PDA

View Full Version : Comfy protective updo?

FluffSpider
January 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hello, LHC! In a week, I'll have to make a rather long train journey( 12 hours-ish), and awkwardly enough, I'm most stressed about what I'll do with my hair during that time. Can you suggest some protective updos, casual ones, which will let me rest on the back of my head(lazy buns aren't exactly comfortable to rest one's head on)? I wouldn't dare leave it loose, as the train system in Romania is notorious for the filthy state of the chairs, and I have NO idea how the dorm I'm going to live in for the next week will be like-I don't even know if it's going to be heated enough for me to be able to wash my hair properly and not get a cold.

spidermom
January 23rd, 2011, 12:36 PM
Personally, I'd go with braids, 2 or more.

FluffSpider
January 23rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Yes, but I'm a bit apprehensive about the braids dangling about, as the chairs and back of chairs are rather dirty-I think a full up-do would minimise the dirtying. I'm actually thinking of wrapping atleast some parts of the bun with some decorative material

Madora
January 23rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Can you put some kind of towel or cloth on your train chair? then toss it once you arrive at your destination? Or perhaps tape plain paper to the area where your head is going to rest?

As for hairstyles..if you can do a lace braid around your head, that should be comfortable to wear on a long journey.

Or perhaps wear a scarf or hat to protect your hair?

FluffSpider
January 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
I was thinking of cutting garbage bags flat and taping them- I'm not usually a germ freak, but having "infested" hair for almost a week in case they don't have proper heating there isn't really appealing to me.
Thank you for the ideas, Madora!I'll definitely try some at home, see how I cope with them

eezepeeze
January 23rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
Check out torrinpaige's elizabethan hair taping video. It's really easy, stays with ribbons or pins, and is protective. It's not too uncomfortable to sleep in, either, in case you can't wash your hair. Another style to think about is Heidi/milkmaid braids, which is also easy to do and is comfortable to sleep in.

Good luck on your journey!

enfys
January 23rd, 2011, 01:24 PM
for a 14 hour coach trip, I just wore an English braid. I don't let my hair hang behind me in harms way; I pull it over my shoulder. Sometimes I tuck it inside my jacket too.
As for washing it, take dry shampoo and practise scalp washing. Use the dry shampoo as long as you can, and scalp wash if it gets too bad.

FluffSpider
January 23rd, 2011, 01:28 PM
Aww, thank you! I hope it'll be OK-I'm going to the national phase of some contest,I hope it'll be as fine as last year ( All I'm begging for is: heat, hot water, cleanliness)
Both hairstyles look amazing^.^ I may just gather some ideas and put them all in one

pepperminttea
January 23rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Ditto the braided suggestions, especially Heidi braids, since that'll keep them out the way. Also, would it be worth wearing a not-your-favourite headscarf over the top to protect it from the seat (and the nasties it might contain)? Not meaning to further your paranoia, it's something I worry about too, and then you could just wash the head scarf when you arrive. :)

FluffSpider
January 23rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
I used dry shampoo (talcum powder)when stretching my washes-it's not the greasies I'm afraid of, it's the fact that while there, I'd like to enjoy my hair, and my little paranoia-maggot would constantly scream at me: YOU KNOW THE HAIR THAT'S ON YOUR FACE NOW HAS TOUCHED A SEAT IN WHICH VARIOUS PEOPLE WHO WASH OR DON'T WASH HAVE SAT IN?
I think I'll go with a hybrid between those styles- I'll experiment this week and post some pics if Lady Genius smiles at me:)

1hunky5monkeys
January 23rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
When traveling, I tend to bun my hair at the nape of my neck. That way, I can lean my head back comfortably. :)

jojo
January 23rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
I have a 16 hour flight in just over a week and intend to do a side braid which i can wear over my shoulder.

spidermom
January 23rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
I'd definitely cover the back of the seat with something that I'd throw away when I'm done with it.

Panth
January 23rd, 2011, 02:20 PM
Heidi braids. Possibly taped (see torrinpaige's youtube for a nice tutorial) for added durability. Also, if the seats are as bad as you say, I'd be inclined to cover my hair with some sort of scarf/shawl/bandana/hat for the entire journey.

GrowingGlory
January 23rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
I suggest a bee's butt bun held with spin pins, covered with a polar or merino buff from Planet Buff. They have antibacterial silver technology and they are on sale.

Rowanne
January 23rd, 2011, 02:50 PM
If there's no hot water from the shower but there's a water kettle or a stove or anything you can use to heat water, you can take a plastic bottle, mix cold and boiled water in it and then wash your hair with it. I suggest practicing at home first. I once crossed Russia with a train and I took "showers" in the toilet using this method. I think I needed only 1 litre of water to wash myself from head to toe but my hair was only about APL at the time, you might need a little more to rinse yours properly.

If the floor is too cold for your feet you can wear plastic sandals that won't mind getting wet but if the room itself is too cold for showers I guess there's not much you can do about it... Hope it turns out all right and you have a wonderful trip!

Paranda Belle
January 24th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I'd suggest torrinpage's ropebraided vortex bun. It sits around the head (rather than on it like a normal bun), is comfy and stays put. You could always use a bun cover to put over it if you have concerns about dirt.

Intransigentia
January 24th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I was going to suggest Heidi braids as well, or else the Frida Kahlo variation where you braid a scarf into the braids - if the scarf is long enough you can continue to wrap the ends around your head and keep your hair well-covered.

Rowanne
February 12th, 2011, 02:28 AM
I have a 16 hour flight in just over a week and intend to do a side braid which i can wear over my shoulder.

This has become my favourite style whenever I travel or need to keep my hair out of the way and bunning it is not an option. It's fast and easy to do and the braid won't get caught under bags or bag straps or between my back and the seat. Besides, I think it looks better than normal braid since my hair isn't hiding behind my back.

SolSara
February 12th, 2011, 03:04 AM
You have already gotten the ideas I was going to suggest, but here goes anyway. ;) English braid that you take over on your front and tuck into your jacket/sweater and something to cover the head rest or your head, maybe a warm hat that you can wash afterwards. That way you will be able to travel very comfortably and still don't get any nasty at all on your hair. :) If you are really protective you can wrap the braid in a silk scarf before tucking it in, that way it won't rough up as much.

I travel several hours every week and there is no bun at all that will let me rest my head comfortably on every kind of head rests. French braids are also uncomfortable for me, because that create bumps between the head and the head rest. So I always go for an ordinary english braid over the shoulder. :)