PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had a drastic haircut

ldc441
January 23rd, 2011, 08:53 PM
Did you like it/ regret it

leoninnu
January 23rd, 2011, 09:11 PM
I had to cut away a perm that had just become a tangled mess since I didn't particularly enjoy having one huge dreadlock in my head :pinktongue: I had a cut from about between hip and tailbone (when pulled straight) to 1 inch. And I hated it. Really really hated it. I have fine hair so many hair information sources are always touting that I should have pixie cut so that my hair wouldn't hang so limp and that it would have even some volume in it but it has never been as limp as when it was short. I had to use a ton of gel in my hair or else it looked like I had a swimming cap in my head.

It was good enough a shock to make me properly realize that I have to take better care of my hair. Unfortunately though it still took me a few years to understand what a good haircare is :shake: But it was a beginning at least and I might still be the old shampoo only, never cut, rarely untangle, hair always open girl that I was before that if it had never happened.

AspenSong
January 23rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
Yep - From tailbone to shoulder length at the prodding of family members. I have regretted it with all my heart for the last 7 years. =/

misspriss
January 23rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
From waist to ear length a week or two ago.

I really like it, I was just at a point in my life where I needed something different. I'm probably going to grow it back out again in the not too distant future, but that is neither here nor there at this point.

Oh and people ask me if I tease my hair, because it has so much volume short. If I don't style it, and sleep with it wet, I swear it sticks straight up. Remember, it is ear length, but it dries sticking STRAIGHT up. It has a lot more volume.

christine1989
January 23rd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Yep- waist to a layered pixie cut around 10th grade. I LOVED it and kept it for a while before transitioning to a one length bob then finally deciding to grow it out.

naomimcc
January 23rd, 2011, 09:44 PM
From waist to ear length a week or two ago.

I really like it, I was just at a point in my life where I needed something different. I'm probably going to grow it back out again in the not too distant future, but that is neither here nor there at this point.

ditto. I needed a change and had been thinking about it for years. I love it!

Rabya-Khadija
January 23rd, 2011, 09:58 PM
I had waist length cut to a 'pob' about 3 years ago-hated it and just left it, so glad it grew back fast through sheer neglect... It was a bad idea and more than likely just through boredom :D

CariadA
January 23rd, 2011, 10:00 PM
I cut my hair to chin length when I was 13. I hated it and grew it out. Two years ago, it was cut to shoulder length. I grew that out as soon as I could, too. I have secretly always wanted to try a pixie cut (and DH has always said I would look good in a Winona Ryder-esq pixie, too) but I have been too scared. I just like my long hair. DH was just telling me last night that he prefers hair to be either pixie length or really long, but nothing in between. That's kind of how I feel about my own hair, too. Since long hair is so much more feminine and beautiful, so I think I'm sticking with it.

BTW, leoninnu, I also think thin hair looks much thinner when it is short. That would be my fear in having short hair.

WynneWear
January 23rd, 2011, 10:02 PM
In 2003 cut my BSL hair to a chin length bob. HATED it.

Cirafly24
January 23rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
In 2002, I cut my waist length blond hair to just below chin length and dyed it red. I liked it, but I didn't keep it short (or red!)for long. That was during a 5 year period when I tried nearly every haircut and color there is.

Fufu
January 23rd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Yup I have.. from long hair to pixie or neck length hair.

I didn't regret it.. although after a few months I do miss my long hair :)

tinywife
January 23rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
I've done it a couple times. The change is a temporary "high," but I always wanted long hair again after awhile. It always grows, though, so I wouldn't say I regretted any of my drastic cuts.
Now, there was a SMALL cut that was so bad (as in absolutely everything I hate about short hair, and nothing I like) that I ended up finding LHC! Guess every cloud has a silver lining.

Tia2010
January 23rd, 2011, 11:33 PM
Yes. and I loved it :D I went from mid back bleach blond hair to a short cropped pixie. I did it to get rid of damage but liked it so much I kept it that way for years.....Actually, right before I joined LHC I was considering doing it again ...but decided to grow it long instead :)

Freki
January 23rd, 2011, 11:36 PM
Yes, twice. And I regretted it both times.

The first was when I was 12, I cut my BSL hair into a super short pixie cut. That was right around the time I hit puberty and gained a bunch of weight... I got teased relentlessly.

The second time was three years ago. I cut it from tail-bone length to chin length. It's just now back to hip length, thank goodness.

serious
January 24th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Yes, from waist to pixie and I loved it and kept it for years!

milagro
January 24th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I had long ago, from about WL to nape/chin. Felt fantastic because I had never had short hair before. I didn't regret it and enjoyed short hair for a few years after.

Ishje
January 24th, 2011, 12:36 AM
the last dramatic change to my hair was bleaching, I love the new color, but I regret that my hair is in a bad condition now XD
I'd probably do it again though...

