PDA

View Full Version : Long hair SURPRISE!

jane53
January 24th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I've always had long hair, but lately--most of the past semester and most of this mini-term--I've been wearing it up in a lazy French twist. I figured most students knew me and knew I was wearing long hair up.

Last week, I wore it down in a ponytail for the first time in months and several students in my class gasped "OMG! I didn't know your hair was SO LONG!!!"

I guess I figured since we're a small college, everyone sees and knows everyone, but of course that's not the case. Many of the students who were taking a course from me for the first time really didn't know I had long hair.

So the next class day, I wore my hair down, with the front bits pulled back into a small figure-eight bun.

Again, the students loved it. I told them I'd been wearing it up because I was sick of hearing people say "people your age, yadda yadda" and I was resisting a chop. A group gathered around after class and said (one literal statement) "If you chop, you'll disturb the universe!!"

I said, "I'm older than your parents. Don't you think I should have a proper middle-aged lady bob?" And they said NO NO NO!

:cheese::cheese::cheese:

(have I mentioned, I have a really great class of students this mini-term?)

spidermom
January 24th, 2011, 08:12 AM
You do have a great class! And hi - nice to see you. I was wondering where you've been just yesterday.

sophiamarie
January 24th, 2011, 08:38 AM
What a lovely compliment to you. Your hair is beautiful, and it's nice that the young people see and appreciate it!

jojo
January 24th, 2011, 09:08 AM
This is such a positive post and made me smile.

Marjolein
January 24th, 2011, 09:23 AM
It sounds to me like you have a group of very very INTELLIGENT students this mini-term :D.

Love your post and your hair!!

Debra83
January 24th, 2011, 09:29 AM
That's very cool, I love those unexpected ones - they are such genuine appreciation!

anodyne_ame
January 24th, 2011, 12:54 PM
This post made me smile too. It always feels so great to get genuine compliments, your students are so nice :)

carabean
January 24th, 2011, 12:57 PM
You must be a very cool prof. Tough job, that one!

Cupofmilk
January 24th, 2011, 01:09 PM
You are great! There was an article in the UK Sunday Times this week about women over 40 going for the chop. The author herself didnt' want to but there were the usual suspect comments from beauty professionals saying how long hair was for the youthful and it could be aging and blah blah blah.... my mother piped up at that point that I was too old for long hair and really a nice bob would b far more flattering.
Strangely I was thinking of you and spiedermom - my long hair inspiratiom on here - you can grow at any age have great hair and be respected for it. So pleased you have received great comments about your hair. It is amazing

Jenn of Pence
January 24th, 2011, 03:35 PM
That's a great story! I'm glad you have such a cool class this term...I hope they all get extra credit! ;)

McFearless
January 24th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I told them I'd been wearing it up because I was sick of hearing people say "people your age, yadda yadda" NO!

Wait do people actually say that to you? :disgust: I think your hair is gorgeous.

ibleedlipstick
January 24th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Yay! A happy comment post on anti-chopping! It made me smile :cheese:

Rivanariko
January 24th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I'm still confused as to how long hair is "youthful" but it also ages you? I don't get that at all.

yotaka
January 24th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I'm still confused as to how long hair is "youthful" but it also ages you? I don't get that at all.

hahaha Good point!

Lishamatish
January 24th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Hello :)

I'm new but just wanted to pop in and say that your hair is beautiful and I have never understood why age should stop you from doing anything you want! Especially from having such enviable hair.

x Gracie

MissManda
January 24th, 2011, 04:14 PM
What a wonderful story! :D It is so wonderful to hear that you have such an awesome class of students! Thanks for sharing!

teela1978
January 24th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Awesome! At my last job I surprised a co-worker when I finally wore it in a ponytail as well. Its amazing how much hair you can hide in an updo!

