PDA

View Full Version : Protein and Split ends question

WaitingSoLong
January 24th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Can someone tell me or direct me to what ingredients are protein? My hair hates protein and I need to avoid it.

Also, I was asked advice on preventing splits from a non-LHC person. I know the standard answers:

Work on your hair detangling methods

Start finding out what dries your hair: sulfates, etc.

Look for lifestyle issues: swimming/chlorine, hair dye, etc.

Heat styling

Too frequent of washes

What am I missing? I directed this person to LHC but they are not interested. I want to give her a good answer. :D It is an internet friend and she says it is genetic but I get the feeling that is sort of an excuse. She ASKED for advice so...

Thanks in Advance!

ravenreed
January 24th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Amino acids are proteins. I look for silk, wheat, and soy as those are usually proteins as well. Coconut products seem to be protein laden, as well as other nuts like almond.

jojo
January 24th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I have only just re-discovered protein, my hair used to get very dry and crunchy but now it loves it!

Words to look for in a protein containing conditioner are;
wheat protein
soy
silk protein
re constructor
hydrolysed
yoghurt

Can't think of any more but if you stick to conditioner which use the words moisturiser or hydrating in them, you should be safe!

Anje
January 24th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Anything Amino Acids
Hydrolyzed Anything
Anything Protein (duh!)
Keratin
Collagen

Those last two are ones you just have to know. Hair is made of keratin, while collagen is a connective tissue protein that makes skin and tissues strong and tear-resistant. Both are long, fibrous proteins on a molecular level, and I can pretty much guarantee that in your products they will be of animal origin.

"Reconstructing" and "strengthening" products often are protein-laden, too. But you really need to read the ingredients.

ETA: You asked about split protection too....
I'd say the two really big ones for me are (1) careful detangling, and (2) keeping hair contained and protected from friction. With my hair, tangles tend to form little knots that need really careful untying, or the hair will break or get mangled, and that later turns into a split. Combing/brushing in a manner that breaks hairs is bad. Keeping hair contained minimizes the formation of these little tangles, and it prevents it from getting rubbed on chairs and shoulder straps. Friction from chairs seems to be a problem for many people in the APL-BSL range, and it seems to be the major culprit for people at BSL complaining that their hair doesn't get longer. Obviously, heat styling and chemical treatments like bleach/peroxide and perms are also detrimental to hair, but most people know this.

WaitingSoLong
January 25th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks everyone!

swivelhop
January 25th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Glutamic Acid is very popular in many brands now too.