PDA

View Full Version : Help me avoid cutting....

Bucatini
June 8th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Please help! I have been thinking so much about cutting.

A few months ago, I framed a family photo from some summer event 5-ish years ago with my hair at what we call "flip length" here (below the ears, above shoulders). I instantly wanted to have my hair like that again, but I can't determine if I looked better, or simply younger in the photo.

So yesterday a (very stylish) friend came to my place for the first time and she saw the photos and immediately she said "wow you hair looks so awesome short! You should do that for summer!"

I know that I will hate it. I know that my waves will misbehave and not have enough length to form anything other than frizz. I know that I will be angry about having to blowdry and style every day. I know that I will not be able to make a nice big bun or any interesting updos.

Despite all of this "knowing" I still can't seem to shake the desire.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions or just want to yell at me not to do it? Help!

toodramatik
June 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
1/ If you cut it, there'll be so little of it that if it gets damaged and you have to cut it more.. :O well you get the picture
2/ You won't be able to do anything with it
3/ You won't be able to play with it flirtatiously (hey, it's one of my reasons for not cutting!)
4/ The cut will take.. what, half an hour? Growing it all back will take months, maybe years
5/ Your friend isn't the one who'll have to live with the cut, you are.
6/ There'll be plenty of people who think you look better now

amaiaisabella
June 8th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Can you try pinning your hair up to that length for a few days to see how it looks and get the shortness you crave without the permanency? That's all I can think of. :confused:

DecafJane
June 8th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Don't do it! It takes SO LONG to grow back, and all for a little bit of fun that won't last!!!

I'm currently kicking myself for cutting my hair last year. It just takes so fracking long to grow back, even when it grows at an average rate!!!

NormaRose
June 8th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Bucatini, I completely understand what you are feeling! Since March I've been fighting the urge to chop my hair back to shoulder length - partly because I was really unhappy with my taper and thin ends, and partly because I was just bored. This past Friday, I bought a pair of hair scissors and gave myself a 1-inch trim. What a difference!! I feel SO much better, my hair is still waist-length, and I didn't sacrifice the past 18 months of growth!

So I guess my point is, how about trying a small trim first? Then, if you're still not feeling better, maybe you can re-evaluate whether a bigger change is in order.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

someonesfaerie
June 8th, 2008, 07:46 PM
hun any one can have short hair, but few have it long.

spidermom
June 8th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I don't know anything at all about your hair. Perhaps a small change: get a trim, change the shape of the hem, wispy side-swept bangs, a little face-framing fringe. If you truly want long hair, know that you will not be happy to cut it. Enjoy looking at other people who have hair cuts. Enjoy looking at that picture from 5 years ago. And keep right on growing your hair.

Bucatini
June 8th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your support and ideas! I think part of the problem is that I've waited too long (4+ months) between trims and I have a serious taper happening, not to mention how thin it is.

spidermom since you asked, my hair type is like yours, 2c, but I think thinner than yours. Never knew my hair was wurly/curly until it was long, always thought it was just frizzy and "bad" because it was so dry and also it was never long enough length for a whole wave pattern to form.

That's the biggest problem with cutting, losing the wurlies. Well, besides the fact that cutting moves me away from my goal of waist-length!

Thank you all for supporting me. You give the best :grouphug: .

Ranee
June 8th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I thought about cutting too. And I actually went ou t and did it. Big mistake! Don't do it. You might feel happy about it at first, but you'll miss the length you lost later...

suicides_eve
June 9th, 2008, 07:59 PM
opt for a wig- i do - i think they are fun, you can change colors and lengths and they look so real nowadays -not like my greats wig i used to play with back in the day

Curlsgirl
June 9th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I know that I will hate it. I know that my waves will misbehave and not have enough length to form anything other than frizz. I know that I will be angry about having to blowdry and style every day. I know that I will not be able to make a nice big bun or any interesting updos.

Write this 100 times and check back with me in the morning. :shudder: You KNOW these things. Why would you even THINK about cutting????? I have those momentary moments of insanity too. My hair used to be just like you described when it was shorter: frizz-prone, high-maintenance and totally annoying! You will hate it after 2 weeks. Trust me.

Lamb
June 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Never knew my hair was wurly/curly until it was long, always thought it was just frizzy and "bad" because it was so dry and also it was never long enough length for a whole wave pattern to form.

You just described my hair. It is a longish bob at present, not quite shoulder length, and it is anywhere between a 2c and a 3b.

I can tell you, it is a major pain in the you-know-where. It is frizzy, it is dry, I can't put it up and unless I take the blowdryer and the round brush to it (which I haven't done for many years), every morning is like the lottery.

Do not cut! Next week, you will see a photograph of your hair long and you will regret having cut it on a whim.

banglaminerva
June 9th, 2008, 09:02 PM
If you cut, what fun will we have in trying to figure out how to wear our hairs for WD?!

Besides, if you cut, the only hairtoy I can think of making for you would be a bobbypin with some glitter glue blobbed onto the end. Everyone else will be getting Swarovski crystals ;)

FYI for everyone who now wonders what kind of obnoxious blankity-blank I am... Bucatini and I are in a wedding together in the Fall.

Bucatini
June 15th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Ok I have intentionally stayed away from this thread and followed Curlsgirl's instructions and I have juuuuussssst about gotten over it. Besides, Curlsgirl was the source of a gorgeous primavera ficcare on the swap board that I wouldn't be able to use if I cut.

lamb it's worse odds than the lottery. But you are correct and that made me smile.

banglaminerva you give me too much credit, you seem to forget that I'm only BSL and lack any creativity. IRL, do you do fun updo's? I think I've only ever seen you wear it down. We will have to get some thoughts flowing for WD.

