PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Surgery style

Animae
January 23rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
I'm going to have surgery next week and I'm wondering what the best way to wear my hair is to keep it out of the way. I'm thinking a single english braid or pigtail braids.

My hair is slightly below BSL right now.

ravenreed
January 23rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
I am also having surgery soon. I have a cyst on my ovary and they will take out the cyst and the ovary it is stuck to. I hadn't even thought about my hair. I will probably do double dutch braids because I don't know how long I will be in the hospital. If it goes well and they can do a laparoscopy, it is an in and out. If they have to open up my abdomen, it is a two to four day stay.

bluesnowflake
January 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
I think any secure double braids would be best- probably French or Dutch. You could also braid bun it high on your head so the pillow wouldn't rub on it as much. If you can, get a relative to comb out your hair if the surgery prevents you from doing that. Good luck with the surgery and best wishes for a fast recovery!

teela1978
January 23rd, 2011, 03:52 PM
I think double braids are best. Straight down the back can be uncomfortable to sleep on, plus they always seem easier to re-do if they start looking too frizzy.

Animae
January 23rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
I think that i'm going with the two braids, that seems to be the best solution.

I shouldn't have to stay at the hospital more than overnight(unless something goes odd). thank you all for the suggestions!!!!

silverjen
January 23rd, 2011, 03:58 PM
I had surgery a few years back. When I was arranging myself on the table before going under, I was specifically instructed to pull my gown out and make sure it wasn't bunched up under me. I believe that's because they didn't want anything bruising me or cutting off my circulation. I guess when you're under anesthesia you can't unconsciously adjust your position to be comfortable, as you do when you're sleeping.

For that reason, I'd consider double braids, rather than a single one. You'll want your hair to be to either side, not under you. The back of your head will be resting on the table, and if it was resting on a braid lump as well, you could get a sore spot. I hope that makes sense.

WynneWear
January 23rd, 2011, 04:09 PM
A very high bun so you won't rest on the bun while your head is on the pillow or two braids on either side of your head so you won't have pressure points. It's likely that you'll have to wear a surgical cap or two so make sure the style is easy to put up into a cap. Don't worry if you have too much hair for one or two caps; they will use as many as it takes to cover your hair (usually, if a cap is needed).

LadyG
January 23rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Also, remember, you won't be able to use anything with metal in your hair- safety factor of surgery.

Florida Mom
January 23rd, 2011, 05:26 PM
I recently had knee surgery. The doctors told me to put my hair in a high bun - for comfort and safely. Good luck!

Toothe
January 23rd, 2011, 06:01 PM
I would suggest oiling it and doing two French or Dutch braids, which would also contain the shorter lengths if you have those around your face. The trouble with a high bun might be if you also have shorter lengths at the nape, those can come loose and become a tangled, damaged rat's nest.

rusika1
January 23rd, 2011, 07:39 PM
I knew I had seen an old thread somewhere on here! This thread had some good suggestions for long hair and hospital stays.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13161&highlight=hospital

kittensoupnrice
January 23rd, 2011, 09:21 PM
I was going to possibly have surgery a while back and did heidi braids w/ hair taping.
It worked really well. I didn't have to lie on my hair, the braids stayed up and out of the way on top of my head, and since I used hair ties and ribbon there was no metal to worry about.

Bast
January 23rd, 2011, 09:41 PM
You will also want to ask - it may be possible that you will have to have all your hair up under a surgical cap while you're in surgery. In that case, a reverse french braid (one where you start at the nape of your neck and braid towards the top of your head) or a high bun would probably be best.

Yes, you see pictures of people having surgery with hair flowing over the end of the table...but that is either an extreme case or posed. There is enough stuff going on around your head that you don't want your hair hanging and the anesthesiologist won't want your hair in the way, either. They like to put stuff right next to your head on the table, who knows where tape will be flying, and they will also have to reposition your head for the anesthesia, so all careful braid placement will go out the window.

SummerSkye
January 24th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I had an operation just under two weeks ago. I pulled my hair back into a ponytail with a cotton band and it just got pushed up under the theatre hat during the surgery. If you are going to be in hospital for a wee while I think your hair would look great in two simple plaits. Hope everything goes well and you recover soon!

Rabya-Khadija
January 24th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I would use a scrunchie without a metal bit and bun it on top of my head :)

Cupofmilk
January 24th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I had a c-section after being ill for approxiately 2 months of bedrest where I was too ill to get up the stairs. Some days I was in so much pain I couldnt' brush my hair. I had it in a single braid at the time - a low one - I would agree with the above advice 2 braids would ahev been better. Good luck xx

ScarlettAdelle
January 24th, 2011, 02:04 PM
When I go in for my surgery I intend to wear my hair in double Indian style knotted buns, pigtail style. They require no pins or bands, are super comfy, they're cute (not a necessity, but I'm already gonna be in pain, I don't want to feel like scragglezor at the same time)

Sanyia
January 24th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I would do a crown braid, it won't get in the way, and you will be comfortable.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 24th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I had my hair in a scrunchy bun during my surgery and for two weeks afterwards. It's placed high on my head so it's well out of the way.

kwaniesiam
January 24th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Two french braids would be my vote, they'll stay in better than english braids and will be comfortable to lay on while you're in recovery.

pepperedmoth
January 24th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I'm going to have surgery next week and I'm wondering what the best way to wear my hair is to keep it out of the way. I'm thinking a single english braid or pigtail braids.

My hair is slightly below BSL right now.

Depends what kind of surgery you're having, therefore how you'll be positioned on the table. Flat on your back? One side? Lithotomy (GYN examination position)? Face down?

If you want, you could even call and ask your surgeon or his office staff how you'll be positioned. Then you can arrange your hair accordingly.

ETA: And yes, you'll likely have a cap over it, so keep that in mind.