Nini
January 24th, 2011, 01:20 AM
I cut from hip to earlength back in 5th grade. I had thought about it for over a year, and I never regretted it, but I started growing it back straight away, more or less:)

I had a very talkative hairdresser, and she kept asking me "Are you sure, are you really sure you wanna do this?!?!?!", as she had cut half of it off at that moment I was definitely very sure:D

Avital88
January 24th, 2011, 01:22 AM
In 2004 i cut my hair from waist to shoulderlenght and a few months later it was chin lenght.
I liked my long hair better but chin lenght i kinda liked, i only lost a lot of 'friends' because of my haircut.
I was in highschool and i was well known for my long hair, when that was gone, everyone was gone..so weird,i will never ever cut my hair again.

Milo
January 24th, 2011, 01:57 AM
In 2005 I went from bsl to a layered bob, barely chin length (it was a mommy cut, I was trying to get pregnant with my second at the time). After the newness wore off, I hated it. I had to style it everyday, it was too short to tie back for the longest time! I'll never cut it that short again. I'm glad I'm back at bsl now.

snippet
January 24th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Before 2000 I was a hair length yo yo. I never regretted any of my cuts. After the shock of a new cut, I could enjoy the cut, then look forward to what I would do next.

I did regret a too-curly perm once.

Mesmerise
January 24th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Oh goodness... I have been a chop/grow my entire life. Almost EVERY time I've chopped my hair I've started growing it straight away again too! You'd think I'd learn :rolleyes:... but even now I occasionally think of chopping it off... but I know I'd just start growing again!

I started this before school... I remember wanting my hair cut short before I started primary school (I was 4), and had it cut to chin length with a fringe. I grew it until late grade 3 when I cut it back to chin length... grew it again until year 7 when I had it cut to shoulder length... then at the end of the year a ghastly perm... I sort of grew that perm out a bit, before getting another one... then chopping all that perm out to ear length (about year 10)... grew it long again, had another bad perm about 3 years later, had it straightened... errm dyed it red then black... then a year or so later chopped it to above my ears! Well and so on and so forth...

The one thing that stands out is I have ALWAYS grown again... ALWAYS... there was a brief time when I kept it short for almost a year without getting the urge to grow it again (that was about 2003), but then I grew it out from short, had layers cut off to a chin length bob... grew it again...then I had some layers put in (they were weird at first... but eventually they grew out okay) but also had blonde foils in... I had those done a couple of times, but was starting to get damage so chopped it back to shoulder length and have been growing since then (November 2009).

Phew! The thing I should learn from this is NOT TO CUT MY HAIR cause I ALWAYS grow it again!! And I get sooo tired of all those in between lengths lol. I was tempted the past few months to chop due to massive shedding, but have resisted the urge beyond a couple of trims (1.5 to 2" so not teenie trims).

I think though, that when I get to 50... I'll probably be ready to embrace my natural colour, and I can't imagine wanting to grow out hennaed hair (which I will have until then cause I don't want unnatural dye anymore!!) and will probably chop it all off!! (Then I'll undoubtedly grow again lol).

Medievalmaniac
January 24th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Chopped mine into a Lady Di super-bob in an effort to be professional and chic. It didn't work, lol.

That was years ago, and I haven't cut since 2007 and don't intend to!

jojo
January 24th, 2011, 04:28 AM
I went for what I thought was a drastic cut in 2005 and walked out of the hairdressers with a much more drastic cut; I wanted my nearly waist length to be cut to bsl to get rid of layers. The stupid idiot of a hair dresser took me to (and there really is no description of the monstrosity I walked out with) cropped back, uneven covered (just) ears on one side, above on the other and a million and one layers; a total balls up!

Its taken me all this time to get to just past waist and I think you can guess whether I liked the cut or not! I actually went on anti-depressants it upset me that much and if I ever post something along the lines of I want my hair cut, I will personally pay you to come to my house and lock me in my cellar until I come to my senses!!!

Purdy Bear
January 24th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Of the two times I had a choice, I would say I definately regretted it. The first was just past BSL to a Princess Diana do, and it took about a month to get really sick of it; the second was BSL to short and it took about a day.

My hair just doesnt like short and definately not layers, it just sticks up all over the place and I used to have to wash it daily to look even close to reasonable.

The last time I shaved my last hairs off, and it was a bit liberating, but I didnt like it, so I keep the hair I have.

stefafra
January 24th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Yes, I had it cut very short, liked it for a while, disliked a lot having to go to the hairdresser every month to keep it looking good, and not looking like a curly mushroom or a "little old lady" perm.
I'm wavy but get curly if short, nice curls but not much to do to style them, they go back to wherever they want to go in no time. And I don't like hairspray, gel and other gluey stuff on my head.
I decided to grow it back and never regretted it a bit.

Messyhair
January 24th, 2011, 07:26 AM
I had my hair chopped from hip to shoulders in early 2006 because the hairdresser couldn't figure out how to do a u-shaped trim back to waist length. Rather than just admit that, she hacked it all off my head. Sigh. Needless to say, I hated it and bawled like crazy in the salon.

I was upset about it for quite a while and chopped more and dyed several hues before I finally got up the nerve to grow it back. This time, no hairdressers.

craftybunn
January 24th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Yes. It seems I am a grow/chop/grower too. I am determined that will not happen this time. I usually cycle from just below BSL to chin. I like the chin length but feel wierd with short hair. I immediately start growing it out again. I hate every length in between so I don't know why I keep doing it. Never again!!! I'm going to grow it to waist or tail bone, work on getting it really thick and healthy, and there it shall stay!!

rags
January 24th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I've only cut my hair short twice as an adult. Several years ago (05, 06? ) I cut my TB length hair to just touching my shoulders as I had lost over half of it due to medication. I kept that for a couple of years as I was trying to gain some of my thickness back. That one I regretted only because I missed my long hair; the short definetely looked better when losing your hair!!

The second one was just this past October when I chopped it from BSL to a long pixie. I'd never had truly "short" hair before (really above shoulders) and wanted to try it. I hated it from the second or third day and can't wait to grow it back out.

scorpio_rising
January 24th, 2011, 07:46 AM
I have gone from tailbone to shaved, waist to pixie, and BSL to chin length, and each time I LOVED it.

hibiscus
January 24th, 2011, 07:50 AM
--------------------

Belledandy
January 24th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I went from hip to shoulder when I was about 9 and liked it for maybe all of a day. Once the novelty wore off, serious regret! A few years ago I went from tailbone to a high waist to get rid of the dry scraggly ends and damage (This was before I learned so much at LHC!) and was happy with it, although I missed the length.

pepperminttea
January 24th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Several years ago I had my BSL/MBL-ish hair (at that point, the longest it'd ever been) cut to chin length to get rid of all the old dye/perm damage. I hated chin length, it's easily the most annoying hair length I've ever had, but I was glad to get rid of all the damage. If I had a drastic cut again though, I don't think I'd ever go shorter than ponytail-able length, I need to be able to tie it back.

Intransigentia
January 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I've always been a drastic chop kind of person. Gone from below BSL to pixie then grown out several times. Never regretted it.

Except the time I went from below BSL to shoulder. Jerk hairdresser would not believe that I really wanted a short, severe, angled-forward bob, and gave me a shoulder-length, pouffy-banged, nothing-bleah style. I still haven't forgiven him.

HairFaerie
January 24th, 2011, 09:46 AM
BSL to mohawk! That's pretty drastic. :)

QMacrocarpa
January 24th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Probably shoulder+ to a very boy-looking cut at around 14 years old was the most regrettable one. Getting asked by strangers whether I was a boy or girl wasn't very fun. And it went through some "interesting" phases as it grew out. More recently, I had it at chin length for a while, which I liked pretty well, but I didn't like the way it looked growing back to shoulder, so I likely won't do it again, as my husband prefers my hair longer, and in my family of origin longer hair is the more rebellious choice. :p

IndigoAsh
January 24th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I cut my hair in 2004ish from bsl to an inch short and it was the only thing I regret thus far in life.

anodyne_ame
January 24th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I cut my waist length hair to roughly 2". I didn't regret it at first, because I had always had long hair and wanted to experience how much different and easier super short hair was. The only thing I regret is not trying out braids or dreadlocks or any other funky style. Now I like my straight hair too much to try.

littlenvy
January 24th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I have cut my hair very very short about 3 times in my life. I think I liked it only once. The other times I liked it only for the first two days after I left the hairdresser's.
I guess the feeling I hated the most was when I tried to run the brush through my hair only to have it scrape my neck :p

Cupofmilk
January 24th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I cut 18 inches off in dec 2009. Silly decision was pushed into it by family members. I am grown woman for goodness sake. I wanted a cut - 6 inches would have done it .

Caldonia Sun
January 24th, 2011, 01:30 PM
APL to short shag, shoulder length to pixie several times, yep, BTDT. I was fine with it because I like short hair, too, and think I look nice with it. And I always knew it would grow back.

teela1978
January 24th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I've done BSL to chin on more than one occasion. I never regret it until I start growing it back out. My hair looks nice short, but the maintenence of keeping it short isn't something I'm good at keeping up with.

lw8666
January 24th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I went from BSL to chin... but not by choice. And I regret it completely.
I had asked for 1 inch off my length and a little off my layers to freshen things up. It was my friend who just graduated from some cosmetology institute. She was inexperienced.
I was given some type of mullet, it was awful. The worst hair day of my Life!
I was then forced to go to my actual hair stylist and get a chin length bob.

