PDA

View Full Version : *Please* recommend me an S&D hair scissors?!

LocustSpawning
January 24th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I've looked through a few threads like this, and most of the scissors recommended are too expensive for me, or are only found in American stores.

About 2 months ago I bought some Japanese salon scissors online, and now I'm suddenly seeing white dots everywhere, nothing in my routine has changed, I baby my hair *a lot* so I think it could just be the scissors. I paid £15 for them so I thought they'd be better than that :( Oh well.

I really want to get rid of this damage with new better scissors before it gets worse, but I have no idea what's good and what isn't.

Thanks!!

Gabriel
January 24th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Hi LocustSpawning :).

I'm not sure if Sally's delivers to your area but they have a few pairs that probably would be good. This is the cheapest from the same brand I have had for a long, long, long time, Fromm Edge Ahead Barber Shear (http://www.sallybeauty.com/barber-shears/SBS-525030,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH). It's not the exact pair I have (it's not made anymore?) but it is from the same brand and seems like a fairly good pair.

Even better though, if you have some local beauty supply shops, just walk in and ask about the kinds they have. Don't purchase any where they are in those packages that let people open and shut them because they aren't all encased and protected. Plus you never know if someone has tried them on paper or other materials. In a sealed container/thing of plastic you know they haven't been used on anything.

Normally though at a good supply shop the scissors will be behind the counter so they aren't damaged or played with.

I want to say I think I remember some folks using those stork scissors (embroidery?) because they are really sharp. I'm not sure though but I'm sure someone will chime in about them soon or search will yield some results about them.

Hope this helps a little and if not that someone in your area will have a recommendation.

enfys
January 24th, 2011, 09:09 AM
For S&D and trims, I use Tweezerman's hair shears. £20 from Boots. That was before VAT went up, so they may be 20.0 or something now :p

I really get on with them, and they do free sharpening!

myria
January 24th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I have a pair of boots own brand ones, I bought them just after xmas. They came as a set with thinning scissors (i binned them) for about £6. They are fine so far.

LocustSpawning
January 24th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for these replies! -

Enfys, I think I'm going to get the same one as you. It has gone up by 43p, but I can live with that :P

Thankyou again!

Anje
January 24th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Wait, white dots up in the shaft of the hairs, or at the very tips? (Usually, the term "white dots" seems to refer to the ones that appear higher along the hair shaft.) Unless the dots are at the tip of the hair (and are clearly not dust), I don't think you can blame your shears.

LocustSpawning
January 24th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Yep, they're only right at the ends. (Sorry, I shoulda said that in the first post.)