PDA

View Full Version : Cleansing/clearifying shampoo?

ChatNoir
January 23rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
Basic question really...

Since I'm veeery into cones, I think I need a clearifying shampoo for my fine/thin hair :) I'm shedding like crazy now and I want to get rid of some build-up. Any suggestions? Preferably something I might find here in Norway, but I'll take all suggestions... If it comes to it, I'll find something on the Internetzzz :eyebrows:

Thanks beforehand!:cheese:

jojo
January 23rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
I use pantene clarifying shampoo and get good results; I wash 3 times when clarifying.

I have tried baking soda but it dried my hair to candy floss urgh!

Tia2010
January 23rd, 2011, 04:29 PM
For a milder clarifying I like Giovanni hydrating/clarifying. It's my favorite of all I have tried. It's not to drying. If I want a stronger one I liked V05 Kiwi clarifying shampoo. Prell classic ( in the bottle) is also a good shampoo for clarifying even though it isn't actually a clarifying shampoo it's good at removing buildup.

MinderMutsig
January 23rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
The thing is, Europe doesn't do clarifying shampoo. Your best bet would be to either order something online or do a baking soda wash and vinegar rinse.

Thinthondiel
January 23rd, 2011, 05:15 PM
There aren't any shampoos marketed as clarifying here in Norway, but a regular SLS shampoo will do the trick (i.e. a shampoo with sodium lauryl/laureth sulphate) as long as it doesn't contain cones (any incredient ending in -cone, the most common being dimethicone, I think).

Most shampoos in Norway contain SLS - it's harder to find one that doesn't. Shampoos for greasy hair are probably more clarifying than others (but they can dry your hair out, like any clarifying shampoo).

Roscata
January 23rd, 2011, 05:38 PM
You could try baking soda. :D
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Go-No-Poo/

Thinthondiel
January 23rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
Baking soda can also be mixed with a regular SLS shampoo to make the shampoo 'more' clarifying (or a non-sulphate shampoo to make it clarifying). Oh, and you may already be aware of this, but just to be certain (since many Norwegians make this mistake) - baking soda isn't the same as baking powder, it's what we call 'natron'. :)

Shermie Girl
January 23rd, 2011, 08:56 PM
Any clear or semi clear shampoo that contains ALS or SLS and no cones will clarify your hair. I just use VO5 Champagne Kiss shampoo. Two good shampoos, leaving the second one in a minute or so then rinsing does the trick. SLS is far less drying to my hair than baking soda and vinegar and does a better job, too. :D

ChatNoir
January 24th, 2011, 02:03 AM
There aren't any shampoos marketed as clarifying here in Norway, but a regular SLS shampoo will do the trick (i.e. a shampoo with sodium lauryl/laureth sulphate) as long as it doesn't contain cones (any incredient ending in -cone, the most common being dimethicone, I think).

Most shampoos in Norway contain SLS - it's harder to find one that doesn't. Shampoos for greasy hair are probably more clarifying than others (but they can dry your hair out, like any clarifying shampoo).

Thank you! (Takk! :D) Good to hear some advice from a fellow Norwegian. I'll be on the look out for none-coney shampoos.
I don't think I'll clarify with baking soda (thanks for the tip of difference between the natron and the baking powder! :D ) since my hair is quite fragile...

And to aaaall the others! :D Thank you so much for your response! :cheese:

MinderMutsig
January 24th, 2011, 03:18 AM

Any clear or semi clear shampoo that contains ALS or SLS and no cones will clarify your hair. I just use VO5 Champagne Kiss shampoo. Two good shampoos, leaving the second one in a minute or so then rinsing does the trick. SLS is far less drying to my hair than baking soda and vinegar and does a better job, too. :D
Sorry but this is no true. The color of a shampoo says nothing about whether it contains coating ingredients (there are more coating ingredients than just cones!) or ingredients that can build-up, and just containing SLS or ALS does not make it a clarifying shampoo. In fact, most regular shampoos contain coating ingredients and ingredients that can build-up over time.

A true clarifier does not contain coating ingredients or ingredients that can build-up and contains enough (often pretty harsh) stripping and cleansing agents to clean he hair and remove build-up that was caused by other shampoos, conditioners and products.

Melisande
January 24th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I don't know how "scientific" or helpful this is, but I use Lush BIG for clarifying. It is very strong and my hair likes sea salt. I have to dilute it because it's so strong. But it really leaves my hair bare of anything.

I don't have much buildup, though, and I don't use cones.

Thinthondiel
January 24th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Sorry but this is no true. The color of a shampoo says nothing about whether it contains coating ingredients (there are more coating ingredients than just cones!) or ingredients that can build-up, and just containing SLS or ALS does not make it a clarifying shampoo. In fact, most regular shampoos contain coating ingredients and ingredients that can build-up over time.

A true clarifier does not contain coating ingredients or ingredients that can build-up and contains enough (often pretty harsh) stripping and cleansing agents to clean he hair and remove build-up that was caused by other shampoos, conditioners and products.

Ah, okay, I haven't heard this before. I can't say I've ever experienced any build-up with SLS shampoos, though - they tend to make my hair feel completely stripped if I don't dilute them.

madeline_
January 24th, 2011, 06:17 AM
The thing is, Europe doesn't do clarifying shampoo. Your best bet would be to either order something online or do a baking soda wash and vinegar rinse.

They do, but not in mass-consumption. You have to look at more niche brands, and usually they aren't even called "clarifying". I had my hands on this one from Toni & Guy a few days back and didn't buy it and now I'm kicking myself since I don't know when I'll get back into that shop again. The shop is called Di, which I think you have in the Netherlands? Or maybe it's Etos over there? Anyway, it's called Toni & Guy Detox It, and google gives me pretty good reactions on it as a clarifier. It's 8 euros for a rather large-sized bottle. As soon as I get I'll post the ingredients in the MSS thread to see if it gets the nod from Ktani.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=85528/Detox_It_Shampoo/Toni_&_Guy/Shampoo

http://resources.shopstyle.com/sim/8d/30/8d3036f3e9b1ae60326a0aae76bcadcc/toni-guy-boots-shampoo-detox-shampoo-200ml.jpg

MinderMutsig
January 24th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Ah, okay, I haven't heard this before. I can't say I've ever experienced any build-up with SLS shampoos, though - they tend to make my hair feel completely stripped if I don't dilute them. That is probably because shampoos and conditioners over here contain less of those coating ingredients so there isn't as much build-up. Probably because heat styling is not as popular here as it is in the States so we don't need as much coatings to protect the hair.

Even within brands they modify the ingredients for the European or US market. You can buy the same brand and same type of shampoo here and in the US and the ingredient list can look completely different.