Thank you, all, for your support. You all ROCK :flower:

banglaminerva
June 15th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I've been playing with updos but quick, easy ones for the most part... there's only so much time before I need to be at work! I have been playing at braids lately too.

whiteisle
June 15th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I'm definitely in the "Don't do it" camp! Been there, done that, total regret! Now I'm paying the piper. I thought going short again would make my life easier, that it wouldn't take as much time and effort as my longer hair was doing, but boy! was I ever WRONG! Even DH was gripping how much time I was spending on my pixie cut. Never again will I willingly go short. If I can ever manage to get my hair grown back out I will be so, so happy!

I guess what I should really say is just make sure you think long and hard about it. Like a pp said, it only takes a few minutes to take off but seemingly forever to get back. Good luck with your decision.:)

Bucatini
June 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I've been playing with updos but quick, easy ones for the most part... there's only so much time before I need to be at work! I have been playing at braids lately too.

Yeah my choices are bun, braided bun, and bee-butt bun which happened accidentally when I messed up a normal bun once. :) Lack of time and, lack of motivation.

yogachic
June 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I suggest wearing it up for a while, its summer and the heat will make you want it up anyway. If the urge doesn't subside, then maybe you really do like shorter hair more.

Toadstool
June 16th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Did you have the trim you were late getting? I'm sure that would help me in your situation.

goldenwaves
June 16th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I'd suggest, grow it to your goal length, keep it there for a while and see what you think.

Just_Isabel
June 16th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Fake a short bob! :D

See instructions here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41837&highlight=fake+bob) (in the archive). I did that when my hair was a somewhere around BSL, and it looked pretty nice. :)
The instructions cuddledumplin gave are really easy to follow, she even added pictures.

Curlsgirl
June 16th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Ok I have intentionally stayed away from this thread and followed Curlsgirl's instructions and I have juuuuussssst about gotten over it. Besides, Curlsgirl was the source of a gorgeous primavera ficcare on the swap board that I wouldn't be able to use if I cut.

:cheese: Yeah I was glad to read this!!!!

Blueneko
June 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Don't cut it! I pondered a summer cut myself, and it was foolishness!

Don't cut! Just pin it up.

bex487
June 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I agree with the suggestion another poster gave...get a trim, maybe cut some sideswept bangs in if you're really bored-but leave the length alone! Sometimes I just need a bit of a different style to keep from being bored, and that's when I'll trim my sideswept bangs a bit shorter.

ladystar
June 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
"DON'T CUT"!!!!! I hope you don't I really hope you don't !!! GOOD LUCK!!!

hippiechick1976
June 16th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Take 2 steps back. Do you remember where you were in life when your hair was short? do you remember getting up in the morning with your hair all sticking up straight? do you remember the routine of it all? I can look back and i can tell you I am too spoiled with my long hair thats so easy to care for in the AM. I can say I am lazy about it and I can say that people I haven't seen in awhile are amazed how gorgeous it is. Your choice but make sure you wait 2 weeks. I couldn't do it

busnutmedic
June 17th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I say don't cut - make it to your goal first. Then if you decide "Man, this just isn't for me," you can always trim or cut it then. I have to admit that I did start trimming before I got all the way to my goal (an inch away, I think), but I did make it fairly close before deciding I just couldn't have hair that length in that condition. Now I'm back where I started, lengthwise, which is hip length I think.

Bonnie

Xandergrammy
June 17th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I'm going to share with you the picture of myself that I use whenever I think it might be "fun" to have shorter hair. My hair does not behave unless it's very very short or long. You may use this picture for inspiration (or to scare the heck out of yourself!) :gabigrin:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/59e1dcab.jpg

vidgrl007
June 17th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Please,Please,dont cut you'll regret it.

lora410
June 17th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Every time I think of cutting I remember unruly waves that make my hair look god awful short. I would have no way of pulling it up on a bad hair day when that does happen. It would also require the blow dryer daily and flipping up the layers.I also remember the time I went in for a re-layer on my SL hair and came out with no more then 2" hair all around. Also it took me two years to get from SL to now; so I am not about to re-do it all over again when I know in two years I will be past my hair goal.

Bucatini
June 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I'm going to share with you the picture of myself that I use whenever I think it might be "fun" to have shorter hair. My hair does not behave unless it's very very short or long. You may use this picture for inspiration (or to scare the heck out of yourself!) :gabigrin:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/59e1dcab.jpg
Oh, Xandergrammy I'm sorry to say this, but that did it for me. The link to this post will be written down in a special place the next time the cutting bug comes around.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT! I didn't cut. I trimmed. The usual small amount only and nothing further. Onward to goal.

PS: Guida? Love it!

Xandergrammy
June 17th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Oh, Xandergrammy I'm sorry to say this, but that did it for me. The link to this post will be written down in a special place the next time the cutting bug comes around.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT! I didn't cut. I trimmed. The usual small amount only and nothing further. Onward to goal.

PS: Guida? Love it!

:cheer: YAY Bucatini! I'm very happy to help!! I work with a woman who keeps that picture on her computer to look at whenever she needs a laugh! :rollin:

And Guida is the little dog in the picture. She'll be 12 in September! :inlove: