mousse, and I hairspray after I'm done shaping my bangs in stead of when my hair is wet (makes my hair sooo stringy!) and I use a big velcro roller instead of a round brush since I don't have one :p

Madora
January 25th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I'm a minimalist and don't do much except:

Shampoo/condition every 3/4 weeks and always air dry (takes half an hour to dry outside, 45 minutes indoors).

Brush with a pure BBB 100 strokes every day

Wear my hair up in a braid

I use George Michael Pink Shampoo and his white conditioner.

Also just started using Tresemme Naturals with Avocado and Aloe (no silicones)

Gabriel
January 25th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Wash Routine:
Every other day, I scalp shampoo with a Sweet Creek Herb shampoo bar (occasionally followed by lemon and water rinse), then use conditioner. Once a week I do a full wash and condition. I've started using Aussie Hair Insurance Leave In Spray, a leave in conditioner, on my length as needed.
(Every so often I will use Garnier Fructis Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, Clean and Fresh instead of a shampoo bar as a clarifying wash.)
I'll also use a few sprays of Aussie Hair Insurance Leave In Spray on the length after washing.

I'll rotate through these conditioners:
-TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
-Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm
-Aussie Cleanse and Mend Conditioner
-Spa Haus Salon Conditioner
-(sometimes I use other stuff instead but these are my HG conditioners)

Wavy Styling Routine:
For days I want more waves I will add some coconut oil to my entirely, freshly washed and conditioned hair, then add Naturelle Biotera Curl Creme and one of these gels:
-Naturelle Styling Gel
-Eco Styler Krystal
-L.A.Looks Sports Gel

I'll gently scrunch (with my fingers together instead of a claw shape), modify plop and then let air dry. Once in a rare while I will blow dry till damp with a diffuser on low.

Sleep Routine:
I use a sleep bonnet/cap/wrap almost always. Being a restless sleeper, it doesn't always stay on so I have a satin pillowcase as well.

I just wrap my hair around my hand and tuck it into the bonnet.

Other:

If my ends seem dry or in need of a little extra protection I apply one of these lightly:
-Spectrum Unrefined Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
-Motions Marula Natural Therapy Hair and Scalp Oil

Daily, before styling, I use Alterna Bamboo Luminous Shine Mist on my length. One spray on each side. Then I put my hair up.

Once a month I henna with Lush Caca Rouge.
Every four months I get a trim and deep treatment at the salon.

lascuba
January 25th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I've had a routine that I've been very happy with for well over a year now, but since finding LHC I've become optimistic that I might actually be able to do something about the thinness of my hair. I've added a couple of things and I'm planning some other things as well.

Everyday:
-WO wash followed conditioner (my current favorite is Nature's Gate Moisturizing Hemp)
-Fingercomb to detangle while conditioner is in.
-Rinse hair upside down with cool water (this really helps canopy frizz)
-Gently squeeze some of the water out of my hair with a microfiber towel and apply styling product.
-My hair might be thin but it's coarse and not at all porous, so it takes forever to dry. I usually blowdry with a diffuser, just my roots, by pointing the blowdryer at my head for a minute or 2 per section. This way, with the help of my car's heater, my hair is completely dry by the time I get to work.

Weekly:
-Alternate between an ACV wash and rinse and a BS wash (followed by ACV rinse). Lately I've noticed that I don't need to BS wash every two weeks, so I've been pushing it to every 3rd week. Follow both of those with my regular conditioner.
-Thanks to LHC, I've recently added castor oil to my routine. I massage it into my scalp and then I CO wash the next morning. I've also tried coconut oil on my ends (not on the same day I use castor oil), but that's been sporadic. I've heard that coconut oil can cause problems for protein sensitive hair, so I'm a bit wary.

Every4-6 weeks:
-Henna. I just did a hendigo application this weekend using the powders for the first time, instead of the Lush bars. I followed that up with a deep conditioner. I'll be continuing that, but with various changes based on what I learn. By the way, do you know what get's rid of the henna smell? Aubrey Organics' Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. I dc'd with that, and the next day when I WO'd, instead of being hit with the henna scent that I expected I got the Honeysuckle Rose.

Possible changes:
-I've been doing a lot of reading on Indian herbs for hair care, and I think I'm going to try incorporating them into my routine. I figure I'll do a heavy oiling one night a week and following with an herb wash the next morning. Based on how that goes I'll take it from there.
-I think I just might be able to go without styling products! To prepare for my henna treatment on Saturday night, I decided to wash and conditioner my hair that morning as usual, but not use any styling product except a few drops of argan oil (I use it as my facial moisturizer, never before tried it in my hair). My curls actually looked good! For two hours, then it got stringy and greasy looking. But still! I definitely have to experiment with this some more. Here's a picture taken right after it was completely dry.

http://i51.tinypic.com/169osua.jpg

PeaceLoveHair
January 25th, 2011, 08:28 PM
-CWC twice a week.
-I * very lightly*oil the ends regularly- my ends must need it because they never look greasy afterwards...
-I'll oil my hair and scalp with coconut oil the night before washing, about every two weeks.
-I'll rub some coney serum on my palms and run it through my hair if my hair isnt quite behaving. My hair likes cones. .

-Airdry most of the time/ almost always

Pretty simple routine for my hair, I guess.

That's my pic on the left..=)

fluffybunny
January 25th, 2011, 11:26 PM
CWC about every other day
Sleep with it down or in a braid if it's wet enough to annoy me.
Put it up most mornings, take it down in evenings
Hair skin & nails pill a few times a week
Minoxidil on the thin spots about every other day
Brush rarely, but finger de-tangle before or during shower
No heat, no color.

milagro
January 25th, 2011, 11:34 PM
I agree, routine info say under avatar, like that on hair type, could be very handy.

Mine is pretty simple: CO 2 times a week, vinegar rinses 1/week, deep treatments every two weeks, airdry, light to no combing. I also rinse with water only + a tiny bit of conditioner for the length if I feel like it in between, usually after gym.

Sundial
January 26th, 2011, 12:33 AM
- daily washing, alternate between CWC and CO,
- vinegar rinse weekly,
- oils daily (camillia, coconut, argan, EVOO, avocado, depending on what I feel like)
- air dry only
- wide tooth wooden comb and wood paddle brush

I am still having problems figuring out how to put my hair up before I sleep because everything comes apart before I start falling asleep - I toss WAY too much

McFearless
January 26th, 2011, 12:46 AM
CO wash every 3 days. Cones on the length, no cone on scalp. SLS shampoo when I have buildup. Coconut oil or olive oil as a leave in. Deep treatments when I need to.

Thats it. A simple routine is a good routine.

italianamama
January 26th, 2011, 01:07 AM
No real routine over here. I switch everything up depending on the seasons, because my hair changes right along with the weather.

I wash with a sulfate shampoo once or twice a week. I've got horrible dandruff and Head & Shoulders seems to be the only thing that works.

My favorite conditioner is Biolage Conditioning Balm. It's amazing stuff and I've never found anything else like it.

I oil when needed, maybe twice a day even because my coarse hair sucks it up. Olive oil and grapeseed oil are my favorites.

As far as styling goes, braids rule supreme over here. The basic rule I have is to leave the hair alone! Wood comb and finger combing works as well.

Ishje
January 26th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I wash my hair once a week, usually in the weekend.
the evening before I wash I oil my hair. (coconut, jojoba or amla)
the shampoo I use is Nivea, and has SLS in it. the conditioner I use is Inecto coconut.
they both work so I keep on using them.
I let my hair dry by air, and I comb it when it is dry.
at night it is in a braid, either Dutch braid, French braid or a English braid.
in the winter I wear braids more during daytime as well, so I can put them in my coat.
in summer I prefer nautilus bun or pretzel bun, or sometimes down.

Mírien
January 26th, 2011, 05:10 AM
My routine? I still keep experimenting but currently it's somewhat like this:

1. washing: once a week with organic poo and conditioner, finished with an ACV rinse
I only fingercomb my hair when wet, then put it in a bun or a braid still damp and let it dry. This method helps to avoid the extra tangles I get when I have it down to dry...
2. combing: I use a wide-tooth horn comb and occasionally a wooden brush (brushing is not the best for my wavy hair, but it massages my scalp).
3. oiling: coconut oil on my ends, daily or when I feel it necessary

I am planning to experiment with rosemary oil and have already tried nettle rinses. All in all, my hair is in much better condition since I joined LHC and started this routine. :D Thank you LHC. :cheese:

bunzfan
January 26th, 2011, 06:08 AM
What a great thread thank you for posting it. Here's mine like others i am still finding what works for my hair.

Wash once a week with Body shop rainforest sls free shampoo, condition with Inecto Coconut conditioner.

Oil ends when they need it and oil length the day before a wash day( this seems to work better than doing daily ones) my hair seems to love coconut and grapeseed oil.

Started putting 2 drops of oil in damp hair this seems to keep it more moisturised now its longer.

Brush hair daily before putting hair up in an updo with sticks/forks.
Braid for bed.

freckles
January 26th, 2011, 07:35 AM
my current routine goes something like this (the super long version):

washing: anywhere between every other day and twice a week, depending on what my hair looks like, how busy I am, how nice I feel I need to look for current activities, or just whether I WANT to wash. Pre-wash, I may do a thorough coconut oil (all of length coated, anywhere from 30 mins to overnight) but recently I haven't been doing that as much. I do CWC: condition, wash, condition. My conditioner is (almost always) cone free. For shampoo, it may or may not contain SLS, and is focused on my scalp, only rinsing through the length. First condition is on dry hair.

I mostly air dry. Last year in the Summer months I blowdried once, and in winter I blowdried maybe 1/3 of the time. So far in 2011 I haven't blowdried though, even though it still feels Winter here! When I do/did blowdry, it's normally from t-shirt dried stage to the damp stage, no round brush, just moving hair around with fingers, on cool and warm - sometimes I use coney serum/heat protectant. Occasionally, though, either DBF or a hairdresser (I can't do it myself) will blowdry it straight using a round brush -- I think this happened 3 times in 2010. When I air dry I use a towel and a t-shirt and leave it down usually, though occasionally I damp bun.

I might or might not lightly coconut oil when damp, or dry on days between washes. Not so much recently.

I finger comb and use my tangle teezer to detangle. Sometimes (not often -- maybe a couple of times a month, or when needed) I use a little coney detangler.

I sleep in a braid (still haven't gotten sleep caps to work for me!), and I usually wear my hair up outside the house, though not always.

No dye, no tongs, no straighteners, etc.

That was written really long, but it's actually mostly a benign neglect/very few rules routine, so here's the short version: coconut oil when I feel like it, CWC when I feel like it, minimal blowdrying, no other heat styling, mostly cone-free but sometimes cones, no dye, wear it up.

MandaMom2Three
January 26th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I change mine once and a while, always hoping to stumble on my holy grail :rolleyes:. But here's what I do right now...

My Products:

* Nutiva Coconut oil (to mix 1:1 with shampoo)
* Down Under Fruit Kicks Shampoo (to mix with oil)
* Distilled Water (in mister bottle)

My Tools:

* Wide toothed wood comb
* Wood bristle brush
* Mister bottle
* Satin pillowcase

Daily Supplements:

* Multivitamin
* Salmon oil capsules
* Horsetail tablets
* MSM

My Routine:

1. Detangle with comb.
2. Brush to remove shed hairs.
3. Wash with oil shampoo (1:1 oil to shampoo)
4. Turban hair in towel while dressing
5. Comb gently and let down to dry or damp bun

Notes:

* Mister with distilled water if needed and scrunch.
* 2 side braids for night and sleep on a satin pillowcase

Planning to Experiment With...:

* club soda rinses (for mineral build up)
* lemon rinses (for frizz)
* Catnip soaks (for conditioning)
* Cassia

Right now I wash every day otherwise my scalp gets very flaky and itchy. I'm going to start using catnip today and I'm hoping it will sooth my scalp enough to stretch to at least every OTHER day!

swivelhop
January 26th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Until my stock runs out I have a routine that works. This is where I like my routine.:

Shampoo every third day with HE's Tousle Me (old version)
Condition with HE's Dangerously Straight (discontinued)
Comb when wet
Jojoba oil on damp hair (if I remember it, and probably won't buy more)
Sleep on the satin pillow.
Leave it down most the time so I can keep it inside my coat and put my hat on.

boomygrrl
January 26th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I shampoo and condition my hair about 4-5 times a week. I have naturally curly hair 3a/3b. It used to get dry a lot, but the past few years, it is healthy...but still frizzy...that's just my hair, not due to damage. The length of my hair is slightly below bra strap.

So, before I get out of the shower, I lightly (very lightly) squeeze some of the water out, then I put it in a microfiber towel...I keep it on there until I have my clothes on...I don't like product on my bare back...ewww!
Once I put my hair down from the towel, I will comb my hair with a wide-tooth comb...although I don't have conditioner in it, it's very conditioned from the rinse-out conditioner. I then will use a creamy conditioner...Redken Fresh Curls leave-in is good for my hair. (Oh by the way, I use sulfate and non-sulfate shampoos; cone and non-cone rinse out conditioners) I like amodimethicone on my hair...I hate dimethicone and cyclopentasiloxane....I digress.
Anyways, after I distribute the leave-in, using a combination of just rubbing it through and raking it through...when it seems evenly distributed, then I scrunch my hair....it's a squeezing motion that helps with curl formation. I will sometimes spiral my hair with my fingers (using my fingers like mini-curlers).
Then, I leave it alone...I put on makeup, eat breakfast, tend to the dogs, whatever else I need to do...then before I leave for work, I "scrunch the crunch." I only use leave-in, so it's not crunchy really, but it does have a wet look that I don't like...by scrunching my hair, it gives a less wet look and adds a little volume...I'd rather have too frizzy hair than too wet looking hair...mostly I'm pretty careful with my scrunching, so it doesn't look frizzy.
Then that's it...unless its windy outside...I hate gels...I like curl creams, but now that I use creamy leave-ins, I don't see the point. My hair is naturally curly and tends to hold my style all day anyways. So if its windy, I will use hairspray. I know it's bad for you, but it isn't something I use often, so I'm okay with it.
On the days I don't wash my hair, I use a spray leave-in...what I use is Tresemme Heat Tamer. It is really for using heat appliances. I don't blowdry my hair or use any flat-irons/curling irons...but I still like this spray...it doubles as a good leave-in. It helps to de-frizz my hair. My hair can get pretty frizzy on second-day. I have insomnia and refuse to wear any scarfs or such when I'm trying to sleep...or my usual 4-5 hours of sleep will be reduced further. So, I spray it in and then lightly scrunch it, if needed. I will usually pin my long fringe, as it doesn't look good as second-day hair...I will put it back in a barette and bobbypin...voila! It's not exactly like my freshly washed hair, but its cute nevertheless.

CarpeDM
January 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Ok this just made me update my profile...

Because I have fine thin oily hair I wash my hair every day with a Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bar of choice. My favorites are Soapnuts & Sunflower and Honey Beer & Egg, but I also wash my hair with some of their regular soaps like Carrot & Honey Complexion, and Eggnog Spice. I love playing around with different CV soaps. Depending on how dry my hair may feel, I will coat it heavily with Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner and leave it on in the shower for at least 5 minutes then rinse it out. Other times I might do an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. At least once a week I do an AO Blue Green Algae Conditioning Mask for about an hour on my dry hair. I also apply various oils on my dry hair overnight or when I am not going anywhere important and I can let the oils soak in for a while (coconut oil is my staple). I don't use any heat or chemicals on my hair and believe in using all natural products that treat my hair good.

FullMoonTrim
January 26th, 2011, 09:22 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61cCHSsuvYL.jpg
(click to see image of Sleeping Beauty)
I think this style works well for sleeping. Either in two pig tails or in just one pony tail.
Have you ever taken tights and cut them up to make ponytail holders? They work really well for this style.

ooo
January 26th, 2011, 10:13 AM
This reminded me, that I finally have to fill in my routine. I did not really have one, for a long time.

About once a week I c/o wash. Mostly I do two c/o washes at a time. First I use a lighter conditioner, than a heavier one. I don't leave the conditioner too long in the hair maybe three minutes. Same with the ACV. After ACV I rinse my hair really cold.

I bun the towel dry hair at the very top of my hair near my forehead.

No brushing before the hair isn't dry.

Sometimes, as specially when I do use shampoo, I first put in coney conditioner into the ends.

Otherwise I don't use cones. In conditioners I only buy those, that don't have the word "sulfate" in it.

phylsgyrl
January 26th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Routine for right now:

Shampoo wash scalp twice a week with Suave Professionals Almond and Shea Butter, rinse, over-Condition with Suave Professionals Almond and Shea Butter throughout the length, rinse with cool water. Wrap in towel to get majority of water out and run Organix serum through my hair, air dry. I CO wash everyday, and the night before I shampoo wash I run a bunch of Olive oil through my hair in the winter, coconut in the summer (Coconut solidifies too easily for me to use it in the colder months.)

I actually had a question though; for people who use ACV rinses, do you rinse every time you wash? I'm trying to figure out a new routine that involves all-natural and I don't want to over-dry my hair if I rinse with ACV every time I shampoo. Has anybody had a problem with their hair feeling dry from the vinegar after frequent use?

Artsy
January 26th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I have finally settled into a Winter routine after 1/2 year of experimenting:

Every day:
- Movie Star Shampoo method with HE Drama Clean premixed with coconut oil. I wash upside-down to save my canopy hair
- Follow with a lemon/water rinse
- Follow with thin a leave in conditioner on last 2" of my ends
- Put hair in a towel for 1/2 hour, still upside-down
- Blow-dry on low/cool with my fingers upside down. Dry my bangs with paddle brush
- Add cocoveda oil from HennaSooq on my tips if needed

Once a week (I might do just one of there steps, or all during the same week):
- WO/acid rinse or chamomile tea rinse instead of regular wash
- A soak in a thin conditioner for 1 hr or so
- Skip a wash all together on a day when I am off from work, deep oiling
- Wear an updo/braid to work

Once in 2 Weeks or a little less I clarify with shampoo + backing soda, Neutrogena Anti-Residue or Kerastase Clarify (got this one for 5 bucks:p)

Once a month I do indigo, and I do 2 step henna/indigo when I feel like it. Usually after the clarifying wash with BS+shampoo

Rocket22
January 26th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Co washes every other days using shampoo maybe twice a week. I do a coconut oil treatment, just enough to get palms pretty greasy every other night, I put my hair up in somewhat of a bun when I sleep. I leave this oil on till next morning’s wash. I always rinse hair in cold water and follow with diluted white vinegar that I leave in. I air dry most the time if not I will dry on low setting using cold air. I curl with Caruso Rollers and I haven’t touched bleach or dies in 5 months, so far so good Oh and just started on a regular routine with MN three days a week.

Still trying out other routines and stuff.. I’ve tried MSS – liked it! Other oils I’ve mixed; Coconut, EVOO, and Shea Butter, was nice. Did an Avocado and egg and EVOO pack, hair was very soft. So still playing around

Rocket22
January 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM
actually had a question though; for people who use ACV rinses, do you rinse every time you wash? I'm trying to figure out a new routine that involves all-natural and I don't want to over-dry my hair if I rinse with ACV every time I shampoo. Has anybody had a problem with their hair feeling dry from the vinegar after frequent use?

I use it after every time I wash/ co/ or just wet my hair! :) I have so far not noticed any dryness at all. I use white vinegar though. I have noticed my hair is pretty soft and shiny:cheese:

phylsgyrl
January 27th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I use it after every time I wash/ co/ or just wet my hair! :) I have so far not noticed any dryness at all. I use white vinegar though. I have noticed my hair is pretty soft and shiny:cheese:

Awesome thanks for the info!

FullMoonTrim
January 27th, 2011, 10:32 AM
The only time ACV fried my hair is when I did it directly, a few times in a row...without diluting. Otherwise it has been really good for my hair overall.

Becky Safari
January 27th, 2011, 10:42 AM
My routine is not yet set in stone, but here is my current "trial routine"

WASHING (~5 times a week)
Before shower comb out hair from bun, braid, etc.
Wash with Movie Star Method: Prell and Spectrum Coconut Oil 2:1
Rinse out hair, put Suave Coconut Naturals on the ends to detangle
Rinse out hair, put on AVC rinse (haven't found out if it's most beneficial to rinse this out or leave it in)
Always air dry hair

TREATMENTS
Olive oil soak at least once per week
Coconut oil on ends every day
Self-trim as needed, usually every 6 months or so
BBB and detangler comb only

krissykins
January 27th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Hmm, I need to update my routine in my profile. Well, I'll post it here first :p

Coconut oil pre-wash treatment the night before wash day.

CO wash every five days (ish, sometimes I forget and wash before then :silly:) with Suave Fresh Mountain Strawberry Conditioner (leave in for at least twenty minutes, with a massage right after application and right before rinsing out).

Shampoo once a month with Suave Aloe Vera and Waterlily Shampoo, followed by conditioning with Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm.

CO with V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie Conditioner whenever my hair needs protein.

These vitamins. (http://www.vitacost.com/Country-Life-Maxi-Hair)

The Body Shop Wooden Comb.

Jojoba oil applied after wash.

Throw hair in Ficcare bun every day. Randomly braid or wear hair down. I'm not fussy about styling :p

Also, staying healthy and trying to avoid stress! Which is actually a lot harder than it sounds.

Annalouise
January 27th, 2011, 12:25 PM
This will be my routine as I've discontinued with aritha. I don't know if this routine will work or not but here goes:

Daily washing with
diluted castile soap in an herbal tea.
diluted acv rinse.

Nightly scalp massages and an oil with rosemary and lavender essential oils to stimulate the scalp.
combing and brushing with a BBB upsidedown to stimulate scalp.

Heavy oiling once or twice a week or as needed with a coconut or olive oil, infused with horsetail and burdock root.

Clarifying with shampoo if needed to prevent buildup of oils.

And doing another henna gloss (just henna no conditioner) to give myself highlights.

rose.grace
January 27th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I've been here over a year and I still haven't figured it out. Sigh. CO was closest to perfection, but made me shed so much I had to give it up.I'm sorry that this is off topic but my, my, naereid, your avatar and profile pictures are so pretty!

EroSparrow
February 9th, 2011, 11:45 PM
What amazing routines everyone has! So fascinating to me now that I have decided to become a conscientious grower! Does anyone have a recommendation for a bun style that can be worn under a nit hat without getting too messed up-- or for a sleeping cap?

You guys rock! Right now I have no real routine. I just moved from Aveda to Tresemme naturals. And I hendigo on occasion, or to overcome boredom or the urge to cut. How long does the indigo last on your hair. When I last indigod i felt as if my hair was rubbing off blue for 2 weeks! Is that normal?

Now that I am on here though I would say that I have worn my hair up about 5x more per month than I did before. Unfortunately today I had a zipper incident. :mad: Evil coat.

Dark Queen
February 10th, 2011, 12:52 AM
When I go out, I usually do a lazy french twist (similar to this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=124) putting a clip around it so I can be active. Sometimes I'll do a nautilus bun (or something similar). I'm honestly not that great at the buns yet, but I'm getting practice. I really like using spin pins to hold it still.

littlenvy
March 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM
:)
I finally found something that’s constantly working for me and takes care off all the problems I have.

Wash every 3-4 days with:

Castor/Amla oil mix – 50/50 with a drop of Neem oil.
Massage well into scalp. I kind of wash my scalp with this oil.
Keep on for 1 hour.
CO wash. I add few drops of EVOO to my conditioner as well as about 2 oz of Senna tea. Shake and apply.

Every 3rd wash (or about twice a month):

I rinse my hair with Senna tea after the one hour of oil and shampoo with SLS free shampoo or clarifying shampoo if needed, apply conditioner and rinse with mild ACV rinse.

Once in a while if my ends are a bit dry I will treat them with a bit of Camellia oil or Shea butter if its pre wash night.

This routine gives me hair that does not get greasy, has nice volume and slip, and no itchy scalp!

NouvelleNymphe2
March 24th, 2011, 03:15 PM
❤❤❤Bonjour❤❤❤Free of cones, chemicals, heat, and brushing when wet. Very gentle careful handling. My seamless wide tooth pick and BBB are wonderful! Currently I CWC every 4th day using Aubrey Organics Luxurious Chamomile and a no cone conditioner (Garnier). On my in between days I shower, but try to avoid getting my hair wet. The ends usually do get wet, but I do not stand under the shower, I avoid soaking my hair and focus on other washing duties. I used to CO on my in between days, but this left me too oily, and I was also going through TONS of conditioner. Taking showers and not getting my hair wet and not washing my hair is working out nicely. My hair is getting oily slowler this way, and I'm saving money in terms of conditioner usage. I dry my hair using an old t-shirt, and let that absorb most of the water. When damp/dryer I finger comb and add a tiny bit of Fox's Leave-in to the separated strands. A short time after that I use my seamless wide tooth pick to pick out gently my hair every 5 minutes or so until it dries. Then I use a fine tooth seamless comb to really refine the look. Then I gently flip my hair over and give it 10 gentle BBB passes , and it looks lovely. Then usually, but not always, I put it up to protect it if I am leaving my apt. My favorite oils are camellia, avocado, kukui, and coconut. When hair is dry 10 gentle passes with my BBB does a great job distributing natural oils to the length of my hair. I am almost out of shampoo and purchased Avalon Organics Lavender shampoo and an Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. I also purchased AO White Camellia shampoo and conditioner. Since I am using less product lately, I thought I would only use organic! I think high quality combs, picks, and brushes make a big difference. I also like to add a lot of protein to my hair with oils, raw butters, and organic aloe vera. I usually just add some to my first C in a normal CWC. I recently used Logona natural brown mixed with golden blond (60-40) and I LOVE the result (see siggy). I'll probably continue using Logona once a month with cassia treatments in-between. I have also been thinking about buying a few Jason Organic products, specifically the Jojoba shampoo and conditioner and the Sea Kelp shampoo and conditioner. (Continue Below)

I really enjoy using Cassia Obovada and Yemeni henna that I purchase from the hennasooq. I will not use any citris the next time I mix up a henna gloss. That was very drying. Another great tip I've learned from the LHC is not trimming. I used to trim every 4-6 weeks, and was always puzzled why my hair didn't grow faster. Now I am trying to trim every 6 months. Once my hair is longer I want a nice pair of scissors to dust off splits. Currently, I'm searching Ebay for a nice satin or silk pillowcase. I really like hairtoys, but really dislike when they snag hairs. I like my flexi-8s, but some snag more than others. I have heard ficcares snag quite a few hairs, which get caught in the springs. So I'm just going to stick to my basic claw, as I don't have trouble with snagging in the springs. All of my hair ties are really old and stretched out, and I love this! They don't pull on my hair at all. I also take a low dose of all the B vitamins every day.

einna
March 25th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Good idea for a thread. I love to read about routines!
My hair is a mix of things: straight top layer and wavy underhair, fine but with much hair and volume, virgin healthy top and coloured dry ends, blond and brown haircolour.
So its hard to make all of my hair happy at once.

Routine:
I just started CO, about twice a week. I use a nordic brand call Neutral, with no perfume, parabens or silicones, with a richer conditioner or a DT in the ends. Like a CWC with only CO. Cold water rinse in the end.

DT, leave ins and oiling: TBS Hair Butter, EVOO, jojoba, coconut oil, Joico K-pak.
No heat, hairspray or dye. Airdry loose.
Wide tooth comb. Satin pillowcase.

Sometimes:
ACV, CWC, clearifying shampoo, protein.

Supplements:
Brewers yeast and multivitamins with omega 3.

Ongoing project:
CO and learning updoes.
Trimming it myself, using Feyes methods. Ends needs to be trimmed every 3 months, hopefully less often when virgin.

Plans:
Grow to a strong BSL, maybe waist?
Less (and better) layers. All virgin (last 3 inches has old dye in it). I plan to achieve this by gradually trimming it myself.
When it is long enough, espessially my shortest layers, I will go to a good hairdresser for a good trim and to cut new long layers in my hair.

TheMechaGinger
March 25th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I've settled into one finally. I always pre-oil my hair (any kind of oil, coconut, olive etc.), sometimes lightly an hour or so before a wash or a little more heavily the night before and then I braid it so it soaks in really well. I co-wash every other day, sometimes every two days with a vo5 or suave conditioner. I like the suave coconut kind, or the free me freesia or sun-kissed raspberry vo5 kind the best. I can buy a big bottle for 77 cents and it gives me gorgeous soft hair, how awesome is that? To make my hair really really soft I co wash, and then do an AVC rinse and then put in another generous amount of conditioner and let it sit for a while, really rubbing it into my ends before i rinse it out with cold water. I probably do that once a week. I occasionally wash it with a burt's bees shampoo, currently the grapefruit one, if that's the case I don't wash it again for another 3 days because that stuff makes my hair squeaky clean. And I use a lot of coconut oil. I apply that to my ends daily. Anytime I need to clarify I just use some baking soda. I can't use SLS because it irritates my scalp and makes me shed like crazy, and my hair hates cones as well.

AnqeIicDemise
March 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I've been on this routine for about nine months, maybe more. I lost track:

Wed: wash/co & air dry.

Sun: Wash/co & air dry.

It in't until this past Wed that I started oiling since I realized CO alone was not helping my hair at all.

AnqeIicDemise
March 25th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Ps: I also forgot to add that I take biotin supplements every day. I also had to start taking Vit C, calcium and D every day per doctors orders. I'm running out of biotin so I'm looking for an all-in-one hair and nails supplements.

Cirafly24
March 25th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I wash every 3-4 days. I use Head & Shoulders shampoo for dandruff, which has sulfates, on my scalp only. I have a very oily scalp, so I usually have to wash twice. Then I use a cone-free conditioner, either Tressemme Naturals or Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. Finally, I do a rinse with 1 oz of ACV to 16 oz cold, filtered water. I try not to get it on my scalp, as it tends to cause itching and/or flakiness with prolonged contact.

After washing, I detangle with my Heavenly Harvest horn comb, or with my The Body Shop wood pin brush (yes I brush when wet, my hair does not tangle much and I've never had any breakage or damage from this). I then use a pea-sized amount of Nightblooming's Vegan Panacea (now called her Summer blend) on the length and ends.

Between washings, if I need to dampen my hair, I use a mister bottle with a mix of water, FOTE aloe vera gel, and a few drops of jojoba oil.

I sleep with my hair in a bee butt bun at the nape of my neck covered with a satin sleep cap.

The day before wash day, I use a scalp treatment consisting of Mega-Tek, castor oil, Nightblooming's Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil (sometimes I substitute jojoba or camellia oil), AVG, and water. Please see my blog for the recipe.

I keep my hair up in protective styles (mostly buns) about 95% of the time, I don't use any dyes, and I don't heat style.

I'm doing the No Trims in 2011 challenge, so I'm doing a lot of S&D :)

ETA: I also take 2000mg of MSM and 1000mcg of Biotin every day, in addition to a multivitamin.

RitaCeleste
March 25th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I color my hair so once a week or every other week I use Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor. I break down and use some shampoo before this treatment usually, then do the treatment. Then use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose as a leave in. I oil with Meadowfoam seed oil when it wet or later when its dry.
The rest of the time, I oil it up really good with Vatika Coconut Hair Oil about an hour or two before I co-wash with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, or some other conditioner. Then I use the Honeysuckle Rose as a leave-in and oil it Meadowfoam seed oil. I like both oils but I tend to over do the coconut oil so I have to just do it before I wash.
Today was a really bad day. I tried a new color and I'm not too impressed with it. I did use Hair Emergenee first and oiled with coconut and did seem to help protect my hair.