PDA

View Full Version : Straight hemline too fast???

carabean
January 24th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Hi guys,

In November, I cut 3 inches from my hair in order to form a straight hemline. I wanted to go long and to be able to do my trims myself, so I thought that these kind of ends would be easiest.

However, I am noticing that the sides of my hair (closest to my face where the layers were) are really bearing the brunt of growing long without a trim. I am cutting splits every night!

Do you think I went to a straight hemline too fast? Does this make sense? :confused:

Kherome
January 24th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Nah, I doubt it's the straight hemline causing the problems. The hair near the face and at the nape of the neck always seems to take the worst beating no matter what. All you can do it S&D and handle your hair gently.

carabean
January 24th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks so much, Kherome! I am feeling a lot less worried!

Kherome
January 24th, 2011, 07:37 AM
No problem. My hair is waist and straight hemmed, and my splits usually appear in those 2 places. They just seem to receive more battering than the other places.

jojo
January 24th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I agree with this ^^ my hair is also finer at the sides and gets the worst of the splits!

Don't worry all is fine!

pepperminttea
January 24th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Just chiming in to say me too! I always have to trim more splits off the front pieces than the back.

Anje
January 24th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Same here. The hair near my face is finer, seems like it grows slower, and it takes a beating. I think it's got shorter terminal lengths, too, since a decent number of them don't seem to go much beyond my collarbones, and I'm not losing all of it to splits.

McFearless
January 24th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Yep same here too. Thats why I usually have a U shaped hemline.

jojo
January 24th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Same here. The hair near my face is finer, seems like it grows slower, and it takes a beating. I think it's got shorter terminal lengths, too, since a decent number of them don't seem to go much beyond my collarbones, and I'm not losing all of it to splits.

Sounds like my hair that, in fact some of the front bits look like fairy tails; not much I can do about it.

MrsGuther
January 24th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Nah, I doubt it's the straight hemline causing the problems. The hair near the face and at the nape of the neck always seems to take the worst beating no matter what. All you can do it S&D and handle your hair gently.

I agree. I think that the hair around the hairline and at the nape of the neck is the most vulnerable. I have the same problem.

owlathena
January 25th, 2011, 01:11 AM
My stylist once told me that the front is prone to splits because we touch and fuss with it the most, tucking it behind our ears and such. Makes sense.

Mesmerise
January 25th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Mine is definitely worse around my face - especially as it's the hair in the front that I used to blowdry (I never bothered drying all my hair, but it wouldn't sit right if I didn't blowdry the hair at the front).

However, I think when you cut off a few inches to get a straight hemline, you do cut off less from the sides (cause you're evening them up), so they will probably be worse than the back of your hair.

However, I don't think that matters much! Just keep treating your hair well and it will improve.

carabean
January 25th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Aww...you guys are amazing....thanks so much for the reassurance!

GuardGirl
January 25th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I agree. I think that the hair around the hairline and at the nape of the neck is the most vulnerable. I have the same problem.

Mrs.Guther! Hey! I think you and I have the same sort of genetic growth pattern. Hmmm. Wonder why?! :)