Roscata
January 24th, 2011, 06:24 PM
When I was 16 I cut my hair from waist length to a pixie cut, I loved my short hair for 10 years after that, now I'm bored and growing it out again.
Also in 2006 I shaved my head. I definitely love the fact that I did it. Some of the reactions people had were bothersome, but the hair itself never made me unhappy, I loved it. :D

constantki
January 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
My mom made me haha. I suppose I don't regret it, my hair was donated and I've since grown it back longer than it was.

rusika1
January 24th, 2011, 07:46 PM
You mean from mid-thigh to pixie/boy cut? It was the right decision for me at the time, and I did not regret it. I kept it that short for a couple of years.

I did regret the decision to keep bangs when I grew it back out, but by then it would have taken too long for them to catch back up.

The next time I only went from tailbone to pixie/boycut. Still didn't regret it, but eventually really missed braids. When I grew out that time, I made sure to grow out my bangs too.

I'm regretting this weekend's cut from just shy of classic to just above tailbone more than those extreme cuts. (Even though my ends look much better.)

mellie89
January 24th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I went from waist-ish to chin when I was 12. I think I cried for about a week... I absolutely hated it!

Aleria
January 25th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Yep, from BSL to an angled bob that's chin at the front and barely an inch long at the back. I love it, but miss my waves, which disappeared along with my length :(

akka naeda
January 25th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Yes.
I buzzed waist length hair.

It was great, but I did it in the winter without thinking about the contrast between having thick hair and no hair:rolleyes:.

I did regret it in a way because I began to wish I could do more with my hair again, so I grew it back but that wasn't immediate. This is why I haven't cut my hair since - I know I'd start missing the ability to do things with it.

saf
January 25th, 2011, 03:14 AM
crops, lots of crops and bleached crops. loved them. Barbara Striesand perm in the 70's after watching A Star is Born. Great! loved that too.

Allychan
January 25th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Yep, when I was 12. Myself and my twin both had beautiful waist length hair. A hairdresser moved in next door and convinced my mum to let her cut our hair.
She cut it into layers at shoulder length. I soon discovered I had two cowlicks and a large forehead.
Hated it.

NouvelleNymphe2
February 2nd, 2011, 02:41 AM
Oh yeah. I'm a finey (and darn proud!!). Couple this with chemical coloring and heat styling and eventually my hair would break off near the scalp. This has happened in a tearful way twice. Never again. Current hairs are 100% natural and I have NO NO NO intention of adding color, bangs, layers, heat styling...notta nothin! Some of the most beautiful hair I have seen on this site is 100% natural cared for with benign neglect. The LHC's beautiful haired ladies have changed my ways!:cheese:

vintersaga
February 2nd, 2011, 03:18 AM
Yes, I buzzed BSL hair. Even though I sometimes missed the length of my hair, I haven't regret it for a second, as my hair was so tangly and difficult to handle due to old damage. It gave me a once-in-a-lifetime-chance to start over with healthy well-cared virgin hair :crush:

FoxRain
February 2nd, 2011, 03:40 AM
I shaved my hair off a few months ago. I don't regret it per say, I just regret having gotten to the point where that was the only solution.
The haircut is fun though. It has confirmed my belief that my hair tends to naturally style itself in a mohawk :p

oktobergoud
February 2nd, 2011, 03:47 AM
I had black BLACK collarbone length hair and bleached it to platinum and it was SO DEAD I had it cut off into a pixie. Thing is, the black hair was from growing out a pixie before haha. But yeah, after that I never had long hair again! Too impatient etc. But I'm going to try again.. and again.. and again ;)

Flutterbee
February 2nd, 2011, 05:24 AM
I cut from BSL to chin last May and I learned that anything above shoulder is not flattering on me. I'm woefully growing it back out now. Live and learn, I suppose.

dernhelm
February 2nd, 2011, 06:50 AM
Several times. Last time was about two years ago, I cut from bsl to shoulder (and it was a horrible haircut to boot, shrinkage was insane). I cut my hair thinking it was damaged, but after doing some research, I found out that my hair was over conditioned and just needed protein.

Big regret. Still working on growing it out.

Cybelle
February 2nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Like I have said in some other posts. Only did a drastic cut at the age of 7 went from MBL to a short ear length bowl cut thing. regretted it and will never do something so drastic again.

MAO
February 2nd, 2011, 10:55 AM
Not really drastic.....it usually goes in stages. My hair actually looks pretty good short, but the last cut, the lady cut my top layers too short and now it is pretty unmanagable and wild looking. Neck to SL is always a PITA! I don't know why I keep doing it!