PDA

View Full Version : new medication and no more growth...Encouragement needed!

Alaskanheart
June 8th, 2008, 09:07 PM
My hair has been growing so fast, close to 1 inch per month and some months more since I joined last September, but the last 2 months my growth has stopped and I'm a bit sad about it.I would have made it to BSL by September if the growth continued.

Ive been on a medication that is a must since March.

Also the medication has made me lose my appetite so I am not getting enough nutrition.

I also lost weight because of this, and am now on a 2400 calorie diet to gain weight back and exercising with light weights to make sure those calories don't all turn into fat and cause further health problems (doctors orders).I'm hoping the diet will help to get my hair growing again.I'm using ensure also to help, and taking my regular vitamins.

I guess I just need some encouragement, I cant stop the medication, but its starting to worry me that my hair might not grow anymore while I am on it.Its kind of depressing after such great growth and hard work to think I wont be able to grow long after all.:(At least not til I can stop the Meds. and that could be years.

So far though I haven't noticed a change in thickness or health of the hair so I'm happy about that but I'm only a bit past APL my goal is waist.

Thanks for letting me vent about it, Im sure anyone outside of LHC wouldn't understand why my lack of hair growth is worrying me right now.

toodramatik
June 8th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Awh. Hug. I'm sure your body's just adjusting to the new medication and hopefully your 1-inch-a-month will be back, and then some! Until then you know you can always vent here and we're always willing to listen and help in the form of advice anyway we can =]]

jojo
June 8th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I know its disappointing when this happens but as the previous poster said your body may just be going through an adjustment period, plus you say you havent been eating very well due to the medication, so again this will stall your growth.

Do you take a multi vitamin at all? Im thinking with you losing weight, your hair is the last thing your body will be supplying nourishment too, so maybe a multi vitamin, if your not already taking them may help.

Try not to worry though, stress is the last thing you need right now, just concentrate on getting better and putting some of those lost pounds back on, the rest will fall into place then.

All the best xx

lilalong
June 9th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I'm sure your loss of hair growth has something to do with you not eating right. Think about it, why would your body waste all the protein and energy to make new hair, when it's fighting not to starve. I'm sure with your new diet, hair growth will be back to normal soon.

FrannyG
June 9th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I really understand your frustration, but I'm sure that once your body is adjusted to your new diet, and to the medication, you'll have a very happy growth spurt.

In the meantime, hugs to you. :grouphug:

Alaskanheart
June 9th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks all, Im sure its mostly the diet issue thats keeping my hair from growing too.Im working on that really hard, Its just frustrating because my LHC year anniversary is getting closer and Im 2 inches or so shorter than I would have been had I not had to take this Medicine.Im hoping I get a good growth spurt after the weight issue is back to normal like frannyG said.Right now I feel like all I do is eat, but at least Im not going to mcdonalds everyday and getting all my calories in one meal.Im trying to do it the healthy way.

spidermom
June 9th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Try not to worry. Growth stalls are actually quite normal. I have them from time to time for no reason that I'm aware of. I always tell myself that some of my shorter, newer hairs are surely growing, but I can't see length increase because they're not my longest hairs. But they soon will be!

Alaskanheart
June 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks Spidermom, I am not going to worry about it anymore.At least Im not shedding more than usual.I was just reading too that some hairloss and slow growth will happen when the body adjusts to all new medications.