PDA

View Full Version : How much has fish oil made a difference to your hair?

TropicalBreeze
January 23rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
I just started taking a really high dose, good quality fish oil for overall health. I've heard that it's great for your hair, nails and skin. What is your experience with it with regards to your hair?

ravenreed
January 23rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
I took fish oil capsules for 10 years and never noticed a difference in my hair and my nails are quite frankly a disaster. I stopped taking them about 6 months ago and again, no difference that I can see.

enfys
January 23rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
What constitutes a "really high dose"? There are negative side effects to over dosing on fish oil.

I take a capsule with every meal but that is for the brain function; university students do miss out on nutrients!

I've been taking it for about two weeks and haven't noticed any changes in by skin or hair that couldn't be accounted for my a pile of other things.

Roseate
January 23rd, 2011, 02:45 PM
I haven't noticed a difference in my hair or nails; I've been taking it for 2 years. It's supposed to be great for general health, though, so I've stayed on it.

RadiantNeedle
January 23rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
I'm taking it more for my brain than hair, skin or nails. I can think a little clearer, but I've not been taking it long.
Haven't noticed anything else.

clairenewcastle
January 23rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
For about a decade I took 500mg of cod liver oil every day (along with other vitamins).
I stopped a couple of years ago due to digestive issues and was convinced for a while that my hair tangled more without the cod liver oil.

Flaxen
January 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
I've been taking it for a couple of years because I eat very little (okay, almost no) fish, and I haven't noticed any effect on my hair. :shrug:

QMacrocarpa
January 23rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
I take it to prevent/reduce moodiness and depression. I take 1000 mg per day most of the time, 2000 mg when I seem to be most susceptible. I wouldn't take more than 3000 mg per day without getting a doctor's ok. I never heard about a hair/nails/skin angle, and I don't see much mention of hair/nails/skin on the list of conditions it may be effective at treating here (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/993.html), though perhaps that list is not exhaustive.

Sister13
January 23rd, 2011, 05:05 PM
I take Cod liver oil and an Omega3-6-9 veggie approximation called Udo's Choice Oil. Winter in NYC is an itchy disaster without it. When I don't take it, my nails flake, chip & break. So I consider it a cornerstone of my vitamin regimen.

McFearless
January 23rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
I didn't notice any change in my hair. I thought it was supposed to help with the formation of hair, not its condition. Same goes for evening primrose oil but I didn't know that until someone mentioned it on this board.

PeaceLoveHair
January 23rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
I'm convinced that the Omega 3-6-9 I take helps my hair. When I take it my hair seems to grow healthier. So do my nails. I take 3 capsules daily along wiht my multiviatamins and vitamin D ( in the winter) and vitamin C.

Nae
January 24th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I haven't noticed any big difference but I take it more for other things and not so much the hair. I figure that as long as I get the nutrients I need my hair ought to be alright.