PDA

View Full Version : Sunburnt scalp

julliams
January 23rd, 2011, 10:35 PM
I was at a water theme park yesterday and today I have discovered that my scalp is burnt. It's not super painful but it's uncomfortable. What can I put on my scalp to help? I have Aloe Gel so I guess I could use that. Any other tips?

rosek
January 23rd, 2011, 11:02 PM
I usually slather it in aloe gel. An iceblock/pack may also feel nice, but don't leave it on there for too long. Just treat it like normal sunburn. And next time you wash your hair, be careful that the water isn't too hot!

I always have trouble getting sunburned on my scalp - I put sunscreen in my hair now when I go to the beach. It washes out really easily, and my scalp dosent get burned.

Sinisiew
January 23rd, 2011, 11:47 PM
and dont panic when yu start flaking. To keep the flaking to a minimum, oil your scalp after you've put aloe vera on it, coconut oil should be awesome on sunburns since it is lightly anti-inflammatory and helps heal scarring

Heartwillfollow
January 24th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I used chamomile tea that was chilled to sooth my skin around my eyes , they got sun scrotched when I was plowing everyone out after a blizzard for a couple of days.. It was what I had on hand and I new it was a wonderful anti inflamitory and good for the skin.

Hope your feeling better :)

milagro
January 24th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Can scalp really get sunburnt? I've experienced dreadful hair damage and bleaching after being in hot sun for too long, usually at seaside, but never an actual scalp burn :???: Can it be irritation from salt/chlorinated water? Just wondering.
Anyway I suggest some soothing mask like plain yoghurt. Chamomile tea rinse calms down irritation very well, too (and it will go well with your hair color).

julliams
January 24th, 2011, 03:00 AM
It's right along my part. It's definitely sunburn. Here in Australia it's just one of the things we have to be mindful of. And actually I think it's more prone to sunburn since it is generally not "weathered" by the sun. What happens is it gets very red and sore and then it flakes (peels) just like regular skin on your body would if it got sunburnt.

milagro
January 24th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Yes it must be sunburn then. Do try yoghurt or sourmilk, it's great for sun-burns treatment. I think you don't have to pile it on all your head, just the burnt part. And it rinses off ok.
I guess you could also use panthenol cream to speed up natural skin healing but I'm not sure if it rinses well.
Hope your scalp feels better very soon!

stefafra
January 24th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Can scalp really get sunburnt? I've experienced dreadful hair damage and bleaching after being in hot sun for too long, usually at seaside, but never an actual scalp burn :???: Can it be irritation from salt/chlorinated water? Just wondering.
Anyway I suggest some soothing mask like plain yoghurt. Chamomile tea rinse calms down irritation very well, too (and it will go well with your hair color).
Yes! Every bit of your body can get sunburnt, at least every bit of mine, for sure.
My parting get bunt on average every summer, even if I try to put sunblock on it, or keep a hat.
And it hurts.
Aloe vera gel, aftersun or a line of cucumber slices could be useful, if it is only the parting that's burnt moving the hair to cover it is a good idea.

jojo
January 24th, 2011, 05:49 AM
I do this every time I go in the sun, a yoghurt soak always works for me.

Just get a tub of plain yoghurt, wet hair and then apply yoghurt for about 30 minutes, it takes the sting and redness out. i use this for normal (skin) sunburn too.

Rowanne
January 24th, 2011, 06:01 AM
My best friend for treating burnt scalp is liquid cortisone. Just remember to use it in the evening when you're not going back to the sun anymore because your skin will burn more easily right after you've applied the cortisone.