Beatnik Guy
January 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Awesome. :D

Stephichan
January 24th, 2011, 05:00 PM
It's great to hear a positive story about reaction to long hair! Congrats! :D

leoninnu
January 24th, 2011, 05:18 PM
What awesome students you have! I'm also of the opinion that no one should have to cut their hair based on some arbitrary reason such as "you are at this age already, you're supposed to cut it!" For some people it works, yes, but no to everyone. It depends on so much things. In fact when I was a kid there was this family next door whose mother had beautiful long hair and she often kept it open too. She always looked so youthful. Then she cut her hair and suddenly looked like she had aged 10 years over night. It works both ways and you should never have to do anything just because you're supposed to :)

bumblebums
January 24th, 2011, 05:36 PM

Like short skirts. If you wear a short skirt, it emphasizes your youth if you are young, but it makes you look silly and desperate if you're not. At least that's how I read it--not that I believe the hair part of the equation at all.

My impression is that younger people, especially the types that end up in liberal arts colleges, do not go around telling older women to wear their hair short. It's generally something older women do to each other. I certainly wouldn't expect to hear it from someone younger than me.

utdesertrunner
January 25th, 2011, 12:56 PM
What a fun surprise!

In junior high I had a teacher that always wore her hair in a french braid tucked under. At the award ceremony she surprised everyone by wearing it down and wearing a dress. It almost hit her knees! She was beautiful. Such a fun surprise!

I would love to do that!

Tressie
January 25th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Good for them, and YOU! (o:

tinti
January 25th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Aww, that's so great! Love happy longhair moments :)

jane53
January 26th, 2011, 07:30 AM
In response to some comment above: Yes, everyone got extra credit!:eyebrows:

This one girl in class has been bringing candy, so I brought a huge sack of candy yesterday. We are one sugar-charged mini-term class! It was a gray, rainy day and the sugar zip was a plus.

I think I'll adopt all 25 at the fast-approaching end of the term.:cheese:

One of the girls in class said her mother used to have long hair and cut it and "now just looks so average."

The girl who brings candy is Muslim and covers her hair, but hers is long (never seen it), and I met her mother yesterday dropping her off. She looked soooo young, but is probably mid 40s. We were chatting and she said her hair is long and at least being covered, she doesn't have to hear comments about her hair being too long for her age. She just hears comments about how it's weird wearing beautiful hijabs every day.

So if people want to make stupid comments, they'll find SOMETHING to comment on, dang 'em.

Kerynna
January 26th, 2011, 09:35 AM
That is a GREAT anecdote. Thanks for sharing! (Says the 47 yo lady with the waist length hair. ;) )

krissykins
January 26th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I agree with your students, don't you dare cut that beautiful hair! It's good to know that we young people do have a little sense haha

tigr
January 26th, 2011, 09:43 AM
So if people want to make stupid comments, they'll find SOMETHING to comment on, dang 'em.

LOL! This is so true!

HintOfMint
January 26th, 2011, 10:06 AM
What a wonderful story! Your students sound great!

polette
January 26th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I love this thread.

I have always found something strikingly beautiful about older woman with long hair and that embrace silvering. I will always remember some 15 years ago on a family vacation, we where at the hotels pool, and a woman, probably in her early 70s was there with BSL silver hair. I absolutely loved it, and I will never forget it :)

SpinDance
January 26th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Great story, thank you for sharing! I love it, "disturb the universe" indeed!

I've asked my kids (both boys) and several of their friends (happened to be girls) about hair length and age and they just look at me like I'm crazy and tell me that hair length has nothing to do with it, and people should wear their hair however they want.

Little_Bird
January 26th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I absolutely loved to read your story :D

scorpio_rising
January 26th, 2011, 04:20 PM
That rocks! My faith in humanity is renewed. :D

dragonmyst
January 26th, 2011, 04:36 PM
This made me happy. :D

Lostsoule77
January 26th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Jane53 that is just great! I always hate when older women chop off all their hair. I see all these older women with short, short hair and wonder why. I love seeing a long head of white hair (I know your not there yet, just saying.)

It's gotta feel really good to hear confirmation of what you feel. :) :applause

thatjengirl1
January 26th, 2011, 10:24 PM
That's a great story! how fun to have somewhere to "show your hair off"
he he :eyebrows:

LadyJennifer
January 27th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I think long hair on an older lady is much more graceful that a bob! JMO:)